|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan finds Mattie crying because __________________________________.
(a) She was worried about taking the train.
(b) She thought she would never see Ethan again.
(c) She was disappointed in herself.
(d) She felt guilty over stealing Zeena's belongings.
2. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
(a) It is so dark that they might not find their way home.
(b) It is bad luck to sled when there is no moon outside.
(c) It is so cold that he would not be able to steer the sled.
(d) It is so dark that they might hit the elm tree.
3. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The wagon is too short to carry them.
(b) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(c) The logs are frozen together.
(d) The tree trunks are slippery.
4. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(b) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
(c) Making dresses and singing.
(d) Book-keeping and clerical work.
5. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(b) Is somehow refusing their plans.
(c) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
(d) Mocks him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
2. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
3. When Ethan sees Zeena he is moved by what emotion?
4. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
5. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)