|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A yarn doll she made.
(b) A shawl.
(c) A stuffed baked potato.
(d) A smooth stone from the field.
2. With someone sick, how do Alfonso and Juan make conditions better?
(a) They paint this person's room.
(b) The clean this person's tiny window.
(c) They repair a ceiling in this person's room.
(d) They hang curtains for privacy.
3. On Christmas day, what is Mama's condition?
(a) She develops a rash.
(b) She is very weak.
(c) She develops a heart ailment.
(d) She is stronger.
4. After Isabel's news about the new building project, what news does Miguel come home with?
(a) He was denied a raise.
(b) He lost his job.
(c) He has been promoted to foreman.
(d) He has been transferred to Northern California.
5. What does Esperanza buy at the market that is not for her mother?
(a) A toothbrush.
(b) A money order.
(c) A sun visor.
(d) A mug.
6. When Esperanza goes to bed after the strike, what does she worry about?
(a) Horensia seeming to be sick.
(b) Josefina seeming to be sick.
(c) What would happen to her mother if she were picked up and taken away.
(d) Miguel taking care of himself at work.
7. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
(a) She should be working to pay medical bills.
(b) She is making Mama depressed.
(c) She may bring contagious disease.
(d) She may get what Mama has.
8. When Esperanza brings the requested object to the hospital, what does it smell of?
9. What does Esperanza do to earn money once she is the only one in her family working?
(a) She picks potatoes.
(b) She picks asparagus.
(c) She works at the hospital.
(d) She cuts eyes from potatoes.
10. What is one thing the workers do NOT find among asparagus bundles?
(a) Broken glass.
11. When Esperanza talks of "La Migra", what is she talking about?
(a) The meat.
(b) The mist.
(c) The migrant workers.
(d) The immigration officials.
12. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
13. Who does Esperanza find hiding after the officials leave?
14. When the families are out in the field, who comes to visit Esperanza?
(b) Melina and Irene.
15. Before Esperanza leaves the hospital after Mama's diagnosis, what does she do for Mama?
(a) Massages her feet.
(b) Feeds her avocado.
(c) Massages her back.
(d) Braids her hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Esperanza does NOT assure Mama of before she leaves the hospital on the day she gets her diagnosis?
2. Esperanza gives the babies rice water to sip. From whom does she get this idea?
3. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
4. In Chapter 8, it is harvest time. What crop is the family harvesting?
5. What does Esperanza think will make the individual in the hospital feel better?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)