|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
(a) Jothan Powell.
(b) Lawyer Varnum.
(c) Denis Eady.
(d) Andrew Hale.
2. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
(b) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(c) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(d) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
3. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
(b) Pressure to succeed.
(d) Brave enough to stand up to his wife.
4. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She was not looking for him.
(b) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(c) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(d) She did not expect him to show up.
5. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) Ethan knocks it off the table.
(b) Mattie knocks it off the table.
(c) The cat knocks it off the table.
(d) The dog knocks it off the table.
6. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
(a) Working familiar outdoor tasks.
(b) Talking to Zeena.
(c) Feeding the horses.
(d) Driving the lumber to town.
7. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Leave them soon to find another job.
(b) Leave them soon to get married.
(c) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(d) Get a cold from walking home so often.
8. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(b) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
(c) He does not believe she is sick.
(d) They cost so much.
9. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
(a) Returning to starkfield.
(b) Not daring to touch Mattie's hand.
(c) Marrying Zeena.
(d) Kissing Mattie in the living room.
10. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
(b) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(c) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(d) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
11. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
(a) Spending his evening waiting for Zeena to arrive.
(b) Zeena's illness and death.
(c) His mother's presence in his home.
(d) Spending his evening with Mattie like a married couple.
12. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
(a) It is too dark outside.
(b) Ethan forgot their plans to go sledding.
(c) It is too cold outside.
(d) Mattie forgot their plans to go sledding.
13. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie has no other place to go.
(b) Mattie can live rent-free with Zeena and Ethan.
(c) Mattie is in love with Ethan.
(d) Mattie has her sights set on marriage.
14. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Mattie's cleaning.
(b) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
(c) The new stove Ethan put in.
(d) Zeena's absence.
15. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
(a) Glues the dish back together.
(b) Sews in the kitchen.
(c) Polishes the pickle dish.
(d) Sews near the lamp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
2. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
3. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
4. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
5. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)