|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the women in Smyrna clinging to?
2. Who kills Francis Macomber?
3. What does Dr. Adams do while he is talking to his wife after fighting with Dick?
4. Who does the American woman say makes the best husbands?
5. Why is Francis Adolph crazy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the American soldier talk with during the night, and what is said?
2. Why does the patient want to be castrated, and what happens to him?
3. How do Bill and Nick feel about Nick's ended relationship with Marjorie?
4. What do the waiters in "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" talk about after the old deaf man leaves?
5. What does Jim do with Liz after returning from his hunting trip?
6. What does the girl tell the boy in "The Sea Change", and how does he respond?
7. What does the narrator tell the old man at the bridge to do, and why does he not listen?
8. Why does Jack get a hotel room for the night of his last boxing match?
9. What does Nick's father tell him on the 4th of July, and how does Nick respond?
10. How does the American couple feel about the trip Peduzzi takes them on, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Failure is a strong theme in these stories. Which of the plot lines best displays this theme, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in these stories. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Protection is a strong theme in these stories. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)