|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
(a) The nuns.
(b) The mother of Tio Marco.
(c) The mother of Tio Luis.
(d) The editor of the local paper.
2. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Cayo and Minte.
(b) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) Ramon and Wilson.
(d) Roberto and Leo.
3. What is Esperanza's last name?
(b) Saint Louis.
4. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(d) Dominican Republic.
5. What do the travelers sit on in the train to California?
(a) Chicken crates.
(b) The floor of the car.
(c) Their suitcases.
(d) Wooden seats.
6. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
(a) That he died in a struggle aganist wealthy people.
(b) That he started a newspaper for field workers.
(c) The he is a labor organizer.
(d) That he was once rich, but chose to work in the fields.
7. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
(a) Starting a winery.
(b) Esperanza's education.
(c) Whether or not the income from the grapes is enough to support the house.
(d) Esperanza and Miguel's future together.
8. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
(b) Better manners.
9. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(d) Senor Rodriguez.
10. When Ramona discusses family choices with Hortensia and her family, where does Hortensia and her family make it known they are going?
(c) Mexico City.
11. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(c) The mayor.
12. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(a) Tio Luis.
13. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
(a) She says yes.
(b) She refuses to marry him.
(c) She says she will answer him when her period of grieving is over.
(d) She says she will think about it.
14. In Chapter 1, which birthday is Esperanza eagerly anticipating?
(a) Her twelfth.
(b) Her fourteenth.
(c) Her fifteenth.
(d) Her thirteenth birthday.
15. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mama and Esperanza pass through customs, what words are stamped on their documents?
2. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
3. What news does Esperanza have for her first birthday morning visitor?
4. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
5. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)