|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
(b) Tio Luis.
(c) Tio Marco.
(d) Senor Rodriguez.
2. When Esperanza wanders away from the picnic, what does she do?
(a) She "talks" to her father.
(b) She lies on the ground.
(c) She prays.
(d) She picks flowers.
3. After the fire, which of the Ortega family relatives comes to visit?
(a) Tio Marco.
(b) Tia Maria.
(c) Tio Luis.
(d) Tia Ana.
4. Why couldn't Miguel work on the railroad in Mexico?
(a) He did not have citizen papers.
(b) He did not have the required lever.
(c) He could not pass the test.
(d) He had no recommendations.
5. When Esperanza talks with Isabel, who does Esperanza say will come soon to rescue them and move them out of the camp?
(b) Tio Marco.
(c) Tio Luis.
(d) Senor Rodriguez
6. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
(a) Having electricity.
(b) Running water in their home.
(c) Having real beds.
(d) Living in a cabin.
7. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Roberto and Leo.
(b) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) Ramon and Wilson.
(d) Cayo and Minte.
8. What is the purpose of two individuals spending so much time in Papa's study?
(a) They are looking for tools.
(b) They are looking for a will.
(c) They are tidying and repairing the room.
(d) They are going over the business of the ranch.
9. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
(a) The mother of Tio Marco.
(b) The mother of Tio Luis.
(c) The editor of the local paper.
(d) The nuns.
10. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
(a) A cat.
(b) A lizard.
(c) A bear.
(d) A puppy.
11. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
(a) She pulls away from the girl.
(b) She lets the girl hold her hand.
(c) She smiles and takes both hands of the girl.
(d) She helps the girl wash her hands.
12. In Chapter 1, which birthday is Esperanza eagerly anticipating?
(a) Her fifteenth.
(b) Her fourteenth.
(c) Her twelfth.
(d) Her thirteenth birthday.
13. During their handiwork lesson in Chapter 1, what snack is brought to Esperanza and her grandmother?
14. Who is Hortensia?
(a) Esperanza's grandmother.
(b) The head housekeeper.
(c) Esperanza's best friend.
(d) Esperanza's mother.
15. When Esperanza is in the garden, on what does she cut her finger?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A rake.
(c) A thorn of a rose.
(d) A peice of glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
2. After Paa's will is explained, who offers to buy the house?
3. When the traveling group reaches the wagon, what is it that Hortensia predicts that Tio Luis has already bragged about?
4. When Esperanza wakes up on the morning of her birthday, what word accurately describes her how she feels?
5. Who is Alfonso?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)