|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social force does man rely on from others?
2. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
(a) Freedom of mobility.
(b) Freedom from social order.
(c) Freedom of capitalism.
(d) Freedom of speech.
3. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) Society shuns the child.
(b) There is no change in this relationship.
(c) The child becomes more included in a group.
(d) The child becomes more separated from society.
4. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(a) Working class domination.
5. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
(a) Primary ties cannot be cut.
(b) They can be mended if man gives up his freedom.
(c) They cannot be mended.
(d) They become secondary ties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
2. Who is the servant of capitalism?
3. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
4. What organizations were formed during the Renaissance to control prices?
5. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
2. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
3. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
4. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
6. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
7. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
8. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
9. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
10. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)