|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Guy stopped by a fascist officer?
2. Where does Nick meet Hopkins?
3. What is the name of the favored cafy in "In Another Country"?
4. What is the name of Adolph Francis' partner?
5. Where are the Roman soldiers meeting in "Today is Friday"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harold's one criteria in a wife?
2. How does Paco from "The Capital of the World" die?
3. What happens to the Indian woman's husband while she is undergoing a C-Section?
4. What are the Roman soldiers talking about in "Today is Friday"?
5. What is Nick doing when he meets Adolph Francis and Bugs?
6. What do Dr. Adams and Dick argue about?
7. What does the narrator in "After the Storm" regret when he gets out of prison?
8. Who does the American soldier talk with during the night, and what is said?
9. What do the waiters in "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" talk about after the old deaf man leaves?
10. What are the officers in "In Another Country" doing in Milan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in these stories are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Hemingway. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plots they are involved in?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the stories, and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)