|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(a) The foreman.
(b) The foreman's wife.
(d) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
2. Who is Ramona?
(a) The head housekeeper.
(b) Esperanza's mother.
(c) Esperanza's best friend.
(d) Esperanza's grandmother.
3. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
4. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
5. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
(b) Tio Luis.
(c) Tio Marco.
(d) Senor Rodriguez.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
2. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
3. When Esperanza wanders away from the picnic, what does she do?
4. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
5. Who is Hortensia?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
2. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
3. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
4. In what way does the author's description of what survived the fire reveal the degree of ruin?
5. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
6. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
7. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
8. Every chapter is named after a fruit, and that fruit has a role in the action of the chapter. This chapter is "The Guavas." What role do the guavas play in the action of Chapter 4?
9. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
10. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)