|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
(c) Tio Luis.
2. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(a) Tio Luis.
3. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He did not have the required lever.
(b) He had no recommendations.
(c) He could not pass the test.
(d) He did not have citizen papers.
4. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
(a) Better manners.
5. In Chapter 1, which birthday is Esperanza eagerly anticipating?
(a) Her twelfth.
(b) Her fifteenth.
(c) Her thirteenth birthday.
(d) Her fourteenth.
6. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(b) Roberto and Leo.
(c) Cayo and Minte.
(d) Ramon and Wilson.
7. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
(a) A picture of Papa.
(b) A picture of the United States.
(c) A picture of the Mexican flag.
(d) A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
8. What is the purpose of two individuals spending so much time in Papa's study?
(a) They are looking for tools.
(b) They are going over the business of the ranch.
(c) They are looking for a will.
(d) They are tidying and repairing the room.
9. What is Abelitia's parting gift to Esperanza?
(a) A basket of figs.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A poem.
(d) A scarf.
10. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(c) Dominican Republic.
11. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
(a) Esperanza has it.
(b) Abuelita keeps it with her rosary.
(c) Tio Luis wears it.
(d) Mama has it with her religious statues.
12. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
(a) Abuelita is frightened.
(b) Abuelita is angry.
(c) Abuelita is discouraging.
(d) Abuelita is encouraging.
13. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
(a) That she not talking about having been rich.
(b) That she will try to learn English.
(c) That she will treat Isabel kindly.
(d) That she will try to be happy.
14. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
(a) Esperanza's education.
(b) Esperanza and Miguel's future together.
(c) Starting a winery.
(d) Whether or not the income from the grapes is enough to support the house.
15. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
(a) She would work for the government.
(b) She would live in poverty.
(c) She would work for Tio Marco and live in the town.
(d) She would be taken care of by Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the town from which Mama says they are from?
2. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what family friend helps the Ortegas and their friends leave Mexico?
4. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
5. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)