|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the trunk that the visitors have left in Chapter 3?
(a) War souvenirs.
(b) Old newspapers.
(c) Belongs of Papa.
(d) Clothes for Esperanza and Ramona.
2. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He did not have citizen papers.
(b) He did not have the required lever.
(c) He had no recommendations.
(d) He could not pass the test.
3. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
4. When the Ortega's get to their family friend's house in Chapter 4, for whom does Esperanza look?
5. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
(a) The nuns.
(b) The mother of Tio Luis.
(c) The mother of Tio Marco.
(d) The editor of the local paper.
6. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
(a) That he was once rich, but chose to work in the fields.
(b) That he started a newspaper for field workers.
(c) That he died in a struggle aganist wealthy people.
(d) The he is a labor organizer.
7. At the time of this post-fire visit, what does the Ortega relative suggest will be an appropriate school for Esperanza?
(a) An English school.
(b) A public school.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A foreign school.
8. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(c) The girl with dirty hands.
9. When the lawyer comes to explain Papa's will, who is to receive the income for the grapes?
(b) Tio Luis.
10. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her ivory chess set.
(b) Her mother's purse.
(c) Her puzzles.
(d) Her doll.
11. After Esperanza's birthday, who is spending so much time in her father's study?
(a) Abuelita and Mama.
(b) Miguel and Alfonso.
(c) Miguel and Hortensia.
(d) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
12. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
(a) Having electricity.
(b) Running water in their home.
(c) Having real beds.
(d) Living in a cabin.
13. At the time of the harvest, how long had the Mexican revolution been over?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Twenty years.
14. What is Juan's daughter's name?
15. What detail about the camp makes Marta realize how little privacy she will have?
(a) The outdoor bath tubs.
(b) The row of public toilets.
(c) The large windows without curtains.
(d) The large showers rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
2. On the truck ride when Marta talks about the workers' conditions and attempts to improve their lives, who is it that listens intently?
3. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
4. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
5. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)