|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
2. With whom does Enkidu live?
(a) A group of shepherds
(b) The woman
(c) The gods
(d) A pack of wolves
3. Why do the gods create Enkidu?
(a) To spend time with the woman
(b) To balance Gilgamesh's weaknesses
(c) To kill Gilgamesh
(d) To rule Uruk
4. What does Enkidu do with the animals he finds in the woods?
(a) Frees them from traps
(b) Kills them for the fur
(c) Captures them to sell in the city
(d) Teaches them to attack Gilgamesh
5. What does Gilgamesh want to do in the Cedar Forest?
(a) Learn to live with the animals like Enkidu
(b) Cut down all the trees
(c) Go hunting
(d) To meet the shepherds
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk in one day?
2. Who helps Enkidu and Gilgamesh defeat Humbaba?
3. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
4. What is stilled into silence when the men behold the forest?
5. Gilgamesh is ____________, while Enkidu is _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the gods responsible for creating a second man to be a counterpart to Gilgamesh?
2. Describe the city of Uruk.
3. Describe Gilgamesh's journey through the mountain paths of Mashu.
4. How does Gilgamesh's decision to journey to Utnapishtim provide evidence that he still has not matured and continues to act rashly?
5. Describe the fight between Enlil and Shamash over which man will die - Gilgamesh or Enkidu.
6. Who does Gilgamesh decide to find and why does he wish to talk to this person/thing?
7. Enkidu is even more afraid when his hand becomes paralyzed after touching the forest gate. Describe the speech Gilgamesh makes to his friend to encourage him.
8. Discuss how Gilgamesh's desire to seek out Utnapishtim at all costs creates an immortal legend for the hero.
9. Why is it significant that Gilgamesh cannot stay awake to pass the test Utnapishtim sets before him?
10. What does Enkidu already know about death because of his upbringing in the wilderness?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)