|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
2. Mama seems to accept the situation, and once in the cabin, what does she do that Esperanza cannot understand?
(a) Mama takes a nap.
(b) Mama starts cooking.
(c) Mama sings.
(d) Mama yells at her.
3. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the border town where the travelers face an immigration review?
(a) Los Ranchos.
(b) Los Gatos.
4. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
(a) Tio Luis wears it.
(b) Abuelita keeps it with her rosary.
(c) Mama has it with her religious statues.
(d) Esperanza has it.
5. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her photo box.
(b) Her crocheting.
(c) Her doll.
(d) Her journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poor woman Mama befriends on the train?
2. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
3. What is in the trunk that the visitors have left in Chapter 3?
4. When Esperanza talks with Isabel, who does Esperanza say will come soon to rescue them and move them out of the camp?
5. After Paa's will is explained, who offers to buy the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Esperanza meets Marta, a girl they pick up in the truck, who is friendly with Isabel. How is Marta's reaction to Esperanza different from the treatment she had from Isabel?
2. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
3. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
4. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
5. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
6. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
7. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
8. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
9. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
10. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)