Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
(b) Zeena's absence.
(c) The new stove Ethan put in.
(d) Mattie's cleaning.
2. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
(a) Returning to starkfield.
(b) Kissing Mattie in the living room.
(c) Not daring to touch Mattie's hand.
(d) Marrying Zeena.
3. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(b) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(c) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(d) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
4. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
(a) Her health broke down.
(b) She became valuable to her family members.
(c) She had great success.
(d) Her attitude prevented her from succeeding.
5. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
(b) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
(c) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(d) She is growing old.
6. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
(b) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
(c) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
(d) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
7. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
(d) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
8. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
(a) A spark of curiosity.
(b) A spark of sociability.
(c) A spark of life.
(d) A spark of industry.
9. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(b) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
(c) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(d) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
10. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(b) Leave them soon to get married.
(c) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(d) Leave them soon to find another job.
11. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
(a) Driving the lumber to town.
(b) Talking to Zeena.
(c) Working familiar outdoor tasks.
(d) Feeding the horses.
12. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
(a) Money to start a new life for herself.
(b) Plenty of help, but she rejected them.
(c) Plenty of advice but little help.
(d) Plenty of money and advice.
13. Most of the story takes place during which season?
14. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
(a) Brave enough to stand up to his wife.
(d) Pressure to succeed.
15. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
(b) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
(c) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(d) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
2. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
3. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
4. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
5. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)