|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
(a) A bag of plums.
(b) A bag of cherries.
(c) A bag of plums.
(d) A bag of peaches.
2. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
(a) She develops a rash.
(b) She is very weak.
(c) She is stronger.
(d) She develops a heart ailment.
3. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The corn shucker.
(b) The babies' diapers.
(c) The tortilla press.
(d) The bean pot.
4. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
(a) The immigration officials.
(b) The migrant workers.
(c) The mist.
(d) The meat.
5. What object does Esperanza remove from her valise to give to Isabel?
(a) Her lace collar.
(b) Her porcelain doll.
(c) Her yarn doll from the train.
(d) Her lacey socks.
6. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
7. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
8. How do Irene and Melina help the Ortega household?
(a) They bring soup to Mama.
(b) They help Esperanza with the cooking.
(c) They help Esperanza with the cleaning.
(d) They help Esperanza with the babysitting.
9. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
(a) A wedge of cheese.
(b) A pinata.
10. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
11. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
(b) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(c) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
(d) He is friendly with the strikers.
12. When Esperanza does the family marketing for the first time, what does Esperanza give to the poor man who approaches her and Isabel?
(b) Corn flour.
(d) A wedge of cheese.
13. Where does Esperanza go to check on things on the morning after the strike?
(a) Miguel's place of work.
(b) The hospital.
(c) Marta's camp.
(d) Hortensia's place of work.
14. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
(a) They are for salad.
(b) They are to soften Esperanza's hands.
(c) They are for raviolis.
(d) They are for guacamole.
15. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(a) Corn bread.
(b) Rice pudding.
(d) Fried dough.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chapter 8 begins, Esperanza begins her first day of work alone. What is one of her main duties at this time?
2. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
3. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
4. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
5. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)