|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
2. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
3. Who is Mr. Yakota?
(a) The strike organizer.
(b) The foreman.
(c) The doctor's nephew.
(d) The market owner.
4. Who does Esperanza find hiding after the officials leave?
5. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
(a) The meat.
(b) The migrant workers.
(c) The mist.
(d) The immigration officials.
6. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
7. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(d) Shelling almonds.
8. In Chapter 8 at harvest time, how many days a week are the workers working?
9. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
(b) Broken glass.
10. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
11. When Esperanza does the family marketing for the first time, what does Esperanza give to the poor man who approaches her and Isabel?
(c) Corn flour.
(d) A wedge of cheese.
12. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
(a) They are for raviolis.
(b) They are for salad.
(c) They are for guacamole.
(d) They are to soften Esperanza's hands.
13. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(a) Rice pudding.
(b) Corn bread.
(c) Fried dough.
14. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
(b) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(c) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(d) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
15. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
Short Answer Questions
1. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
2. At the market, what does Esperanza buy to give to her mother?
3. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
4. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
5. On the morning after the strike, what does Esperanza see hanging from a tree?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)