|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It was the last of its kind.
(b) It was a family heirloom.
(c) It came from Paris.
(d) It came from Philadelphia.
2. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
(a) He can not hear her from across the room.
(b) He cannot see her from where he sits.
(c) He wants to pretend they are married.
(d) He wants to see how she would look there in place of his wife.
3. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
(a) She has worn her best dress.
(b) She has worn a bonnet on her head.
(c) She has tied a red ribbon in her hair.
(d) She has borrowed on of Zeena's dresses.
4. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Book-keeping and clerical work.
(b) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(c) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
(d) Making dresses and singing.
5. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Zeena's ghost.
(b) Societal oppression.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) Confusion of reality.
6. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
(a) He is poor and she has a dowry.
(b) She is industrious and he is lonely.
(c) He is old and she is young.
(d) She is beautiful and he is lonely.
7. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
(a) To show her his intentions.
(b) To demonstrate his ownership of her to Denis Eady.
(c) To console her.
(d) To steady her as they walk.
8. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
(b) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(c) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(d) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
9. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(b) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
(c) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
(d) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
10. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Leave them soon to find another job.
(b) Leave them soon to get married.
(c) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(d) Get a cold from walking home so often.
11. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
(a) Plenty of money and advice.
(b) Plenty of advice but little help.
(c) Plenty of help, but she rejected them.
(d) Money to start a new life for herself.
12. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
(b) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
(c) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
(d) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
13. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
(a) Their love for each other.
(b) Ethan's business.
(c) Mattie's desire to leave.
14. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
(a) Travel to Bettsbridge to see a new doctor.
(b) Threaten to leave Ethan.
(c) Travel to the Flats to pick up a hired girl.
(d) Bring Mattie to the train station.
15. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie will return to live with her own family.
(b) Mattie has found another post in town.
(c) Mattie has grown tired of Ethan's advances.
(d) Mattie will get married to Denis Eady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
2. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
3. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
4. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
5. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)