|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
2. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
(a) The plums are what Esperanza shines and puts on the table.
(b) The plums cause the babies' sickness.
(c) The plums are what she gives to a hungry child.
(d) The plums are part of what Esperanza cooks for dinner.
3. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
(a) She puts a hot brick between her feet.
(b) She puts on extra blankets.
(c) She sits near the fire.
(d) She heats her socks before she starts.
4. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
(b) In the United States.
(c) Mexico City.
(d) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
5. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The bean pot.
(b) The tortilla press.
(c) The corn shucker.
(d) The babies' diapers.
6. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
(b) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
(c) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He is friendly with the strikers.
7. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(b) Shelling almonds.
8. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) A meat tortilla.
(b) A fiesta.
(c) An omelette.
(d) A cigar.
9. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Massages her back.
(b) Feeds her avocado.
(c) Braids her hair.
(d) Massages her feet.
10. Who is Ada?
(a) A woman Esperanza works with.
(b) A nurse.
(c) Marta's mother.
(d) The market owner.
11. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
12. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
(a) They repair a ceiling in this person's room.
(b) They hang curtains for privacy.
(c) They paint this person's room.
(d) The clean this person's tiny window.
13. What object does Esperanza remove from her valise to give to Isabel?
(a) Her porcelain doll.
(b) Her yarn doll from the train.
(c) Her lace collar.
(d) Her lacey socks.
14. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
(a) Fresh air.
(b) More medicine.
(c) For her to see Abuelita.
(d) More sleep.
15. Who does Esperanza find hiding after the officials leave?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
2. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
3. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
4. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
5. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)