|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
2. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
3. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
4. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
5. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the time span of the story from harvest to harvest. How does the author's use of nature's cycle help her narrative?
Essay Topic 2
The Ortegas and Alfonso's family are never far from nature. Even when they are rich, Ryan resorts to nature imagery. Later, when they live as peasants, they are close to nature. Discuss the role of nature and the nature imagery in Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 3
There are many strong female characters in Esperanza Rising. Explore and discuss the view of women that arises from Ryan's characterizations of these women.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)