|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) The several dimensions of life.
(b) The many levels of consciousness.
(c) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(d) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
2. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The promise of continuance and stability.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) The threat of stagnancy.
(d) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
3. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(b) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(c) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(d) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
4. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) His father's bankruptcy.
(d) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
5. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
(a) If she wants to continue working for him.
(b) If she loves him.
(c) If she would like to leave Starkfield with him.
(d) If she would like to go coasting some night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
2. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
3. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
4. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
5. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)