|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(b) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(c) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
(d) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
2. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(c) His father's bankruptcy.
(d) His mother's death.
3. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
(a) She is wearing her pajamas.
(b) She is dressed in traveling clothes.
(c) She is still in bed when he gets home.
(d) She has ordered a taxi to take her to town.
4. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
(b) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
(c) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
(d) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
5. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(b) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
(c) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
6. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
(b) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(c) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(d) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
7. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(b) She loves the farm life.
(c) She loves the town and its people.
(d) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
8. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie is in love with Ethan.
(b) Mattie has her sights set on marriage.
(c) Mattie has no other place to go.
(d) Mattie can live rent-free with Zeena and Ethan.
9. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
(a) If she wants to continue working for him.
(b) If she would like to leave Starkfield with him.
(c) If she would like to go coasting some night.
(d) If she loves him.
10. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Making dresses and singing.
(b) Book-keeping and clerical work.
(c) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(d) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
11. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
(a) A spark of curiosity.
(b) A spark of sociability.
(c) A spark of industry.
(d) A spark of life.
12. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
13. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(b) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(c) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
(d) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
14. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
15. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Confusion of reality.
(b) Societal oppression.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) Zeena's ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
2. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
3. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
4. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
5. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)