|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tool developed out of the new capitalistic system that helped promote business?
2. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
(a) The Industrial Revolution.
(b) The Religious Era.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Dark Ages.
3. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
(a) Julian Green.
4. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
(a) The church did not do anything.
(b) The church promised wealth.
(c) Forgiveness and unconditional love.
(d) Disdain for sin.
5. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
(c) Feelings of security and belonging.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
2. Who is the servant of capitalism?
3. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
4. How does Fromm define selfishness?
5. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
2. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
3. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
4. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
6. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
7. What are the differences between an individual's freedom between the medieval and modern societies?
8. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
9. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
10. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)