|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(d) His father's bankruptcy.
2. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(b) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(c) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(d) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
3. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
(a) Only twenty-five years old.
(b) Only twenty-eight years old.
(c) Only twenty-seven years old.
(d) Only thirty-five years old.
4. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) The new stove Ethan put in.
(b) Zeena's absence.
(c) Mattie's cleaning.
(d) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
5. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(b) They cost so much.
(c) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
(d) He does not believe she is sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening at the church at midnight?
2. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
3. Most of the story takes place during which season?
4. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
5. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)