|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
2. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
(a) Her rosary.
(b) The crocheted blanket.
(c) The yarn doll.
(d) The doll Papa gave Esperanza.
3. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
4. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
5. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The corn shucker.
(b) The bean pot.
(c) The tortilla press.
(d) The babies' diapers.
6. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(c) Shelling almonds.
7. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
(d) Broken glass.
8. What does Esperanza discover when she opens her valise?
(a) Her money is gone.
(b) Her doll is gone.
(c) The card she made for Isabel is gone.
(d) The valise is completely empty.
9. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
(a) For Abuelita to be able to get her money from the bank.
(b) For Abuelita to get well.
(c) To make friends.
(d) For a piece of coconut candy.
10. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) A fiesta.
(b) An omelette.
(c) A meat tortilla.
(d) A cigar.
11. What is the surprise Alfonso and Miguel show the women after dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A shrine.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A pony.
12. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
13. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
(a) Making little pies.
(b) Making little cakes.
14. What does Isabel see at the party that she would like very much to have?
(a) A lollipop.
(b) A pair of red shoes.
(c) A pretty shawl.
(d) A kitten.
15. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mama's diagnosis in Chapter 10?
2. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
3. Who is Mr. Yakota?
4. In Chapter 8, who tells Esperanza that the strike that was planned for the next day will not take place?
5. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)