|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their handiwork lesson in Chapter 1, what snack is brought to Esperanza and her grandmother?
2. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A bear.
(c) A cat.
(d) A lizard.
3. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He did not have the required lever.
(b) He did not have citizen papers.
(c) He had no recommendations.
(d) He could not pass the test.
4. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(c) Tio Luis.
5. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
(a) That she will treat Isabel kindly.
(b) That she will try to be happy.
(c) That she will try to learn English.
(d) That she not talking about having been rich.
6. When Esperanza is in the garden, on what does she cut her finger?
(a) A rake.
(b) A peice of glass.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A thorn of a rose.
7. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her ivory chess set.
(b) Her puzzles.
(c) Her mother's purse.
(d) Her doll.
8. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the house on the ranch?
(d) Tio Luis.
9. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
(a) A horse.
(b) A train ride.
(d) A belt buckle.
10. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(b) The girl with dirty hands.
11. At the time of the harvest, how long had the Mexican revolution been over?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
12. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
(a) The mother of Tio Luis.
(b) The editor of the local paper.
(c) The mother of Tio Marco.
(d) The nuns.
13. In Chapter 1, which birthday is Esperanza eagerly anticipating?
(a) Her thirteenth birthday.
(b) Her fourteenth.
(c) Her twelfth.
(d) Her fifteenth.
14. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(a) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
(b) The foreman's wife.
(d) The foreman.
15. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
(a) She lets the girl hold her hand.
(b) She helps the girl wash her hands.
(c) She smiles and takes both hands of the girl.
(d) She pulls away from the girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
2. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
3. At the time of this post-fire visit, what does the Ortega relative suggest will be an appropriate school for Esperanza?
4. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
5. What detail about the camp makes Marta realize how little privacy she will have?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)