|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her photo box.
(b) Her journal
(c) Her purse,
(d) Her crocheting.
2. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
(a) A group of female journalists.
(b) A group of nuns.
(c) A group female artists.
(d) A group of female farmers.
3. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
(b) Landowners owning very large pieces of land.
(d) Waste managment.
4. What was the treat Esperanza remembers from an earlier time in Zacatecas?
(b) A mango carved like a flower.
(c) A burrito.
(d) New shoes.
5. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, where did she say that she hid with Esperanza?
(a) In the barn.
(b) Underneath the bed.
(c) In the horse stable.
(d) In the closet.
6. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(c) The mayor.
7. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
(a) She wants to know if she, Esperanza, and Abuelita can go with Alfonso to California.
(b) She wants to know if she can send Esperanza with them until she can join them.
(c) She wants to know if they will write her if they find a work for her.
(d) She wants to know if they will stay and start a new farm for her.
8. When Esperanza wanders away from the picnic, what does she do?
(a) She picks flowers.
(b) She "talks" to her father.
(c) She prays.
(d) She lies on the ground.
9. Who is Hortensia?
(a) Esperanza's best friend.
(b) Esperanza's mother.
(c) The head housekeeper.
(d) Esperanza's grandmother.
10. What is the main crop Esperanza's father grows?
11. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
(a) Abuelita is discouraging.
(b) Abuelita is angry.
(c) Abuelita is encouraging.
(d) Abuelita is frightened.
12. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
(a) That she will try to learn English.
(b) That she will treat Isabel kindly.
(c) That she not talking about having been rich.
(d) That she will try to be happy.
13. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(c) Senor Rodriguez.
14. What is Esperanza feeling about speaking English?
(a) She thinks Marta is showing off.
(b) She thinks she could learn English someday.
(c) She thinks it sounds difficult to learn.
(d) It makes her homesick for her English-speaking classmates.
15. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
(a) She would work for the government.
(b) She would work for Tio Marco and live in the town.
(c) She would live in poverty.
(d) She would be taken care of by Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, what did Miguel have in his pocket that proved useful?
2. Who is Juan?
3. On the truck ride when Marta talks about the workers' conditions and attempts to improve their lives, who is it that listens intently?
4. Who is Alfonso?
5. On the journey to the train station, what is this wagon disguised as?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)