|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
2. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
(a) Tia Maria.
(b) Tio Marco.
(c) Tia Ana.
(d) Tio Luis.
3. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
(a) A picture of the United States.
(b) A picture of Papa.
(c) A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
(d) A picture of the Mexican flag.
4. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her photo box.
(b) Her purse,
(c) Her journal
(d) Her crocheting.
5. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her doll.
(b) Her puzzles.
(c) Her ivory chess set.
(d) Her mother's purse.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the family is waiting for Papa to come in from the fields at the end of the day, who is it that the family worries about?
2. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
3. Who is Juan?
4. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
5. On the truck ride when Marta talks about the workers' conditions and attempts to improve their lives, who is it that listens intently?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
2. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
3. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
4. How does Miguel help Esperanza in her adjustment to work when she is left to do household chores?
5. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
6. Esperanza meets Marta, a girl they pick up in the truck, who is friendly with Isabel. How is Marta's reaction to Esperanza different from the treatment she had from Isabel?
7. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
8. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
9. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
10. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)