|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
(b) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(c) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(d) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
2. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The promise of continuance and stability.
(b) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(c) The threat of stagnancy.
(d) The threat of death.
3. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
(a) Get a cold from walking home so often.
(b) Leave them soon to get married.
(c) Get a bad reputation for dancing with so many men.
(d) Leave them soon to find another job.
4. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(b) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
(c) The many levels of consciousness.
(d) The several dimensions of life.
5. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
(b) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(c) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(d) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
2. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
3. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
4. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
5. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)