|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
2. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
3. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
4. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
5. How do Irene and Melina help the Ortega household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ortegas and Alfonso's family are never far from nature. Even when they are rich, Ryan resorts to nature imagery. Later, when they live as peasants, they are close to nature. Discuss the role of nature and the nature imagery in Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the time span of the story from harvest to harvest. How does the author's use of nature's cycle help her narrative?
Essay Topic 3
In Esperanza Rising there are numerous references to religion, praying, and engaging "spirits" of dead people in conversations or decisions. Discuss the role spirituality plays in the lives of the characters of Esperanza Rising.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)