|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
2. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
(a) High taxes.
(d) Trade unions.
3. According to the Catholic Church, what corrupts man?
4. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) Man lost his family.
(b) Man is at peace with nature.
(c) Man lost freedom.
(d) There is discord between man and nature.
5. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
Short Answer Questions
1. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
2. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
3. What political tool was used to influence an individual who was voting?
4. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
5. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
2. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
3. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
4. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
5. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
6. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
7. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
8. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
9. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
10. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)