|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Massages her feet.
(b) Massages her back.
(c) Feeds her avocado.
(d) Braids her hair.
2. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
3. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(d) Shelling almonds.
4. When the families are out in the field, who comes to visit Esperanza?
(a) Melina and Irene.
5. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
6. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
7. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
8. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
(a) He has been transferred to Northern California.
(b) He lost his job.
(c) He was denied a raise.
(d) He has been promoted to foreman.
9. At the market, what does Esperanza buy to give to her mother?
(a) A robe.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A pinata.
10. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
(b) In the United States.
(c) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
(d) Mexico City.
11. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
(b) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
(c) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(d) Horensia seeming to be sick.
12. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
13. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
(a) A bag of cherries.
(b) A bag of plums.
(c) A bag of plums.
(d) A bag of peaches.
14. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
(b) He is friendly with the strikers.
(c) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
15. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
(b) She picks potatoes.
(c) She picks asparagus.
(d) She works at the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
2. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
3. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
4. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
5. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)