|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
2. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
(a) A group female artists.
(b) A group of nuns.
(c) A group of female farmers.
(d) A group of female journalists.
3. At the time of this post-fire visit, what does the Ortega relative suggest will be an appropriate school for Esperanza?
(a) A public school.
(b) A foreign school.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) An English school.
4. When Esperanza's first birthday morning visitor comes, what does he bring for her?
5. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her mother's purse.
(b) Her ivory chess set.
(c) Her doll.
(d) Her puzzles.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, what did Miguel have in his pocket that proved useful?
2. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
3. What news does Esperanza have for her first birthday morning visitor?
4. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
5. At the time of the harvest, how long had the Mexican revolution been over?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
2. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
3. How does Papa impart his love of the land to Esperanza?
4. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
5. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
6. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
7. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
8. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
9. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
10. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)