|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
(a) Their refusal to offer the narrator food or shelter.
(b) The broken dishes and poor furnishings.
(c) The lack of food and fire.
(d) The skinny women and the lack of shelter.
2. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
(a) That she move to a warmer climate.
(b) That she have an operation.
(c) That she have a psychological examination.
(d) That she has any sort of illness.
3. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has to rebuild the fire.
(b) He has work to do in his study.
(c) He has to tend to the horses.
(d) He has to go over the mill accounts.
4. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(b) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(c) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(d) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
5. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
(b) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
(c) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
(d) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
2. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
3. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
4. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
5. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)