|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
2. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
(d) Empathy for others.
3. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
(a) Fighting for oppression was easier than fighting for freedom.
(b) Fighting for freedom was not worth it.
(c) Dying while fighting for your freedom.
(d) Fighting for oppression.
4. Why would Fromm view the action of man eating the forbidden fruit as a positive act?
(a) Man separated himself from woman.
(b) Man took a risk.
(c) Man took a step toward becoming an individual.
(d) Man fought against nature.
5. What social class found Lutheranism the most appealing?
(a) Upper Class.
(b) Middle Class.
(c) Lower Class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
2. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
3. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
4. What outlined most new freedoms of the Reformation?
5. According to the Catholic Church, what corrupts man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
2. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
3. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
4. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
5. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
6. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
7. How did Luther's teachings support capitalism?
8. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
9. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
10. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)