|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(a) Social psychological.
2. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(a) Working class domination.
3. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(b) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
(c) Work is anything man does for the group.
(d) Work is anything man does for himself.
4. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
(a) Julian Green.
5. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What political ideology did Nietzsche find nihilism intertwined with?
2. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
3. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
4. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
5. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
2. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
3. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
4. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
5. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
6. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
7. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
8. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
9. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
10. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)