|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk in one day?
(a) Fifty double hours
(b) thirty double hours
(c) twenty-five double hours
(d) twenty double hours
2. What does Enkidu tell Gilgamesh is guarding the Cedar Forest?
(a) A great angel with a sword
(b) The shepherds watch over the forest
(c) A demon named Humbaba
(d) A pack of angry wolves
3. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
(a) 15 miles
(b) 50 miles
(c) 100 miles
(d) As far as another man would walk in a month
4. Who is Ninsun?
(a) Gilgamesh's wife
(b) Enkidu's mother
(c) Gilgamesh's mother
(d) Enkidu's wife
5. What happens to Enkidu's hand when he tries to open the gate?
(a) It turns to stone
(b) It is paralyzed
(c) It falls off
(d) It is badly burned
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilgamesh is ____________, while Enkidu is _____________.
2. What is the woman called who seduces Enkidu?
3. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
4. Why does Enkidu go to a celebration in Uruk?
5. By what phrase does Enkidu refer to Ninsun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why Gilgamesh has such a difficult time dealing with Enkidu's death.
2. Describe the weapons Gilgamesh and Enkidu arm themselves with to fight Humbaba.
3. When Enkidu tells Gilgamesh about Humbaba the demon is he trying to warn Gilgamesh? Why does Gilgamesh not listen?
4. Describe the items Isthar promises Gilgamesh if he will become her husband.
5. Compare and contrast Gilgamesh's insult to Ishtar with the one issued by Enkidu.
6. Describe Gilgamesh's character.
7. What does the flood and the salvation of one family represent?
8. Describe the battle between Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
9. Discuss the procession that sees Gilgamesh off on his adventure.
10. Why must Gilgamesh confront the demon as soon as they arrive at the cedar forest?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)