|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
2. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(d) The girl with dirty hands.
3. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
(a) Landowners owning very large pieces of land.
(b) Waste managment.
4. Who is Juan?
(a) Hortensia's brother.
(b) Alfonso's cousin.
(c) Hortensia's cousin.
(d) Alfonso's brother.
5. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
(a) She says she will think about it.
(b) She refuses to marry him.
(c) She says she will answer him when her period of grieving is over.
(d) She says yes.
6. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
(a) He spreads peace wherever he goes.
(b) His wide wings destroy all who threaten him.
(c) He is born again out of his ashes.
(d) He sings a sweet, hopeful song that encourages others.
7. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
(a) She wants to know if she can send Esperanza with them until she can join them.
(b) She wants to know if they will stay and start a new farm for her.
(c) She wants to know if she, Esperanza, and Abuelita can go with Alfonso to California.
(d) She wants to know if they will write her if they find a work for her.
8. What is Esperanza's last name?
(c) Saint Louis.
9. What news does Esperanza have for her first birthday morning visitor?
(a) That it is her birthday.
(b) That her mother is ill.
(c) That her father died the day before.
(d) That the harvest is over.
10. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
(a) In the closet.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In the horse stable.
(d) Underneath the bed.
11. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
(b) Senor Rodriguez.
(c) Tio Marco.
(d) Tio Luis.
12. When Mama and Esperanza pass through customs, what words are stamped on their documents?
(a) Immigrants Mexican.
(b) Mexican National.
(c) Workers Approved.
(d) Second Class.
13. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
14. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(b) Tio Luis.
15. Who is Hortensia?
(a) Esperanza's best friend.
(b) Esperanza's grandmother.
(c) The head housekeeper.
(d) Esperanza's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
2. What detail about the camp makes Marta realize how little privacy she will have?
3. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
4. When Esperanza talks with Isabel, who does Esperanza say will come soon to rescue them and move them out of the camp?
5. At the time of this post-fire visit, what does the Ortega relative suggest will be an appropriate school for Esperanza?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)