|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
(a) The clean this person's tiny window.
(b) They hang curtains for privacy.
(c) They repair a ceiling in this person's room.
(d) They paint this person's room.
2. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
(a) They are to soften Esperanza's hands.
(b) They are for salad.
(c) They are for guacamole.
(d) They are for raviolis.
3. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(b) Shelling almonds.
4. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
(a) The long hours.
(b) The grouchy boss.
(c) Aches and pains.
(d) The hot sun.
5. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
(a) The card she made for Isabel is gone.
(b) Her doll is gone.
(c) Her money is gone.
(d) The valise is completely empty.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
2. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
3. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
4. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
5. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miguel's attitude toward his job being taken away differ from Esperanza's position about this injustice?
2. In what way is Mama's illness a commentary on the working conditions of the migrant workers?
3. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
4. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
5. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
6. What is significant about Esperanza giving beans to the man at Marta's camp?
7. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
8. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
9. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
10. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)