|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
(b) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
(c) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
(d) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
2. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
3. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
(a) The key to the house.
(b) The keys to the car.
(c) The key to the barn.
(d) The sled.
4. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(b) Leave them soon to find another job.
(c) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(d) Leave them soon to get married.
5. Most of the story takes place during which season?
6. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
(d) Haunted houses.
7. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Doing most of her chores for her.
(b) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
(c) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(d) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
8. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(b) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(c) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
(d) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
9. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
(b) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(c) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(d) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
10. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
(a) Kissing Mattie in the living room.
(b) Marrying Zeena.
(c) Not daring to touch Mattie's hand.
(d) Returning to starkfield.
11. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
12. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
(a) Ned Hale and Mattie Silver kissing.
(b) Zeena and Michael Eady kissing.
(c) Denis and Mattie Silver kissing.
(d) Ruth Varnum and Ned Hale kissing.
13. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
(b) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
(c) Giving Mattie orders.
(d) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
14. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
15. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of water.
(b) The motif of darkness.
(c) The motif of color.
(d) The motif of light.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
2. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
3. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
4. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
5. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)