|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(b) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(c) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(d) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
2. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
(a) Only twenty-eight years old.
(b) Only twenty-seven years old.
(c) Only twenty-five years old.
(d) Only thirty-five years old.
3. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
(a) Travel to Bettsbridge to see a new doctor.
(b) Bring Mattie to the train station.
(c) Travel to the Flats to pick up a hired girl.
(d) Threaten to leave Ethan.
4. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(b) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(c) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(d) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
5. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady coming to visit her at the house.
(b) Her clumsiness with the pickle dish.
(c) How beautiful she looks under the lamp.
(d) Ruth and Ned kissing behind the trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
2. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
3. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
4. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
5. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)