|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
(a) He wants an objective observer to hear Zeena's health complaints.
(b) He wants a neutral presence there since Zeena has returned.
(c) He knows Zeena will not ask about money with Jotham there.
(d) He needs to talk to Jotham about his work.
2. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
(b) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(c) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(d) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
3. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
(a) Zeena is displeased with her.
(b) She will have to marry Denis Eady.
(c) Ethan has fallen in love with her.
(d) Zeena will know about their evening together.
4. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
(a) He cannot see her from where he sits.
(b) He wants to see how she would look there in place of his wife.
(c) He wants to pretend they are married.
(d) He can not hear her from across the room.
5. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(b) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
(c) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
(d) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
2. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
3. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
4. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
5. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)