|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gilgamesh's dreams are a realization of his personal what?
(b) curse put on him by the woman
(c) Hopes for the future
(d) knowledge given by the gods
2. What is a recension?
(a) A time of economic depression
(b) A time when water recedes after a flood
(c) A period of extreme famine
(d) A revision of a text
3. Who is Ninsun?
(a) Enkidu's wife
(b) Enkidu's mother
(c) Gilgamesh's mother
(d) Gilgamesh's wife
4. What does Enkidu have knowledge of after being with the woman?
(a) Good and Evil
(c) The world
5. What is another phrase for sleep?
(a) The outpouring of the night
(b) The long kiss goodnight
(c) The time of the gods
(d) The long goodbye
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Enkidu go to a celebration in Uruk?
2. Who do the elders counsel Gilgamesh to let lead the way?
3. Who does Gilgamesh ask to bring him a dream? Or another reference for Shamash?
4. How long are Enkidu and the woman together?
5. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Cedar Forest as Gilgamesh and Enkidu encounter it.
2. Why do the scorpion people finally agree to let Gilgamesh pass through the gates into the mountain paths?
3. Describe the disappointment awaiting Gilgamesh when he finally meets Utnapishtim.
4. Describe Gilgamesh's lamentations for Enkidu.
5. Describe the encounter Gilgamesh has in which the snake steals the plant of youth.
6. Describe the city of Uruk.
7. When Utnapishtim wakes Gilgamesh after seven days what does he tell him to do? Where does Urshanabi take Gilgamesh?
8. What two things does Gilgamesh dream about and what does his mother say they mean?
9. Why do the people of Uruk celebrate the axe in Gilgamesh's dream?
10. Why is Urshanabi prevented from immediately conducting Gilgamesh across the sea?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)