|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
(a) Who his parents are
(b) Where he was born
(c) The courtesan's name
(d) His own name
2. Gilgamesh asks Shamash to give Enkidu what?
(a) A kingdom of his own
(b) A dream
(c) Victory over Humbaba
(d) A wife
3. How does Gilgamesh know something is wrong with Enkidu?
(a) Gilgamesh sees Enkidu pounding a wall
(b) Enkidu cries
(c) Enkidu tells Shamash
(d) Ninsun has a dream about Enkidu
4. What is a recension?
(a) A time of economic depression
(b) A time when water recedes after a flood
(c) A revision of a text
(d) A period of extreme famine
5. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gilgamesh's mother pray to for protection for her son?
2. Who do the elders send to protect Gilgamesh?
3. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
4. What happens when Gilgamesh and Enkidu fight?
5. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who speaks the last lines of the Tablet?
2. Describe Gilgamesh's answer to Siduri about why his appearance is so rough.
3. Discuss why Gilgamesh has such a difficult time dealing with Enkidu's death.
4. Describe the encounter Gilgamesh has in which the snake steals the plant of youth.
5. What does Ninsun wear to pray to Shamash? Why does she dress this way?
6. Why is it significant that Gilgamesh cannot stay awake to pass the test Utnapishtim sets before him?
7. What does Enkidu already know about death because of his upbringing in the wilderness?
8. Describe the Cedar Forest as Gilgamesh and Enkidu encounter it.
9. Compare and contrast Gilgamesh's insult to Ishtar with the one issued by Enkidu.
10. What legend surrounds Gilgamesh's birth?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)