|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Yakota?
(a) The strike organizer.
(b) The doctor's nephew.
(c) The foreman.
(d) The market owner.
2. When Chapter 8 begins, Esperanza begins her first day of work alone. What is one of her main duties at this time?
(b) Cleaning toilets.
(c) Baking tortillas for dinner.
(d) Shucking corn.
3. What dissatisfaction does Esperanza have with Miguel when he tell her of his news in Chapter 12?
(a) She feels that if he is a foreman, he should be able to get a raise and time off.
(b) She feels he should demand a raise.
(c) She feels he should speak up for himself.
(d) She feels he should refuse to leave his family.
4. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
(a) The grouchy boss.
(b) The long hours.
(c) The hot sun.
(d) Aches and pains.
5. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
2. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
3. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
4. Who does Esperanza find hiding after the officials leave?
5. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Isabel wants to be the May Day Queen. When she tells Esperanza this, what is ironic about her reason for wanting to be this queen?
2. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
3. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
4. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
5. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
6. When Esperanza details the things she misses about her mother, why is she so surprised at herself?
7. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
8. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
9. How is the act of Esperanza's gift of the porcelain doll symbolic?
10. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)