|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) Voices from the cemetery.
(b) The television.
(c) Voices in her head.
(d) The radio.
2. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
(a) She will have to marry Denis Eady.
(b) Zeena will know about their evening together.
(c) Zeena is displeased with her.
(d) Ethan has fallen in love with her.
3. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Logic and reality.
(b) Fantasy and impermanence.
(c) Ugliness and coarseness.
(d) Fear and doom.
4. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(b) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
(c) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(d) Doing most of her chores for her.
5. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(b) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
(c) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
(d) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
6. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
(a) Bring Mattie to the train station.
(b) Travel to the Flats to pick up a hired girl.
(c) Travel to Bettsbridge to see a new doctor.
(d) Threaten to leave Ethan.
7. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) A darkened hearth.
(b) The landscape of Starkfield.
(c) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(d) Zeena's heart.
8. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) The dog knocks it off the table.
(b) The cat knocks it off the table.
(c) Mattie knocks it off the table.
(d) Ethan knocks it off the table.
9. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
(a) Claws at Mattie when she sits in Zeena's chair.
(b) Watches Ethan and hisses at him.
(c) Falls asleep on top of Mattie's sewing.
(d) Watches them through narrowed eyes.
10. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) The many levels of consciousness.
(b) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
(c) The several dimensions of life.
(d) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
11. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(b) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(c) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
12. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
13. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
(a) These are his only opportunities to be alone at night.
(b) He needs the exercise.
(c) They allow him to socialize with the townspeople.
(d) These are the only opportunities he has to be alone with her.
14. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Leave them soon to find another job.
(b) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(c) Leave them soon to get married.
(d) Get a cold from walking home so often.
15. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of light.
(b) The motif of water.
(c) The motif of darkness.
(d) The motif of color.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
2. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
3. When Zeena opens the door, Ethan is surprised by _______________________.
4. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
5. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)