|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
(b) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(c) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
(d) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
2. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
(a) It is too cold outside.
(b) Mattie forgot their plans to go sledding.
(c) Ethan forgot their plans to go sledding.
(d) It is too dark outside.
3. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
(a) Ned Hale and Mattie Silver kissing.
(b) Zeena and Michael Eady kissing.
(c) Denis and Mattie Silver kissing.
(d) Ruth Varnum and Ned Hale kissing.
4. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
(b) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
(c) He cannot run the farm without her help.
(d) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
5. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
(b) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
(c) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
(d) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
6. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
(a) It is bad luck to sled when there is no moon outside.
(b) It is so cold that he would not be able to steer the sled.
(c) It is so dark that they might hit the elm tree.
(d) It is so dark that they might not find their way home.
7. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
(a) The dog.
(b) The wind.
(c) The cat.
8. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
(a) Ethan forced her to work outside on the farm.
(b) Ethan would not permit her to leave the farm.
(c) She refused to take medications.
(d) She became obsessed with her own symptoms.
9. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
(a) Hale gets angry and asks Ethan to leave.
(b) Hale claims money is too tight for him at the moment.
(c) Hale suggests that Ethan work for him.
(d) Hale guesses that Ethan has lied to Zeena about money.
10. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
(b) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
(c) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
(d) Giving Mattie orders.
11. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
(a) She is beautiful and he is lonely.
(b) He is poor and she has a dowry.
(c) He is old and she is young.
(d) She is industrious and he is lonely.
12. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
(a) Wave from across the room.
(b) Cherry-colored hair.
(d) Cherry-colored scarf.
13. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady coming to visit her at the house.
(b) How beautiful she looks under the lamp.
(c) Ruth and Ned kissing behind the trees.
(d) Her clumsiness with the pickle dish.
14. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(b) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(c) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
(d) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
15. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It came from Paris.
(b) It was the last of its kind.
(c) It was a family heirloom.
(d) It came from Philadelphia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
2. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
3. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
4. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
5. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)