|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marta's attitude toward Esperanza?
2. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
3. What is Esperanza's reaction to the interruption of another child on the train?
4. What does Mama do for the child who interrupted Esperanza's playing on the train?
5. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
2. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
3. In what way is the ruined rose garden a symbol?
4. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
5. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
6. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
7. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
8. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
9. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
10. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ortegas and Alfonso's family are never far from nature. Even when they are rich, Ryan resorts to nature imagery. Later, when they live as peasants, they are close to nature. Discuss the role of nature and the nature imagery in Esperanza Rising.
Essay Topic 2
In the first chapter of Esperanza Rising, Papa instills a love of the land in Esperanza. There are several ways in which the characters can be categorized. One way is that are those who "love the land" and those who do not. Examine the love and respect for the land through the characters that are aligned with Papa with respect to the land, and how this love "gives back" to them.
Essay Topic 3
The title of this novel is Esperanza Rising. There is a scenario in Chapter 5 wherein Esperanza feels she is floating above the earth. However, there are several meanings of the word "rising." Reflect on this scene and the meanings of this book. Finally, with attention to more than one meaning of the word, explain why Esperanza Rising is an appropriate title for this novel.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)