|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the truck ride when Marta talks about the workers' conditions and attempts to improve their lives, who is it that listens intently?
2. What is Esperanza feeling about speaking English?
(a) It makes her homesick for her English-speaking classmates.
(b) She thinks it sounds difficult to learn.
(c) She thinks Marta is showing off.
(d) She thinks she could learn English someday.
3. To what does Esperanza compare their living style at this camp when they first arrive from Mexico?
4. In the myth that Abuelita reminds Esperanza of, what ultimately happens to the bird?
(a) He sings a sweet, hopeful song that encourages others.
(b) He spreads peace wherever he goes.
(c) His wide wings destroy all who threaten him.
(d) He is born again out of his ashes.
5. What is it that Esperanza plays with on the train until interrupted by another child?
(a) Her mother's purse.
(b) Her ivory chess set.
(c) Her doll.
(d) Her puzzles.
6. On the night of this meeting about Papa's will, what news does Miguel have for Esperanza?
(a) That he is will work on the ranch for nothing.
(b) That he and his family may have to move to the United States.
(c) That his father wants to marry her mother.
(d) That he got a scholarsip for private school in Mexico City.
7. In the recollection that Hortensia told about bandits in the house, what did Miguel have in his pocket that proved useful?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A knife.
(c) A trap.
(d) A gun.
8. When the traveling group reaches the wagon, what is it that Hortensia predicts that Tio Luis has already bragged about?
(a) His new stepchild, Esperanza.
(b) His engagement to Ramona.
(c) His belt buckle.
(d) His run for mayor.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what family friend helps the Ortegas and their friends leave Mexico?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) The family doctor.
(c) Senor Rodriguez.
(d) The mayor.
10. After the fire, what is the reason for an Ortega relative's visit?
(a) To bring tortillas.
(b) To bring soup.
(c) To give insurance advice.
(d) To renew his marriage proposal.
11. During their handiwork lesson in Chapter 1, what snack is brought to Esperanza and her grandmother?
12. On the wagon ride to the train station, why is Esperanza not permitted to ride with Miguel as she wants to?
(a) Beause she is frail.
(b) Because she has behaved like a spoiled child.
(c) Because women travelling at night is not deemed safe.
(d) Because there is no room.
13. When Esperanza wanders away from the picnic, what does she do?
(a) She "talks" to her father.
(b) She lies on the ground.
(c) She prays.
(d) She picks flowers.
14. After Esperanza's birthday, who is spending so much time in her father's study?
(a) Miguel and Alfonso.
(b) Abuelita and Mama.
(c) Miguel and Hortensia.
(d) Tio Luis and Tio Marco.
15. What is Abelitia's parting gift to Esperanza?
(a) A poem.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A basket of figs.
(d) A blanket.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mama talks with Esperanza in the cabin, what does Esperanza promise her mother?
2. What is Marta's attitude toward Esperanza?
3. Who does Esperanza say she will marry some day?
4. Who is Alfonso?
5. What is Abuelita's opinion of Ramona's idea of how they will survive and support themselves?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)