|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fromm cite as an example of dynamic adaptation?
2. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
3. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of freedom.
(b) An act of anger.
(c) An act of greed.
(d) An act of kindness.
4. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
(a) The skin of her hands.
(b) Her head.
(c) The clouds above her.
(d) The wind ruffling the tree branches.
5. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(b) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(c) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
(d) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
2. How does Fromm define selfishness?
3. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
4. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
5. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
2. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
3. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
4. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
5. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
6. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
7. How was fascism viewed when it first came to power?
8. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
9. How did Luther's teachings support capitalism?
10. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)