|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reminds Gilgamesh of his boast in Uruk?
2. Why do the gods create Enkidu?
3. Humbaba promises to be Gilgamesh's what if left alive?
4. Why does Enkidu not like living in the city?
5. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilgamesh's dreams.
2. Describe Ekidnu's character.
3. Discuss Enkidu's interpretations of Gilgamesh's dreams.
4. Describe the disappointment awaiting Gilgamesh when he finally meets Utnapishtim.
5. Why must Gilgamesh confront the demon as soon as they arrive at the cedar forest?
6. Compare and contrast Gilgamesh's insult to Ishtar with the one issued by Enkidu.
7. Who speaks the last lines of the Tablet?
8. Describe Gilgamesh's attitude towards the journey to the forest.
9. Describe what Enkidu sees in his dream of the underworld.
10. What effect do the missing lines of interpretation have on Gilgamesh's dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Enlil is said to be the god who appointed Humbaba protector of the cedar forest. In Tablet, 7 Enlil is the god who announces that Enkidu shall die for his part in the killing of Humbaba, the bull of heaven and cutting down the cedar forest. Knowing that Enlil wanted the forest protected why do you think he chooses Enkidu over Gilgamesh as the one to die? Do you think that Enkidu's previous knowledge of Humbaba and the forest plays a role in Enlil's decision? Does Enlil count Gilgamesh innocent because he did not originally know the story of Humbaba and the cedar forest?
Essay Topic 2
When Enkidu and Gilgamesh are preparing to leave to battle Humbaba, no one offers advice to Enkidu. Ninsun cautions Enkidu to look after her son and see him back safely. The elders and townspeople do not seem worried about Enkidu's welfare or chances of survival. How do you interpret this scene? Is Enkidu ignored because the people are confident in his ability? Or would counseling Enkidu detract from the importance of Gilgamesh's journey?
Essay Topic 3
Boasts and oaths before battle are common in epics. Gilgamesh offers such a boast before he battles Humbaba. Discuss the elements of the heroic boast. Why are such boasts performed? To what narrative technique are boasts similar?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)