|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
2. Who is Mr. Yakota?
(a) The strike organizer.
(b) The market owner.
(c) The doctor's nephew.
(d) The foreman.
3. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(a) Shelling almonds.
4. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The babies' diapers.
(b) The tortilla press.
(c) The corn shucker.
(d) The bean pot.
5. What object does Esperanza remove from her valise to give to Isabel?
(a) Her lacey socks.
(b) Her lace collar.
(c) Her porcelain doll.
(d) Her yarn doll from the train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
2. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
3. When Esperanza asks Isabel for news that she has heard at school, what is the new construction that Isabel tells them about?
4. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
5. Where does Esperanza go to check on things on the morning after the strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esperanza details the things she misses about her mother, why is she so surprised at herself?
2. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
3. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
4. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
5. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
6. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
7. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
8. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
9. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
10. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)