|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
2. What is Juan's daughter's name?
3. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
4. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
5. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
2. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
3. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
4. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
5. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
6. How does Miguel help Esperanza in her adjustment to work when she is left to do household chores?
7. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
8. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
9. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
10. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the time span of the story from harvest to harvest. How does the author's use of nature's cycle help her narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Ramona, Esperanza's mother, undergoes a dramatic change in status. Discuss and evaluate Ramona as a role model for Esperanza.
Essay Topic 3
The title of this novel is Esperanza Rising. There is a scenario in Chapter 5 wherein Esperanza feels she is floating above the earth. However, there are several meanings of the word "rising." Reflect on this scene and the meanings of this book. Finally, with attention to more than one meaning of the word, explain why Esperanza Rising is an appropriate title for this novel.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)