|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
(a) Denis cannot find it.
(b) Eady's store is not open.
(c) Denis refuses to sell it to him.
(d) Eady's wife would report it to Zeena.
2. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(b) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(c) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
(d) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
3. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(b) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(c) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(d) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
4. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
(a) Haunted houses.
5. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
(a) Zeena's illness and death.
(b) Spending his evening waiting for Zeena to arrive.
(c) His mother's presence in his home.
(d) Spending his evening with Mattie like a married couple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening at the church at midnight?
2. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
3. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
4. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
5. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)