|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
2. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
3. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
4. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
5. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
2. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
3. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
4. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
5. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
6. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
7. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
8. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
9. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
10. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might the concept of family be part of a theme of Esperanza Rising?
Essay Topic 2
Harvest is a time of celebration and reward. The farmer is rewarded for his hard work by the fruits of his labor. How might Papa's death so soon after harvest be a symbolic of something?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2 of Esperanza Rising, Esperanza is at a low point and her grandmother reminds her of a story she has told Esperanza many times, the myth of the phoenix rising out of its own ashes. What is inspirational about this myth and why is it appropriate that Abuelita, rather than any other character, be the one to refer to this myth at this time?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)