|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Leave them soon to get married.
(b) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(c) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(d) Leave them soon to find another job.
2. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
(a) Search Mattie's belongings for Zeena's missing items.
(b) Carry Mattie's trunk to the sleigh.
(c) Take Mattie into town and leave her there.
(d) Take Mattie to the train when he goes to pick up the hired girl.
3. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
(a) It faces the sunlight in the west.
(b) Zeena uses it as a sewing room in the winter.
(c) He had to move the stove to Mattie's room, so the study has no heat.
(d) Zeena uses it for storage.
4. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(b) The promise of continuance and stability.
(c) The threat of stagnancy.
(d) The threat of death.
5. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
(b) The church social is taking place.
(c) The church services are taking place.
(d) A town meeting is taking place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
2. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
3. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
4. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
5. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)