|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
2. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
3. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
4. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
5. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
2. How does Papa impart his love of the land to Esperanza?
3. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
4. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
5. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
6. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
7. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
8. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
9. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
10. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of what the reader learns about life in the migrant work camps entails children's lives. Comment on the quality of life available to children in these circumstances and how responsible Ryan's portrayal of children in the camps is.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of perseverance in Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 3
The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, is presented to a Latino/Latina author or illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. Esperanza Rising received this award. Explain why this work deserves this award. In other words, evaluate the work in terms of the criteria for the award.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)