|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) The beauty of the day outside.
(b) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(c) The decaying state of his home.
(d) Zeena's renewed energy.
2. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Confusion of reality.
(b) Societal oppression.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) Zeena's ghost.
3. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
(a) Inflicting pain on him.
(b) Helping others.
(c) Punishing the weak.
(d) Nursing her illness.
4. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
(b) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
(c) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(d) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
5. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(b) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
(c) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
(d) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
2. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
3. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
4. Mattie knows Ethan slept in the unheated study because ________________________________.
5. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)