|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
(b) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
(c) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(d) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
2. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(b) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(c) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(d) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
3. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
(b) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
(c) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(d) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
4. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
(a) Spending his evening waiting for Zeena to arrive.
(b) Zeena's illness and death.
(c) His mother's presence in his home.
(d) Spending his evening with Mattie like a married couple.
5. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Zeena's absence.
(b) The new stove Ethan put in.
(c) Mattie's cleaning.
(d) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
6. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(b) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
(c) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(d) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
7. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It came from Paris.
(b) It was the last of its kind.
(c) It was a family heirloom.
(d) It came from Philadelphia.
8. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) The landscape of Starkfield.
(b) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(c) Zeena's heart.
(d) A darkened hearth.
9. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie has her sights set on marriage.
(b) Mattie has no other place to go.
(c) Mattie can live rent-free with Zeena and Ethan.
(d) Mattie is in love with Ethan.
10. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) The dog knocks it off the table.
(b) Mattie knocks it off the table.
(c) The cat knocks it off the table.
(d) Ethan knocks it off the table.
11. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
(a) A spark of life.
(b) A spark of sociability.
(c) A spark of industry.
(d) A spark of curiosity.
12. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(c) The threat of stagnancy.
(d) The promise of continuance and stability.
13. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
(a) Only thirty-five years old.
(b) Only twenty-eight years old.
(c) Only twenty-five years old.
(d) Only twenty-seven years old.
14. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
(a) Glues the dish back together.
(b) Sews in the kitchen.
(c) Sews near the lamp.
(d) Polishes the pickle dish.
15. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
(a) He can marry Mattie when Zeena dies.
(b) He can tell Mattie of his troubles with Zeena.
(c) He can leave Mattie to take care of herself.
(d) He can share some of his passions with Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
2. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
3. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
4. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
5. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)