|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(b) The several dimensions of life.
(c) The many levels of consciousness.
(d) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
2. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
(a) The cat.
(b) The wind.
(d) The dog.
3. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
(a) Working familiar outdoor tasks.
(b) Feeding the horses.
(c) Driving the lumber to town.
(d) Talking to Zeena.
4. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
(a) Bring the lumber to Mr. Hale.
(b) Drive her to Michael Eady's store.
(c) Drive her to the train station.
(d) Accompany her to the doctor's office.
5. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) He cannot run the farm without her help.
(b) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
(c) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(d) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
6. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) Zeena's ghost.
(c) Confusion of reality.
(d) Societal oppression.
7. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
(a) Not daring to touch Mattie's hand.
(b) Marrying Zeena.
(c) Returning to starkfield.
(d) Kissing Mattie in the living room.
8. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
(b) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
(c) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
(d) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
9. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
(a) She is wearing her pajamas.
(b) She is dressed in traveling clothes.
(c) She has ordered a taxi to take her to town.
(d) She is still in bed when he gets home.
10. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She did not expect him to show up.
(b) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(c) She was not looking for him.
(d) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
11. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie has found another post in town.
(b) Mattie will return to live with her own family.
(c) Mattie has grown tired of Ethan's advances.
(d) Mattie will get married to Denis Eady.
12. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
(d) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
13. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(b) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
(c) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(d) Doing most of her chores for her.
14. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
15. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Mattie's cleaning.
(b) The new stove Ethan put in.
(c) Zeena's absence.
(d) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
2. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
3. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
4. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
5. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)