|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
(a) A lizard.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A bear.
(d) A cat.
2. What is the job Esperanza and Isabel have at the camp?
(a) They clean bathrooms.
(b) They pick strawberries.
(c) They babysit.
(d) They chop vegetables.
3. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
(c) Tio Luis.
(d) Tio Marco.
4. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
(a) That he was once rich, but chose to work in the fields.
(b) The he is a labor organizer.
(c) That he started a newspaper for field workers.
(d) That he died in a struggle aganist wealthy people.
5. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
(d) Better manners.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
2. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
3. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
4. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
5. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papa impart his love of the land to Esperanza?
2. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
3. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
4. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
5. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
6. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
7. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
8. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
9. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
10. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)