|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
(a) People in fancy clothes.
(b) Leather train seats.
(c) Silver and crystal in the dining car.
(d) Soft mattresses in the sleeping compartments.
2. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(b) Tio Luis.
3. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(a) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
(b) The foreman.
(c) The foreman's wife.
4. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
5. What is the name of the poor woman Mama befriends on the train?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
2. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
3. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
4. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the border town where the travelers face an immigration review?
5. What news does Esperanza have for her first birthday morning visitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
2. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
3. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
4. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
5. What do the "line up" of dolls in Esperanza's room represent?
6. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
7. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
8. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
9. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
10. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)