|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
(a) She had great success.
(b) Her attitude prevented her from succeeding.
(c) Her health broke down.
(d) She became valuable to her family members.
2. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(b) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
(c) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
(d) Is not satisfied with her work.
3. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
(b) The several dimensions of life.
(c) The many levels of consciousness.
(d) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
4. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(b) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
(c) Doing most of her chores for her.
(d) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
5. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
(a) Only twenty-eight years old.
(b) Only twenty-seven years old.
(c) Only thirty-five years old.
(d) Only twenty-five years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
2. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
3. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
4. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
5. How is the pickle dish broken?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)