|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
(a) Who his parents are
(b) His own name
(c) Where he was born
(d) The courtesan's name
2. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
(a) Blow him into the sea
(b) Blow him to the underworld
(c) Blow down the trees on top of him
(d) Immobilize him
3. What is stilled into silence when the men behold the forest?
(a) Their voices
(b) Humbaba's words
(c) The sound of the gods
(d) The wind
4. What two things does Enkidu do that make him like a man?
(a) Kills a lion and drinks strong wine
(b) Annoints his body with oil and puts on his garment
(c) Eats bread and sleeps with the woman
(d) Cuts down the forest and kills the wolves
5. From where does Gilgamesh's mother say his companion will come?
(a) The gods
(b) The sky
(c) The wilderness
(d) The river
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city Gilgamesh builds?
2. What does Gilgamesh's mother tell him the two dreams mean?
3. What do the axe and meteorite signify in relationship to Enkidu?
4. How does Gilgamesh say that Enkidu's paralysis will end?
5. What do the people of Uruk do with the axe in Gilgamesh's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Enkidu describe the gate to the cedar forest?
2. Enkidu is even more afraid when his hand becomes paralyzed after touching the forest gate. Describe the speech Gilgamesh makes to his friend to encourage him.
3. What does the barmaid tell Gilgamesh and what do her words foreshadow?
4. Describe the fight between Enlil and Shamash over which man will die - Gilgamesh or Enkidu.
5. Describe Gilgamesh's attitude towards the journey to the forest.
6. Describe Gilgamesh's lamentations for Enkidu.
7. Describe the encounter Gilgamesh has in which the snake steals the plant of youth.
8. Describe what Enkidu sees in his dream of the underworld.
9. When Utnapishtim wakes Gilgamesh after seven days what does he tell him to do? Where does Urshanabi take Gilgamesh?
10. What legend surrounds Gilgamesh's birth?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)