|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A money order.
(b) A mug.
(c) A sun visor.
(d) A toothbrush.
2. When Esperanza does the family marketing for the first time, what does Esperanza give to the poor man who approaches her and Isabel?
(a) A wedge of cheese.
(d) Corn flour.
3. On the morning after the strike, what does Esperanza see hanging from a tree?
(a) A United States flag.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A pinata.
(d) A policeman's hat.
4. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
5. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He is friendly with the strikers.
(b) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
(c) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
6. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) An omelette.
(b) A fiesta.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A meat tortilla.
7. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She works at the hospital.
(b) She picks potatoes.
(c) She picks asparagus.
(d) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
8. When Esperanza and her mother are together in Chapter 7, what does Mama confess she misses?
(a) Her dresses.
(b) Her garden.
(c) Her house.
(d) Her servants.
9. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Braids her hair.
(b) Massages her feet.
(c) Massages her back.
(d) Feeds her avocado.
10. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) May Day.
(b) Harvest Ball Day.
(c) Cake Contest Day.
(d) Pie Contest Day.
11. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
12. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
(a) For Abuelita to get well.
(b) To make friends.
(c) For Abuelita to be able to get her money from the bank.
(d) For a piece of coconut candy.
13. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Hot dogs and beans.
(b) Chicken and beans.
(c) Ham and beans.
(d) Rice (arroz) and beans.
14. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
(a) A pinata.
(b) A wedge of cheese.
15. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
(a) The migrant workers.
(b) The immigration officials.
(c) The meat.
(d) The mist.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
2. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
3. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
4. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
5. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)