|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mechanisms of Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does an individual conform to society?
(a) To escape freedoms and individuality.
(b) To escape feelings of isolaton and fear.
(c) To escape a dictator.
(d) To escape feelings of conformity.
2. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
(a) Freedom of the individual.
(b) Obedience to a leader.
(c) Freedom for the group.
(d) A harmonious society.
3. What do both societies and individuals possess that make them unique?
4. What do masochistic people seek?
(a) They want to both submit and dominate.
(b) They want to submit to a stronger person.
(c) They want to dominate a stronger person.
(d) They want to dominate a weaker person.
5. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
(a) Man could change his dress attire.
(b) Artisans could sell at any price.
(c) Man could change his social order.
(d) Man could move anywhere he wanted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
2. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
3. What do masochists receive from their submissive acts?
4. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
5. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)