|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
(a) For Abuelita to be able to get her money from the bank.
(b) For a piece of coconut candy.
(c) For Abuelita to get well.
(d) To make friends.
2. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) In the United States.
(b) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
(c) Mexico City.
(d) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
3. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
(a) Her rosary.
(b) The yarn doll.
(c) The crocheted blanket.
(d) The doll Papa gave Esperanza.
4. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A stuffed baked potato.
(b) A smooth stone from the field.
(c) A shawl.
(d) A yarn doll she made.
5. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
(a) She is making Mama depressed.
(b) She may get what Mama has.
(c) She may bring contagious disease.
(d) She should be working to pay medical bills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
2. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
3. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
4. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
5. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
2. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
3. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
4. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
5. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
6. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
7. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
8. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
9. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
10. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)