|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
(a) Death and thunder
(b) Fire and death
(c) A cave and hell
(d) Fire and Lightening
2. Where does Gilgamesh pour out his fine-meal?
(a) On the mountain
(b) In the plain
(c) In the fire
(d) At the temple
3. The elders tell Gilgamesh that he is young and __________ has carried him away in proposing to battle Humbaba.
(a) His heart
(b) Enkidu's friendship
(c) His fear
(d) His pride
4. What is another phrase for sleep?
(a) The time of the gods
(b) The outpouring of the night
(c) The long goodbye
(d) The long kiss goodnight
5. What do the people of Uruk say about Enkidu when they first see him?
(a) He stronger than Gilgamesh.
(b) He is very hairy.
(c) He is taller than Gilgamesh.
(d) He is shorter than Gilgamesh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
2. What does Enkidu have knowledge of after being with the woman?
3. What is a recension?
4. Who does Gilgamesh ask to bring him a dream? Or another reference for Shamash?
5. How many layers of armor has Humbaba put on when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive at the gate to the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Enkidu is even more afraid when his hand becomes paralyzed after touching the forest gate. Describe the speech Gilgamesh makes to his friend to encourage him.
2. Why do the scorpion people finally agree to let Gilgamesh pass through the gates into the mountain paths?
3. Discuss why Enkidu is angered by news of the celebration in Uruk.
4. Describe Gilgamesh's attitude towards the journey to the forest.
5. Describe the city of Uruk.
6. When Utnapishtim wakes Gilgamesh after seven days what does he tell him to do? Where does Urshanabi take Gilgamesh?
7. Discuss how Gilgamesh's desire to seek out Utnapishtim at all costs creates an immortal legend for the hero.
8. Describe the disappointment awaiting Gilgamesh when he finally meets Utnapishtim.
9. What does Ninsun wear to pray to Shamash? Why does she dress this way?
10. Describe the battle between Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)