|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(d) Social psychological.
2. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
(a) Monetary freedoms.
(b) Negative freedoms.
(c) Capitalistic freedoms.
(d) Positive freedoms.
3. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
4. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
(a) Loss of money.
(b) Loss of security.
(c) Loss of family.
(d) Loss of social class.
5. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
(a) Freedom of capitalism.
(b) Freedom from social order.
(c) Freedom of mobility.
(d) Freedom of speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is man's "biological weakness"?
2. In what country did John Calvin's Protestant movement get started?
3. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
4. What is static adaptation?
5. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
2. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
3. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
4. How did Luther's teachings support capitalism?
5. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
6. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
7. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
8. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
9. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
10. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)