|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a recension?
(a) A period of extreme famine
(b) A revision of a text
(c) A time when water recedes after a flood
(d) A time of economic depression
2. What happens to Enkidu's hand when he tries to open the gate?
(a) It is badly burned
(b) It turns to stone
(c) It falls off
(d) It is paralyzed
3. How many layers of armor has Humbaba put on when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive at the gate to the forest?
4. Who reminds Gilgamesh of his boast in Uruk?
5. What does Humbaba do to make Gilgamesh afraid?
(a) Changes his face
(b) Strikes him with a sword
(c) Spews fire
Short Answer Questions
1. What other people try to discourage Gilgamesh from undertaking his voyage to engage Humbaba?
2. How many days would it take a mortal man to travel as far as Gilgamesh and Enkidu cover in fifty double hours?
3. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
4. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
5. What two things does Enkidu do that make him like a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Enkidu tells Gilgamesh about Humbaba the demon is he trying to warn Gilgamesh? Why does Gilgamesh not listen?
2. Discuss the procession that sees Gilgamesh off on his adventure.
3. Why are the gods responsible for creating a second man to be a counterpart to Gilgamesh?
4. What does the barmaid tell Gilgamesh and what do her words foreshadow?
5. Describe the only available way to cross to Utnapishtim.
6. Discuss Enkidu's interpretations of Gilgamesh's dreams.
7. Discuss why Enkidu is angered by news of the celebration in Uruk.
8. Describe Gilgamesh's character.
9. Why do the people of Uruk celebrate the axe in Gilgamesh's dream?
10. Describe the bull of heaven.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)