|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
(b) Landowners owning very large pieces of land.
(c) Waste managment.
2. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(c) Tio Luis.
3. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
(a) He is born again out of his ashes.
(b) His wide wings destroy all who threaten him.
(c) He spreads peace wherever he goes.
(d) He sings a sweet, hopeful song that encourages others.
4. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
5. Esperanza finally opens her birthday gifts. From whom is the porcelain doll?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ramona?
2. What is Esperanza feeling about speaking English?
3. Who is Sixto?
4. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
5. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
2. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
3. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
4. What do the "line up" of dolls in Esperanza's room represent?
5. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
6. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
7. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
8. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
9. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
10. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)