|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Ned and Ruth.
(b) Jothan and Mattie.
(c) Ethan and Zeena.
(d) Mattie and Denis.
2. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady coming to visit her at the house.
(b) Ruth and Ned kissing behind the trees.
(c) Her clumsiness with the pickle dish.
(d) How beautiful she looks under the lamp.
3. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
(a) Ethan forced her to work outside on the farm.
(b) She refused to take medications.
(c) She became obsessed with her own symptoms.
(d) Ethan would not permit her to leave the farm.
4. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) Voices in her head.
(b) The radio.
(c) Voices from the cemetery.
(d) The television.
5. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
(a) She will have to marry Denis Eady.
(b) Zeena is displeased with her.
(c) Zeena will know about their evening together.
(d) Ethan has fallen in love with her.
6. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(b) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
(c) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(d) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
7. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(b) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(c) Doing most of her chores for her.
(d) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
8. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(b) The many levels of consciousness.
(c) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
(d) The several dimensions of life.
9. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(b) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
(c) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(d) Eady is a known gold digger.
10. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
(b) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
(c) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
(d) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
11. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
(a) Kissing the fabric she is sewing.
(b) Holding her hands while they talk.
(c) Pressing his cheek against hers.
(d) Kissing the cat on the head.
12. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has to tend to the horses.
(b) He has work to do in his study.
(c) He has to rebuild the fire.
(d) He has to go over the mill accounts.
13. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(b) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(c) Leave them soon to get married.
(d) Leave them soon to find another job.
14. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(b) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
(c) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
(d) She is growing old.
15. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(b) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(c) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
(d) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
2. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
3. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
4. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
5. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)