|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a talent?
(a) A unit of measure equalling about sixty pounds
(b) A type of sword
(c) An ability a person has to perform well
(d) A unit for measuring length
2. What is the name of the city Gilgamesh builds?
3. Who reminds Gilgamesh of his boast in Uruk?
4. How does Enkidu feel about the journey into the forest?
(a) He is excited to get out of Uruk.
(b) He plans to kill Humbaba himself.
(c) He hopes to see the shepherds again.
(d) He is worried about the quest.
5. What does Enkidu have knowledge of after being with the woman?
(c) The world
(d) Good and Evil
Short Answer Questions
1. The tale of Gilgamesh is carved on what type of stone?
2. How many days would it take a mortal man to travel as far as Gilgamesh and Enkidu cover in fifty double hours?
3. Who appointed Humbaba protector of the forest?
4. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
5. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Enkidu is even more afraid when his hand becomes paralyzed after touching the forest gate. Describe the speech Gilgamesh makes to his friend to encourage him.
2. Describe the monument Gilgamesh has constructed in Enkidu's honor. What precious stones are used? Why are these stones chosen?
3. What legend surrounds Gilgamesh's birth?
4. How does Enkidu describe the gate to the cedar forest?
5. Describe the garden which greets Gilgamesh once he journeys through the darkness of the mountain pass.
6. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
7. Discuss Enkidu's interpretations of Gilgamesh's dreams.
8. When Utnapishtim wakes Gilgamesh after seven days what does he tell him to do? Where does Urshanabi take Gilgamesh?
9. Discuss how Gilgamesh's desire to seek out Utnapishtim at all costs creates an immortal legend for the hero.
10. Describe the only available way to cross to Utnapishtim.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)