|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Esperanza asks Josefina where the officials will take the workers, she answers that their final destination will be_______.
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) San Jose.
(d) El Paso.
2. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
3. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
(d) Broken glass.
4. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
(a) The grouchy boss.
(b) The hot sun.
(c) The long hours.
(d) Aches and pains.
5. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
6. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
(a) She should be working to pay medical bills.
(b) She may bring contagious disease.
(c) She is making Mama depressed.
(d) She may get what Mama has.
7. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
(b) He is friendly with the strikers.
(c) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
8. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
(b) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(c) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(d) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
9. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
(a) The meat.
(b) The mist.
(c) The immigration officials.
(d) The migrant workers.
10. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
(a) In the truck.
(b) In the doctor's car.
(c) In a wagon.
(d) In a taxi.
11. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
(a) They paint this person's room.
(b) They repair a ceiling in this person's room.
(c) The clean this person's tiny window.
(d) They hang curtains for privacy.
12. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
13. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
14. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A stuffed baked potato.
(b) A smooth stone from the field.
(c) A shawl.
(d) A yarn doll she made.
15. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A pair of red shoes.
(b) A pretty shawl.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A lollipop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
2. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
3. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
4. When Esperanza does the family marketing for the first time, what does Esperanza give to the poor man who approaches her and Isabel?
5. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)