|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Esperanza talks with Isabel, who does Esperanza say will come soon to rescue them and move them out of the camp?
(a) Tio Marco.
(b) Tio Luis.
(d) Senor Rodriguez
2. During their handiwork lesson in Chapter 1, what snack is brought to Esperanza and her grandmother?
3. In Chapter 5, what is the name of the border town where the travelers face an immigration review?
(b) Los Ranchos.
(c) Los Gatos.
4. If Ramona were to stay in Mexico and remain single, what would be her life situation?
(a) She would work for the government.
(b) She would be taken care of by Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
(c) She would work for Tio Marco and live in the town.
(d) She would live in poverty.
5. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
(d) The mayor.
6. When the women in the camp laugh at Esperanza and upset her, who helps her?
(d) The girl with dirty hands.
7. When Esperanza is running out of the house in Chapter 3, what does she manage to grab and rescue?
(a) Her crocheting.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her journal.
(d) Her photo box.
8. Who is Juan?
(a) Alfonso's cousin.
(b) Hortensia's brother.
(c) Hortensia's cousin.
(d) Alfonso's brother.
9. What is Marta's attitude toward Esperanza?
(a) She is curious about Esperanza's way of speaking.
(b) She is curious about Esperanza's clothes.
(c) She resents Esperanza because of her former wealth.
(d) She wants to learn etiquette from Esperanza.
10. Who is the role model for the dignity that Esperanza must exhibit to visitors?
(c) Her mother.
11. What is the job Esperanza and Isabel have at the camp?
(a) They clean bathrooms.
(b) They babysit.
(c) They chop vegetables.
(d) They pick strawberries.
12. What is Juan's daughter's name?
13. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
(a) Abuelita is angry.
(b) Abuelita is discouraging.
(c) Abuelita is encouraging.
(d) Abuelita is frightened.
14. Once on the train, how does Mama manage to keep busy?
(a) She prays with a rosary.
(b) She knits.
(c) She crochets.
(d) She writes in a journal.
15. What is Mama's reaction to a marriage proposal after Papa's death?
(a) She says she will think about it.
(b) She says she will answer him when her period of grieving is over.
(c) She refuses to marry him.
(d) She says yes.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they all discuss family options in Chapter 3, what is Ramona's request of Alfonso?
2. Who is going to care for Abuelita until her ankle heals?
3. When Chapter 3 begins, Esperanza is dreaming. What in her dream is trying to wake her?
4. What is one detail of the luxurious train ride that Esperanza does NOT mention?
5. When Esperanza wanders away from the picnic, what does she do?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)