|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
(a) A wedge of cheese.
(c) A pinata.
2. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
(a) The card she made for Isabel is gone.
(b) Her money is gone.
(c) The valise is completely empty.
(d) Her doll is gone.
3. When Esperanza and her mother are together in Chapter 7, what does Mama confess she misses?
(a) Her house.
(b) Her servants.
(c) Her dresses.
(d) Her garden.
4. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
5. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) Rain ponchos.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) A gun.
(d) Citizen papers.
6. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A smooth stone from the field.
(b) A shawl.
(c) A yarn doll she made.
(d) A stuffed baked potato.
7. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Rice (arroz) and beans.
(b) Hot dogs and beans.
(c) Ham and beans.
(d) Chicken and beans.
8. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
9. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
10. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She picks asparagus.
(b) She works at the hospital.
(c) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
(d) She picks potatoes.
11. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
12. Early in Chapter 11, what is Esperanza's criticism of the strikers?
(a) They were abusive to their own people.
(b) They only listen if you agree with them.
(c) Their language was vulgar.
(d) They were dirty.
13. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
14. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
(a) She should be working to pay medical bills.
(b) She is making Mama depressed.
(c) She may bring contagious disease.
(d) She may get what Mama has.
15. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
(b) Mexico City.
(c) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
(d) In the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
2. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
3. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
4. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
5. When Esperanza asks Josefina where the officials will take the workers, she answers that their final destination will be_______.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)