|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(b) She did not expect him to show up.
(c) She was not looking for him.
(d) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
2. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
(b) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(c) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
(d) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
3. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
(a) Driving the lumber to town.
(b) Talking to Zeena.
(c) Feeding the horses.
(d) Working familiar outdoor tasks.
4. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The promise of continuance and stability.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(d) The threat of stagnancy.
5. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
(a) Kissing Mattie.
(b) Not leaving Zeena long ago.
(c) Getting caught holding Mattie when Zeena opened the door.
(d) Not kissing Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of the story takes place during which season?
2. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
3. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
4. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
5. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)