|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(a) Tio Luis.
2. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
(a) Having electricity.
(b) Having real beds.
(c) Living in a cabin.
(d) Running water in their home.
3. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
4. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(c) The mayor.
5. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
(d) The mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
2. While the family is waiting for Papa to come in from the fields at the end of the day, who is it that the family worries about?
3. Who is Ramona?
4. After Esperanza's birthday, who is spending so much time in her father's study?
5. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
2. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
3. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
4. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
5. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
6. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
7. What is the substance of the lecture Mama offers Esperanza when she realizes Alfonso and Hortensia hear Esperanza whining?
8. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
9. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
10. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)