|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena has packed her bag in order to _________________________________.
(a) Travel to Bettsbridge to see a new doctor.
(b) Threaten to leave Ethan.
(c) Bring Mattie to the train station.
(d) Travel to the Flats to pick up a hired girl.
2. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(b) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(c) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(d) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
3. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
(a) He has no money, and no way of borrowing any in town.
(b) Underneath it all, he still loves Zeena.
(c) Mattie would not want to leave town in disgrace.
(d) Zeena's family would prevent him from leaving.
4. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Societal oppression.
(b) Zeena's ghost.
(c) Confusion of reality.
(d) The threat of death.
5. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
(a) Zeena will know about their evening together.
(b) Zeena is displeased with her.
(c) Ethan has fallen in love with her.
(d) She will have to marry Denis Eady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
2. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
3. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
4. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
5. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)