|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Esperanza have for her first birthday morning visitor?
(a) That her mother is ill.
(b) That the harvest is over.
(c) That it is her birthday.
(d) That her father died the day before.
2. Who is Hortensia?
(a) Esperanza's best friend.
(b) Esperanza's mother.
(c) The head housekeeper.
(d) Esperanza's grandmother.
3. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
(a) She wants to know if she can send Esperanza with them until she can join them.
(b) She wants to know if they will stay and start a new farm for her.
(c) She wants to know if she, Esperanza, and Abuelita can go with Alfonso to California.
(d) She wants to know if they will write her if they find a work for her.
4. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
(a) Having electricity.
(b) Living in a cabin.
(c) Having real beds.
(d) Running water in their home.
5. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
6. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
(a) A lizard.
(b) A cat.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A bear.
7. Who is Ramona?
(a) The head housekeeper.
(b) Esperanza's best friend.
(c) Esperanza's grandmother.
(d) Esperanza's mother.
8. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her journal
(b) Her crocheting.
(c) Her purse,
(d) Her photo box.
9. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her crocheting.
(b) Her journal.
(c) Her photo box.
(d) Her doll.
10. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Cayo and Minte.
(b) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) Roberto and Leo.
(d) Ramon and Wilson.
11. While the family is waiting for Papa to come in from the fields at the end of the day, who is it that the family worries about?
12. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
(a) She would work for Tio Marco and live in the town.
(b) She would be taken care of by Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) She would work for the government.
(d) She would live in poverty.
13. What does Marta's family do for a living?
(a) They pick peaches.
(b) They pick oranges.
(c) They pick cotton.
(d) They pick strawberries.
14. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(c) The mayor.
15. What was the treat Esperanza remembers from an earlier time in Zacatecas?
(b) New shoes.
(c) A mango carved like a flower.
(d) A burrito.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
2. On the truck ride when Marta talks about the workers' conditions and attempts to improve their lives, who is it that listens intently?
3. What detail about the camp makes Marta realize how little privacy she will have?
4. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
5. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)