|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mechanisms of Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
(a) Freedom from family and friends.
(b) Freedom from self and family.
(c) Freedom from authority and outside constraints.
(d) Freedom from thinking and self.
2. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was still bound by primary ties.
(b) He was not part of a group.
(c) He was bound to the church.
(d) He was not self-aware.
3. What outlined most new freedoms of the Reformation?
(a) The economy.
(b) The arts.
(c) Religious doctrines.
(d) The wealthy class.
4. What did Luther teach about man?
(a) He is moral.
(b) He is not free.
(c) He is an individual.
(d) He is inherently corrupt.
5. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
2. What do sadists seek?
3. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
4. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
5. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)