|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(b) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
(c) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(d) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
2. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(b) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(c) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
3. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(b) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(c) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(d) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
4. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is not satisfied with her work.
(b) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
(c) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
(d) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
5. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
(b) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
(c) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
(d) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
6. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
(a) If she loves him.
(b) If she would like to leave Starkfield with him.
(c) If she wants to continue working for him.
(d) If she would like to go coasting some night.
7. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
(b) Giving Mattie orders.
(c) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
(d) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
8. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
(a) Only thirty-five years old.
(b) Only twenty-eight years old.
(c) Only twenty-seven years old.
(d) Only twenty-five years old.
9. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
(b) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(c) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
(d) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
10. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(b) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(c) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
(d) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
11. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) The radio.
(b) The television.
(c) Voices in her head.
(d) Voices from the cemetery.
12. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(b) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
(c) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(d) Doing most of her chores for her.
13. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
(a) Travel to Bettsbridge to see a new doctor.
(b) Threaten to leave Ethan.
(c) Travel to the Flats to pick up a hired girl.
(d) Bring Mattie to the train station.
14. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
(a) These are the only opportunities he has to be alone with her.
(b) These are his only opportunities to be alone at night.
(c) They allow him to socialize with the townspeople.
(d) He needs the exercise.
15. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
(a) Ethan would not permit her to leave the farm.
(b) Ethan forced her to work outside on the farm.
(c) She became obsessed with her own symptoms.
(d) She refused to take medications.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
2. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
3. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
4. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
5. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)