|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sixto?
(a) The son of one of the field workers.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The boss of the field workers.
(d) Esperanza's father.
2. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(a) The mayor.
3. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
(a) A group of female journalists.
(b) A group of female farmers.
(c) A group of nuns.
(d) A group female artists.
4. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
(a) The he is a labor organizer.
(b) That he died in a struggle aganist wealthy people.
(c) That he was once rich, but chose to work in the fields.
(d) That he started a newspaper for field workers.
5. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(d) The girl with dirty hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esperanza finally opens her birthday gifts. From whom is the porcelain doll?
2. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
3. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
4. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
5. What was the treat Esperanza remembers from an earlier time in Zacatecas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
2. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
3. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
4. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
5. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
6. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
7. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
8. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
9. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
10. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)