|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
(a) He is born again out of his ashes.
(b) He sings a sweet, hopeful song that encourages others.
(c) His wide wings destroy all who threaten him.
(d) He spreads peace wherever he goes.
2. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
(d) Better manners.
3. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her journal
(b) Her photo box.
(c) Her purse,
(d) Her crocheting.
4. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
(c) Cutting vegetables.
(d) Carrying a baby.
5. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
6. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
(c) The mayor.
7. During their handiwork lesson in Chapter 1, what snack is brought to Esperanza and her grandmother?
8. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
(a) Esperanza and Miguel's future together.
(b) Starting a winery.
(c) Whether or not the income from the grapes is enough to support the house.
(d) Esperanza's education.
9. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
(a) A group female artists.
(b) A group of female journalists.
(c) A group of nuns.
(d) A group of female farmers.
10. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(a) The girl with dirty hands.
11. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
(a) A horse.
(b) A belt buckle.
(d) A train ride.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what family friend helps the Ortegas and their friends leave Mexico?
(a) Senor Rodriguez.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The lawyer.
(d) The family doctor.
13. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A dove.
(c) A phoenix.
(d) A blue bird.
14. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(b) Cayo and Minte.
(c) Ramon and Wilson.
(d) Roberto and Leo.
15. Who is the role model for the dignity that Esperanza must exhibit to visitors?
(a) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza's first birthday morning visitor comes, what does he bring for her?
2. When Mama and Esperanza pass through customs, what words are stamped on their documents?
3. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
4. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
5. Who is Hortensia?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)