|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
(b) He buys it at another store.
(c) He throws the dish away.
(d) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
2. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
(b) Stay in bed.
(c) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
(d) Remove all stress from her daily life.
3. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
(a) The motif of water.
(b) The motif of color.
(c) The motif of light.
(d) The motif of darkness.
4. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
(a) Polishes the pickle dish.
(b) Sews near the lamp.
(c) Sews in the kitchen.
(d) Glues the dish back together.
5. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
(a) Zeena will know about their evening together.
(b) Zeena is displeased with her.
(c) She will have to marry Denis Eady.
(d) Ethan has fallen in love with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
2. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
3. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
4. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
5. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)