|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has to go over the mill accounts.
(b) He has to rebuild the fire.
(c) He has work to do in his study.
(d) He has to tend to the horses.
2. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
3. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
(b) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(c) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
(d) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
4. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(b) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(c) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(d) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
5. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(b) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(c) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
(d) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
2. When Zeena opens the door, Ethan is surprised by _______________________.
3. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
4. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
5. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)