|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the parrot claim Eric's grandfather was trying to summon?
2. What sort of duties do Amazonian princesses capture explorers for?
3. What is the name of the continent that slipped into the ocean one thousand years ago?
4. Who is Great A'tuin?
5. After the Ephebians find Rincewind in the café, who do they claim wants a word with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Rincewind and the others are saved from being sacrificed.
2. How do the Tezumen priests adjust to the death of their god?
3. Why does Death wear a veil around his bees?
4. What are Rincewind's reasons for giving the parrot away?
5. What puzzles Rincewind about Ponce da Quirm's search?
6. What event outside the Tsort gates leaves Rincewind and Eric unguarded?
7. Why is Astfgl interested in Eric?
8. Describe how Rincewind and Eric enter Tsort.
9. Describe the university library.
10. Describe Rincewind's knack.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine if Rincewind and Eric were able to affect history. Do they cause history? Is history predetermined? When do they appear to affect history? Is the outcome different after they have interfered with it? Do they ever appear to have the choice of opting out of their adventure? Does their fate appear to be in their own hands?
Essay Topic 2
Eric's wishes do not go exactly as he planned. Determine if the overall result of Eric's wishes is positive or negative. What are the immediate results of each wish? What are the long term results of each?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the author uses subtlety for comedic effect. When is subtlety used? What makes it work? Are Terry Pratchett's strengths in his obvious jokes, or his subtle jokes? Are the characters aware of the joke? Is it funny to the characters? What does subtlety bring to a joke that an obvious punch line does not?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)