|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He could not pass the test.
(b) He did not have citizen papers.
(c) He had no recommendations.
(d) He did not have the required lever.
2. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A blue bird.
(c) A phoenix.
(d) A dove.
3. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
4. Once on the train, how does Mama manage to keep busy?
(a) She crochets.
(b) She knits.
(c) She prays with a rosary.
(d) She writes in a journal.
5. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
(a) Esperanza's education.
(b) Whether or not the income from the grapes is enough to support the house.
(c) Starting a winery.
(d) Esperanza and Miguel's future together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
2. When Mama and Esperanza pass through customs, what words are stamped on their documents?
3. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
4. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
5. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papa impart his love of the land to Esperanza?
2. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
3. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
4. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
5. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
6. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
7. In what way is the ruined rose garden a symbol?
8. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
9. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
10. What do the "line up" of dolls in Esperanza's room represent?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)