|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) Cake Contest Day.
(b) Harvest Ball Day.
(c) Pie Contest Day.
(d) May Day.
2. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
3. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
(a) Aches and pains.
(b) The grouchy boss.
(c) The long hours.
(d) The hot sun.
4. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(a) Shelling almonds.
5. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
(a) They are for raviolis.
(b) They are for guacamole.
(c) They are for salad.
(d) They are to soften Esperanza's hands.
6. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
(b) In the United States.
(c) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
(d) Mexico City.
7. What special dessert is Isabel's mother is making on Saturday night?
(a) Almond flan.
(b) Rice pudding.
(c) Corn bread.
(d) Fried dough.
8. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
(a) He lost his job.
(b) He has been promoted to foreman.
(c) He was denied a raise.
(d) He has been transferred to Northern California.
9. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
(a) A bag of cherries.
(b) A bag of plums.
(c) A bag of plums.
(d) A bag of peaches.
10. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
11. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
12. Who is Ada?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A woman Esperanza works with.
(c) The market owner.
(d) Marta's mother.
13. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
(b) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
(c) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(d) Josefina seeming to be sick.
14. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
(a) Her money is gone.
(b) Her doll is gone.
(c) The valise is completely empty.
(d) The card she made for Isabel is gone.
15. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
(c) Broken glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
2. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
3. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
4. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
5. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)