|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
(a) Denis refuses to sell it to him.
(b) Denis cannot find it.
(c) Eady's wife would report it to Zeena.
(d) Eady's store is not open.
2. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
(b) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(c) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(d) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
3. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(b) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
(c) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(d) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
4. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
(a) Goes right to her room without saying anything.
(b) Leaves again to visit the town doctor.
(c) Demands that Mattie make dinner immediately.
(d) Tells Mattie she has hired a new girl.
5. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(b) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(c) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(d) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
2. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
3. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
4. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
5. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)