|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) The death of Ethan's horses.
(b) Ethan's bankruptcy.
(c) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
(d) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
2. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
3. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
(a) Claws at Mattie when she sits in Zeena's chair.
(b) Watches Ethan and hisses at him.
(c) Watches them through narrowed eyes.
(d) Falls asleep on top of Mattie's sewing.
4. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
(b) Is not satisfied with her work.
(c) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
(d) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
5. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(b) Run into the elm tree.
(c) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
(d) Arrive home before Zeena.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
2. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
3. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
4. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
5. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)