|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(b) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(c) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
(d) Eady is a known gold digger.
2. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of color.
(b) The motif of water.
(c) The motif of light.
(d) The motif of darkness.
3. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) Zeena's ghost.
(c) Societal oppression.
(d) Confusion of reality.
4. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
(b) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
(c) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
(d) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
5. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is not satisfied with her work.
(b) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(c) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
(d) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
6. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(b) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
(c) She is growing old.
(d) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
7. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
(a) Mattie grew silent and obedient.
(b) Mattie grew stronger and more competent.
(c) Mattie begged Zeena's forgiveness.
(d) Mattie asked Zeena to train her properly.
8. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has to go over the mill accounts.
(b) He has work to do in his study.
(c) He has to tend to the horses.
(d) He has to rebuild the fire.
9. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
(b) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
(c) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
(d) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
10. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
(a) If she wants to continue working for him.
(b) If she would like to go coasting some night.
(c) If she loves him.
(d) If she would like to leave Starkfield with him.
11. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
(a) Zeena is displeased with her.
(b) She will have to marry Denis Eady.
(c) Zeena will know about their evening together.
(d) Ethan has fallen in love with her.
12. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Ned and Ruth.
(b) Jothan and Mattie.
(c) Ethan and Zeena.
(d) Mattie and Denis.
13. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
(b) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(c) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
(d) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
14. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
(a) Zeena wants him to encourage Mattie to leave.
(b) He is burning with jealousy.
(c) He wants her to swear she will never marry.
(d) He is trying to get used to the idea.
15. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of stagnancy.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) The promise of continuance and stability.
(d) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
2. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
3. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
4. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
5. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)