|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
2. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
3. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
4. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
5. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
2. When Esperanza details the things she misses about her mother, why is she so surprised at herself?
3. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
4. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
5. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
6. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
7. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
8. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
9. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
10. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina author or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. Esperanza Rising received this award. Explain why this work deserves this award. In other words, evaluate the work in terms of the criteria for the award.
Essay Topic 2
Through the trials and experiences of the Ortega family, the reader is given a portrayal of the life of Mexican workers in the United States. What is the impression that Ryan gives of this life and what are the central events or images that contribute to this portrayal?
Essay Topic 3
How might the concept of family be part of a theme of Esperanza Rising?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)