|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the fire, what is the reason for an Ortega relative's visit?
(a) To give insurance advice.
(b) To bring tortillas.
(c) To bring soup.
(d) To renew his marriage proposal.
2. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her doll.
(b) Her journal.
(c) Her crocheting.
(d) Her photo box.
3. Who is Juan?
(a) Hortensia's brother.
(b) Alfonso's cousin.
(c) Hortensia's cousin.
(d) Alfonso's brother.
4. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
5. When Mama and Esperanza pass through customs, what words are stamped on their documents?
(a) Workers Approved.
(b) Second Class.
(c) Immigrants Mexican.
(d) Mexican National.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama do for the child who interrupted Esperanza's playing on the train?
2. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
3. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
4. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, what did Miguel have in his pocket that proved useful?
5. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
2. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
3. How does Miguel help Esperanza in her adjustment to work when she is left to do household chores?
4. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
5. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
6. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
7. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
8. In what way does the author's description of what survived the fire reveal the degree of ruin?
9. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
10. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)