|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
2. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
3. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
4. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
5. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
2. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
3. How does Papa impart his love of the land to Esperanza?
4. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
5. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
6. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
7. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
8. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
9. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
10. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the course of the novel, Esperanza sheds her coddled sense of entitlement and emerges as a responsible young woman. Who or what are the primary motivators responsible for this social and emotional growth?
Essay Topic 2
In Esperanza Rising there are numerous references to religion, praying, and engaging "spirits" of dead people in conversations or decisions. Discuss the role spirituality plays in the lives of the characters of Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the time span of the story from harvest to harvest. How does the author's use of nature's cycle help her narrative?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)