|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Abelitia's parting gift to Esperanza?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A poem.
(d) A basket of figs.
2. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(b) The mayor.
3. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
(a) She wants to know if she can send Esperanza with them until she can join them.
(b) She wants to know if they will stay and start a new farm for her.
(c) She wants to know if she, Esperanza, and Abuelita can go with Alfonso to California.
(d) She wants to know if they will write her if they find a work for her.
4. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
(a) Tio Luis.
(c) Tio Marco.
5. When Esperanza wanders away from the picnic, what does she do?
(a) She "talks" to her father.
(b) She prays.
(c) She picks flowers.
(d) She lies on the ground.
6. After Paa's will is explained, who offers to buy the house?
(b) Tio Luis.
(c) Tio Marco.
7. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
(a) Mama has it with her religious statues.
(b) Esperanza has it.
(c) Abuelita keeps it with her rosary.
(d) Tio Luis wears it.
8. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
(a) The mother of Tio Luis.
(b) The editor of the local paper.
(c) The mother of Tio Marco.
(d) The nuns.
9. Esperanza finally opens her birthday gifts. From whom is the porcelain doll?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
10. When Esperanza's first birthday morning visitor comes, what does he bring for her?
11. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
(a) Tio Marco.
(b) Senor Rodriguez.
(c) Tio Luis.
12. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
13. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
(a) The mayor.
14. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
(a) She helps the girl wash her hands.
(b) She pulls away from the girl.
(c) She smiles and takes both hands of the girl.
(d) She lets the girl hold her hand.
15. When the Ortega's get to their family friend's house in Chapter 4, for whom does Esperanza look?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
2. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
3. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
4. When the traveling group reaches the wagon, what is it that Hortensia predicts that Tio Luis has already bragged about?
5. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)