|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(b) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
(c) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(d) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
2. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
(a) Missing household items.
(b) Some of Mattie's recipes.
(c) More broken dishes.
(d) Ethan's behavior.
3. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
(a) Drive her to the train station.
(b) Bring the lumber to Mr. Hale.
(c) Accompany her to the doctor's office.
(d) Drive her to Michael Eady's store.
4. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
(a) Mattie has already left for the train station.
(b) Zeena sick in bed while Mattie nurses her.
(c) Zeena reading a book while Mattie struggles with her heavy trunk.
(d) Mattie has gone into town to seek a job.
5. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
(b) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
(c) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(d) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
2. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
3. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
4. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
5. According to Ruth Hale, who suffers most at the Fromes' house?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)