|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
(a) Getting caught holding Mattie when Zeena opened the door.
(b) Kissing Mattie.
(c) Not leaving Zeena long ago.
(d) Not kissing Mattie.
2. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
(b) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
(c) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
(d) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
3. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
(a) These are the only opportunities he has to be alone with her.
(b) They allow him to socialize with the townspeople.
(c) These are his only opportunities to be alone at night.
(d) He needs the exercise.
4. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
(b) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(c) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(d) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
5. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(b) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(c) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(d) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
2. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
3. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
4. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
5. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)