|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Ugliness and coarseness.
(b) Logic and reality.
(c) Fear and doom.
(d) Fantasy and impermanence.
2. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
(a) Zeena demands that Mattie serve her dinner in her bed.
(b) Jotham Powell refuses to stay for dinner.
(c) Zeena refuses to allow Jotham Powell at dinner.
(d) Mattie refuses to cook dinner.
3. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
4. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
(a) Denis cannot find it.
(b) Eady's wife would report it to Zeena.
(c) Denis refuses to sell it to him.
(d) Eady's store is not open.
5. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(b) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
(c) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
(d) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
2. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
3. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
4. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
5. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)