|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Orgeta relative visiting after the fire think Esperanza will learn at the school?
(d) Better manners.
2. What picture does one of the frail beggar women carry who asks for money on the train?
(a) A picture of the United States.
(b) A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
(c) A picture of Papa.
(d) A picture of the Mexican flag.
3. In another recollection in Chapter 4, what was it that Papa rewarded Miguel's courage with?
(b) A belt buckle.
(c) A train ride.
(d) A horse.
4. When Esperanza first arrives at the migrant workers camp, who does she hears speaking English?
(a) The foreman.
(c) The foreman's daughter, Flora.
(d) The foreman's wife.
5. Who is the role model for the dignity that Esperanza must exhibit to visitors?
(b) Her mother.
6. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
(a) A group of female journalists.
(b) A group female artists.
(c) A group of nuns.
(d) A group of female farmers.
7. When Esperanza's first birthday morning visitor comes, what does he bring for her?
8. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
9. When the Ortega's get to their family friend's house in Chapter 4, for whom does Esperanza look?
10. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
(a) He spreads peace wherever he goes.
(b) He is born again out of his ashes.
(c) His wide wings destroy all who threaten him.
(d) He sings a sweet, hopeful song that encourages others.
11. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
(c) The mayor.
12. Who is the friend that Esperanza looks forward to spending time with right after her birthday?
13. When Esperanza is doing one of her chores, she hears women laughing at her. What is the chore she isn't doing well?
(c) Carrying a baby.
(d) Cutting vegetables.
14. What does Mama do for the child who interrupted Esperanza's playing on the train?
(a) She offers her fruit.
(b) She combs her hair and styles it.
(c) She makes her a doll.
(d) She offers the girl her shawl.
15. Who are Papa's older step brothers?
(a) Ramon and Wilson.
(b) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) Cayo and Minte.
(d) Roberto and Leo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the issue over which the Mexican Revolution was fought?
2. Who is Alfonso?
3. When Abuelita is trying to get out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
4. Once on the train, how does Mama manage to keep busy?
5. Who made the first cut at harvest time?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)