|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Ortega's get to their family friend's house in Chapter 4, for whom does Esperanza look?
2. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
(a) Silver and crystal in the dining car.
(b) Soft mattresses in the sleeping compartments.
(c) People in fancy clothes.
(d) Leather train seats.
3. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
(b) Landowners owning very large pieces of land.
(d) Waste managment.
4. What do the travelers sit on in the train to California?
(a) Their suitcases.
(b) Chicken crates.
(c) Wooden seats.
(d) The floor of the car.
5. Once on the train, how does Mama manage to keep busy?
(a) She knits.
(b) She prays with a rosary.
(c) She crochets.
(d) She writes in a journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of two individuals spending so much time in Papa's study?
2. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
3. When Esperanza wanders away from the picnic, what does she do?
4. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
5. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
2. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
3. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
4. What do the "line up" of dolls in Esperanza's room represent?
5. Once Esperanza explains to Miguel the difference in their social class by saying that they live on different sides of the river. In what context, after the death of her father, does he repeat this expression to Esperanza?
6. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
7. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
8. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
9. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
10. In what way is the ruined rose garden a symbol?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)