|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(b) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(c) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
(d) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
2. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
(b) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
(c) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(d) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
3. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The tree trunks are slippery.
(b) The logs are frozen together.
(c) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(d) The wagon is too short to carry them.
4. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
(a) Holding her hands while they talk.
(b) Pressing his cheek against hers.
(c) Kissing the cat on the head.
(d) Kissing the fabric she is sewing.
5. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) The threat of stagnancy.
(c) The promise of continuance and stability.
(d) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
2. Ethan finds Zeena _______________________________.
3. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
4. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
5. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)