|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
(a) 50 miles
(b) 100 miles
(c) As far as another man would walk in a month
(d) 15 miles
2. How does Gilgamesh know something is wrong with Enkidu?
(a) Enkidu tells Shamash
(b) Gilgamesh sees Enkidu pounding a wall
(c) Ninsun has a dream about Enkidu
(d) Enkidu cries
3. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
(a) The skins of animals
(b) One of the shepherds cloaks
(c) Half of her own garment
(d) Leaves from the forest
4. Line 42 at the end of Tablet 4 is called what kind of line?
(a) A imaginary line
(b) A final-line
(c) A culminating line
(d) A catch-line
5. What two things does Enkidu do that make him like a man?
(a) Annoints his body with oil and puts on his garment
(b) Cuts down the forest and kills the wolves
(c) Eats bread and sleeps with the woman
(d) Kills a lion and drinks strong wine
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gilgamesh say that Enkidu's paralysis will end?
2. Why do the gods create Enkidu?
3. What happens to Enkidu's hand when he tries to open the gate?
4. How does Enkidu react to Gilgamesh's dreams?
5. What happens when Gilgamesh and Enkidu fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Enkidu sees in his dream of the underworld.
2. Describe the battle between Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
3. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
4. Describe Enkidu's relationship with the shepherds.
5. Discuss the procession that sees Gilgamesh off on his adventure.
6. Describe the encounter Gilgamesh has in which the snake steals the plant of youth.
7. Why do the people of Uruk celebrate the axe in Gilgamesh's dream?
8. Describe Gilgamesh's attitude towards the journey to the forest.
9. Discuss how Gilgamesh's desire to seek out Utnapishtim at all costs creates an immortal legend for the hero.
10. What does Enkidu already know about death because of his upbringing in the wilderness?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)