|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When asparagus season begins and the truck arrives to take Esperanza, Hortensia, and Josefina to the field, what does a man have to protect them?
(a) Citizen papers.
(b) A gun.
(c) Rain ponchos.
(d) An umbrella.
2. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
3. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
4. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
(a) The yarn doll.
(b) Her rosary.
(c) The doll Papa gave Esperanza.
(d) The crocheted blanket.
5. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
(a) A red coat with a shiny pin.
(b) A Pinata.
(c) A statue.
(d) A Christmas tree.
6. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A lollipop.
(b) A pair of red shoes.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A pretty shawl.
7. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
8. What is the surprise Alfonso and Miguel show the women after dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) A shrine.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A pony.
9. On the evening of the first dinner at Esperanza's cabin, what do the adults complain of?
(a) Aches and pains.
(b) The long hours.
(c) The grouchy boss.
(d) The hot sun.
10. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
11. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
(a) For her to see Abuelita.
(b) More medicine.
(c) More sleep.
(d) Fresh air.
12. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
(a) In a taxi.
(b) In a wagon.
(c) In the doctor's car.
(d) In the truck.
13. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A yarn doll she made.
(b) A smooth stone from the field.
(c) A stuffed baked potato.
(d) A shawl.
14. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
(a) She heats her socks before she starts.
(b) She sits near the fire.
(c) She puts a hot brick between her feet.
(d) She puts on extra blankets.
15. In Chapter 10, Miguel gets a new job. Where is this job?
(a) At the market.
(b) At the peach harvest.
(c) At the immigration office.
(d) At a machine shop for the railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8 at harvest time, how many days a week are the workers working?
2. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
3. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
4. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
5. How do Irene and Melina help the Ortega household?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)