Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the journey to the Cedar Forest take?
2. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
3. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
4. Who is Ninsun?
5. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilgamesh's journey through the mountain paths of Mashu.
2. Describe the weapons Gilgamesh and Enkidu arm themselves with to fight Humbaba.
3. Describe Enkidu's relationship with the shepherds.
4. How does Gilgamesh's decision to cut down all the trees of the cedar forest represent his continued rashness and inability to exercise moderation?
5. What legend surrounds Gilgamesh's birth?
6. Discuss why Enkidu is angered by news of the celebration in Uruk.
7. Describe the garden which greets Gilgamesh once he journeys through the darkness of the mountain pass.
8. Describe the fight between Enlil and Shamash over which man will die - Gilgamesh or Enkidu.
9. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
10. Describe the city of Uruk.
Essay Topic 1
Tablet 3, Column 6, Line 229 notes that Gilgamesh cries after an unrecorded address by the elders. Why do you think the young hero cries at this point? Is he behaving like a pouty child who is being prevented from having his way? Or does Gilgamesh have a moment of realization where the weight of what he has vowed to accomplish hits him? Epic heroes cannot back out of boasts once they are issued so Gilgamesh must follow through with his stated intentions.
Essay Topic 2
Many lines are missing throughout the story. Some are uninterpretable, while others have been destroyed by wear and tear or lost altogether. Discuss the impact missing lines have on the story. How do they affect understanding of events? How difficult is it for translators to piece together a complete story from different manuscripts each with missing lines?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in the Gilgamesh epic. The courtesan functions to lead Enkidu out of the woods and introduce him to civilization. This could be considered a good event or a bad event. Ishtar becomes enraged when Gilgamesh spurns her love. Ishtar does not easily let her anger go and calls down terrible curses on Gilgamesh and Enkidu.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)