|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
2. In Chapter 1, which birthday is Esperanza eagerly anticipating?
3. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
4. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
5. After the fire, what is the reason for an Ortega relative's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
2. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
3. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
4. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
5. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
6. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
7. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
8. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
9. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
10. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Esperanza Rising a work of socially responsible historical fiction?
Essay Topic 2
In Esperanza Rising there are numerous references to religion, praying, and engaging "spirits" of dead people in conversations or decisions. Discuss the role spirituality plays in the lives of the characters of Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 3
The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina author or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. Esperanza Rising received this award. Explain why this work deserves this award. In other words, evaluate the work in terms of the criteria for the award.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)