|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(c) Senor Rodriguez.
2. What is Esperanza feeling about speaking English?
(a) She thinks Marta is showing off.
(b) She thinks it sounds difficult to learn.
(c) It makes her homesick for her English-speaking classmates.
(d) She thinks she could learn English someday.
3. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, what news does Miguel have for Esperanza?
(a) That his father wants to marry her mother.
(b) That he and his family may have to move to the United States.
(c) That he is will work on the ranch for nothing.
(d) That he got a scholarsip for private school in Mexico City.
4. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(d) The girl with dirty hands.
5. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
6. When Esperanza's first birthday morning visitor comes, what does he bring for her?
7. When Abuelita is trying to comfort Esperanza, she reminds her of a myth. What is the bird in that myth?
(a) A blue bird.
(b) A dove.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A phoenix.
8. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
(a) The mayor.
9. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her journal.
(b) Her photo box.
(c) Her doll.
(d) Her crocheting.
10. After Esperanza's birthday, who is spending so much time in her father's study?
(a) Abuelita and Mama.
(b) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) Miguel and Hortensia.
(d) Miguel and Alfonso.
11. Who is Ramona?
(a) The head housekeeper.
(b) Esperanza's grandmother.
(c) Esperanza's best friend.
(d) Esperanza's mother.
12. On the truck ride when Marta talks about the workers' conditions and attempts to improve their lives, who is it that listens intently?
13. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
(a) A picture of the United States.
(b) A picture of Papa.
(c) A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
(d) A picture of the Mexican flag.
14. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
(a) She would be taken care of by Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(b) She would live in poverty.
(c) She would work for the government.
(d) She would work for Tio Marco and live in the town.
15. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
(a) The nuns.
(b) The editor of the local paper.
(c) The mother of Tio Luis.
(d) The mother of Tio Marco.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
2. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
3. Who is Sixto?
4. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
5. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)