|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the morning after the strike, what does Esperanza see hanging from a tree?
(a) A United States flag.
(b) A pinata.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A policeman's hat.
2. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) Pie Contest Day.
(b) Harvest Ball Day.
(c) Cake Contest Day.
(d) May Day.
3. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
(a) Fresh air.
(b) More medicine.
(c) For her to see Abuelita.
(d) More sleep.
4. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
(a) To make friends.
(b) For Abuelita to be able to get her money from the bank.
(c) For a piece of coconut candy.
(d) For Abuelita to get well.
5. When Esperanza and her mother are together in Chapter 7, what does Mama confess she misses?
(a) Her house.
(b) Her dresses.
(c) Her servants.
(d) Her garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
2. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
3. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
4. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
5. In Chapter 8 at harvest time, how many days a week are the workers working?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
2. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
3. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
4. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
5. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
6. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
7. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
8. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
9. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
10. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)