|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A yarn doll she made.
(b) A shawl.
(c) A smooth stone from the field.
(d) A stuffed baked potato.
2. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He is friendly with the strikers.
(b) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
(c) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
3. What does Esperanza bring home for Isabel on a day she suspects will be a difficult day for Isabel at school?
(a) A bag of peaches.
(b) A bag of plums.
(c) A bag of cherries.
(d) A bag of plums.
4. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
5. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
6. Who encourages Esperanza to do her first job well so she will get hired again?
7. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
8. What do the families have for dessert on their first dinner together?
(a) Fried dough.
(c) Rice pudding.
(d) Corn bread.
9. What object does Esperanza remove from her valise to give to Isabel?
(a) Her porcelain doll.
(b) Her yarn doll from the train.
(c) Her lacey socks.
(d) Her lace collar.
10. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A lollipop.
(c) A pair of red shoes.
(d) A pretty shawl.
11. When Esperanza does the family marketing for the first time, what does Esperanza give to the poor man who approaches her and Isabel?
(a) A wedge of cheese.
(b) Corn flour.
12. When the families are out in the field, who comes to visit Esperanza?
(b) Melina and Irene.
13. When Esperanza asks Josefina where the officials will take the workers, she answers that their final destination will be_______.
(a) El Paso.
(c) San Jose.
(d) Los Angeles.
14. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
(a) He has been promoted to foreman.
(b) He has been transferred to Northern California.
(c) He lost his job.
(d) He was denied a raise.
15. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
(b) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(c) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(d) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
2. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
3. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
4. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
5. Who comes to check on the sick person during harvest time and give a diagnosis?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)