|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Logic and reality.
(b) Fear and doom.
(c) Ugliness and coarseness.
(d) Fantasy and impermanence.
2. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of darkness.
(b) The motif of color.
(c) The motif of light.
(d) The motif of water.
3. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
(b) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
(c) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(d) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
4. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She did not expect him to show up.
(b) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(c) She was not looking for him.
(d) She was too busy talking to her friends.
5. Most of the story takes place during which season?
6. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(b) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
(c) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(d) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
7. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
(a) The keys to the car.
(b) The sled.
(c) The key to the house.
(d) The key to the barn.
8. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
(b) She is growing old.
(c) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(d) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
9. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(b) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(c) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
(d) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
10. Who visited Mattie while Ethan was away during the day?
(a) Jotham Powell.
(b) Denis Eady.
(c) Andrew Hale.
(d) Daniel Byrne.
11. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
(b) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(c) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(d) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
12. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(d) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
13. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(b) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(c) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(d) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
14. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
(a) He needs the exercise.
(b) These are the only opportunities he has to be alone with her.
(c) These are his only opportunities to be alone at night.
(d) They allow him to socialize with the townspeople.
15. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
(a) He is burning with jealousy.
(b) He wants her to swear she will never marry.
(c) Zeena wants him to encourage Mattie to leave.
(d) He is trying to get used to the idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
2. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
3. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
4. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
5. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)