|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(c) Dominican Republic.
2. What does Marta's family do for a living?
(a) They pick oranges.
(b) They pick peaches.
(c) They pick strawberries.
(d) They pick cotton.
3. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
(a) Abuelita is encouraging.
(b) Abuelita is frightened.
(c) Abuelita is angry.
(d) Abuelita is discouraging.
4. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(b) Senor Rodriguez.
5. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
(b) Tio Luis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poor woman Mama befriends on the train?
2. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
3. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
4. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
5. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
2. When Esperanza and Miguel get off the train at a temporary stop, Miguel explains a scenario that is apparently inexplicable to Esperanza. What is this scenario?
3. How does Esperanza'a reaction to her fellow travelers on the family trip from Mexico to California compare or contrast to her mother's reaction to them?
4. The harvest is a time when all farmers have their work rewarded, so it is easy to understand why it is their favorite time of year. Why does Esperanza imply that it is her favorite time of year?
5. When Esperanza talks with her uncles in her father's office, why does the condition of her father's desk bother her?
6. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
7. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
8. In what way is the character of Tio Luis a stock character, in this case, the villain?
9. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
10. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)