|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the journey to the Cedar Forest take?
2. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
3. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
4. Who is Ninsun?
5. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilgamesh's journey through the mountain paths of Mashu.
2. Describe the weapons Gilgamesh and Enkidu arm themselves with to fight Humbaba.
3. Describe Enkidu's relationship with the shepherds.
4. How does Gilgamesh's decision to cut down all the trees of the cedar forest represent his continued rashness and inability to exercise moderation?
5. What legend surrounds Gilgamesh's birth?
6. Discuss why Enkidu is angered by news of the celebration in Uruk.
7. Describe the garden which greets Gilgamesh once he journeys through the darkness of the mountain pass.
8. Describe the fight between Enlil and Shamash over which man will die - Gilgamesh or Enkidu.
9. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
10. Describe the city of Uruk.
Essay Topic 1
After the snake has stolen Gilgamesh's plant, the hero sits contemplating all that has befallen him. He wonders who he has done everything for and realizes that in the end all his rash actions have not gotten him anywhere. Gilgamesh returns to Uruk and stands on the wall overlooking his city. How do you think Gilgamesh views his city after his long journey? At the beginning of the story he viewed Uruk and the citizens as his personal playground and slaves. Do you think Gilgamesh has a new appreciation for the people and the beauty of Uruk?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in the Gilgamesh epic. The courtesan functions to lead Enkidu out of the woods and introduce him to civilization. This could be considered a good event or a bad event. Ishtar becomes enraged when Gilgamesh spurns her love. Ishtar does not easily let her anger go and calls down terrible curses on Gilgamesh and Enkidu.
Essay Topic 3
When Gilgamesh identifies himself to Siduri, he lists the accomplishments of his life. He also lists these accomplishments when describing Enkidu. Discuss why these accomplishments are so important to Gilgamesh's life. Relate your discussion to class discussions throughout the book that focused on the importance of a man leaving some sort of legacy for himself and dying a valiant death.
This section contains 2,312 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)