|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
(a) He needs an excuse to avoid driving Zeena to the Flats.
(b) He needs an excuse to get Jotham Powell out of the house.
(c) He needs an excuse to visit Mr. Hale.
(d) He needs an excuse to buy Mattie a gift.
2. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) His father's bankruptcy.
(d) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
3. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
(b) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
(c) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
(d) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
4. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
(b) A town meeting is taking place.
(c) The church social is taking place.
(d) The church services are taking place.
5. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
(a) She claims she was worried about them in the storm.
(b) She claims she was too cold to sleep.
(c) She claims she was jealous of Mattie and Ethan.
(d) She claims she felt so mean she could not sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
2. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
3. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
4. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
5. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)