|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mechanisms of Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(b) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(c) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
(d) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
2. What word best describes the idea where man "strives for submission and domination"?
3. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
(a) Freedom from self and family.
(b) Freedom from authority and outside constraints.
(c) Freedom from family and friends.
(d) Freedom from thinking and self.
4. What do masochistic people seek?
(a) They want to submit to a stronger person.
(b) They want to dominate a weaker person.
(c) They want to dominate a stronger person.
(d) They want to both submit and dominate.
5. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(b) Social psychological.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
2. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
3. What organizations were formed during the Renaissance to control prices?
4. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
5. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)