|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
(b) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(c) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(d) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
2. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
(a) Ethan forgot their plans to go sledding.
(b) It is too dark outside.
(c) Mattie forgot their plans to go sledding.
(d) It is too cold outside.
3. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
(b) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(c) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(d) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
4. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(b) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(c) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(d) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
5. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of color.
(b) The motif of light.
(c) The motif of water.
(d) The motif of darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
2. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
3. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
4. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
5. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)