|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
(b) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(c) They cost so much.
(d) He does not believe she is sick.
2. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Mattie's cleaning.
(b) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
(c) The new stove Ethan put in.
(d) Zeena's absence.
3. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(d) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
4. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
(c) Brave enough to stand up to his wife.
(d) Pressure to succeed.
5. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It came from Paris.
(b) It was a family heirloom.
(c) It came from Philadelphia.
(d) It was the last of its kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
2. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
3. Most of the story takes place during which season?
4. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
5. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)