|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
2. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(c) Senor Rodriguez.
3. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
(a) He sings a sweet, hopeful song that encourages others.
(b) He is born again out of his ashes.
(c) He spreads peace wherever he goes.
(d) His wide wings destroy all who threaten him.
4. Who is Ramona?
(a) Esperanza's mother.
(b) Esperanza's grandmother.
(c) The head housekeeper.
(d) Esperanza's best friend.
5. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
2. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, what news does Miguel have for Esperanza?
3. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
4. What is Juan's daughter's name?
5. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
2. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
3. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
4. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
5. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
6. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
7. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
8. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
9. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
10. Esperanza meets Marta, a girl they pick up in the truck, who is friendly with Isabel. How is Marta's reaction to Esperanza different from the treatment she had from Isabel?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)