|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
2. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
3. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
4. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
5. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
2. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
3. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
4. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
5. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
6. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
7. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
8. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
9. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
10. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harvest is a time of celebration and reward. The farmer is rewarded for his hard work by the fruits of his labor. How might Papa's death so soon after harvest be a symbolic of something?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the time span of the story from harvest to harvest. How does the author's use of nature's cycle help her narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Much of what the reader learns about life in the migrant work camps entails children's lives. Comment on the quality of life available to children in these circumstances and how responsible Ryan's portrayal of children in the camps is.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)