|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what phrase does Enkidu refer to Ninsun?
(a) goddess of the sky
(b) Wild cow
(c) Queen of men
(d) Mighty princess
2. From where does Gilgamesh's mother say his companion will come?
(a) The gods
(b) The sky
(c) The wilderness
(d) The river
3. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
4. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
(a) Half of her own garment
(b) Leaves from the forest
(c) The skins of animals
(d) One of the shepherds cloaks
5. What happens to Enkidu's hand when he tries to open the gate?
(a) It turns to stone
(b) It is paralyzed
(c) It falls off
(d) It is badly burned
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Enkidu live?
2. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
3. Who pulls Gilgamesh from under the toppled mountain in his dream?
4. What does Gilgamesh's mother tell him the two dreams mean?
5. Who do the elders send to protect Gilgamesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the monument Gilgamesh has constructed in Enkidu's honor. What precious stones are used? Why are these stones chosen?
2. Describe the weapons Gilgamesh and Enkidu arm themselves with to fight Humbaba.
3. Describe the items Isthar promises Gilgamesh if he will become her husband.
4. How does Gilgamesh's decision to cut down all the trees of the cedar forest represent his continued rashness and inability to exercise moderation?
5. Describe Enkidu and Gilgamesh's relationship.
6. Describe the garden which greets Gilgamesh once he journeys through the darkness of the mountain pass.
7. Compare and contrast Gilgamesh's insult to Ishtar with the one issued by Enkidu.
8. Describe where the Gilgamesh tablets are found and who found them.
9. Describe the bull of heaven.
10. When Enkidu tells Gilgamesh about Humbaba the demon is he trying to warn Gilgamesh? Why does Gilgamesh not listen?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)