|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A shawl.
(b) A yarn doll she made.
(c) A smooth stone from the field.
(d) A stuffed baked potato.
2. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
(a) Their language was vulgar.
(b) They were abusive to their own people.
(c) They were dirty.
(d) They only listen if you agree with them.
3. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A pair of red shoes.
(b) A lollipop.
(c) A pretty shawl.
(d) A kitten.
4. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
5. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She works at the hospital.
(b) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
(c) She picks potatoes.
(d) She picks asparagus.
6. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
7. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
(c) Scarlet Fever.
8. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
(a) He was denied a raise.
(b) He lost his job.
(c) He has been promoted to foreman.
(d) He has been transferred to Northern California.
9. When Esperanza asks Isabel for news that she has heard at school, what is the new construction that Isabel tells them about?
(a) A school for children of families from Oklahoma.
(b) A park for all the children.
(c) A library for the children of families from Oklahoma.
(d) A school for all the migrant families.
10. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) Cake Contest Day.
(b) Harvest Ball Day.
(c) May Day.
(d) Pie Contest Day.
11. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
(a) They repair a ceiling in this person's room.
(b) They paint this person's room.
(c) They hang curtains for privacy.
(d) The clean this person's tiny window.
12. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A sun visor.
(b) A mug.
(c) A money order.
(d) A toothbrush.
13. What is the surprise Alfonso and Miguel show the women after dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) A shrine.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A pony.
14. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
15. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) A gun.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) Rain ponchos.
(d) Citizen papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dissatisfaction does Esperanza have with Miguel when he tell her of his news in Chapter 12?
2. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
3. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
4. When Chapter 8 begins, Esperanza begins her first day of work alone. What is one of her main duties at this time?
5. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)