|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
(a) People in fancy clothes.
(b) Silver and crystal in the dining car.
(c) Soft mattresses in the sleeping compartments.
(d) Leather train seats.
2. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(a) Senor Rodriguez.
3. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
(a) She would be taken care of by Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(b) She would live in poverty.
(c) She would work for Tio Marco and live in the town.
(d) She would work for the government.
4. Who is Alfonso?
(a) The boss of the field workers.
(b) Esperanza's father.
(c) The son of one of the field workers.
(d) The mayor.
5. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
(a) Better manners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
2. Who is Sixto?
3. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
4. Who is Hortensia?
5. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
2. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
3. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
4. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
5. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
6. What do the "line up" of dolls in Esperanza's room represent?
7. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
8. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
9. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
10. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)