|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
2. What is Abelitia's parting gift to Esperanza?
(a) A basket of figs.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A poem.
3. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
(a) That she not talking about having been rich.
(b) That she will treat Isabel kindly.
(c) That she will try to learn English.
(d) That she will try to be happy.
4. On the truck ride when Marta talks about the workers' conditions and attempts to improve their lives, who is it that listens intently?
5. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
(b) Tio Marco.
(c) Senor Rodriguez.
(d) Tio Luis.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
2. During their handiwork lesson in Chapter 1, what snack is brought to Esperanza and her grandmother?
3. What is the purpose of two individuals spending so much time in Papa's study?
4. On the journey to the train station, what is this wagon disguised as?
5. What do the travelers sit on in the train to California?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Esperanza's visit to the hospital on Christmas Day?
2. Chapter 10 is entitled Los Aguacates, the avocados. Why is this a meaningful title for this particular chapter?
3. In addition to Esperanza's father's death, what else is awful about the way in which Esperanza wakes on on her birthday?
4. At the end of the Chapter 7, Esperanza prays. How do her prayers reveal the subtle change she is beginning to make?
5. When all are planning to work in California, Esperanza says she will work, and everyone laughs. What tone did the author intend for this laugh?
6. Where are Esperanza's sympathies with regard to the strikers?
7. Esperanza meets Marta, a girl they pick up in the truck, who is friendly with Isabel. How is Marta's reaction to Esperanza different from the treatment she had from Isabel?
8. Comment on the image of communal life at this work camp once the work day is over that Ryan portrays in Chapter 7.
9. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
10. In Chapter 9, when Mama is in the hospital, describe the quality of Esperanza's care giving.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)