Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
2. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
3. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
4. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
5. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2 of Esperanza Rising, Esperanza is at a low point and her grandmother reminds her of a story she has told Esperanza many times, the myth of the phoenix rising out of its own ashes. What is inspirational about this myth and why is it appropriate that Abuelita, rather than any other character, be the one to refer to this myth at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the female characters are crocheting lace, teaching crocheting, giving crocheted gifts. Sometimes it is the actual crocheted article that is important; at other times, the activity itself is emphasized. What might crocheting symbolize, or come to symbolize, to the women of El Rancho de las Rosas?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the time span of the story from harvest to harvest. How does the author's use of nature's cycle help her narrative?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)