|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mama seems to accept the situation, and once in the cabin, what does she do that Esperanza cannot understand?
(a) Mama starts cooking.
(b) Mama sings.
(c) Mama takes a nap.
(d) Mama yells at her.
2. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
3. Who is Ramona?
(a) The head housekeeper.
(b) Esperanza's mother.
(c) Esperanza's best friend.
(d) Esperanza's grandmother.
4. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
(a) She would work for Tio Marco and live in the town.
(b) She would be taken care of by Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) She would work for the government.
(d) She would live in poverty.
5. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
(a) A phoenix.
(b) A blue bird.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A dove.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esperanza feeling about speaking English?
2. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what family friend helps the Ortegas and their friends leave Mexico?
4. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
5. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
2. In what way does the author's description of what survived the fire reveal the degree of ruin?
3. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
4. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
5. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
6. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
7. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
8. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
9. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
10. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)