|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
(b) Goes to the train station.
(c) Goes home.
(d) Hides out in the barn.
2. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It was the last of its kind.
(b) It came from Paris.
(c) It was a family heirloom.
(d) It came from Philadelphia.
3. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Zeena's absence.
(b) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
(c) Mattie's cleaning.
(d) The new stove Ethan put in.
4. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
(b) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
(c) He can send Jotham can go home early.
(d) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
5. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
(a) Talking to Zeena.
(b) Driving the lumber to town.
(c) Feeding the horses.
(d) Working familiar outdoor tasks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
2. How does Zeena find the broken pickle dish?
3. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
4. Ethan tries to disguise Mattie's unskilled efforts at housekeeping by ______________________________.
5. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)