|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama do for the child who interrupted Esperanza's playing on the train?
(a) She makes her a doll.
(b) She offers the girl her shawl.
(c) She offers her fruit.
(d) She combs her hair and styles it.
2. On the journey to the train station, what is this wagon disguised as?
(a) A fiesta wagon.
(b) A farmer's produce wagon ready for market.
(c) A blacksmith's wagon.
(d) A chicken carrier.
3. Who is Ramona?
(a) The head housekeeper.
(b) Esperanza's best friend.
(c) Esperanza's mother.
(d) Esperanza's grandmother.
4. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
(a) Tio Luis.
5. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
2. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
3. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
4. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
5. Who is Hortensia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
2. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
3. What do the "line up" of dolls in Esperanza's room represent?
4. What has Papa said about Tio Luis and Tio Marco that suggest that they are not men he admires?
5. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
6. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
7. In what way is the ruined rose garden a symbol?
8. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
9. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
10. In what way does the author's description of what survived the fire reveal the degree of ruin?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)