|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mechanisms of Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
(a) Man's explusion from paradise.
(b) Joseph and his brothers.
(c) Moses receiving the Ten Commandments.
(d) Noah's Ark.
2. Why would Fromm view the action of man eating the forbidden fruit as a positive act?
(a) Man fought against nature.
(b) Man took a step toward becoming an individual.
(c) Man separated himself from woman.
(d) Man took a risk.
3. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
(b) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(c) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(d) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
4. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
5. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
(b) The Trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fromm, what religious thinking helps society prepare for capitalism?
2. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
3. How does Fromm define selfishness?
4. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
5. What do masochistic people seek?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)