|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Esperanza is in the garden, on what does she cut her finger?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A rake.
(c) A peice of glass.
(d) A thorn of a rose.
2. What news does Esperanza have for her first birthday morning visitor?
(a) That it is her birthday.
(b) That her mother is ill.
(c) That the harvest is over.
(d) That her father died the day before.
3. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
(a) The he is a labor organizer.
(b) That he was once rich, but chose to work in the fields.
(c) That he started a newspaper for field workers.
(d) That he died in a struggle aganist wealthy people.
4. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
5. After the fire, what is the reason for an Ortega relative's visit?
(a) To renew his marriage proposal.
(b) To give insurance advice.
(c) To bring tortillas.
(d) To bring soup.
6. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
(a) Leather train seats.
(b) Silver and crystal in the dining car.
(c) People in fancy clothes.
(d) Soft mattresses in the sleeping compartments.
7. Mama seems to accept the situation, and once in the cabin, what does she do that Esperanza cannot understand?
(a) Mama starts cooking.
(b) Mama sings.
(c) Mama yells at her.
(d) Mama takes a nap.
8. What is the purpose of two individuals spending so much time in Papa's study?
(a) They are looking for tools.
(b) They are tidying and repairing the room.
(c) They are looking for a will.
(d) They are going over the business of the ranch.
9. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
(a) A picture of the Mexican flag.
(b) A picture of Papa.
(c) A picture of the United States.
(d) A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
10. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
11. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her mother's purse.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her ivory chess set.
(d) Her puzzles.
12. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(a) Dominican Republic.
13. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
(a) That she will try to be happy.
(b) That she will treat Isabel kindly.
(c) That she will try to learn English.
(d) That she not talking about having been rich.
14. What is Marta's attitude toward Esperanza?
(a) She resents Esperanza because of her former wealth.
(b) She is curious about Esperanza's clothes.
(c) She wants to learn etiquette from Esperanza.
(d) She is curious about Esperanza's way of speaking.
15. On the journey to the train station, what is this wagon disguised as?
(a) A blacksmith's wagon.
(b) A farmer's produce wagon ready for market.
(c) A chicken carrier.
(d) A fiesta wagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
2. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
3. When the Ortega's get to their family friend's house in Chapter 4, for whom does Esperanza look?
4. What has happened to Papa's belt buckle since Papa's death?
5. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, what news does Miguel have for Esperanza?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)