|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
2. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
3. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
4. In Chapter 8 at harvest time, how many days a week are the workers working?
5. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
2. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
3. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
4. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
5. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
6. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
7. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
8. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
9. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
10. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina author or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. Esperanza Rising received this award. Explain why this work deserves this award. In other words, evaluate the work in terms of the criteria for the award.
Essay Topic 2
Ramona, Esperanza's mother, undergoes a dramatic change in status. Discuss and evaluate Ramona as a role model for Esperanza.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the female characters are crocheting lace, teaching crocheting, giving crocheted gifts. Sometimes it is the actual crocheted article that is important; at other times, the activity itself is emphasized. What might crocheting symbolize, or come to symbolize, to the women of El Rancho de las Rosas?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)