|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
(b) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(c) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(d) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
2. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
(a) The sled route they were to visit together.
(b) The spot where he kissed her by the spruce trees.
(c) All the cheerful couples walking about town.
(d) All the sights and sounds of nature.
3. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
(a) Missing household items.
(b) More broken dishes.
(c) Some of Mattie's recipes.
(d) Ethan's behavior.
4. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
(a) Helping others.
(b) Punishing the weak.
(c) Inflicting pain on him.
(d) Nursing her illness.
5. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) Societal oppression.
(c) Zeena's ghost.
(d) Confusion of reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
2. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
3. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
4. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
5. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)