|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
(a) A horse.
(c) A train ride.
(d) A belt buckle.
2. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
(a) She says she will think about it.
(b) She refuses to marry him.
(c) She says she will answer him when her period of grieving is over.
(d) She says yes.
3. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
4. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her doll.
(b) Her puzzles.
(c) Her mother's purse.
(d) Her ivory chess set.
5. When Esperanza is in the garden, on what does she cut her finger?
(a) A rake.
(b) A thorn of a rose.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A peice of glass.
6. Who is Sixto?
(a) The son of one of the field workers.
(b) The boss of the field workers.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Esperanza's father.
7. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
(b) The mayor.
8. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
9. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
(a) A dove.
(b) A blue bird.
(c) A phoenix.
(d) An eagle.
10. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
(c) Tio Luis.
(d) Tio Marco.
11. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(c) Senor Rodriguez.
12. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
13. What is Esperanza's last name?
(a) Saint Louis.
14. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
(a) She pulls away from the girl.
(b) She lets the girl hold her hand.
(c) She smiles and takes both hands of the girl.
(d) She helps the girl wash her hands.
15. What is in the trunk that the visitors have left in Chapter 3?
(a) War souvenirs.
(b) Old newspapers.
(c) Clothes for Esperanza and Ramona.
(d) Belongs of Papa.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
2. At the time of this post-fire visit, what does the Ortega relative suggest will be an appropriate school for Esperanza?
3. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
4. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
5. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)