|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
2. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
(a) A bag of peaches.
(b) A bag of plums.
(c) A bag of plums.
(d) A bag of cherries.
3. When Esperanza does the family marketing for the first time, what does Esperanza give to the poor man who approaches her and Isabel?
(a) A wedge of cheese.
(d) Corn flour.
4. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(a) Rice pudding.
(b) Fried dough.
(d) Corn bread.
5. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He is friendly with the strikers.
(b) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(c) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
2. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
3. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
4. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
5. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esperanza details the things she misses about her mother, why is she so surprised at herself?
2. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
3. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
4. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
5. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
6. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
7. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
8. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
9. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
10. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)