|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another phrase for sleep?
(a) The outpouring of the night
(b) The long goodbye
(c) The time of the gods
(d) The long kiss goodnight
2. What is a recension?
(a) A period of extreme famine
(b) A time of economic depression
(c) A revision of a text
(d) A time when water recedes after a flood
3. To whom do the people of Uruk pray?
4. How do Gilgamesh and Enkidu establish their friendship?
(a) By announcing their pact in formal court
(b) By drinking each other's blood
(c) With a handshake
(d) With a kiss
5. Who do the elders counsel Gilgamesh to let lead the way?
(b) The animals
(c) The shepherds
(d) The gods
Short Answer Questions
1. Line 42 at the end of Tablet 4 is called what kind of line?
2. How does Gilgamesh know something is wrong with Enkidu?
3. What two things does Enkidu do that make him like a man?
4. Why does Enkidu not like living in the city?
5. How many dreams does Gilgamesh have on the journey to the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Gilgamesh command to mourn for Enkidu? How long does Gilgamesh mourn?
2. What legend surrounds Gilgamesh's birth?
3. Why are the gods responsible for creating a second man to be a counterpart to Gilgamesh?
4. Describe the Cedar Forest as Gilgamesh and Enkidu encounter it.
5. How does Gilgamesh's decision to cut down all the trees of the cedar forest represent his continued rashness and inability to exercise moderation?
6. Why does Enkidu not like living in the city?
7. Describe the fight between Enlil and Shamash over which man will die - Gilgamesh or Enkidu.
8. Compare and contrast Gilgamesh's insult to Ishtar with the one issued by Enkidu.
9. Enkidu is even more afraid when his hand becomes paralyzed after touching the forest gate. Describe the speech Gilgamesh makes to his friend to encourage him.
10. What does the barmaid tell Gilgamesh and what do her words foreshadow?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)