|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
(a) He is burning with jealousy.
(b) Zeena wants him to encourage Mattie to leave.
(c) He wants her to swear she will never marry.
(d) He is trying to get used to the idea.
2. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(b) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
(c) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(d) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
3. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(b) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(c) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(d) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
4. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
(a) Falls asleep on top of Mattie's sewing.
(b) Claws at Mattie when she sits in Zeena's chair.
(c) Watches Ethan and hisses at him.
(d) Watches them through narrowed eyes.
5. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
(a) It is too cold outside.
(b) Ethan forgot their plans to go sledding.
(c) Mattie forgot their plans to go sledding.
(d) It is too dark outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
2. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
3. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
4. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
5. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)