|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their handiwork lesson in Chapter 1, what snack is brought to Esperanza and her grandmother?
2. What do the travelers sit on in the train to California?
(a) Their suitcases.
(b) The floor of the car.
(c) Wooden seats.
(d) Chicken crates.
3. What is Esperanza feeling about speaking English?
(a) It makes her homesick for her English-speaking classmates.
(b) She thinks Marta is showing off.
(c) She thinks she could learn English someday.
(d) She thinks it sounds difficult to learn.
4. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(b) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
(c) The foreman.
(d) The foreman's wife.
5. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ramona discusses family choices with Hortensia and her family, where does Hortensia and her family make it known they are going?
2. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
3. What is the job Esperanza and Isabel have at the camp?
4. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
5. On the journey to the train station, what is this wagon disguised as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
2. What is the symbolic significance of the the shrine Alfonso and Miguel erect?
3. How does Miguel help Esperanza in her adjustment to work when she is left to do household chores?
4. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
5. Mama seems quick to interpret Esperanza's cut finger as a omen involving her husband. Why might she be preoccupied with his safety at this time?
6. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
7. How does the author add to the suspense when she has Miguel present Abuelita?
8. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
9. How does Esperanza's babysitting skills progress as Chapter 8 develops?
10. In the beginning of the story, the reader sees two parents who love their daughter. What kind of life do Esperanza's parents prepare her for?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)