|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Esperanza find hiding after the officials leave?
2. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
3. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
4. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
5. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2 of Esperanza Rising, Esperanza is at a low point and her grandmother reminds her of a story she has told Esperanza many times, the myth of the phoenix rising out of its own ashes. What is inspirational about this myth and why is it appropriate that Abuelita, rather than any other character, be the one to refer to this myth at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Through the trials and experiences of the Ortega family, the reader is given a portrayal of the life of Mexican workers in the United States. What is the impression that Ryan gives of this life and what are the central events or images that contribute to this portrayal?
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter of Esperanza Rising, Papa instills a love of the land in Esperanza. There are several ways in which the characters can be categorized. One way is that are those who "love the land" and those who do not. Examine the love and respect for the land through the characters that are aligned with Papa with respect to the land, and how this love "gives back" to them.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)