|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Ned and Ruth.
(b) Ethan and Zeena.
(c) Mattie and Denis.
(d) Jothan and Mattie.
2. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) The promise of continuance and stability.
(c) The threat of stagnancy.
(d) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
3. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
(b) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(c) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(d) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
4. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Fantasy and impermanence.
(b) Logic and reality.
(c) Fear and doom.
(d) Ugliness and coarseness.
5. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
(b) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(c) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(d) Eady is a known gold digger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
2. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
3. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
4. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
5. How does Zeena find the broken pickle dish?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)