|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alfonso?
(a) The son of one of the field workers.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The boss of the field workers.
(d) Esperanza's father.
2. Who is Ramona?
(a) Esperanza's mother.
(b) The head housekeeper.
(c) Esperanza's grandmother.
(d) Esperanza's best friend.
3. On the wagon ride to the train station, why is Esperanza not permitted to ride with Miguel as she wants to?
(a) Because she has behaved like a spoiled child.
(b) Beause she is frail.
(c) Because there is no room.
(d) Because women travelling at night is not deemed safe.
4. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(b) Cayo and Minte.
(c) Ramon and Wilson.
(d) Roberto and Leo.
5. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
(a) A picture of Papa.
(b) A picture of the United States.
(c) A picture of the Mexican flag.
(d) A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
6. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
7. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, what did Miguel have in his pocket that proved useful?
(a) A knife.
(b) A trap.
(c) A gun.
(d) A mouse.
8. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
(a) She lets the girl hold her hand.
(b) She pulls away from the girl.
(c) She smiles and takes both hands of the girl.
(d) She helps the girl wash her hands.
9. Who is the role model for the dignity that Esperanza must exhibit to visitors?
(a) Her mother.
10. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
(a) Tio Luis wears it.
(b) Mama has it with her religious statues.
(c) Abuelita keeps it with her rosary.
(d) Esperanza has it.
11. When Esperanza talks with Isabel, who does Esperanza say will come soon to rescue them and move them out of the camp?
(a) Senor Rodriguez
(b) Tio Marco.
(d) Tio Luis.
12. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
13. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
(a) A phoenix.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A blue bird.
(d) A dove.
14. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(a) The foreman's wife.
(b) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
(d) The foreman.
15. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
(a) Cutting vegetables.
(d) Carrying a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
2. What is Esperanza's reaction to the interruption of another child on the train?
3. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
4. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
5. What news does Esperanza have for her first birthday morning visitor?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)