|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
(a) Pressure to succeed.
(c) Brave enough to stand up to his wife.
2. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(b) Leave them soon to get married.
(c) Leave them soon to find another job.
(d) Get a cold from walking home so often.
3. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
(b) She loves the town and its people.
(c) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(d) She loves the farm life.
4. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
(b) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
(c) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
(d) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
5. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(b) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(c) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(d) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
2. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
3. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
4. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
5. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)