|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mechanisms of Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did capitalism change the role of individuals?
(a) It took away their freedoms.
(b) It gave them more freedom.
(c) It turned them against making money.
(d) It turned them into consumers.
2. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
(a) Positive acts.
(b) Negative freedom.
(c) Positive individuality.
(d) Positive freedom.
3. What feeling did the inflation in 1923 Germany and the American crash in 1929 create?
4. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(d) Working class domination.
5. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(b) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
(c) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(d) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
2. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
3. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
4. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
5. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)