|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A toothbrush.
(b) A mug.
(c) A money order.
(d) A sun visor.
2. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
(b) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(c) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(d) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
3. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
(b) Harvest Princess.
(d) First Place Baker.
4. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) A gun.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) Rain ponchos.
(d) Citizen papers.
5. In Chapter 8 at harvest time, how many days a week are the workers working?
6. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(a) Fried dough.
(b) Corn bread.
(d) Rice pudding.
7. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
(a) She is making Mama depressed.
(b) She may get what Mama has.
(c) She may bring contagious disease.
(d) She should be working to pay medical bills.
8. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(d) Shelling almonds.
9. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) Cake Contest Day.
(b) Pie Contest Day.
(c) May Day.
(d) Harvest Ball Day.
10. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A lollipop.
(b) A pretty shawl.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A pair of red shoes.
11. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
12. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Ham and beans.
(b) Chicken and beans.
(c) Hot dogs and beans.
(d) Rice (arroz) and beans.
13. Where does Esperanza go to check on things on the morning after the strike?
(a) Hortensia's place of work.
(b) Marta's camp.
(c) Miguel's place of work.
(d) The hospital.
14. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
(b) She works at the hospital.
(c) She picks asparagus.
(d) She picks potatoes.
15. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
(d) Broken glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
2. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
3. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
4. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
5. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)