|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chapter 8 begins, Esperanza begins her first day of work alone. What is one of her main duties at this time?
(a) Baking tortillas for dinner.
(b) Shucking corn.
(d) Cleaning toilets.
2. What does the person is in the hospital in Chapter 9 request that Esperanza bring?
(a) The crocheted blanket.
(b) Her rosary.
(c) The yarn doll.
(d) The doll Papa gave Esperanza.
3. What is one of the dishes that the families have on this first dinner together?
(a) Chicken and beans.
(b) Rice (arroz) and beans.
(c) Hot dogs and beans.
(d) Ham and beans.
4. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Avocados." What is the significance of the avocados in this chapter?
(a) They are for guacamole.
(b) They are to soften Esperanza's hands.
(c) They are for salad.
(d) They are for raviolis.
5. What special dessert is Isabel's mother is making on Saturday night?
(a) Almond flan.
(b) Corn bread.
(c) Fried dough.
(d) Rice pudding.
6. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza give her mother?
(a) A smooth stone from the field.
(b) A yarn doll she made.
(c) A stuffed baked potato.
(d) A shawl.
7. What is Esperanza's reaction to Isabel's news about the new building project?
8. With regard to strikers, what have Miguel's experiences been?
(a) He is friendly with the strikers.
(b) He experiences much worse insults for crossing the picket line.
(c) He experiences the same insults for crossing the picket line.
(d) He crosses the picket line without any unpleasantness.
9. How does Esperanza get back and forth to the camp from the hospital?
(a) In a taxi.
(b) In the truck.
(c) In a wagon.
(d) In the doctor's car.
10. What spring crop does Esperanza notice seems to be replaced with new tall plants almost instantly after being picked?
11. When Esperanza teases Isabel that she seems to hate all the crops, what is one crop Isabel says she loves?
12. What does Esperanza give to children of the poor man who approaches them at the market?
(a) A pinata.
(d) A wedge of cheese.
13. When Esperanza asks Isabel for news that she has heard at school, what is the new construction that Isabel tells them about?
(a) A school for all the migrant families.
(b) A library for the children of families from Oklahoma.
(c) A school for children of families from Oklahoma.
(d) A park for all the children.
14. While the camp is having a party, who comes to encourage the workers to strike?
15. In the context of this story, what is a "jamaica?"
(a) A fiesta.
(b) A cigar.
(c) An omelette.
(d) A meat tortilla.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what kind of storm forces the workers back to the cabin?
2. Why do the doctors suggest that Esperanza discontinue her visits to Mama for a while?
3. During the harvest time, who becomes ill?
4. On Christmas day, what does Esperanza see that she wishes she could give to her mother?
5. In Chapter 7, What is one thing that Esperanza does NOT say she will pray for?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)