|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
2. Who is Sixto?
3. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
4. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
5. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
Short Essay Questions
1. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
2. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
3. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
4. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
5. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
6. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
7. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
8. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
9. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
10. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of perseverance in Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 2
During the course of the novel, Esperanza sheds her coddled sense of entitlement and emerges as a responsible young woman. Who or what are the primary motivators responsible for this social and emotional growth?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in Esperanza Rising go from riches to rags. Explore the theme of becoming richer in some sense while actually becoming poorer in the economic sense. How is this notion developed as a theme?
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)