|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
2. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
(a) She will bring Abuelita to her.
(b) She will take care of everything.
(c) She will work.
(d) She will pay the bills.
3. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A pretty shawl.
(b) A lollipop.
(c) A pair of red shoes.
(d) A kitten.
4. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
(a) The card she made for Isabel is gone.
(b) The valise is completely empty.
(c) Her money is gone.
(d) Her doll is gone.
5. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Massages her feet.
(b) Braids her hair.
(c) Massages her back.
(d) Feeds her avocado.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
2. What special dessert is Isabel's mother is making on Saturday night?
3. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
4. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
5. When Esperanza asks Josefina where the officials will take the workers, she answers that their final destination will be_______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
2. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
3. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
4. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
5. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
6. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
7. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
8. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
9. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
10. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)