|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
(a) Her attitude prevented her from succeeding.
(b) Her health broke down.
(c) She became valuable to her family members.
(d) She had great success.
2. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
(b) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(c) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(d) Doing most of her chores for her.
3. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
(a) Bring the lumber to Mr. Hale.
(b) Accompany her to the doctor's office.
(c) Drive her to Michael Eady's store.
(d) Drive her to the train station.
4. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
(a) He can share some of his passions with Mattie.
(b) He can tell Mattie of his troubles with Zeena.
(c) He can leave Mattie to take care of herself.
(d) He can marry Mattie when Zeena dies.
5. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(b) She did not expect him to show up.
(c) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(d) She was not looking for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
2. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
3. What is happening at the church at midnight?
4. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
5. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)