Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
(a) Abuelita keeps it with her rosary.
(b) Esperanza has it.
(c) Mama has it with her religious statues.
(d) Tio Luis wears it.
2. Who is Sixto?
(a) Esperanza's father.
(b) The son of one of the field workers.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The boss of the field workers.
3. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
(a) Esperanza is making her mother depressed.
(b) Esperanza can choose to be happy or miserable.
(c) Esperanza is making a fool of herself.
(d) Esperanza is ruining her chances of getting one of the better jobs.
4. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He could not pass the test.
(b) He did not have the required lever.
(c) He had no recommendations.
(d) He did not have citizen papers.
5. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
6. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
7. At the time of the harvest, how long had the Mexican revolution been over?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Twenty years.
8. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
9. What does Marta's family do for a living?
(a) They pick cotton.
(b) They pick oranges.
(c) They pick strawberries.
(d) They pick peaches.
10. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(c) The mayor.
11. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
(a) Living in a cabin.
(b) Having real beds.
(c) Having electricity.
(d) Running water in their home.
12. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(a) The foreman's wife.
(c) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
(d) The foreman.
13. Who is Alfonso?
(a) The son of one of the field workers.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The boss of the field workers.
(d) Esperanza's father.
14. What is the name of the poor woman Mama befriends on the train?
15. Who is Juan?
(a) Alfonso's brother.
(b) Hortensia's cousin.
(c) Alfonso's cousin.
(d) Hortensia's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza is in the garden, on what does she cut her finger?
2. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
3. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
4. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, what news does Miguel have for Esperanza?
5. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)