|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
(a) Esperanza and Miguel's future together.
(b) Esperanza's education.
(c) Starting a winery.
(d) Whether or not the income from the grapes is enough to support the house.
2. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
(a) Living in a cabin.
(b) Having electricity.
(c) Running water in their home.
(d) Having real beds.
3. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
(a) A belt buckle.
(c) A horse.
(d) A train ride.
4. Mama seems to accept the situation, and once in the cabin, what does she do that Esperanza cannot understand?
(a) Mama starts cooking.
(b) Mama yells at her.
(c) Mama takes a nap.
(d) Mama sings.
5. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
(a) Abuelita is angry.
(b) Abuelita is encouraging.
(c) Abuelita is discouraging.
(d) Abuelita is frightened.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what family friend helps the Ortegas and their friends leave Mexico?
2. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
3. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
4. When Ramona discusses family choices with Hortensia and her family, where does Hortensia and her family make it known they are going?
5. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
2. In what way does the author's description of what survived the fire reveal the degree of ruin?
3. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
4. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
5. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
6. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
7. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
8. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
9. Esperanza meets Marta, a girl they pick up in the truck, who is friendly with Isabel. How is Marta's reaction to Esperanza different from the treatment she had from Isabel?
10. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)