|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) Rain ponchos.
(b) A gun.
(c) An umbrella.
(d) Citizen papers.
2. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
3. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
4. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
(a) They hang curtains for privacy.
(b) They repair a ceiling in this person's room.
(c) The clean this person's tiny window.
(d) They paint this person's room.
5. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She picks asparagus.
(b) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
(c) She picks potatoes.
(d) She works at the hospital.
6. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(b) Rice pudding.
(c) Fried dough.
(d) Corn bread.
7. When Esperanza does the family marketing for the first time, what does Esperanza give to the poor man who approaches her and Isabel?
(b) A wedge of cheese.
(d) Corn flour.
8. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A money order.
(b) A mug.
(c) A toothbrush.
(d) A sun visor.
9. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
(a) The valise is completely empty.
(b) Her doll is gone.
(c) Her money is gone.
(d) The card she made for Isabel is gone.
10. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
11. What special dessert is Isabel's mother is making on Saturday night?
(a) Almond flan.
(b) Corn bread.
(c) Rice pudding.
(d) Fried dough.
12. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
(a) The foreman's wife.
(b) An American doctor.
(c) A nurse from the county.
(d) A Mexican doctor.
13. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
(a) For her to see Abuelita.
(b) More medicine.
(c) Fresh air.
(d) More sleep.
14. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
15. Who does Esperanza find hiding after the officials leave?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
2. The title of Chapter 8 is Las Ciruelas, the plums. What is the significance of the plums in this chapter?
3. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
4. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
5. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)