|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dreams does Gilgamesh have on the journey to the forest?
2. How do Gilgamesh and Enkidu establish their friendship?
3. At what time of night does Gilgamesh awaken Enkidu to tell him about his dream?
4. What is a talent?
5. Gilgamesh thinks he is entitled to do what with new brides?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Cedar Forest as Gilgamesh and Enkidu encounter it.
2. Discuss Enkidu's interpretations of Gilgamesh's dreams.
3. What effect do the missing lines of interpretation have on Gilgamesh's dreams?
4. Describe where the Gilgamesh tablets are found and who found them.
5. Why do the scorpion people finally agree to let Gilgamesh pass through the gates into the mountain paths?
6. What does Shamash say to Enkidu after Enkidu curses the courtesan?
7. Why is Enkidu able to admit his fears openly while Gilgamesh cannot?
8. Describe the only available way to cross to Utnapishtim.
9. What legend surrounds Gilgamesh's birth?
10. Describe the items Isthar promises Gilgamesh if he will become her husband.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilgamesh has been on a great journey since he first met Enkidu. Enkidu is Gilgamesh's equal and the two have great adventures. However, Enkidu also represents the qualities that Gilgamesh lacks. Discuss Gilgamesh's journey to discover his own weaknesses and how he does or does not learn to accept them.
Essay Topic 2
Tablet 3, Column 6, Line 229 notes that Gilgamesh cries after an unrecorded address by the elders. Why do you think the young hero cries at this point? Is he behaving like a pouty child who is being prevented from having his way? Or does Gilgamesh have a moment of realization where the weight of what he has vowed to accomplish hits him? Epic heroes cannot back out of boasts once they are issued so Gilgamesh must follow through with his stated intentions.
Essay Topic 3
When Gilgamesh identifies himself to Siduri, he lists the accomplishments of his life. He also lists these accomplishments when describing Enkidu. Discuss why these accomplishments are so important to Gilgamesh's life. Relate your discussion to class discussions throughout the book that focused on the importance of a man leaving some sort of legacy for himself and dying a valiant death.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)