|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal did Enkidu chase on the steppe?
(a) A wolf
(b) A bear
(c) A fox
(d) A panther
2. What does Gilgamesh do when he arrives on Utnapishtim's shore?
(a) Thanks the ferry man
(b) Ungirds his loins and takes off his clothes
(c) Pours out his wine in sacrifice
(d) Constructs a statue
3. What does Gilgamesh see when he steps into the light?
(a) A beautiful garden
(b) The underworld
(d) The top of the mountain
4. When does Gilgamesh begin mourning for Enkidu?
(a) At midnight
(b) At morning's first glimmer
(c) At noon
(d) At sunset
5. When Enkidu curses the trapper, he wishes that his game will do what?
(a) Escape him
(b) Eat his family
(c) Kill him
(d) Turn against him
6. Where does Enkidu go in his dream?
(a) To the Cedar Forest
(b) To live with the gods
(c) To the house of Irkalla
(d) Back to the Shepherds
7. What is the name of the gardener with whom Ishtar falls in love?
8. Who did Gilgamesh get to kiss Enkidu's feet?
(a) The princes of the earth
(d) The gods
9. How will Gilgamesh dress after Enkidu's burial?
(a) In Enkidu's old clothes
(b) He will grow long hair and wear a lion skin
(c) In leaves and twigs
(d) In new garments
10. Which four gods argue over Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
(a) Ea, Anu, Enlil and Shamash
(b) Shamash, Anu, Eamon, Ninsun
(c) Ishtar, Anu, Anil, Shamash
(d) Ea, Shamash, Enlil, Ninsun
11. To whom does Gilgamesh tell Enkidu's dream?
(b) The shepherds
12. What did Gilgamesh think would bring Enkidu back to life?
(a) A sacrifice to the gods
(b) A journey to Utnapishtim
(c) His lamenting
(d) The great statue
13. Who notices Gilgamesh's beauty after he has cleaned himself?
14. What happens to Enkidu after the gods fight?
(a) Ishtar murders him.
(b) He is killed by wolves.
(c) He falls ill.
(d) Gilgamesh kills him.
15. What did Ishtar turn the shepherd into?
(b) A sheep
(c) A Wolf
(d) A tree
Short Answer Questions
1. Which god does not want either man to die?
2. What does the old man tell Gilgamesh when he reaches the opposite shore?
3. Why does Gilgamesh say his appearance is so ragged?
4. What do Gilgamesh and Enkidu do after killing the bull of heaven?
5. Ishtar asks her father to give her ______________.
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)