|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
(b) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
(c) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
(d) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
2. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(d) His father's bankruptcy.
3. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
(b) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(c) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(d) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
4. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(b) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
(c) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(d) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
5. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
(b) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(c) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(d) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
2. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
3. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
4. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
5. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)