|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
(b) Eady is a known gold digger.
(c) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(d) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
2. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
(b) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(c) The many levels of consciousness.
(d) The several dimensions of life.
3. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(b) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(c) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
4. Most of the story takes place during which season?
5. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
(c) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(d) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
2. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
3. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
4. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
5. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)