Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the journey to the Cedar Forest take?
2. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
3. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
4. Who is Ninsun?
5. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilgamesh's journey through the mountain paths of Mashu.
2. Describe the weapons Gilgamesh and Enkidu arm themselves with to fight Humbaba.
3. Describe Enkidu's relationship with the shepherds.
4. How does Gilgamesh's decision to cut down all the trees of the cedar forest represent his continued rashness and inability to exercise moderation?
5. What legend surrounds Gilgamesh's birth?
6. Discuss why Enkidu is angered by news of the celebration in Uruk.
7. Describe the garden which greets Gilgamesh once he journeys through the darkness of the mountain pass.
8. Describe the fight between Enlil and Shamash over which man will die - Gilgamesh or Enkidu.
9. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
10. Describe the city of Uruk.
Discuss Tablet 5, Column 4, Line 6 which reads, "His tears [gushed forth] in streams." To whom does the line refer? Shamash was speaking in the lines just prior to this line. Gilgamesh is speaking in Line 7. There is no clear indication who is crying or why. Gilgamesh may be crying tears of joy because Humbaba has been defeated. Enkidu may be crying for no apparent reason. Humbaba, the demon, may even be crying because he has been defeated. Discuss the line and who you think could be the party responsible for crying.
Humbaba is not ready for battle when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive. As the defender of the forest it seems that the guardian should be ready to meet enemies at all times. Discuss the reasons Humbaba may not be ready for battle? Discuss also the implications of a demon guardian who must wear special armor in order to be invincible? Does the timing of Gilgamesh's arrival indicate a favorable outcome?
Discuss the similarities between Utnapishtim's flood story and the Biblical account of Noah and the flood. What is the symbolism of the flood? Why do you think at least one man is saved in each story?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)