|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The promise of continuance and stability.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(d) The threat of stagnancy.
2. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
(b) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
(c) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(d) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
3. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His father's bankruptcy.
(d) His mother's death.
4. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
(b) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(c) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(d) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
5. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
(a) She is still in bed when he gets home.
(b) She is wearing her pajamas.
(c) She has ordered a taxi to take her to town.
(d) She is dressed in traveling clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
2. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
3. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
4. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
5. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)