|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has to go over the mill accounts.
(b) He has to rebuild the fire.
(c) He has work to do in his study.
(d) He has to tend to the horses.
2. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
(b) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
(c) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
3. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(b) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(c) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
4. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
(b) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(c) The several dimensions of life.
(d) The many levels of consciousness.
5. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) Six months.
(b) One month.
(c) Five years.
(d) A year.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zeena opens the door, Ethan is surprised by _______________________.
2. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
3. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
4. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
5. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)