|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
2. What does Mama do for the child who interrupted Esperanza's playing on the train?
3. Who is Sixto?
4. What is Esperanza's last name?
5. Esperanza finally opens her birthday gifts. From whom is the porcelain doll?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
2. How does Miguel help Esperanza in her adjustment to work when she is left to do household chores?
3. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
4. In what way is the ruined rose garden a symbol?
5. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
6. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
7. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
8. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
9. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
10. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many strong female characters in Esperanza Rising. Explore and discuss the view of women that arises from Ryan's characterizations of these women.
Essay Topic 2
The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina author or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. Esperanza Rising received this award. Explain why this work deserves this award. In other words, evaluate the work in terms of the criteria for the award.
Essay Topic 3
The Ortegas and Alfonso's family are never far from nature. Even when they are rich, Ryan resorts to nature imagery. Later, when they live as peasants, they are close to nature. Discuss the role of nature and the nature imagery in Esperanza Rising.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)