|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
2. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
3. On the morning after the strike, what does Esperanza see hanging from a tree?
4. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
5. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
2. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
3. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
4. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
5. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
6. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
7. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
8. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
9. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
10. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this novel is Esperanza Rising. There is a scenario in Chapter 5 wherein Esperanza feels she is floating above the earth. However, there are several meanings of the word "rising." Reflect on this scene and the meanings of this book. Finally, with attention to more than one meaning of the word, explain why Esperanza Rising is an appropriate title for this novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2 of Esperanza Rising, Esperanza is at a low point and her grandmother reminds her of a story she has told Esperanza many times, the myth of the phoenix rising out of its own ashes. What is inspirational about this myth and why is it appropriate that Abuelita, rather than any other character, be the one to refer to this myth at this time?
Essay Topic 3
All of the chapter titles of this novel are names of fruit. After reading the novel, explain why Pam Munoz Ryan, the author might have chosen to title the chapters in this way.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)