|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
(b) Trade unions.
(d) High taxes.
2. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
(a) There is no correlation.
(b) The desire for freedom and independence remains unchanged.
(c) The desire for freedom and independence increases.
(d) The desire for freedom and independence decreases.
3. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
(a) No one.
4. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
2. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
3. What tool developed out of the new capitalistic system that helped promote business?
4. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
5. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
2. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
3. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
4. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
5. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
6. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
7. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
8. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
9. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
10. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)