|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(c) Shelling almonds.
2. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
3. Where does Esperanza go to check on things on the morning after the strike?
(a) Miguel's place of work.
(b) Hortensia's place of work.
(c) Marta's camp.
(d) The hospital.
4. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
(b) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(c) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(d) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
5. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
2. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
3. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
4. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
5. When Esperanza and her mother are together in Chapter 7, what does Mama confess she misses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
2. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
3. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
4. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
5. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
6. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
7. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
8. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
9. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
10. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)