|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) A fiesta.
(b) A meat tortilla.
(c) An omelette.
(d) A cigar.
2. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
3. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Hot dogs and beans.
(b) Ham and beans.
(c) Chicken and beans.
(d) Rice (arroz) and beans.
4. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
(b) Making little cakes.
(c) Making little pies.
5. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A lollipop.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A pretty shawl.
(d) A pair of red shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
2. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
3. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
4. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
5. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esperanza details the things she misses about her mother, why is she so surprised at herself?
2. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
3. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
4. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
5. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
6. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
7. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
8. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
9. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
10. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)