|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
2. When Esperanza asks Isabel for news that she has heard at school, what is the new construction that Isabel tells them about?
(a) A library for the children of families from Oklahoma.
(b) A school for children of families from Oklahoma.
(c) A park for all the children.
(d) A school for all the migrant families.
3. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A stuffed baked potato.
(b) A smooth stone from the field.
(c) A shawl.
(d) A yarn doll she made.
4. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Massages her back.
(b) Feeds her avocado.
(c) Braids her hair.
(d) Massages her feet.
5. When Esperanza asks Josefina where the officials will take the workers, she answers that their final destination will be_______.
(b) El Paso.
(c) San Jose.
(d) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
2. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
3. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
4. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
5. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
2. When Esperanza details the things she misses about her mother, why is she so surprised at herself?
3. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
4. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
5. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
6. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
7. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
8. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
9. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
10. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)