|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Esperanza's reaction to the interruption of another child on the train?
(a) She speaks only English to her.
(b) She puts away what she is playing with.
(c) She slyly kicks the child so that no one will see.
(d) She shyly touches the girl's hand.
2. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
3. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
(a) Leather train seats.
(b) Silver and crystal in the dining car.
(c) People in fancy clothes.
(d) Soft mattresses in the sleeping compartments.
4. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
5. When Esperanza wanders away from the picnic, what does she do?
(a) She picks flowers.
(b) She lies on the ground.
(c) She "talks" to her father.
(d) She prays.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
2. When Esperanza talks with Isabel, who does Esperanza say will come soon to rescue them and move them out of the camp?
3. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
4. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
5. What is Abelitia's parting gift to Esperanza?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
2. At the time the fire is discovered, what might be the reason Esperanza is dreaming that a bear is waking her?
3. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
4. How does the short, intimate exchange Mama and Esperanza have after the jamaica effect Esperanza's mood?
5. When Esperanza sees Tio Luis in her father's office, why is Esperanza unhappy to see Tio Luis wearing Papa's belt buckle?
6. At dinner when the family discusses the strike and its progress, how does Miguel's outlook differ from his father's outlook about the support for the strike?
7. In what way could one see that there is even a subtle class system inherent among migrant workers?
8. How does Alfonso show his affection and respect for Ramona (Mama) Ortega when they arrive in California?
9. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
10. What disappointment does MIguel face on his first day at the camp in California?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)