|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterward.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
(b) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
(c) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
(d) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
2. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
(b) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
(c) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
(d) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
3. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
(a) These are his only opportunities to be alone at night.
(b) These are the only opportunities he has to be alone with her.
(c) They allow him to socialize with the townspeople.
(d) He needs the exercise.
4. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie has grown tired of Ethan's advances.
(b) Mattie has found another post in town.
(c) Mattie will return to live with her own family.
(d) Mattie will get married to Denis Eady.
5. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
(a) It is so dark that they might not find their way home.
(b) It is so dark that they might hit the elm tree.
(c) It is bad luck to sled when there is no moon outside.
(d) It is so cold that he would not be able to steer the sled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
2. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
3. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
4. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
5. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)