|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the family is waiting for Papa to come in from the fields at the end of the day, who is it that the family worries about?
2. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
3. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A lizard.
(c) A cat.
(d) A bear.
4. Mama seems to accept the situation, and once in the cabin, what does she do that Esperanza cannot understand?
(a) Mama sings.
(b) Mama takes a nap.
(c) Mama starts cooking.
(d) Mama yells at her.
5. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
(a) Tio Luis.
6. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, what news does Miguel have for Esperanza?
(a) That he is will work on the ranch for nothing.
(b) That he got a scholarsip for private school in Mexico City.
(c) That he and his family may have to move to the United States.
(d) That his father wants to marry her mother.
7. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Ramon and Wilson.
(b) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) Cayo and Minte.
(d) Roberto and Leo.
8. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(b) Dominican Republic.
9. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
(a) Tio Luis.
(c) Tio Marco.
10. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
(a) A group of female journalists.
(b) A group of female farmers.
(c) A group of nuns.
(d) A group female artists.
11. What does Mama do for the child who interrupted Esperanza's playing on the train?
(a) She offers the girl her shawl.
(b) She makes her a doll.
(c) She offers her fruit.
(d) She combs her hair and styles it.
12. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the town from which Mama says they are from?
(a) Los Ranchos.
(c) Los Gatos.
13. Who is Hortensia?
(a) Esperanza's mother.
(b) The head housekeeper.
(c) Esperanza's best friend.
(d) Esperanza's grandmother.
14. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
(c) Carrying a baby.
(d) Cutting vegetables.
15. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
2. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, what did Miguel have in his pocket that proved useful?
3. When the traveling group reaches the wagon, what is it that Hortensia predicts that Tio Luis has already bragged about?
4. What do the travelers sit on in the train to California?
5. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)