|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
(a) The key to the barn.
(b) The sled.
(c) The keys to the car.
(d) The key to the house.
2. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) The dog knocks it off the table.
(b) The cat knocks it off the table.
(c) Ethan knocks it off the table.
(d) Mattie knocks it off the table.
3. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) One month.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Five years.
4. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
(a) Ruth Varnum and Ned Hale kissing.
(b) Ned Hale and Mattie Silver kissing.
(c) Zeena and Michael Eady kissing.
(d) Denis and Mattie Silver kissing.
5. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
(b) The many levels of consciousness.
(c) The several dimensions of life.
(d) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
6. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
(b) Giving Mattie orders.
(c) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
(d) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
7. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
(c) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(d) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
8. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
9. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Confusion of reality.
(b) Zeena's ghost.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) Societal oppression.
10. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Zeena's absence.
(b) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
(c) The new stove Ethan put in.
(d) Mattie's cleaning.
11. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
(a) Sews near the lamp.
(b) Polishes the pickle dish.
(c) Sews in the kitchen.
(d) Glues the dish back together.
12. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is a known gold digger.
(b) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(c) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(d) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
13. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
(a) Bring the lumber to Mr. Hale.
(b) Drive her to the train station.
(c) Accompany her to the doctor's office.
(d) Drive her to Michael Eady's store.
14. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) The television.
(b) Voices in her head.
(c) The radio.
(d) Voices from the cemetery.
15. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(b) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
(c) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(d) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
2. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
3. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
4. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
5. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)