|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
(a) The cat.
(b) Mattie's father.
(c) A tea towel.
(d) Her red pickle dish.
2. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
(b) Making dresses and singing.
(c) Book-keeping and clerical work.
(d) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
3. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of darkness.
(b) The motif of color.
(c) The motif of water.
(d) The motif of light.
4. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
(b) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
(c) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
(d) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
5. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(b) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(c) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
(d) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
2. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
3. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
4. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
5. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)