|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word being shouted in the nightmares from #24?
2. What's the name of the shop where Alan used to work?
3. What does Alan say he knows more about than Dysart?
4. What does Dysart call Hesther at the end of scene 18?
5. What does Frank call television?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first tape from Alan contain?
2. What is the secret that Frank shares with Dysart?
3. What does Frank think of the way Dora raised Alan?
4. What happens when someone rides Equus, according to Alan?
5. What happens after Alan leads the horse offstage?
6. What does Alan say when he recounts his nonverbal conversation with that first horse?
7. What does Jill do when she sees Alan has a good feel for working with the horses?
8. What is includes in the content of Alan's letter to Dysart?
9. How does Dora describe the hose picture?
10. How does Alan react to Nugget as he is grooming him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another question that is brought up in "Equus" is the idea of accountability for one's actions.
Part 1: How do you define being personally accountable for your actions? What does this mean in your life?
Part 2: For what actions should Alan be held accountable? Support your answer.
Part 3: Do you feel Alan deserves to be in jail or in the mental hospital? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is an important part of this play, with symbolism and references throughout the pages.
Part 1: What is the relationship between Alan and religion? How does he feel about it? What does it mean for him?
Part 2: Compare and contrast Alan's parents' feelings about religion and faith.
Part 3: What are Dysart's ideas about faith and religion? How do these affect his understanding of Alan?
Essay Topic 3
The relationships between father and son or father figure and son figure are also scrutinized.
Part 1: Describe the relationship between Alan and his father. How would you categorize it - happy, sad, unhealthy, etc.? Support your answer.
Part 2: Describe the relationship between Alan and Dysart. How would you categorize it - good, bad, balanced, etc.? Support your answer.
Part 3: Do you think Alan and Dysart view themselves in a father and son sort of relationship? Why or why not?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)