|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) The radio.
(b) The television.
(c) Voices from the cemetery.
(d) Voices in her head.
2. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
(a) Plenty of advice but little help.
(b) Money to start a new life for herself.
(c) Plenty of help, but she rejected them.
(d) Plenty of money and advice.
3. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
(b) Brave enough to stand up to his wife.
(c) Pressure to succeed.
4. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(b) Book-keeping and clerical work.
(c) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
(d) Making dresses and singing.
5. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(b) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(c) She was not looking for him.
(d) She did not expect him to show up.
6. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(b) Eady is a known gold digger.
(c) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
(d) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
7. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
(b) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
(c) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
(d) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
8. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie has grown tired of Ethan's advances.
(b) Mattie has found another post in town.
(c) Mattie will return to live with her own family.
(d) Mattie will get married to Denis Eady.
9. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
(a) A spark of curiosity.
(b) A spark of life.
(c) A spark of industry.
(d) A spark of sociability.
10. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has work to do in his study.
(b) He has to go over the mill accounts.
(c) He has to rebuild the fire.
(d) He has to tend to the horses.
11. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
(a) He can tell Mattie of his troubles with Zeena.
(b) He can marry Mattie when Zeena dies.
(c) He can leave Mattie to take care of herself.
(d) He can share some of his passions with Mattie.
12. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
(a) Watches them through narrowed eyes.
(b) Falls asleep on top of Mattie's sewing.
(c) Watches Ethan and hisses at him.
(d) Claws at Mattie when she sits in Zeena's chair.
13. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(b) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(c) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(d) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
14. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
(a) Driving the lumber to town.
(b) Working familiar outdoor tasks.
(c) Talking to Zeena.
(d) Feeding the horses.
15. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
(a) Sews near the lamp.
(b) Glues the dish back together.
(c) Sews in the kitchen.
(d) Polishes the pickle dish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
2. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
3. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
4. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
5. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)