|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) The church social is taking place.
(b) The church services are taking place.
(c) A town meeting is taking place.
(d) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
2. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
(a) Lawyer Varnum.
(b) Jothan Powell.
(c) Andrew Hale.
(d) Denis Eady.
3. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(b) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
(c) Making dresses and singing.
(d) Book-keeping and clerical work.
4. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady coming to visit her at the house.
(b) How beautiful she looks under the lamp.
(c) Ruth and Ned kissing behind the trees.
(d) Her clumsiness with the pickle dish.
5. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
(a) He can share some of his passions with Mattie.
(b) He can leave Mattie to take care of herself.
(c) He can tell Mattie of his troubles with Zeena.
(d) He can marry Mattie when Zeena dies.
6. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
(a) Watches them through narrowed eyes.
(b) Claws at Mattie when she sits in Zeena's chair.
(c) Watches Ethan and hisses at him.
(d) Falls asleep on top of Mattie's sewing.
7. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
(a) Hale suggests that Ethan work for him.
(b) Hale gets angry and asks Ethan to leave.
(c) Hale claims money is too tight for him at the moment.
(d) Hale guesses that Ethan has lied to Zeena about money.
8. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She loves the town and its people.
(b) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
(c) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(d) She loves the farm life.
9. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie can live rent-free with Zeena and Ethan.
(b) Mattie has her sights set on marriage.
(c) Mattie is in love with Ethan.
(d) Mattie has no other place to go.
10. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Confusion of reality.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) Societal oppression.
(d) Zeena's ghost.
11. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(b) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
(c) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(d) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
12. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(b) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(c) Eady is a known gold digger.
(d) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
13. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
(b) He cannot run the farm without her help.
(c) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(d) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
14. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
(d) Haunted houses.
15. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
(a) He can not hear her from across the room.
(b) He cannot see her from where he sits.
(c) He wants to see how she would look there in place of his wife.
(d) He wants to pretend they are married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
2. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
3. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
4. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
5. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)