|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(b) Working class domination.
2. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
(a) Political reform.
(b) Big business expansion.
(c) Increased education.
3. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of greed.
(b) An act of kindness.
(c) An act of freedom.
(d) An act of anger.
4. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
2. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
3. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
4. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
5. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
2. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
3. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
4. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
5. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
6. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
7. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
8. How did Luther's teachings support capitalism?
9. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
10. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)