|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A toothbrush.
(b) A sun visor.
(c) A money order.
(d) A mug.
2. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Ham and beans.
(b) Hot dogs and beans.
(c) Chicken and beans.
(d) Rice (arroz) and beans.
3. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
4. In Chapter 8 at harvest time, how many days a week are the workers working?
5. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
(a) He has been transferred to Northern California.
(b) He lost his job.
(c) He was denied a raise.
(d) He has been promoted to foreman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
2. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
3. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
4. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
5. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
2. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
3. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
4. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
5. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
6. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
7. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
8. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
9. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
10. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)