1. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
(b) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(c) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
2. Most of the story takes place during which season?
3. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) His father's bankruptcy.
4. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
(a) The several dimensions of life.
(b) Cloudy meanings behind the daily face of things.
(c) Absolute truth and literal meanings.
(d) The many levels of consciousness.
5. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
(b) The church services are taking place.
(c) A town meeting is taking place.
(d) The church social is taking place.
This section contains 6,034 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)