|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(b) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
(c) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(d) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
2. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
(b) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
(c) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
(d) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
3. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
(a) His unwillingness to help her around the house.
(b) His urgency to be alone with her again.
(c) His desire to keep Zeena from arriving at home.
(d) His need to get the lumber delivered.
4. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
(b) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
(c) She loves the farm life.
(d) She loves the town and its people.
5. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
(a) He moved away from the hills and never spoke to them again.
(b) He moved west during the Gold Rush.
(c) He moved to Connecticut and became financially successful.
(d) He moved to Connecticut and got an education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
2. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
3. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
4. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
5. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)