|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
2. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
3. What is Marta's attitude toward Esperanza?
4. What was the treat Esperanza remembers from an earlier time in Zacatecas?
5. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
2. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
3. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
4. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
5. What do the "line up" of dolls in Esperanza's room represent?
6. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
7. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
8. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
9. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
10. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ramona, Esperanza's mother, undergoes a dramatic change in status. Discuss and evaluate Ramona as a role model for Esperanza.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in Esperanza Rising go from riches to rags. Explore the theme of becoming richer in some sense while actually becoming poorer in the economic sense. How is this notion developed as a theme?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is Esperanza Rising a work of socially responsible historical fiction?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)