|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
(a) Jotham Powell refuses to stay for dinner.
(b) Zeena demands that Mattie serve her dinner in her bed.
(c) Zeena refuses to allow Jotham Powell at dinner.
(d) Mattie refuses to cook dinner.
2. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
(a) Andrew Hale.
(b) Denis Eady.
(c) Lawyer Varnum.
(d) Jothan Powell.
3. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
(a) Watches Ethan and hisses at him.
(b) Claws at Mattie when she sits in Zeena's chair.
(c) Falls asleep on top of Mattie's sewing.
(d) Watches them through narrowed eyes.
4. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Ugliness and coarseness.
(b) Fear and doom.
(c) Fantasy and impermanence.
(d) Logic and reality.
5. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
(a) Andrew Hale.
(c) Ruth Farnum.
(d) Jotham Powell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the pickle dish broken?
2. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
3. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
4. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
5. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)