|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Hot dogs and beans.
(b) Chicken and beans.
(c) Ham and beans.
(d) Rice (arroz) and beans.
2. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) Pie Contest Day.
(b) Cake Contest Day.
(c) May Day.
(d) Harvest Ball Day.
3. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A money order.
(b) A toothbrush.
(c) A sun visor.
(d) A mug.
4. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A lollipop.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A pair of red shoes.
(d) A pretty shawl.
5. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
(a) Her rosary.
(b) The crocheted blanket.
(c) The doll Papa gave Esperanza.
(d) The yarn doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
2. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
3. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
4. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
5. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
2. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
3. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
4. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
5. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
6. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
7. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
8. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
9. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
10. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)