|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(c) The girl with dirty hands.
2. Who is Hortensia?
(a) Esperanza's grandmother.
(b) Esperanza's mother.
(c) Esperanza's best friend.
(d) The head housekeeper.
3. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, Mama, Abuelita, Alfonso and Hortensia meet to discuss something. What do they discuss?
(a) Esperanza and Miguel's future together.
(b) Whether or not the income from the grapes is enough to support the house.
(c) Starting a winery.
(d) Esperanza's education.
4. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(a) The mayor.
5. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
6. After Esperanza's birthday, who is spending so much time in her father's study?
(a) Abuelita and Mama.
(b) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) Miguel and Alfonso.
(d) Miguel and Hortensia.
7. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
(a) Senor Rodriguez.
(c) Tio Luis.
(d) Tio Marco.
8. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(a) Dominican Republic.
9. What does Mama do for the child who interrupted Esperanza's playing on the train?
(a) She offers her fruit.
(b) She combs her hair and styles it.
(c) She offers the girl her shawl.
(d) She makes her a doll.
10. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
(a) She says she will think about it.
(b) She says yes.
(c) She refuses to marry him.
(d) She says she will answer him when her period of grieving is over.
11. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the town from which Mama says they are from?
(a) Los Gatos.
(b) Los Ranchos.
12. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
(b) A belt buckle.
(c) A horse.
(d) A train ride.
13. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
(a) Underneath the bed.
(b) In the closet.
(c) In the horse stable.
(d) In the barn.
14. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
(a) Having electricity.
(b) Running water in their home.
(c) Living in a cabin.
(d) Having real beds.
15. Who is the role model for the dignity that Esperanza must exhibit to visitors?
(a) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
2. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
3. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
4. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
5. In Chapter 1, which birthday is Esperanza eagerly anticipating?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)