|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
(a) She has worn her best dress.
(b) She has tied a red ribbon in her hair.
(c) She has borrowed on of Zeena's dresses.
(d) She has worn a bonnet on her head.
2. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(b) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
(c) He does not know where Mattie is.
(d) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
3. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
(a) It is too dark outside.
(b) It is too cold outside.
(c) Ethan forgot their plans to go sledding.
(d) Mattie forgot their plans to go sledding.
4. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
(a) The dog.
(c) The wind.
(d) The cat.
5. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
(a) Cherry-colored scarf.
(b) Wave from across the room.
(c) Cherry-colored hair.
6. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
(a) Watches Ethan and hisses at him.
(b) Falls asleep on top of Mattie's sewing.
(c) Watches them through narrowed eyes.
(d) Claws at Mattie when she sits in Zeena's chair.
7. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of stagnancy.
(b) The promise of continuance and stability.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
8. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
(a) Not daring to touch Mattie's hand.
(b) Kissing Mattie in the living room.
(c) Returning to starkfield.
(d) Marrying Zeena.
9. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
(b) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(c) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
(d) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
10. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
(b) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
(c) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
(d) Giving Mattie orders.
11. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(b) She loves the town and its people.
(c) She loves the farm life.
(d) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
12. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
(b) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(c) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(d) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
13. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(b) Leave them soon to get married.
(c) Leave them soon to find another job.
(d) Get a cold from walking home so often.
14. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
(a) Hale claims money is too tight for him at the moment.
(b) Hale gets angry and asks Ethan to leave.
(c) Hale suggests that Ethan work for him.
(d) Hale guesses that Ethan has lied to Zeena about money.
15. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) He cannot run the farm without her help.
(b) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
(c) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(d) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
2. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
3. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
4. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
5. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)