|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Esperanza's birthday, who is spending so much time in her father's study?
2. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
3. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
4. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
5. What is Esperanza feeling about speaking English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
2. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
3. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
4. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
5. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
6. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
7. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
8. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
9. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
10. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harvest is a time of celebration and reward. The farmer is rewarded for his hard work by the fruits of his labor. How might Papa's death so soon after harvest be a symbolic of something?
Essay Topic 2
The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina author or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. Esperanza Rising received this award. Explain why this work deserves this award. In other words, evaluate the work in terms of the criteria for the award.
Essay Topic 3
Much of what the reader learns about life in the migrant work camps entails children's lives. Comment on the quality of life available to children in these circumstances and how responsible Ryan's portrayal of children in the camps is.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)