|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
(a) Catholicism and Islam.
(b) Judaism and Catholicism.
(c) Hindu and Buddism.
(d) Lutheranism and Calvinism.
2. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
(a) Loss of money.
(b) Loss of security.
(c) Loss of family.
(d) Loss of social class.
3. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
(a) World War II.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) World War I.
(d) The American Revolution.
4. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
(b) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(c) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(d) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
5. According to the Catholic Church, what corrupts man?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
2. According to Fromm, what religious thinking helps society prepare for capitalism?
3. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
4. In what country did John Calvin's Protestant movement get started?
5. What political tool was used to influence an individual who was voting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
2. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
3. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
4. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
5. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
6. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
7. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
8. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
9. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
10. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)