|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
2. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
(a) They are for salad.
(b) They are for raviolis.
(c) They are to soften Esperanza's hands.
(d) They are for guacamole.
3. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
4. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
(a) At the peach harvest.
(b) At the market.
(c) At a machine shop for the railroad.
(d) At the immigration office.
5. Who is Ada?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A woman Esperanza works with.
(c) Marta's mother.
(d) The market owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
2. When Esperanza asks Isabel for news that she has heard at school, what is the new construction that Isabel tells them about?
3. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
4. Where does Esperanza go to check on things on the morning after the strike?
5. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
2. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
3. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
4. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
5. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
6. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
7. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
8. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
9. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
10. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)