|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bill and Nick drink after the whiskey is gone?
2. How old is Mr. Elliot when he gets married?
3. Why does the boy think the girl wants to do the unnamed activity?
4. What do Bill and Nick talk about while they drink whiskey together?
5. How does Nick get home after ending his relationship with Marjorie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the young couple reveal to the older American woman as the train stops?
2. What are the officers in "In Another Country" doing in Milan?
3. Why does Jack get a hotel room for the night of his last boxing match?
4. What happens when Turner catches up with William Campbell?
5. How does the American couple feel about the trip Peduzzi takes them on, and why?
6. What does Nick tell Anderson, and how does Anderson respond?
7. How does Paco from "The Capital of the World" die?
8. What does the narrator in "After the Storm" regret when he gets out of prison?
9. How does Joey's father die, and how do the other men respond to this death?
10. What happens to the Indian woman's husband while she is undergoing a C-Section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Hemingway. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plots they are involved in?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of these stories. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of those stories?
Essay Topic 3
Training and education are topics of discussion in these stories. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what affect do they have on the characters involved in those plots?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)