|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of two individuals spending so much time in Papa's study?
(a) They are going over the business of the ranch.
(b) They are looking for a will.
(c) They are tidying and repairing the room.
(d) They are looking for tools.
2. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(d) The mayor.
3. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her journal
(b) Her crocheting.
(c) Her photo box.
(d) Her purse,
4. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
(a) Abuelita is angry.
(b) Abuelita is discouraging.
(c) Abuelita is frightened.
(d) Abuelita is encouraging.
5. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
6. When the Ortega's get to their family friend's house in Chapter 4, for whom does Esperanza look?
7. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
(a) Esperanza and Miguel's future together.
(b) Starting a winery.
(c) Whether or not the income from the grapes is enough to support the house.
(d) Esperanza's education.
8. After the fire, what is the reason for an Ortega relative's visit?
(a) To bring soup.
(b) To give insurance advice.
(c) To renew his marriage proposal.
(d) To bring tortillas.
9. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
10. When Mama and Esperanza pass through customs, what words are stamped on their documents?
(a) Second Class.
(b) Immigrants Mexican.
(c) Mexican National.
(d) Workers Approved.
11. On the wagon ride to the train station, why is Esperanza not permitted to ride with Miguel as she wants to?
(a) Because women travelling at night is not deemed safe.
(b) Beause she is frail.
(c) Because there is no room.
(d) Because she has behaved like a spoiled child.
12. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(d) The girl with dirty hands.
13. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
(a) Tio Luis.
(c) Tio Marco.
(d) Senor Rodriguez.
14. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
(a) He is born again out of his ashes.
(b) He sings a sweet, hopeful song that encourages others.
(c) He spreads peace wherever he goes.
(d) His wide wings destroy all who threaten him.
15. What is Abelitia's parting gift to Esperanza?
(a) A basket of figs.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the town from which Mama says they are from?
2. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
3. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
4. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
5. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)