|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His father's bankruptcy.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(d) His mother's death.
2. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
(a) His dishonesty and treachery.
(b) His love and support.
(c) All his failures and humiliations.
(d) All his triumphs and successes.
3. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
(a) Demands that Mattie make dinner immediately.
(b) Tells Mattie she has hired a new girl.
(c) Goes right to her room without saying anything.
(d) Leaves again to visit the town doctor.
4. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
(b) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
(c) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
5. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
(b) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
(c) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(d) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
2. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
3. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
4. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
5. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)