|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Societal oppression.
(b) Zeena's ghost.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) Confusion of reality.
2. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(b) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(c) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(d) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
3. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
(a) Mattie's financial obligations.
(b) Mattie's trunk.
(c) Mattie's room and board.
(d) Mattie's future employment.
4. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
(b) They have never been particularly kind to him.
(c) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
(d) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
5. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
(a) Mattie begged Zeena's forgiveness.
(b) Mattie grew silent and obedient.
(c) Mattie grew stronger and more competent.
(d) Mattie asked Zeena to train her properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
2. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
3. When Ethan sees Zeena he is moved by what emotion?
4. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
5. When Zeena opens the door, Ethan is surprised by _______________________.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)