|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
(b) He buys it at another store.
(c) He throws the dish away.
(d) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
2. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(b) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(c) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
3. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
(a) Kiss Mattie.
(b) Tell Mattie she is no longer welcome.
(c) Demand money from Andrew Hale.
(d) Stand up to Zeena.
4. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
(a) She became valuable to her family members.
(b) Her health broke down.
(c) She had great success.
(d) Her attitude prevented her from succeeding.
5. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Fantasy and impermanence.
(b) Logic and reality.
(c) Fear and doom.
(d) Ugliness and coarseness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
2. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
3. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
4. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
5. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)