|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the animals who cannot board the ship in Smyrna?
2. What is the name of Adolph Francis' partner?
3. Who makes Nick dinner on the 4th of July?
4. What is Luz's occupation?
5. Who are Al and Max looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator in "After the Storm" regret when he gets out of prison?
2. Who does the American soldier talk with during the night, and what is said?
3. What do the waiters in "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" talk about after the old deaf man leaves?
4. How do Bill and Nick feel about Nick's ended relationship with Marjorie?
5. What do Dr. Adams and Dick argue about?
6. What happens when Turner catches up with William Campbell?
7. What does the narrator tell the old man at the bridge to do, and why does he not listen?
8. What does the American wife do when she hears a cat caught in the rain?
9. How does Joey's father die, and how do the other men respond to this death?
10. Why does Jack get a hotel room for the night of his last boxing match?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Training and education are topics of discussion in these stories. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what affect do they have on the characters involved in those plots?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the stories, and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Death is an integral part of a number of these stories. What are some of the most significant instances of death, and how does it change the course of the plot in these stories?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)