|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 12 begins, what celebration is coming up in at Isabel's school?
(a) Harvest Ball Day.
(b) May Day.
(c) Cake Contest Day.
(d) Pie Contest Day.
2. How do Irene and Melina help the Ortega household?
(a) They help Esperanza with the cleaning.
(b) They help Esperanza with the babysitting.
(c) They bring soup to Mama.
(d) They help Esperanza with the cooking.
3. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
4. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
(a) She sits near the fire.
(b) She puts on extra blankets.
(c) She puts a hot brick between her feet.
(d) She heats her socks before she starts.
5. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
6. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
(a) They hang curtains for privacy.
(b) They paint this person's room.
(c) They repair a ceiling in this person's room.
(d) The clean this person's tiny window.
7. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Ham and beans.
(b) Rice (arroz) and beans.
(c) Hot dogs and beans.
(d) Chicken and beans.
8. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
(a) They are for guacamole.
(b) They are for raviolis.
(c) They are for salad.
(d) They are to soften Esperanza's hands.
9. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(b) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
(c) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(d) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
10. At the market, what does Esperanza buy to give to her mother?
(b) A robe.
(c) A pinata.
(d) A sweater.
11. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The tortilla press.
(b) The bean pot.
(c) The babies' diapers.
(d) The corn shucker.
12. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) A cigar.
(b) A fiesta.
(c) An omelette.
(d) A meat tortilla.
13. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
14. Who is Ada?
(a) The market owner.
(b) A nurse.
(c) Marta's mother.
(d) A woman Esperanza works with.
15. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Esperanza go to check on things on the morning after the strike?
2. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
3. When Esperanza asks Josefina where the officials will take the workers, she answers that their final destination will be_______.
4. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
5. When Chapter 8 begins, Esperanza begins her first day of work alone. What is one of her main duties at this time?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)