|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
2. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
3. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
4. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
5. When the Ortega's get to their family friend's house in Chapter 4, for whom does Esperanza look?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
2. How does Papa impart his love of the land to Esperanza?
3. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
4. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
5. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
6. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
7. Esperanza meets Marta, a girl they pick up in the truck, who is friendly with Isabel. How is Marta's reaction to Esperanza different from the treatment she had from Isabel?
8. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
9. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
10. In what way does the author's description of what survived the fire reveal the degree of ruin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the chapter titles of this novel are names of fruit. After reading the novel, explain why Pam Munoz Ryan, the author might have chosen to title the chapters in this way.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in Esperanza Rising go from riches to rags. Explore the theme of becoming richer in some sense while actually becoming poorer in the economic sense. How is this notion developed as a theme?
Essay Topic 3
The title of this novel is Esperanza Rising. There is a scenario in Chapter 5 wherein Esperanza feels she is floating above the earth. However, there are several meanings of the word "rising." Reflect on this scene and the meanings of this book. Finally, with attention to more than one meaning of the word, explain why Esperanza Rising is an appropriate title for this novel.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)