* In 1924, Esperanza is six years old living on the family ranch in Mexico, where she is quite happy
* The story skips to six years later at harvest time and Esperanza is almost 13 years old.
* Her father loves the land and allows Esperanza to come to the ceremonial first cut of the grape harvest.
* There is a harvest ceremony with family and workers of the ranch.
* Esperanza cuts her finger while she is picking roses and knows this is considered bad luck.
* Esperanza's mother also sees Esperanza's cut as an omen.
* Meanwhile, Esperanza's "Papa" is late coming in from the fields.
* Day turns to night and Papa doesn't return.
* Finally the mayor, Tio Marco, and the bank president, Tio Luis, return with Papa's belt buckle.
* Later farm hands return with a wagon in which lies Papa's body.
* Mama faints and Esperanza falls to the ground in despair.
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)