|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
2. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
(a) A dove.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A blue bird.
(d) A phoenix.
3. Who is Ramona?
(a) Esperanza's grandmother.
(b) Esperanza's best friend.
(c) The head housekeeper.
(d) Esperanza's mother.
4. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(b) Ramon and Wilson.
(c) Cayo and Minte.
(d) Roberto and Leo.
5. When Mama and Esperanza pass through customs, what words are stamped on their documents?
(a) Second Class.
(b) Immigrants Mexican.
(c) Mexican National.
(d) Workers Approved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Juan's daughter's name?
2. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
3. What is Esperanza's last name?
4. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
5. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
Short Essay Questions
1. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
2. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
3. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
4. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
5. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
6. What is it about the migrant worker camp that is difficult for Esperanza?
7. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
8. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
9. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
10. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)