|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(b) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(c) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
(d) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
2. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The tree trunks are slippery.
(b) The wagon is too short to carry them.
(c) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(d) The logs are frozen together.
3. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
(a) She will have to marry Denis Eady.
(b) Zeena is displeased with her.
(c) Ethan has fallen in love with her.
(d) Zeena will know about their evening together.
4. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
(b) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(c) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
(d) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
5. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
(a) Kissing the fabric she is sewing.
(b) Pressing his cheek against hers.
(c) Kissing the cat on the head.
(d) Holding her hands while they talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
2. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
3. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
4. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
5. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)