|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A mug.
(b) A toothbrush.
(c) A money order.
(d) A sun visor.
2. On the morning after the strike, what does Esperanza see hanging from a tree?
(a) A policeman's hat.
(b) A pinata.
(c) A United States flag.
(d) A scarf.
3. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
(a) For Abuelita to get well.
(b) For Abuelita to be able to get her money from the bank.
(c) For a piece of coconut candy.
(d) To make friends.
4. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
5. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
2. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
3. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
4. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
5. At the market, what does Esperanza buy to give to her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Miguel and Esperanza drive to the market, what does Esperanza notice, apparently for the first time about herself?
2. When Esperanza helps Marta after the immigration sweep, what is it about Marta that wins over Esperanza?
3. In Chapter 9, when Esperanza brings the blanket to the hospital, why do she and Mama cry?
4. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
5. When the doctor comes to examine Mama and diagnose her illness, how does Esperanza react?
6. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
7. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
8. In Chapter 11, the strikers want to impede the progress of the asparagus harvest. Why is that an effective tactic?
9. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
10. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)