|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(b) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(c) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(d) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
2. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
(b) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
(c) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(d) Is not satisfied with her work.
3. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
(b) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
(c) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(d) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
4. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(b) She did not expect him to show up.
(c) She was not looking for him.
(d) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
5. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It came from Philadelphia.
(b) It came from Paris.
(c) It was the last of its kind.
(d) It was a family heirloom.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ruth Hale, who suffers most at the Fromes' house?
2. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
3. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
4. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
5. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)