|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) Rain ponchos.
(b) Citizen papers.
(c) A gun.
(d) An umbrella.
2. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(a) Shelling almonds.
3. What dissatisfaction does Esperanza have with Miguel when he tell her of his news in Chapter 12?
(a) She feels he should speak up for himself.
(b) She feels he should demand a raise.
(c) She feels he should refuse to leave his family.
(d) She feels that if he is a foreman, he should be able to get a raise and time off.
4. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
(a) The hot sun.
(b) Aches and pains.
(c) The grouchy boss.
(d) The long hours.
5. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
(a) A Christmas tree.
(b) A statue.
(c) A red coat with a shiny pin.
(d) A Pinata.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza asks Isabel for news that she has heard at school, what is the new construction that Isabel tells them about?
2. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
3. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
4. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
5. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
2. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
3. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
4. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
5. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
6. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
7. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
8. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
9. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
10. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)