|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ramona?
(a) Esperanza's grandmother.
(b) Esperanza's best friend.
(c) Esperanza's mother.
(d) The head housekeeper.
2. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
(a) Soft mattresses in the sleeping compartments.
(b) People in fancy clothes.
(c) Silver and crystal in the dining car.
(d) Leather train seats.
3. What is Juan's daughter's name?
4. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He did not have the required lever.
(b) He did not have citizen papers.
(c) He could not pass the test.
(d) He had no recommendations.
5. After Paa's will is explained, who offers to buy the house?
(a) Tio Luis.
(d) Tio Marco.
6. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(b) The foreman.
(c) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
(d) The foreman's wife.
7. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
(a) Tio Marco.
(c) Tio Luis.
8. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
9. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the town from which Mama says they are from?
(b) Los Gatos.
(c) Los Ranchos.
10. When Ramona discusses family choices with Hortensia and her family, where does Hortensia and her family make it known they are going?
(b) Mexico City.
11. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
(a) A picture of the Mexican flag.
(b) A picture of Papa.
(c) A picture of the United States.
(d) A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
12. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(a) Senor Rodriguez.
13. What detail about the camp makes Marta realize how little privacy she will have?
(a) The large showers rooms.
(b) The row of public toilets.
(c) The outdoor bath tubs.
(d) The large windows without curtains.
14. After Esperanza's birthday, who is spending so much time in her father's study?
(a) Miguel and Hortensia.
(b) Miguel and Alfonso.
(c) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(d) Abuelita and Mama.
15. What is the name of the poor woman Mama befriends on the train?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
2. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
3. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
4. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
5. Who is Sixto?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)