|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gilgamesh see the ax in his dream?
2. What is another name for the cedar forest?
3. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
4. What happens when Gilgamesh and Enkidu fight?
5. How many hours do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk in one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilgamesh's actions following the beheading of Humbaba.
2. Describe the only available way to cross to Utnapishtim.
3. What does Enkidu counsel Gilgamesh to do with Humbaba and why?
4. Describe the items Isthar promises Gilgamesh if he will become her husband.
5. Discuss Enkidu's interpretations of Gilgamesh's dreams.
6. Discuss why Enkidu is angered by news of the celebration in Uruk.
7. Describe Ekidnu's character.
8. What does Ninsun wear to pray to Shamash? Why does she dress this way?
9. Describe the weapons Gilgamesh and Enkidu arm themselves with to fight Humbaba.
10. Who speaks the last lines of the Tablet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities between Utnapishtim's flood story and the Biblical account of Noah and the flood. What is the symbolism of the flood? Why do you think at least one man is saved in each story?
Essay Topic 2
Humbaba is not ready for battle when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive. As the defender of the forest it seems that the guardian should be ready to meet enemies at all times. Discuss the reasons Humbaba may not be ready for battle? Discuss also the implications of a demon guardian who must wear special armor in order to be invincible? Does the timing of Gilgamesh's arrival indicate a favorable outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Enlil is said to be the god who appointed Humbaba protector of the cedar forest. In Tablet, 7 Enlil is the god who announces that Enkidu shall die for his part in the killing of Humbaba, the bull of heaven and cutting down the cedar forest. Knowing that Enlil wanted the forest protected why do you think he chooses Enkidu over Gilgamesh as the one to die? Do you think that Enkidu's previous knowledge of Humbaba and the forest plays a role in Enlil's decision? Does Enlil count Gilgamesh innocent because he did not originally know the story of Humbaba and the cedar forest?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)