|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) Ethan's bankruptcy.
(b) The death of Ethan's horses.
(c) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
(d) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
2. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(b) The logs are frozen together.
(c) The tree trunks are slippery.
(d) The wagon is too short to carry them.
3. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Jothan and Mattie.
(b) Ethan and Zeena.
(c) Ned and Ruth.
(d) Mattie and Denis.
4. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The promise of continuance and stability.
(b) The threat of stagnancy.
(c) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(d) The threat of death.
5. What happens to Ethan's horse?
(a) The horse slipped and broke its leg.
(b) The horse broke its back under the heavy lumber load.
(c) The horse was ill because it was not properly cared for.
(d) The horse slipped and cut its knee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
2. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
3. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
4. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
5. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)