|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Juan?
(a) Hortensia's cousin.
(b) Hortensia's brother.
(c) Alfonso's brother.
(d) Alfonso's cousin.
2. What detail about the camp makes Marta realize how little privacy she will have?
(a) The row of public toilets.
(b) The outdoor bath tubs.
(c) The large windows without curtains.
(d) The large showers rooms.
3. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
4. When the traveling group reaches the wagon, what is it that Hortensia predicts that Tio Luis has already bragged about?
(a) His belt buckle.
(b) His new stepchild, Esperanza.
(c) His run for mayor.
(d) His engagement to Ramona.
5. When Esperanza is in the garden, on what does she cut her finger?
(a) A rake.
(b) A thorn of a rose.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A peice of glass.
6. Who is the role model for the dignity that Esperanza must exhibit to visitors?
(a) Her mother.
7. In Chapter 1, which birthday is Esperanza eagerly anticipating?
(a) Her twelfth.
(b) Her fifteenth.
(c) Her fourteenth.
(d) Her thirteenth birthday.
8. What is the job Esperanza and Isabel have at the camp?
(a) They clean bathrooms.
(b) They chop vegetables.
(c) They pick strawberries.
(d) They babysit.
9. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
(a) She refuses to marry him.
(b) She says yes.
(c) She says she will think about it.
(d) She says she will answer him when her period of grieving is over.
10. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(c) Dominican Republic.
11. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
(a) She helps the girl wash her hands.
(b) She lets the girl hold her hand.
(c) She smiles and takes both hands of the girl.
(d) She pulls away from the girl.
12. On the wagon ride to the train station, why is Esperanza not permitted to ride with Miguel as she wants to?
(a) Beause she is frail.
(b) Because she has behaved like a spoiled child.
(c) Because there is no room.
(d) Because women travelling at night is not deemed safe.
13. What is Juan's daughter's name?
14. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her mother's purse.
(b) Her puzzles.
(c) Her ivory chess set.
(d) Her doll.
15. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(b) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
(c) The foreman.
(d) The foreman's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
2. When Esperanza's first birthday morning visitor comes, what does he bring for her?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what family friend helps the Ortegas and their friends leave Mexico?
4. At the time of this post-fire visit, what does the Ortega relative suggest will be an appropriate school for Esperanza?
5. On the journey to the train station, what is this wagon disguised as?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)