|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
2. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
(d) Broken glass.
3. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Chicken and beans.
(b) Hot dogs and beans.
(c) Rice (arroz) and beans.
(d) Ham and beans.
4. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
(a) At the peach harvest.
(b) At the market.
(c) At the immigration office.
(d) At a machine shop for the railroad.
5. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
6. What is the surprise Alfonso and Miguel show the women after dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) A pony.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A shrine.
7. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
(a) Her doll is gone.
(b) The valise is completely empty.
(c) Her money is gone.
(d) The card she made for Isabel is gone.
8. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He is friendly with the strikers.
(b) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(c) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
9. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(b) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
(c) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(d) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
10. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
(a) They were abusive to their own people.
(b) They only listen if you agree with them.
(c) They were dirty.
(d) Their language was vulgar.
11. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
12. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Massages her back.
(b) Feeds her avocado.
(c) Braids her hair.
(d) Massages her feet.
13. When Esperanza and her mother are together in Chapter 7, what does Mama confess she misses?
(a) Her garden.
(b) Her servants.
(c) Her dresses.
(d) Her house.
14. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(a) Fried dough.
(c) Corn bread.
(d) Rice pudding.
15. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A sun visor.
(b) A money order.
(c) A toothbrush.
(d) A mug.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the families are out in the field, who comes to visit Esperanza?
2. Who is Ada?
3. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
4. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
5. What special dessert is Isabel's mother is making on Saturday night?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)