|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
(a) Working familiar outdoor tasks.
(b) Talking to Zeena.
(c) Feeding the horses.
(d) Driving the lumber to town.
2. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
(a) It is bad luck to sled when there is no moon outside.
(b) It is so dark that they might hit the elm tree.
(c) It is so cold that he would not be able to steer the sled.
(d) It is so dark that they might not find their way home.
3. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Confusion of reality.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) Zeena's ghost.
(d) Societal oppression.
4. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
(a) Hale gets angry and asks Ethan to leave.
(b) Hale suggests that Ethan work for him.
(c) Hale guesses that Ethan has lied to Zeena about money.
(d) Hale claims money is too tight for him at the moment.
5. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Fear and doom.
(b) Ugliness and coarseness.
(c) Logic and reality.
(d) Fantasy and impermanence.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
2. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
3. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
4. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
5. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)