|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
(a) A bag of cherries.
(b) A bag of peaches.
(c) A bag of plums.
(d) A bag of plums.
2. When Chapter 8 begins, Esperanza begins her first day of work alone. What is one of her main duties at this time?
(a) Shucking corn.
(c) Baking tortillas for dinner.
(d) Cleaning toilets.
3. At the market, what does Esperanza buy to give to her mother?
(a) A robe.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A pinata.
4. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(b) Rice pudding.
(c) Corn bread.
(d) Fried dough.
5. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
6. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
(a) She sits near the fire.
(b) She puts a hot brick between her feet.
(c) She heats her socks before she starts.
(d) She puts on extra blankets.
7. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
8. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
9. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
(a) The foreman's wife.
(b) A Mexican doctor.
(c) An American doctor.
(d) A nurse from the county.
10. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The corn shucker.
(b) The bean pot.
(c) The tortilla press.
(d) The babies' diapers.
11. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He is friendly with the strikers.
(b) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
(c) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
12. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
13. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
(a) The plums are what Esperanza shines and puts on the table.
(b) The plums cause the babies' sickness.
(c) The plums are what she gives to a hungry child.
(d) The plums are part of what Esperanza cooks for dinner.
14. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A pair of red shoes.
(c) A lollipop.
(d) A pretty shawl.
15. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Ham and beans.
(b) Rice (arroz) and beans.
(c) Hot dogs and beans.
(d) Chicken and beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the surprise Alfonso and Miguel show the women after dinner in Chapter 7?
2. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
3. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
4. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
5. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)