|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
(a) A nurse from the county.
(b) A Mexican doctor.
(c) An American doctor.
(d) The foreman's wife.
2. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
3. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
(a) They only listen if you agree with them.
(b) They were abusive to their own people.
(c) Their language was vulgar.
(d) They were dirty.
4. Who does Esperanza find hiding after the officials leave?
5. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) Citizen papers.
(b) A gun.
(c) Rain ponchos.
(d) An umbrella.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
2. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
3. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
4. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
5. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
2. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
3. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
4. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
5. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
6. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
7. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
8. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
9. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
10. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)