|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
(b) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
(c) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(d) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
2. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
(a) Cherry-colored hair.
(b) Cherry-colored scarf.
(c) Wave from across the room.
3. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
(a) Polishes the pickle dish.
(b) Sews near the lamp.
(c) Sews in the kitchen.
(d) Glues the dish back together.
4. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
(b) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
(c) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
(d) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
5. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Run into the elm tree.
(b) Arrive home before Zeena.
(c) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
(d) Avoid delivering the lumber.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
2. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
3. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
4. What happens to Ethan's horse?
5. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)