|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
2. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
(a) A nurse from the county.
(b) A Mexican doctor.
(c) The foreman's wife.
(d) An American doctor.
3. In Chapter 8 at harvest time, how many days a week are the workers working?
4. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
5. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
(a) She puts a hot brick between her feet.
(b) She sits near the fire.
(c) She heats her socks before she starts.
(d) She puts on extra blankets.
6. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) An umbrella.
(b) Rain ponchos.
(c) Citizen papers.
(d) A gun.
7. On the morning after the strike, what does Esperanza see hanging from a tree?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A policeman's hat.
(c) A pinata.
(d) A United States flag.
8. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
(a) The meat.
(b) The mist.
(c) The immigration officials.
(d) The migrant workers.
9. What honor is Isabel expecting to win at the celebration at her school in Chapter 12?
(a) Harvest Princess.
(b) First Place Baker.
10. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
11. When Esperanza asks Josefina where the officials will take the workers, she answers that their final destination will be_______.
(a) San Jose.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) El Paso.
12. When Esperanza asks Isabel for news that she has heard at school, what is the new construction that Isabel tells them about?
(a) A school for children of families from Oklahoma.
(b) A library for the children of families from Oklahoma.
(c) A school for all the migrant families.
(d) A park for all the children.
13. After the first crop of harvest time is picked, what is the next crop ready to harvest?
14. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
(a) In a wagon.
(b) In the truck.
(c) In the doctor's car.
(d) In a taxi.
15. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
(a) She is very weak.
(b) She develops a heart ailment.
(c) She develops a rash.
(d) She is stronger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
2. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
3. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
4. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
5. Who is Ada?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)