|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Mattie and Denis.
(b) Ned and Ruth.
(c) Jothan and Mattie.
(d) Ethan and Zeena.
2. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(b) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(c) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(d) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
3. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
(a) Ugliness and coarseness.
(b) Fear and doom.
(c) Logic and reality.
(d) Fantasy and impermanence.
4. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(b) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
(c) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
(d) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
5. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(b) Zeena's renewed energy.
(c) The decaying state of his home.
(d) The beauty of the day outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
2. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
3. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
4. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
5. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)