|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ramona?
(a) The head housekeeper.
(b) Esperanza's best friend.
(c) Esperanza's mother.
(d) Esperanza's grandmother.
2. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
3. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
4. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
(a) Esperanza is ruining her chances of getting one of the better jobs.
(b) Esperanza is making her mother depressed.
(c) Esperanza can choose to be happy or miserable.
(d) Esperanza is making a fool of herself.
5. What is the job Esperanza and Isabel have at the camp?
(a) They babysit.
(b) They clean bathrooms.
(c) They chop vegetables.
(d) They pick strawberries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
2. What is Esperanza's last name?
3. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
4. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
5. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the author's description of what survived the fire reveal the degree of ruin?
2. What is the purpose of Hortensia's recalling the story of the bandits in the house while they are hiding in the wagon?
3. How does the train ride Esperanza takes with her mother and Miguel's family compare or contrast with the previous train trip that Esperanza and Miguel took together with her father?
4. What is significant about Esperanza's reaction to the odors that she now smells among the peasants and on the train?
5. What is the symbolism of the author having Alfonso and his son Miguel be the ones who return to the ranch with the dead body of Papa?
6. How does Miguel show his allegiance to his family in the midst of the fire?
7. When Esperanza and her mother approach the immigration counter, how does Mama manage to display her dignity?
8. How does Senor Rodriguez's gift of papayas renew the grief Esperanza already feels for the loss of her father?
9. How does Miguel help Esperanza in her adjustment to work when she is left to do household chores?
10. Although Mama is very patient with Esperanza's huge social adjustment, there is one time when she tells Esperanza that she is ashamed of her. Explain how Esperanza embarrassed her mother.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)