|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the surprise Alfonso and Miguel show the women after dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A pony.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A shrine.
2. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) An omelette.
(b) A fiesta.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A meat tortilla.
3. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A stuffed baked potato.
(b) A yarn doll she made.
(c) A smooth stone from the field.
(d) A shawl.
4. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
(a) First Place Baker.
(c) Harvest Princess.
5. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
(a) At the market.
(b) At the peach harvest.
(c) At the immigration office.
(d) At a machine shop for the railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
2. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
3. When Esperanza and her mother are together in Chapter 7, what does Mama confess she misses?
4. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
5. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
2. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
3. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
4. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
5. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
6. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
7. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
8. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
9. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
10. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)