|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
(b) Feelings of security and belonging.
2. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(b) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(c) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
(d) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
3. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(b) Economic downturn.
4. What did the new wealthy class seek during the Renaissance?
5. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is anything man does for himself.
(b) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
(c) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(d) Work is anything man does for the group.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
2. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
3. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
4. What is static adaptation?
5. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
2. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
3. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
4. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
5. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
6. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
7. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
8. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
9. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
10. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)