|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
(a) In the closet.
(b) Underneath the bed.
(c) In the horse stable.
(d) In the barn.
2. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
(a) She lets the girl hold her hand.
(b) She pulls away from the girl.
(c) She smiles and takes both hands of the girl.
(d) She helps the girl wash her hands.
3. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(a) Tio Luis.
4. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
(a) A picture of the Mexican flag.
(b) A picture of the United States.
(c) A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
(d) A picture of Papa.
5. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
(b) Tio Marco.
(d) Tio Luis.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Paa's will is explained, who offers to buy the house?
2. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
3. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
4. What is Esperanza's last name?
5. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
2. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
3. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
4. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
5. In Chapter 9, before Mama is in the hospital, how does the reader see that her illness affects all?
6. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
7. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
8. How does the sequence of events from Miguel and Esperanza's argument, to her money missing work to cast suspicion on Miguel as the thief?
9. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
10. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)