|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they are alone outside together, Ethan tells Mattie __________________________________.
(a) That he will send her trunk along after she is settled somewhere.
(b) That Zeena knows all about their love for each other.
(c) That he will drive her to the train himself.
(d) That he will never see her again after tonight.
2. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Is somehow refusing their plans.
(b) Mocks him.
(c) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
(d) Knows their plans and waits for them.
3. What happens to Ethan's horse?
(a) The horse broke its back under the heavy lumber load.
(b) The horse was ill because it was not properly cared for.
(c) The horse slipped and cut its knee.
(d) The horse slipped and broke its leg.
4. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
(a) Ethan cannot afford firewood.
(b) Mattie does not like the room to be kept warm.
(c) Zeena refused to light it until Ethan got home.
(d) Zeena fell asleep all afternoon and did not tend the fire.
5. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(b) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
(c) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
(d) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
2. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
3. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
4. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
5. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)