|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the town from which Mama says they are from?
2. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
3. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
4. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
5. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
2. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
3. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
4. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
5. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
6. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
7. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
8. What do the "line up" of dolls in Esperanza's room represent?
9. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
10. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the chapter titles of this novel are names of fruit. After reading the novel, explain why Pam Munoz Ryan, the author might have chosen to title the chapters in this way.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the time span of the story from harvest to harvest. How does the author's use of nature's cycle help her narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Ramona, Esperanza's mother, undergoes a dramatic change in status. Discuss and evaluate Ramona as a role model for Esperanza.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)