|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
2. What happens when Gilgamesh and Enkidu fight?
(a) Enkdiu takes the new bride for himself.
(b) They become friends because they are equals.
(c) Gilgamesh kills Enkidu.
(d) Enkidu kills Gilgamesh.
3. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
4. Gilgamesh is ____________, while Enkidu is _____________.
(a) A man, A woman
(b) rash, humble
(c) humble, rash
(d) young, old
5. At what time of night does Gilgamesh awaken Enkidu to tell him about his dream?
(a) 3 AM
(b) 2 AM
(c) 1 AM
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Enkidu go to a celebration in Uruk?
2. Line 42 at the end of Tablet 4 is called what kind of line?
3. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
4. Who pulls Gilgamesh from under the toppled mountain in his dream?
5. What things do the shepherds teach Enkidu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the flood and the salvation of one family represent?
2. Discuss why Enkidu is angered by news of the celebration in Uruk.
3. When Utnapishtim wakes Gilgamesh after seven days what does he tell him to do? Where does Urshanabi take Gilgamesh?
4. Describe Gilgamesh's actions following the beheading of Humbaba.
5. Why do the people of Uruk celebrate the axe in Gilgamesh's dream?
6. Compare and contrast Gilgamesh's insult to Ishtar with the one issued by Enkidu.
7. Describe the monument Gilgamesh has constructed in Enkidu's honor. What precious stones are used? Why are these stones chosen?
8. Describe the fight between Enlil and Shamash over which man will die - Gilgamesh or Enkidu.
9. Why is Enkidu able to admit his fears openly while Gilgamesh cannot?
10. Describe Enkidu and Gilgamesh's relationship.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)