|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mechanisms of Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an authoritarian character?
(a) A person who seeks authority over others.
(b) A person who submits to authority but does not hold it over others.
(c) A person who does not respect authority.
(d) A person who submits to authority and wants to exercise authority over others.
2. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
(a) Freedom from social order.
(b) Freedom of capitalism.
(c) Freedom of speech.
(d) Freedom of mobility.
3. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
(a) Freedom from thinking and self.
(b) Freedom from family and friends.
(c) Freedom from authority and outside constraints.
(d) Freedom from self and family.
4. According to Fromm, why does sadism appear natural?
(a) It emphasizes the survival of the fittest over nature and man.
(b) It emphasizes the survival of nature over man.
(c) It is how animals survive.
(d) It is not natural.
5. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
(a) Joseph and his brothers.
(b) Noah's Ark.
(c) Moses receiving the Ten Commandments.
(d) Man's explusion from paradise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
2. How does Fromm define selfishness?
3. What do masochistic people seek?
4. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
5. How did capitalism change the role of individuals?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)