|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, which birthday is Esperanza eagerly anticipating?
(a) Her twelfth.
(b) Her fourteenth.
(c) Her fifteenth.
(d) Her thirteenth birthday.
2. When Ramona is weighing her options, who explains her options?
(a) Tio Marco.
(b) Tio Luis.
3. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the town from which Mama says they are from?
(c) Los Ranchos.
(d) Los Gatos.
4. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A cat.
(c) A bear.
(d) A lizard.
5. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
(a) People in fancy clothes.
(b) Silver and crystal in the dining car.
(c) Leather train seats.
(d) Soft mattresses in the sleeping compartments.
6. What news does Esperanza have for her first birthday morning visitor?
(a) That her father died the day before.
(b) That her mother is ill.
(c) That it is her birthday.
(d) That the harvest is over.
7. Who is the first person to arrive at Esperanza's on the morning of her birthday?
(d) Senor Rodriguez.
8. After Papa's will is discussed, who proposes marriage to Mama?
(a) Senor Rodriguez.
(b) Tio Luis.
(d) Tio Marco.
9. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(d) The girl with dirty hands.
10. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her mother's purse.
(b) Her puzzles.
(c) Her ivory chess set.
(d) Her doll.
11. What word most accurately describes how everyone on the ranch feels about the presence of the visitors who seem to take over Papa's study?
12. What handiwork does Abuelita teach Esperanza?
13. What group of women help the Ortega's with their plan to survive and make a new life for themselves?
(a) A group of female journalists.
(b) A group female artists.
(c) A group of female farmers.
(d) A group of nuns.
14. Once on the train, how does Mama manage to keep busy?
(a) She writes in a journal.
(b) She crochets.
(c) She prays with a rosary.
(d) She knits.
15. What is Esperanza's last name?
(d) Saint Louis.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, what news does Miguel have for Esperanza?
2. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
3. Who does Esperanza consider to be her best friend?
4. What is the one thing Juan's daughter does NOT brag about to Esperanza?
5. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)