Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
2. Who is Sixto?
3. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
4. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
5. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
Short Essay Questions
1. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
2. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
3. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
4. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
5. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
6. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
7. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
8. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
9. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
10. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the female characters are crocheting lace, teaching crocheting, giving crocheted gifts. Sometimes it is the actual crocheted article that is important; at other times, the activity itself is emphasized. What might crocheting symbolize, or come to symbolize, to the women of El Rancho de las Rosas?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of perseverance in Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 3
The title of this novel is Esperanza Rising. There is a scenario in Chapter 5 wherein Esperanza feels she is floating above the earth. However, there are several meanings of the word "rising." Reflect on this scene and the meanings of this book. Finally, with attention to more than one meaning of the word, explain why Esperanza Rising is an appropriate title for this novel.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)