|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
(a) Making little pies.
(b) Making little cakes.
2. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) Harvest Ball Day.
(b) Pie Contest Day.
(c) Cake Contest Day.
(d) May Day.
3. Who is Ada?
(a) A woman Esperanza works with.
(b) Marta's mother.
(c) The market owner.
(d) A nurse.
4. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
(a) He has been transferred to Northern California.
(b) He was denied a raise.
(c) He has been promoted to foreman.
(d) He lost his job.
5. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
Short Answer Questions
1. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
2. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
3. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
4. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
5. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
2. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
3. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
4. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
5. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
6. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
7. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
8. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
9. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
10. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)