|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She did not expect him to show up.
(b) She was not looking for him.
(c) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(d) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
2. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(b) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
(c) He does not know where Mattie is.
(d) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
3. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
(b) Haunted houses.
4. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
(a) Zeena wants him to encourage Mattie to leave.
(b) He is burning with jealousy.
(c) He is trying to get used to the idea.
(d) He wants her to swear she will never marry.
5. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She loves the town and its people.
(b) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(c) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
(d) She loves the farm life.
6. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(b) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(c) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(d) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
7. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Fantasy and impermanence.
(b) Ugliness and coarseness.
(c) Fear and doom.
(d) Logic and reality.
8. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) The church social is taking place.
(b) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
(c) The church services are taking place.
(d) A town meeting is taking place.
9. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
(a) Kissing the cat on the head.
(b) Holding her hands while they talk.
(c) Kissing the fabric she is sewing.
(d) Pressing his cheek against hers.
10. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(b) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
(c) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(d) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
11. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of light.
(b) The motif of darkness.
(c) The motif of water.
(d) The motif of color.
12. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
(a) Zeena and Michael Eady kissing.
(b) Ruth Varnum and Ned Hale kissing.
(c) Ned Hale and Mattie Silver kissing.
(d) Denis and Mattie Silver kissing.
13. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie has found another post in town.
(b) Mattie has grown tired of Ethan's advances.
(c) Mattie will return to live with her own family.
(d) Mattie will get married to Denis Eady.
14. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
(a) Cherry-colored hair.
(b) Cherry-colored scarf.
(c) Wave from across the room.
15. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
(a) Falls asleep on top of Mattie's sewing.
(b) Watches them through narrowed eyes.
(c) Watches Ethan and hisses at him.
(d) Claws at Mattie when she sits in Zeena's chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
2. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
3. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
4. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
5. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)