|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(b) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(c) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
2. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
(b) She loves the farm life.
(c) She loves the town and its people.
(d) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
3. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
(a) Zeena's illness and death.
(b) His mother's presence in his home.
(c) Spending his evening with Mattie like a married couple.
(d) Spending his evening waiting for Zeena to arrive.
4. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She did not expect him to show up.
(b) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(c) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(d) She was not looking for him.
5. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
(a) She has ordered a taxi to take her to town.
(b) She is dressed in traveling clothes.
(c) She is wearing her pajamas.
(d) She is still in bed when he gets home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
2. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
3. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
4. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
5. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)