|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Ham and beans.
(b) Rice (arroz) and beans.
(c) Chicken and beans.
(d) Hot dogs and beans.
2. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A yarn doll she made.
(b) A smooth stone from the field.
(c) A shawl.
(d) A stuffed baked potato.
3. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
4. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
(a) They repair a ceiling in this person's room.
(b) They hang curtains for privacy.
(c) They paint this person's room.
(d) The clean this person's tiny window.
5. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) An omelette.
(b) A meat tortilla.
(c) A fiesta.
(d) A cigar.
6. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
7. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
(a) In the truck.
(b) In the doctor's car.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) In a wagon.
8. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
9. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) Rain ponchos.
(b) A gun.
(c) Citizen papers.
(d) An umbrella.
10. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(d) Shelling almonds.
11. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
(a) She develops a rash.
(b) She develops a heart ailment.
(c) She is very weak.
(d) She is stronger.
12. When Chapter 8 begins, Esperanza begins her first day of work alone. What is one of her main duties at this time?
(b) Cleaning toilets.
(c) Shucking corn.
(d) Baking tortillas for dinner.
13. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
(a) They were abusive to their own people.
(b) Their language was vulgar.
(c) They were dirty.
(d) They only listen if you agree with them.
14. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
(b) A wedge of cheese.
(d) A pinata.
15. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) Mexico City.
(b) In the United States.
(c) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
(d) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Irene and Melina help the Ortega household?
2. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
3. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
4. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
5. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)