|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
(a) A Mexican doctor.
(b) A nurse from the county.
(c) The foreman's wife.
(d) An American doctor.
2. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(b) Fried dough.
(c) Rice pudding.
(d) Corn bread.
3. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The tortilla press.
(b) The babies' diapers.
(c) The corn shucker.
(d) The bean pot.
4. What dissatisfaction does Esperanza have with Miguel when he tell her of his news in Chapter 12?
(a) She feels that if he is a foreman, he should be able to get a raise and time off.
(b) She feels he should speak up for himself.
(c) She feels he should refuse to leave his family.
(d) She feels he should demand a raise.
5. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
(b) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
(c) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He is friendly with the strikers.
6. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
(a) She should be working to pay medical bills.
(b) She may get what Mama has.
(c) She may bring contagious disease.
(d) She is making Mama depressed.
7. On the morning after the strike, what does Esperanza see hanging from a tree?
(a) A policeman's hat.
(b) A pinata.
(c) A United States flag.
(d) A scarf.
8. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
9. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
10. When Esperanza asks Isabel for news that she has heard at school, what is the new construction that Isabel tells them about?
(a) A park for all the children.
(b) A library for the children of families from Oklahoma.
(c) A school for children of families from Oklahoma.
(d) A school for all the migrant families.
11. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
(a) She will bring Abuelita to her.
(b) She will work.
(c) She will take care of everything.
(d) She will pay the bills.
12. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
(b) In the United States.
(c) Mexico City.
(d) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
13. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She works at the hospital.
(b) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
(c) She picks asparagus.
(d) She picks potatoes.
14. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A toothbrush.
(b) A money order.
(c) A mug.
(d) A sun visor.
15. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(b) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
(c) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
(d) Josefina seeming to be sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
2. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
3. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
4. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
5. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)