|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
2. When the families are out in the field, who comes to visit Esperanza?
3. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
4. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
5. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
2. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
3. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
4. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
5. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
6. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
7. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
8. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
9. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
10. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harvest is a time of celebration and reward. The farmer is rewarded for his hard work by the fruits of his labor. How might Papa's death so soon after harvest be a symbolic of something?
Essay Topic 2
The title of this novel is Esperanza Rising. There is a scenario in Chapter 5 wherein Esperanza feels she is floating above the earth. However, there are several meanings of the word "rising." Reflect on this scene and the meanings of this book. Finally, with attention to more than one meaning of the word, explain why Esperanza Rising is an appropriate title for this novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are many strong female characters in Esperanza Rising. Explore and discuss the view of women that arises from Ryan's characterizations of these women.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)