|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
(a) Tio Marco.
(b) Tio Luis.
(c) Tia Maria.
(d) Tia Ana.
2. Who is Sixto?
(a) Esperanza's father.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The son of one of the field workers.
(d) The boss of the field workers.
3. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
(a) She would be taken care of by Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(b) She would work for Tio Marco and live in the town.
(c) She would work for the government.
(d) She would live in poverty.
4. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
(a) The mother of Tio Marco.
(b) The nuns.
(c) The mother of Tio Luis.
(d) The editor of the local paper.
5. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
6. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(d) Senor Rodriguez.
7. While the family is waiting for Papa to come in from the fields at the end of the day, who is it that the family worries about?
8. What is Esperanza's last name?
(d) Saint Louis.
9. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
(a) In the closet.
(b) In the barn.
(c) Underneath the bed.
(d) In the horse stable.
10. After Esperanza's birthday, who is spending so much time in her father's study?
(a) Miguel and Hortensia.
(b) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) Abuelita and Mama.
(d) Miguel and Alfonso.
11. At the time of this post-fire visit, what does the Ortega relative suggest will be an appropriate school for Esperanza?
(a) A boarding school.
(b) A public school.
(c) A foreign school.
(d) An English school.
12. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He had no recommendations.
(b) He could not pass the test.
(c) He did not have citizen papers.
(d) He did not have the required lever.
13. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A bear.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A cat.
14. Mama seems to accept the situation, and once in the cabin, what does she do that Esperanza cannot understand?
(a) Mama sings.
(b) Mama takes a nap.
(c) Mama yells at her.
(d) Mama starts cooking.
15. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(d) Dominican Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Abelitia's parting gift to Esperanza?
2. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
3. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
4. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
5. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)