|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gilgamesh say that Enkidu's paralysis will end?
(a) If they go into the forest together
(b) By bathing in the Euphrates river
(c) By sacrificing to Shamash
(d) By killing Humbaba
2. The elders tell Gilgamesh that he is young and __________ has carried him away in proposing to battle Humbaba.
(a) His fear
(b) Enkidu's friendship
(c) His heart
(d) His pride
3. By what phrase does Enkidu refer to Ninsun?
(a) Mighty princess
(b) Wild cow
(c) goddess of the sky
(d) Queen of men
4. What other people try to discourage Gilgamesh from undertaking his voyage to engage Humbaba?
(a) His mother
(b) The shepherds
(c) The woman
(d) The elders of Uruk
5. Who interprets Gilgamesh's dreams?
(c) The shepherds
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilgamesh's dreams are a realization of his personal what?
2. What is stilled into silence when the men behold the forest?
3. Who pulls Gilgamesh from under the toppled mountain in his dream?
4. How many layers of armor has Humbaba put on when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive at the gate to the forest?
5. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Enkidu sees in his dream of the underworld.
2. Describe the bull of heaven.
3. What does the barmaid tell Gilgamesh and what do her words foreshadow?
4. Discuss why Enkidu is angered by news of the celebration in Uruk.
5. Describe Gilgamesh's answer to Siduri about why his appearance is so rough.
6. Why do the scorpion people finally agree to let Gilgamesh pass through the gates into the mountain paths?
7. What does Enkidu already know about death because of his upbringing in the wilderness?
8. Describe where the Gilgamesh tablets are found and who found them.
9. Describe the only available way to cross to Utnapishtim.
10. How does Gilgamesh's decision to cut down all the trees of the cedar forest represent his continued rashness and inability to exercise moderation?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)