|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
(a) Cherry-colored scarf.
(b) Wave from across the room.
(c) Cherry-colored hair.
2. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
(a) She has tied a red ribbon in her hair.
(b) She has borrowed on of Zeena's dresses.
(c) She has worn her best dress.
(d) She has worn a bonnet on her head.
3. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of stagnancy.
(b) The promise of continuance and stability.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
4. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
(a) Mattie grew stronger and more competent.
(b) Mattie asked Zeena to train her properly.
(c) Mattie begged Zeena's forgiveness.
(d) Mattie grew silent and obedient.
5. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
(b) Mattie's desire to leave.
(c) Ethan's business.
(d) Their love for each other.
6. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
(b) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
(c) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
(d) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
7. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
(a) He wants to pretend they are married.
(b) He cannot see her from where he sits.
(c) He wants to see how she would look there in place of his wife.
(d) He can not hear her from across the room.
8. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
9. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
(a) He can leave Mattie to take care of herself.
(b) He can share some of his passions with Mattie.
(c) He can marry Mattie when Zeena dies.
(d) He can tell Mattie of his troubles with Zeena.
10. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(b) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
(c) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
(d) Is not satisfied with her work.
11. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(b) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
(c) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(d) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
12. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
13. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(b) She is growing old.
(c) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
(d) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
14. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(b) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(c) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(d) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
15. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
2. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
3. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
4. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
5. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)