|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
(a) Denis Eady.
(b) Andrew Hale.
(c) Jothan Powell.
(d) Lawyer Varnum.
2. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
(a) He can leave Mattie to take care of herself.
(b) He can tell Mattie of his troubles with Zeena.
(c) He can marry Mattie when Zeena dies.
(d) He can share some of his passions with Mattie.
3. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
(b) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
(c) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
(d) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
4. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) The threat of stagnancy.
(c) The promise of continuance and stability.
(d) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
5. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Doing most of her chores for her.
(b) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(c) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(d) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
2. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
3. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
4. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
5. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)