|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
2. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Dark Ages.
(c) Industrial Revolution.
(d) The Middle Ages.
3. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
(c) The Trial.
4. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
(a) World War II.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) World War I.
(d) The French Revolution.
5. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) The child becomes more separated from society.
(b) The child becomes more included in a group.
(c) Society shuns the child.
(d) There is no change in this relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
2. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
3. Which workers was the medieval economy based on?
4. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
5. What did Luther teach about man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
2. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
3. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
4. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
5. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
6. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
7. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
8. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
9. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
10. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)