|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
(a) Ethan's lie that he had loved Zeena when they were first married.
(b) Ethan's lie that he needed to collect money from Andrew Hale.
(c) Mattie's lie about planning to be married.
(d) Zeena's lie about needing to see another doctor.
2. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(d) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
3. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) The decaying state of his home.
(b) Zeena's renewed energy.
(c) The beauty of the day outside.
(d) Denis Eady and his young friends.
4. Most of the story takes place during which season?
5. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
(a) Mattie's desire to leave.
(c) Ethan's business.
(d) Their love for each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
2. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
3. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
4. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
5. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)