|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Goes home.
(b) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
(c) Hides out in the barn.
(d) Goes to the train station.
2. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
(b) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
(c) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
(d) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
3. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
(b) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(c) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
(d) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
4. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
(a) Her remaining in bed for several days.
(b) Her coming down to supper anyway.
(c) An increase in her symptoms.
(d) Her refusal to speak to him.
5. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
(a) He wants to see how she would look there in place of his wife.
(b) He wants to pretend they are married.
(c) He can not hear her from across the room.
(d) He cannot see her from where he sits.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
2. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
3. Mattie knows Ethan slept in the unheated study because ________________________________.
4. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
5. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)