Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
(a) His individuality.
(b) HIs family.
(c) His occupation.
(d) His religion.
2. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
(a) The Religious Era.
(b) The Dark Ages.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Industrial Revolution.
3. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(b) The lack of love for one's self.
4. Where did the Renaissance begin?
(c) United States.
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Answer Questions
1. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
2. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
3. How did man view himself and nature during the Renaissance?
4. Why was medieval man in bondage?
5. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does social character affect different groups?
2. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
3. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
4. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
6. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
8. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)