|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
(b) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
(c) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(d) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
2. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
(a) She became obsessed with her own symptoms.
(b) Ethan would not permit her to leave the farm.
(c) She refused to take medications.
(d) Ethan forced her to work outside on the farm.
3. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
(a) They allow him to socialize with the townspeople.
(b) These are his only opportunities to be alone at night.
(c) These are the only opportunities he has to be alone with her.
(d) He needs the exercise.
4. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(b) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(c) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(d) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
5. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(b) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(c) Eady is a known gold digger.
(d) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
2. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
3. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
4. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
5. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)