|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
(a) Hale gets angry and asks Ethan to leave.
(b) Hale claims money is too tight for him at the moment.
(c) Hale suggests that Ethan work for him.
(d) Hale guesses that Ethan has lied to Zeena about money.
2. As they head into town, Ethan points out ____________________________________________.
(a) Several places where he and Mattie had been together.
(b) Several places Mattie might go after leaving Starkfield.
(c) The positive aspects of Mattie's situation.
(d) A place where they might hide out from Zeena.
3. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(b) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(c) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
(d) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
4. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
(b) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
(c) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(d) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
5. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
(a) Search Mattie's belongings for Zeena's missing items.
(b) Carry Mattie's trunk to the sleigh.
(c) Take Mattie into town and leave her there.
(d) Take Mattie to the train when he goes to pick up the hired girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
2. What motif continues to suggest a promise of happiness or well-being for Ethan at the start of Chapter 4?
3. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
4. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
5. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)