|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Ned and Ruth.
(b) Mattie and Denis.
(c) Jothan and Mattie.
(d) Ethan and Zeena.
2. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of color.
(b) The motif of light.
(c) The motif of darkness.
(d) The motif of water.
3. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(b) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(c) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
(d) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
4. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(b) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
(c) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
(d) He does not know where Mattie is.
5. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
(a) To demonstrate his ownership of her to Denis Eady.
(b) To console her.
(c) To steady her as they walk.
(d) To show her his intentions.
6. When Zeena opens the door, Ethan is surprised by _______________________.
(a) Her excitement over their return.
(b) Her refusal to let them enter.
(c) Her gaunt appearance.
(d) Her cold nature.
7. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Leave them soon to find another job.
(b) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(c) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(d) Leave them soon to get married.
8. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
(a) Mattie forgot their plans to go sledding.
(b) Ethan forgot their plans to go sledding.
(c) It is too cold outside.
(d) It is too dark outside.
9. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(b) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
(c) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(d) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
10. Who visited Mattie while Ethan was away during the day?
(a) Jotham Powell.
(b) Daniel Byrne.
(c) Denis Eady.
(d) Andrew Hale.
11. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She is growing old.
(b) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(c) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
(d) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
12. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) Voices from the cemetery.
(b) Voices in her head.
(c) The television.
(d) The radio.
13. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
(a) She has ordered a taxi to take her to town.
(b) She is dressed in traveling clothes.
(c) She is wearing her pajamas.
(d) She is still in bed when he gets home.
14. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Zeena's ghost.
(b) Societal oppression.
(c) Confusion of reality.
(d) The threat of death.
15. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(b) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
(c) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
(d) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
2. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
3. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
4. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
5. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)