|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
2. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(b) She loves the town and its people.
(c) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
(d) She loves the farm life.
3. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
(a) Irrationally happy.
(b) Irrationally fearful.
(c) Hesitantly happy.
(d) Cautiously optimistic.
4. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
(a) All the cheerful couples walking about town.
(b) The spot where he kissed her by the spruce trees.
(c) The sled route they were to visit together.
(d) All the sights and sounds of nature.
5. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has to rebuild the fire.
(b) He has work to do in his study.
(c) He has to tend to the horses.
(d) He has to go over the mill accounts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
2. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
3. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
4. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
5. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)