|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mechanisms of Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political ideology is a historical example of authoritarian mechanism?
2. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(b) Work is anything man does for himself.
(c) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
(d) Work is anything man does for the group.
3. Who replaces the original self?
(a) The pseudo self.
(b) The social self.
(c) The actual self.
(d) The conforming self.
4. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
(a) The boss is more involved.
(b) The boss works alongside his workers.
(c) The boss has a less personal role and is more anonymous.
(d) There is no boss.
5. What do masochistic people seek?
(a) They want to dominate a weaker person.
(b) They want to dominate a stronger person.
(c) They want to both submit and dominate.
(d) They want to submit to a stronger person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm cite as an example of dynamic adaptation?
2. What psychological idea is destructiveness related to?
3. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
4. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
5. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)