|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of water.
(b) The motif of darkness.
(c) The motif of color.
(d) The motif of light.
2. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
(b) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(c) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
(d) He does not know where Mattie is.
3. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(b) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
(c) Is not satisfied with her work.
(d) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
4. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
(a) She became valuable to her family members.
(b) She had great success.
(c) Her health broke down.
(d) Her attitude prevented her from succeeding.
5. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
(a) Mattie grew stronger and more competent.
(b) Mattie grew silent and obedient.
(c) Mattie asked Zeena to train her properly.
(d) Mattie begged Zeena's forgiveness.
6. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
(a) Drive her to Michael Eady's store.
(b) Bring the lumber to Mr. Hale.
(c) Accompany her to the doctor's office.
(d) Drive her to the train station.
7. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
(a) Ethan would not permit her to leave the farm.
(b) She became obsessed with her own symptoms.
(c) Ethan forced her to work outside on the farm.
(d) She refused to take medications.
8. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(b) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
(c) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(d) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
9. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
(a) Travel to the Flats to pick up a hired girl.
(b) Threaten to leave Ethan.
(c) Bring Mattie to the train station.
(d) Travel to Bettsbridge to see a new doctor.
10. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
(b) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(c) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
(d) He cannot run the farm without her help.
11. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) Mattie knocks it off the table.
(b) The cat knocks it off the table.
(c) Ethan knocks it off the table.
(d) The dog knocks it off the table.
12. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
(a) Not leaving Zeena long ago.
(b) Kissing Mattie.
(c) Getting caught holding Mattie when Zeena opened the door.
(d) Not kissing Mattie.
13. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
14. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(d) His father's bankruptcy.
15. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(b) She was not looking for him.
(c) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(d) She did not expect him to show up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
2. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
3. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
4. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
5. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)