|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
(b) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
(c) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
(d) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
2. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
(b) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
(c) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
(d) Giving Mattie orders.
3. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
(a) Carry Mattie's trunk to the sleigh.
(b) Take Mattie to the train when he goes to pick up the hired girl.
(c) Take Mattie into town and leave her there.
(d) Search Mattie's belongings for Zeena's missing items.
4. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(b) He cannot run the farm without her help.
(c) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
(d) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
5. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
(a) Holding her hands while they talk.
(b) Pressing his cheek against hers.
(c) Kissing the cat on the head.
(d) Kissing the fabric she is sewing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
2. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
3. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
4. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
5. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)