Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
(a) Abuelita keeps it with her rosary.
(b) Esperanza has it.
(c) Mama has it with her religious statues.
(d) Tio Luis wears it.
2. Who is Sixto?
(a) Esperanza's father.
(b) The son of one of the field workers.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The boss of the field workers.
3. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
(a) Esperanza is making her mother depressed.
(b) Esperanza can choose to be happy or miserable.
(c) Esperanza is making a fool of herself.
(d) Esperanza is ruining her chances of getting one of the better jobs.
4. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He could not pass the test.
(b) He did not have the required lever.
(c) He had no recommendations.
(d) He did not have citizen papers.
5. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
2. At the time of the harvest, how long had the Mexican revolution been over?
3. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
4. What does Marta's family do for a living?
5. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
2. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
3. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
4. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
5. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
6. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
7. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
8. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
9. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
10. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)