|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
(a) How beautiful she looks under the lamp.
(b) Denis Eady coming to visit her at the house.
(c) Ruth and Ned kissing behind the trees.
(d) Her clumsiness with the pickle dish.
2. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(b) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
(c) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(d) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
3. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
(b) She loves the town and its people.
(c) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(d) She loves the farm life.
4. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
(b) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(c) Is not satisfied with her work.
(d) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
5. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
(d) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
2. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
3. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
4. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
5. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)