|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
(a) Zeena refused to light it until Ethan got home.
(b) Ethan cannot afford firewood.
(c) Mattie does not like the room to be kept warm.
(d) Zeena fell asleep all afternoon and did not tend the fire.
2. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Fantasy and impermanence.
(b) Fear and doom.
(c) Ugliness and coarseness.
(d) Logic and reality.
3. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
(a) He is poor and she has a dowry.
(b) He is old and she is young.
(c) She is beautiful and he is lonely.
(d) She is industrious and he is lonely.
4. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
(a) They allow him to socialize with the townspeople.
(b) These are the only opportunities he has to be alone with her.
(c) He needs the exercise.
(d) These are his only opportunities to be alone at night.
5. How has Zeena changed since the accident?
(a) Zeena has grown affectionate and loving with Ethan.
(b) Zeena has gained strength and now cares for Ethan and Mattie.
(c) Zeena feels responsible for the accident, and this exaggerates her illness.
(d) Zeena has grown quiet like Ethan's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
2. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
3. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
4. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
5. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)