|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mama sits Esperanza down in the cabin to talk to her, what is the essence of Mama's lecture to Esperanza?
(a) Esperanza is making a fool of herself.
(b) Esperanza is making her mother depressed.
(c) Esperanza can choose to be happy or miserable.
(d) Esperanza is ruining her chances of getting one of the better jobs.
2. When Mama and Esperanza pass through customs, what words are stamped on their documents?
(a) Mexican National.
(b) Immigrants Mexican.
(c) Second Class.
(d) Workers Approved.
3. What outstanding fact does Marta reveal about her father?
(a) That he died in a struggle aganist wealthy people.
(b) The he is a labor organizer.
(c) That he was once rich, but chose to work in the fields.
(d) That he started a newspaper for field workers.
4. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
5. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
(a) A group of nuns.
(b) A group female artists.
(c) A group of female journalists.
(d) A group of female farmers.
6. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
(a) The mother of Tio Marco.
(b) The editor of the local paper.
(c) The nuns.
(d) The mother of Tio Luis.
7. What is Esperanza's reaction to the interruption of another child on the train?
(a) She speaks only English to her.
(b) She shyly touches the girl's hand.
(c) She puts away what she is playing with.
(d) She slyly kicks the child so that no one will see.
8. When the traveling group reaches the wagon, what is it that Hortensia predicts that Tio Luis has already bragged about?
(a) His new stepchild, Esperanza.
(b) His belt buckle.
(c) His engagement to Ramona.
(d) His run for mayor.
9. At the time of the harvest, how long had the Mexican revolution been over?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
10. In what country do Esperanza and her family live?
(a) Dominican Republic.
11. What is Marta's attitude toward Esperanza?
(a) She is curious about Esperanza's clothes.
(b) She wants to learn etiquette from Esperanza.
(c) She is curious about Esperanza's way of speaking.
(d) She resents Esperanza because of her former wealth.
12. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
(b) Landowners owning very large pieces of land.
(d) Waste managment.
13. When Esperanza's first birthday morning visitor comes, what does he bring for her?
14. What is Esperanza feeling about speaking English?
(a) She thinks she could learn English someday.
(b) It makes her homesick for her English-speaking classmates.
(c) She thinks it sounds difficult to learn.
(d) She thinks Marta is showing off.
15. Eventually, in Chapter 5, Esperanza misses her father and cries. Who comforts her and says they also miss him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poor woman Mama befriends on the train?
2. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
3. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
4. When Esperanza talks with Isabel, who does Esperanza say will come soon to rescue them and move them out of the camp?
5. What is Esperanza's reaction to the girl with dirty hands who tries to hold her hand at the camp?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)