|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie has grown tired of Ethan's advances.
(b) Mattie has found another post in town.
(c) Mattie will return to live with her own family.
(d) Mattie will get married to Denis Eady.
2. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(b) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
(c) He cannot run the farm without her help.
(d) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
3. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(c) The threat of stagnancy.
(d) The promise of continuance and stability.
4. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) Voices in her head.
(b) The radio.
(c) The television.
(d) Voices from the cemetery.
5. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She loves the farm life.
(b) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(c) She loves the town and its people.
(d) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening at the church at midnight?
2. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
3. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
4. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
5. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)