|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
(a) They were dirty.
(b) They were abusive to their own people.
(c) Their language was vulgar.
(d) They only listen if you agree with them.
2. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
(a) A nurse from the county.
(b) An American doctor.
(c) The foreman's wife.
(d) A Mexican doctor.
3. When Chapter 8 begins, Esperanza begins her first day of work alone. What is one of her main duties at this time?
(a) Cleaning toilets.
(c) Baking tortillas for dinner.
(d) Shucking corn.
4. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
5. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
(a) The long hours.
(b) Aches and pains.
(c) The grouchy boss.
(d) The hot sun.
6. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
7. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
(a) The meat.
(b) The migrant workers.
(c) The mist.
(d) The immigration officials.
8. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
9. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
(a) A red coat with a shiny pin.
(b) A statue.
(c) A Pinata.
(d) A Christmas tree.
10. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
(b) A pinata.
(c) A wedge of cheese.
11. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Feeds her avocado.
(b) Massages her back.
(c) Braids her hair.
(d) Massages her feet.
12. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
(a) In the truck.
(b) In a wagon.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) In the doctor's car.
13. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The tortilla press.
(b) The bean pot.
(c) The corn shucker.
(d) The babies' diapers.
14. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
(a) Making little pies.
(c) Making little cakes.
15. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
2. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
3. Who is Mr. Yakota?
4. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
5. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)