|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ramona discusses family choices with Hortensia and her family, where does Hortensia and her family make it known they are going?
2. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
3. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
4. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
5. When Esperanza is in the garden, on what does she cut her finger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
2. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
3. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
4. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
5. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
6. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
7. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
8. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
9. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
10. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of perseverance in Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 2
Ramona, Esperanza's mother, undergoes a dramatic change in status. Discuss and evaluate Ramona as a role model for Esperanza.
Essay Topic 3
In what way is Esperanza Rising a work of socially responsible historical fiction?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)