|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dreams does Gilgamesh have on the journey to the forest?
2. With whom does Enkidu live?
3. Who does Gilgamesh's mother pray to for protection for her son?
4. Where does Gilgamesh pour out his fine-meal?
5. What is a talent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Enkidu's relationship with the shepherds.
2. Who does Gilgamesh command to mourn for Enkidu? How long does Gilgamesh mourn?
3. Describe the garden which greets Gilgamesh once he journeys through the darkness of the mountain pass.
4. Why are the gods responsible for creating a second man to be a counterpart to Gilgamesh?
5. What effect do the missing lines of interpretation have on Gilgamesh's dreams?
6. Describe the only available way to cross to Utnapishtim.
7. What does the flood and the salvation of one family represent?
8. Describe the city of Uruk.
9. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
10. Why is Enkidu able to admit his fears openly while Gilgamesh cannot?
Essay Topic 1
Gilgamesh has been on a great journey since he first met Enkidu. Enkidu is Gilgamesh's equal and the two have great adventures. However, Enkidu also represents the qualities that Gilgamesh lacks. Discuss Gilgamesh's journey to discover his own weaknesses and how he does or does not learn to accept them.
Essay Topic 2
Siduri tells Gilgamesh that the only way to cross the sea is with Utnapishtim's boatman. The sea that he must cross are waters of death. Death is what Gilgamesh is most afraid of. Discuss the significance of Gilgamesh desiring to cross the sea of death in order to find the way to immortality.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss fear as it is used in the story. Gilgamesh is afraid to admit when he is afraid but he cries after hearing the elders' description of Humbaba. Enkidu is not afraid to voice his concerns. Enkidu seems to understand that fear can be a positive attribute for a man. Is fear a positive attribute in a hero?
This section contains 2,291 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)