|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
(b) Big business.
(c) The distant boss.
(d) Trade unions.
2. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
3. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
(a) The desire for freedom and independence remains unchanged.
(b) The desire for freedom and independence increases.
(c) The desire for freedom and independence decreases.
(d) There is no correlation.
4. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
5. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(b) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(c) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
(d) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
2. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
3. According to Fromm, what religious thinking helps society prepare for capitalism?
4. What does Fromm cite as an example of dynamic adaptation?
5. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
2. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
3. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
4. How did Luther's teachings support capitalism?
5. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
6. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
7. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
8. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
9. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
10. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)