|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
2. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
3. After the fire, what is the reason for an Ortega relative's visit?
4. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
5. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
2. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
3. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
4. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
5. How does Miguel help Esperanza in her adjustment to work when she is left to do household chores?
6. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
7. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
8. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
9. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
10. Esperanza meets Marta, a girl they pick up in the truck, who is friendly with Isabel. How is Marta's reaction to Esperanza different from the treatment she had from Isabel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the chapter titles of this novel are names of fruit. After reading the novel, explain why Pam Munoz Ryan, the author might have chosen to title the chapters in this way.
Essay Topic 2
The title of this novel is Esperanza Rising. There is a scenario in Chapter 5 wherein Esperanza feels she is floating above the earth. However, there are several meanings of the word "rising." Reflect on this scene and the meanings of this book. Finally, with attention to more than one meaning of the word, explain why Esperanza Rising is an appropriate title for this novel.
Essay Topic 3
During the course of the novel, Esperanza sheds her coddled sense of entitlement and emerges as a responsible young woman. Who or what are the primary motivators responsible for this social and emotional growth?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)