|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
(a) Bring the lumber to Mr. Hale.
(b) Drive her to Michael Eady's store.
(c) Drive her to the train station.
(d) Accompany her to the doctor's office.
2. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Zeena's ghost.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) Confusion of reality.
(d) Societal oppression.
3. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
(a) Travel to Bettsbridge to see a new doctor.
(b) Threaten to leave Ethan.
(c) Travel to the Flats to pick up a hired girl.
(d) Bring Mattie to the train station.
4. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
(a) How beautiful she looks under the lamp.
(b) Denis Eady coming to visit her at the house.
(c) Ruth and Ned kissing behind the trees.
(d) Her clumsiness with the pickle dish.
5. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(b) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
(c) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(d) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
6. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
(a) The key to the barn.
(b) The key to the house.
(c) The sled.
(d) The keys to the car.
7. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(b) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
(c) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
(d) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
8. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
(a) The chance to study astronomy.
(b) Friendly interactions with his classmates.
(c) The chance to discuss business among men.
(d) Dances where he might meet girls.
9. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
10. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
(a) If she would like to go coasting some night.
(b) If she loves him.
(c) If she wants to continue working for him.
(d) If she would like to leave Starkfield with him.
11. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Giving Mattie orders.
(b) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
(c) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
(d) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
12. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
(a) Zeena is displeased with her.
(b) Ethan has fallen in love with her.
(c) Zeena will know about their evening together.
(d) She will have to marry Denis Eady.
13. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie has no other place to go.
(b) Mattie is in love with Ethan.
(c) Mattie has her sights set on marriage.
(d) Mattie can live rent-free with Zeena and Ethan.
14. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
(a) Her health broke down.
(b) Her attitude prevented her from succeeding.
(c) She had great success.
(d) She became valuable to her family members.
15. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
2. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
3. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
4. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
5. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)