|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social force does man rely on from others?
2. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
(a) Loss of family.
(b) Loss of money.
(c) Loss of security.
(d) Loss of social class.
3. What advantage do animals have over man when entering the world?
(a) Animals are smarter.
(b) Animals are instinctual.
(c) Animals have more freedoms.
(d) Animals do not care about hierarchy.
4. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
(a) The desire for freedom and independence remains unchanged.
(b) There is no correlation.
(c) The desire for freedom and independence increases.
(d) The desire for freedom and independence decreases.
5. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
(b) Big business.
(c) The distant boss.
(d) Trade unions.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Freud, how is man best described?
2. What social class found Lutheranism the most appealing?
3. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
4. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
5. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
2. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
3. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
4. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
5. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
6. What is the social function of education?
7. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
8. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
9. How does social character affect different groups?
10. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)