|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(b) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(c) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
2. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(b) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(c) Leave them soon to get married.
(d) Leave them soon to find another job.
3. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
(a) Plenty of help, but she rejected them.
(b) Money to start a new life for herself.
(c) Plenty of advice but little help.
(d) Plenty of money and advice.
4. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) A darkened hearth.
(b) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(c) Zeena's heart.
(d) The landscape of Starkfield.
5. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Doing most of her chores for her.
(b) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(c) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(d) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
2. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
3. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
4. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
5. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)