|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
2. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
3. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
4. In Chapter 8 at harvest time, how many days a week are the workers working?
5. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
2. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
3. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
4. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
5. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
6. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
7. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
8. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
9. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
10. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the female characters are crocheting lace, teaching crocheting, giving crocheted gifts. Sometimes it is the actual crocheted article that is important; at other times, the activity itself is emphasized. What might crocheting symbolize, or come to symbolize, to the women of El Rancho de las Rosas?
Essay Topic 2
Much of what the reader learns about life in the migrant work camps entails children's lives. Comment on the quality of life available to children in these circumstances and how responsible Ryan's portrayal of children in the camps is.
Essay Topic 3
The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina author or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. Esperanza Rising received this award. Explain why this work deserves this award. In other words, evaluate the work in terms of the criteria for the award.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)