|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A mug.
(b) A sun visor.
(c) A toothbrush.
(d) A money order.
2. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
(a) Her rosary.
(b) The yarn doll.
(c) The doll Papa gave Esperanza.
(d) The crocheted blanket.
3. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
(a) She is stronger.
(b) She develops a rash.
(c) She is very weak.
(d) She develops a heart ailment.
4. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
5. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
(a) At a machine shop for the railroad.
(b) At the immigration office.
(c) At the peach harvest.
(d) At the market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
2. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
3. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
4. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
5. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
2. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
3. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
4. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
5. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
6. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
7. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
8. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
9. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
10. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)