|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
(a) Sews in the kitchen.
(b) Polishes the pickle dish.
(c) Sews near the lamp.
(d) Glues the dish back together.
2. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady coming to visit her at the house.
(b) How beautiful she looks under the lamp.
(c) Her clumsiness with the pickle dish.
(d) Ruth and Ned kissing behind the trees.
3. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) Five years.
(b) One month.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year.
4. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) The many levels of consciousness.
(b) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(c) The several dimensions of life.
(d) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
5. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
(a) Friendly interactions with his classmates.
(b) The chance to discuss business among men.
(c) Dances where he might meet girls.
(d) The chance to study astronomy.
6. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
(a) The dog.
(c) The wind.
(d) The cat.
7. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
(a) The keys to the car.
(b) The key to the house.
(c) The sled.
(d) The key to the barn.
8. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) The church services are taking place.
(b) A town meeting is taking place.
(c) The church social is taking place.
(d) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
9. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(b) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(c) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(d) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
10. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
(a) Zeena's illness and death.
(b) Spending his evening waiting for Zeena to arrive.
(c) His mother's presence in his home.
(d) Spending his evening with Mattie like a married couple.
11. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
(a) Kissing Mattie.
(b) Getting caught holding Mattie when Zeena opened the door.
(c) Not kissing Mattie.
(d) Not leaving Zeena long ago.
12. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) The landscape of Starkfield.
(b) A darkened hearth.
(c) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(d) Zeena's heart.
13. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Logic and reality.
(b) Fantasy and impermanence.
(c) Ugliness and coarseness.
(d) Fear and doom.
14. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
(b) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(c) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(d) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
15. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(b) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(c) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(d) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
2. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
3. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
4. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
5. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)