|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
2. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
3. When Esperanza talks with Isabel, who does Esperanza say will come soon to rescue them and move them out of the camp?
4. When Esperanza's first birthday morning visitor comes, what does he bring for her?
5. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
2. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
3. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
4. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
5. In what way is the ruined rose garden a symbol?
6. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
7. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
8. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
9. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
10. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Esperanza Rising there are numerous references to religion, praying, and engaging "spirits" of dead people in conversations or decisions. Discuss the role spirituality plays in the lives of the characters of Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 2
Harvest is a time of celebration and reward. The farmer is rewarded for his hard work by the fruits of his labor. How might Papa's death so soon after harvest be a symbolic of something?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the time span of the story from harvest to harvest. How does the author's use of nature's cycle help her narrative?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)