|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has work to do in his study.
(b) He has to rebuild the fire.
(c) He has to tend to the horses.
(d) He has to go over the mill accounts.
2. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(b) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(c) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
(d) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
3. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
(b) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(c) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(d) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
4. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
5. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
(a) It is so dark that they might not find their way home.
(b) It is so cold that he would not be able to steer the sled.
(c) It is bad luck to sled when there is no moon outside.
(d) It is so dark that they might hit the elm tree.
6. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(b) Leave them soon to find another job.
(c) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(d) Leave them soon to get married.
7. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
(b) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(c) They cost so much.
(d) He does not believe she is sick.
8. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(b) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(c) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(d) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
9. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
(a) Denis and Mattie Silver kissing.
(b) Ruth Varnum and Ned Hale kissing.
(c) Ned Hale and Mattie Silver kissing.
(d) Zeena and Michael Eady kissing.
10. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
11. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
(a) She has worn her best dress.
(b) She has worn a bonnet on her head.
(c) She has tied a red ribbon in her hair.
(d) She has borrowed on of Zeena's dresses.
12. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
(a) Mattie's desire to leave.
(c) Their love for each other.
(d) Ethan's business.
13. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
(a) A spark of sociability.
(b) A spark of industry.
(c) A spark of life.
(d) A spark of curiosity.
14. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) A year.
15. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of water.
(b) The motif of color.
(c) The motif of light.
(d) The motif of darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
2. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
3. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
4. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
5. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)