|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
2. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
3. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
4. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
5. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
2. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
3. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
4. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
5. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
6. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
7. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
8. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
9. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
10. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the course of the novel, Esperanza sheds her coddled sense of entitlement and emerges as a responsible young woman. Who or what are the primary motivators responsible for this social and emotional growth?
Essay Topic 2
All of the chapter titles of this novel are names of fruit. After reading the novel, explain why Pam Munoz Ryan, the author might have chosen to title the chapters in this way.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the female characters are crocheting lace, teaching crocheting, giving crocheted gifts. Sometimes it is the actual crocheted article that is important; at other times, the activity itself is emphasized. What might crocheting symbolize, or come to symbolize, to the women of El Rancho de las Rosas?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)