|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
2. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
3. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
4. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
5. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
2. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
3. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
4. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
5. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
6. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
7. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
8. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
9. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
10. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Esperanza Rising there are numerous references to religion, praying, and engaging "spirits" of dead people in conversations or decisions. Discuss the role spirituality plays in the lives of the characters of Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the female characters are crocheting lace, teaching crocheting, giving crocheted gifts. Sometimes it is the actual crocheted article that is important; at other times, the activity itself is emphasized. What might crocheting symbolize, or come to symbolize, to the women of El Rancho de las Rosas?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of perseverance in Esperanza Rising.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)