|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) The landscape of Starkfield.
(b) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(c) A darkened hearth.
(d) Zeena's heart.
2. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
(a) To console her.
(b) To steady her as they walk.
(c) To show her his intentions.
(d) To demonstrate his ownership of her to Denis Eady.
3. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
(b) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(c) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
(d) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
4. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
(a) Plenty of help, but she rejected them.
(b) Plenty of advice but little help.
(c) Plenty of money and advice.
(d) Money to start a new life for herself.
5. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
(b) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(c) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(d) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening at the church at midnight?
2. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
3. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
4. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
5. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)