|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the treat Esperanza remembers from an earlier time in Zacatecas?
2. What is in the trunk that the visitors have left in Chapter 3?
3. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
4. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
5. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
2. How does Miguel help Esperanza in her adjustment to work when she is left to do household chores?
3. In what way is the ruined rose garden a symbol?
4. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
5. How does Papa impart his love of the land to Esperanza?
6. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
7. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
8. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
9. In what way does the author's description of what survived the fire reveal the degree of ruin?
10. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ramona, Esperanza's mother, undergoes a dramatic change in status. Discuss and evaluate Ramona as a role model for Esperanza.
Essay Topic 2
During the course of the novel, Esperanza sheds her coddled sense of entitlement and emerges as a responsible young woman. Who or what are the primary motivators responsible for this social and emotional growth?
Essay Topic 3
There are many strong female characters in Esperanza Rising. Explore and discuss the view of women that arises from Ryan's characterizations of these women.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)