|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) A town meeting is taking place.
(b) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
(c) The church services are taking place.
(d) The church social is taking place.
2. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(d) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
3. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
(b) Brave enough to stand up to his wife.
(c) Pressure to succeed.
4. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(b) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(c) Leave them soon to get married.
(d) Leave them soon to find another job.
5. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
(a) Sneaking downstairs to clean up during the night.
(b) Claiming that she should not be asked to work.
(c) Quietly asking her to do her chores over again.
(d) Doing most of her chores for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
2. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
3. Most of the story takes place during which season?
4. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
5. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)