|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
(a) She is a nuisance in the Frome's home.
(b) She has threatened to leave the Fromes many times, and they wish to keep her happy.
(c) She has frequently complained of missing her old life of leisure and revelry.
(d) She is an unpaid aid in the Frome's home, and might be unhappy otherwise.
2. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
(a) These are his only opportunities to be alone at night.
(b) He needs the exercise.
(c) These are the only opportunities he has to be alone with her.
(d) They allow him to socialize with the townspeople.
3. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
(b) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(c) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(d) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
4. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
(a) The key to the barn.
(b) The key to the house.
(c) The keys to the car.
(d) The sled.
5. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
(b) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
(c) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
2. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
3. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
4. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
5. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)