|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
(b) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
(c) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(d) She is growing old.
2. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
(a) Mattie grew stronger and more competent.
(b) Mattie begged Zeena's forgiveness.
(c) Mattie grew silent and obedient.
(d) Mattie asked Zeena to train her properly.
3. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
(b) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
(c) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(d) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
4. Who visited Mattie while Ethan was away during the day?
(a) Daniel Byrne.
(b) Jotham Powell.
(c) Andrew Hale.
(d) Denis Eady.
5. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
(b) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(c) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(d) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
6. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
7. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
(a) To steady her as they walk.
(b) To console her.
(c) To show her his intentions.
(d) To demonstrate his ownership of her to Denis Eady.
8. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) He does not believe she is sick.
(b) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
(c) They cost so much.
(d) She never trusts what the doctors say.
9. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His father's bankruptcy.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(d) His mother's death.
10. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
(b) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
(c) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
(d) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
11. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(d) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
12. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is not satisfied with her work.
(b) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
(c) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(d) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
13. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
(a) She is industrious and he is lonely.
(b) She is beautiful and he is lonely.
(c) He is poor and she has a dowry.
(d) He is old and she is young.
14. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
(b) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(c) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(d) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
15. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
(a) His mother's presence in his home.
(b) Spending his evening with Mattie like a married couple.
(c) Zeena's illness and death.
(d) Spending his evening waiting for Zeena to arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
2. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
3. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
4. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
5. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)