|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gilgamesh's mother pray to for protection for her son?
2. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
3. Who do the elders send to protect Gilgamesh?
4. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
5. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Gilgamesh command to mourn for Enkidu? How long does Gilgamesh mourn?
2. Discuss the procession that sees Gilgamesh off on his adventure.
3. What does Shamash say to Enkidu after Enkidu curses the courtesan?
4. Why are the gods responsible for creating a second man to be a counterpart to Gilgamesh?
5. Why is Enkidu able to admit his fears openly while Gilgamesh cannot?
6. Describe Enkidu's relationship with the shepherds.
7. Compare and contrast Gilgamesh's insult to Ishtar with the one issued by Enkidu.
8. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
9. Describe Gilgamesh's attitude towards the journey to the forest.
10. Describe the monument Gilgamesh has constructed in Enkidu's honor. What precious stones are used? Why are these stones chosen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities between Utnapishtim's flood story and the Biblical account of Noah and the flood. What is the symbolism of the flood? Why do you think at least one man is saved in each story?
Essay Topic 2
Siduri tells Gilgamesh that the only way to cross the sea is with Utnapishtim's boatman. The sea that he must cross are waters of death. Death is what Gilgamesh is most afraid of. Discuss the significance of Gilgamesh desiring to cross the sea of death in order to find the way to immortality.
Essay Topic 3
Humbaba is not ready for battle when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive. As the defender of the forest it seems that the guardian should be ready to meet enemies at all times. Discuss the reasons Humbaba may not be ready for battle? Discuss also the implications of a demon guardian who must wear special armor in order to be invincible? Does the timing of Gilgamesh's arrival indicate a favorable outcome?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)