|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
(a) She refused to take medications.
(b) Ethan forced her to work outside on the farm.
(c) Ethan would not permit her to leave the farm.
(d) She became obsessed with her own symptoms.
2. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
(b) He does not know where Mattie is.
(c) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(d) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
3. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(b) The several dimensions of life.
(c) The many levels of consciousness.
(d) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
4. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(b) A darkened hearth.
(c) Zeena's heart.
(d) The landscape of Starkfield.
5. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
(a) Zeena and Michael Eady kissing.
(b) Denis and Mattie Silver kissing.
(c) Ruth Varnum and Ned Hale kissing.
(d) Ned Hale and Mattie Silver kissing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
2. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
3. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
4. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
5. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)