|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gilgamesh's mother pray to for protection for her son?
(a) The god of the forest
(c) The sun god
2. Who does Gilgamesh ask to bring him a dream? Or another reference for Shamash?
3. Gilgamesh thinks he is entitled to do what with new brides?
(a) Keep them as slaves
(b) Toast at their wedding
(c) Spend the night with them
(d) Kiss them before the groom does
4. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
(a) Temple University
(b) University of Philadelphia
(c) University of Pennsylvania
(d) Penn State University
5. What type of drink is Enkidu used to drinking?
(a) Cow's milk
(b) The milk of wild animals
(c) Water from a stream
(d) The wine drunk in the city
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Enkidu's hand when he tries to open the gate?
2. How does Gilgamesh know something is wrong with Enkidu?
3. What is a recension?
4. Where does Gilgamesh pour out his fine-meal?
5. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the gods responsible for creating a second man to be a counterpart to Gilgamesh?
2. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
3. How does Gilgamesh's decision to cut down all the trees of the cedar forest represent his continued rashness and inability to exercise moderation?
4. Describe the monument Gilgamesh has constructed in Enkidu's honor. What precious stones are used? Why are these stones chosen?
5. Why is it significant that Gilgamesh cannot stay awake to pass the test Utnapishtim sets before him?
6. What two things does Gilgamesh dream about and what does his mother say they mean?
7. Describe where the Gilgamesh tablets are found and who found them.
8. Describe the encounter Gilgamesh has in which the snake steals the plant of youth.
9. Describe Gilgamesh's lamentations for Enkidu.
10. Who does Gilgamesh decide to find and why does he wish to talk to this person/thing?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)