|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
2. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
3. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
4. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
5. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
2. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
3. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
4. Esperanza meets Marta, a girl they pick up in the truck, who is friendly with Isabel. How is Marta's reaction to Esperanza different from the treatment she had from Isabel?
5. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
6. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
7. How does Papa impart his love of the land to Esperanza?
8. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
9. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
10. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the work ethic as evidenced in Esperanza Rising. What might the author be saying about the value of work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of perseverance in Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter of Esperanza Rising, Papa instills a love of the land in Esperanza. There are several ways in which the characters can be categorized. One way is that are those who "love the land" and those who do not. Examine the love and respect for the land through the characters that are aligned with Papa with respect to the land, and how this love "gives back" to them.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)