|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Societal oppression.
(b) Confusion of reality.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) Zeena's ghost.
2. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
(a) His mother's presence in his home.
(b) Zeena's illness and death.
(c) Spending his evening with Mattie like a married couple.
(d) Spending his evening waiting for Zeena to arrive.
3. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She did not expect him to show up.
(b) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(c) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(d) She was not looking for him.
4. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
(a) Mattie's desire to leave.
(c) Their love for each other.
(d) Ethan's business.
5. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) Mattie knocks it off the table.
(b) Ethan knocks it off the table.
(c) The cat knocks it off the table.
(d) The dog knocks it off the table.
6. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) Six months.
(b) Five years.
(c) A year.
(d) One month.
7. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
(a) He cannot see her from where he sits.
(b) He wants to see how she would look there in place of his wife.
(c) He wants to pretend they are married.
(d) He can not hear her from across the room.
8. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(b) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(c) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
(d) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
9. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(b) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(c) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(d) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
10. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Mattie and Denis.
(b) Ethan and Zeena.
(c) Ned and Ruth.
(d) Jothan and Mattie.
11. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(b) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(c) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
12. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
(b) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
(c) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
(d) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
13. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
(a) Threaten to leave Ethan.
(b) Bring Mattie to the train station.
(c) Travel to the Flats to pick up a hired girl.
(d) Travel to Bettsbridge to see a new doctor.
14. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The promise of continuance and stability.
(b) The threat of stagnancy.
(c) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(d) The threat of death.
15. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) He cannot run the farm without her help.
(b) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
(c) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(d) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
2. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
3. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
4. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
5. Most of the story takes place during which season?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)