* Ethan Frome walks to town to escort his wife's cousin, Mattie Silver, home from a dance.
* Mattie has come to live with Ethan and his wife, Zeena, because Zeena claims to be ill and needs household help.
* While Ethan walks to town, he recalls his brief studies in Engineering before he was drawn home by the illness of his parents.
* Mattie's presence is a welcome change from the routine of Ethan's life.
* However, the trip this night to the church brings him a dose of reality.
* He sees Mattie smiling and laughing with another man in ways he thought she reserved for him.
* Earlier, Zeena had mentioned her expectation that Mattie would marry soon, leaving her without household help.
* Ethan doesn't realize that his wife Zeena has been picking up on the changes in him and noticing the excuses he makes to spend time with Mattie.
This section contains 1,599 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)