|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
(b) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
(c) Mexico City.
(d) In the United States.
2. When Esperanza does the family marketing for the first time, what does Esperanza give to the poor man who approaches her and Isabel?
(a) Corn flour.
(b) A wedge of cheese.
3. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
4. What object does Esperanza remove from her valise to give to Isabel?
(a) Her yarn doll from the train.
(b) Her lace collar.
(c) Her lacey socks.
(d) Her porcelain doll.
5. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
(a) In a wagon.
(b) In the truck.
(c) In the doctor's car.
(d) In a taxi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
2. At the market, what does Esperanza buy to give to her mother?
3. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
4. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
5. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
2. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
3. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
4. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
5. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
6. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
7. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
8. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
9. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
10. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)