|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(b) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(c) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(d) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
2. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
(a) The Religious Era.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Industrial Revolution.
(d) The Dark Ages.
3. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
(b) Empathy for others.
4. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
(b) The Trial.
5. How did Luther define selfishness?
(c) Ignoring religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
2. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
3. How does Fromm define selfishness?
4. What political tool was used to influence an individual who was voting?
5. According to Calvin, what can change a person's destiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
2. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
3. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
4. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
5. What are the differences between an individual's freedom between the medieval and modern societies?
6. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
7. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
8. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
9. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
10. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)