|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of darkness.
(b) The motif of water.
(c) The motif of color.
(d) The motif of light.
2. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
(a) Cherry-colored scarf.
(b) Wave from across the room.
(c) Cherry-colored hair.
3. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) The cat knocks it off the table.
(b) The dog knocks it off the table.
(c) Ethan knocks it off the table.
(d) Mattie knocks it off the table.
4. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
(b) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
(c) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
(d) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
5. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
(b) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
(c) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(d) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
6. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
(a) She has worn a bonnet on her head.
(b) She has worn her best dress.
(c) She has tied a red ribbon in her hair.
(d) She has borrowed on of Zeena's dresses.
7. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) He does not believe she is sick.
(b) They cost so much.
(c) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(d) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
8. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(b) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(c) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
(d) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
9. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
(b) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
(c) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(d) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
10. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
(a) Working familiar outdoor tasks.
(b) Talking to Zeena.
(c) Driving the lumber to town.
(d) Feeding the horses.
11. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) A darkened hearth.
(b) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(c) Zeena's heart.
(d) The landscape of Starkfield.
12. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
(a) Ruth Varnum and Ned Hale kissing.
(b) Zeena and Michael Eady kissing.
(c) Ned Hale and Mattie Silver kissing.
(d) Denis and Mattie Silver kissing.
13. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
(a) Denis Eady.
(b) Jothan Powell.
(c) Andrew Hale.
(d) Lawyer Varnum.
14. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
(a) She is dressed in traveling clothes.
(b) She has ordered a taxi to take her to town.
(c) She is still in bed when he gets home.
(d) She is wearing her pajamas.
15. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
(a) He can not hear her from across the room.
(b) He cannot see her from where he sits.
(c) He wants to pretend they are married.
(d) He wants to see how she would look there in place of his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
2. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
3. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
4. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
5. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)