|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
(c) Broken glass.
2. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) Cake Contest Day.
(b) May Day.
(c) Pie Contest Day.
(d) Harvest Ball Day.
3. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(b) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(c) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
(d) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
4. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Feeds her avocado.
(b) Braids her hair.
(c) Massages her feet.
(d) Massages her back.
5. At the market, what does Esperanza buy to give to her mother?
(a) A robe.
(c) A pinata.
(d) A sweater.
6. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
(a) He was denied a raise.
(b) He has been promoted to foreman.
(c) He lost his job.
(d) He has been transferred to Northern California.
7. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
8. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
(a) Her money is gone.
(b) The valise is completely empty.
(c) Her doll is gone.
(d) The card she made for Isabel is gone.
9. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
(b) She picks asparagus.
(c) She picks potatoes.
(d) She works at the hospital.
10. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
(a) A Christmas tree.
(b) A red coat with a shiny pin.
(c) A Pinata.
(d) A statue.
11. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
(a) Fresh air.
(b) More medicine.
(c) More sleep.
(d) For her to see Abuelita.
12. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
13. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
14. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
(a) A Mexican doctor.
(b) A nurse from the county.
(c) The foreman's wife.
(d) An American doctor.
15. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) An omelette.
(b) A meat tortilla.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A fiesta.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
2. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
3. What dissatisfaction does Esperanza have with Miguel when he tell her of his news in Chapter 12?
4. Where does Esperanza go to check on things on the morning after the strike?
5. When the families are out in the field, who comes to visit Esperanza?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)