|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Saturday night, what do the women do together that Esperanza actually enjoys?
(b) Shelling almonds.
2. Who yells out, "It is a sweep!" in Chapter 11?
3. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A toothbrush.
(b) A mug.
(c) A money order.
(d) A sun visor.
4. On the morning after the strike, of whom does Esperanza ask a favor?
5. On Esperanza's day first day of work alone, what does she ruin?
(a) The bean pot.
(b) The babies' diapers.
(c) The corn shucker.
(d) The tortilla press.
6. What does Esperanza do to keep warm while she works in Chapter 9?
(a) She sits near the fire.
(b) She puts on extra blankets.
(c) She puts a hot brick between her feet.
(d) She heats her socks before she starts.
7. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
8. On the morning after the strike, what does Esperanza see hanging from a tree?
(a) A pinata.
(b) A United States flag.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A policeman's hat.
9. In a conversation between Esperanza and Isabel, where does Isabel tell Esperanza that Marta was born?
(a) In the United States.
(b) Mexico City.
(c) In a town near their own town in Mexico.
(d) In a town far from their own town in Mexico.
10. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
(a) In the doctor's car.
(b) In a wagon.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) In the truck.
11. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
12. When Esperanza asks Josefina where the officials will take the workers, she answers that their final destination will be_______.
(a) San Jose.
(c) El Paso.
(d) Los Angeles.
13. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
(a) A statue.
(b) A Pinata.
(c) A Christmas tree.
(d) A red coat with a shiny pin.
14. What does Esperanza notice Isabel is doing in order to help her chances of winning at the school celebration?
(b) Making little cakes.
(d) Making little pies.
15. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Ham and beans.
(b) Chicken and beans.
(c) Rice (arroz) and beans.
(d) Hot dogs and beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
2. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
3. When Esperanza and her mother are together in Chapter 7, what does Mama confess she misses?
4. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
5. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)