|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
2. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
3. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
4. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
5. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
2. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
3. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
4. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
5. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
6. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
7. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
8. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
9. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
10. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina author or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. Esperanza Rising received this award. Explain why this work deserves this award. In other words, evaluate the work in terms of the criteria for the award.
Essay Topic 2
Through the trials and experiences of the Ortega family, the reader is given a portrayal of the life of Mexican workers in the United States. What is the impression that Ryan gives of this life and what are the central events or images that contribute to this portrayal?
Essay Topic 3
Harvest is a time of celebration and reward. The farmer is rewarded for his hard work by the fruits of his labor. How might Papa's death so soon after harvest be a symbolic of something?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)