|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
(b) Eady is a known gold digger.
(c) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(d) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
2. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
(a) It is so dark that they might not find their way home.
(b) It is so dark that they might hit the elm tree.
(c) It is bad luck to sled when there is no moon outside.
(d) It is so cold that he would not be able to steer the sled.
3. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
4. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of light.
(b) The motif of color.
(c) The motif of water.
(d) The motif of darkness.
5. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Zeena's absence.
(b) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
(c) Mattie's cleaning.
(d) The new stove Ethan put in.
6. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(b) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(c) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
(d) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
7. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
(a) Pressure to succeed.
(d) Brave enough to stand up to his wife.
8. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has to tend to the horses.
(b) He has to go over the mill accounts.
(c) He has to rebuild the fire.
(d) He has work to do in his study.
9. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) Zeena's heart.
(b) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(c) A darkened hearth.
(d) The landscape of Starkfield.
10. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
(a) She has tied a red ribbon in her hair.
(b) She has borrowed on of Zeena's dresses.
(c) She has worn a bonnet on her head.
(d) She has worn her best dress.
11. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It came from Philadelphia.
(b) It was a family heirloom.
(c) It came from Paris.
(d) It was the last of its kind.
12. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
(a) Not daring to touch Mattie's hand.
(b) Marrying Zeena.
(c) Kissing Mattie in the living room.
(d) Returning to starkfield.
13. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(b) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(c) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
(d) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
14. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
(a) Ethan forced her to work outside on the farm.
(b) She became obsessed with her own symptoms.
(c) Ethan would not permit her to leave the farm.
(d) She refused to take medications.
15. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
(b) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
(c) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(d) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
2. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
3. Most of the story takes place during which season?
4. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
5. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)