|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mechanisms of Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does an individual conform to society?
(a) To escape freedoms and individuality.
(b) To escape feelings of isolaton and fear.
(c) To escape feelings of conformity.
(d) To escape a dictator.
2. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
(a) People were identified by their dress.
(b) People were identified by their occupations.
(c) People were identified by their birthplace.
(d) People were not separated by anything during this time.
3. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(b) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
(c) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(d) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
4. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
(d) Empathy for others.
5. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
(a) There is no boss.
(b) The boss works alongside his workers.
(c) The boss has a less personal role and is more anonymous.
(d) The boss is more involved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the original self?
2. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
3. According to Fromm, why does sadism appear natural?
4. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
5. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)