|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
(b) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
(c) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
(d) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
2. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
(a) Mattie begged Zeena's forgiveness.
(b) Mattie asked Zeena to train her properly.
(c) Mattie grew stronger and more competent.
(d) Mattie grew silent and obedient.
3. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(b) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
(c) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
(d) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
4. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
(b) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(c) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(d) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
5. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(b) Book-keeping and clerical work.
(c) Making dresses and singing.
(d) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
2. Most of the story takes place during which season?
3. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
4. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
5. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)