|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
2. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
3. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
4. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
5. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
2. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
3. What special dessert is Isabel's mother is making on Saturday night?
4. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
5. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
2. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
3. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
4. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
5. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
6. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
7. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
8. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
9. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
10. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)