|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Urshanabi?
(a) The goddess of the sea
(b) Utnapishtim's ferryman
(c) Shamash's ferryman
(d) A demon Gilgamesh must kill
2. Who is Sin?
(a) The god of the river
(b) The god of the sea
(c) The moon god
(d) The sun goddess
3. What does Enkidu do after talking with Shamash?
(a) Curses Shamash
(b) Changes the courtesan's curse into a blessing
4. What does Ishtar say Gilgamesh's goats shall bear?
(a) Horns of gold
(d) Many offspring
5. What does Enkidu throw at Ishtar?
(a) The bull's horns
(b) A spear
(c) The bull's heart
(d) The bull's right thigh
6. What word does Gilgamesh use to refer to Enkidu's death in line 13 of Column 2?
7. Irkalla is the queen of what?
(a) The sea
(b) The heavens
(c) The forest
(d) The underworld
8. What other name does Enkidu call the courtesan?
(a) A prostitute
(c) A queen
9. Why does Gilgamesh say his appearance is so ragged?
(a) Because he has traveled far
(b) Because he lost his old clothes
(c) Because he has no way to clean himself
(d) Because he is mourning Enkidu
10. What are the names of the two kings Enkidu identifies in the underworld?
(a) Ninsun and Sumuqan
(b) Sumuqan and Thorazi
(c) Etana and Sumuqan
(d) Etana and Enlil
11. What does Ishtar turn the gardener into?
(a) A tree
(b) A thorn brush
(c) A mole
(d) A rose bush
12. Who is Utnapishtim?
(a) The god of the underworld
(b) The god of the moon
(c) The goddess of the sea
(d) The Babylonian Noah
13. What does Gilgamesh put over Enkidu when he is dead?
(a) Fir branches
(b) A wolf pelt
(c) A royal cloak
(d) A veil like a bride
14. Gilgamesh raises his voice like what animal crying for her young?
(a) A bird
(b) A lioness
(c) A bear
(d) A wolf
15. Where is Gilgamesh speedily going?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is made for Siduri?
2. How does Gilgamesh cry?
3. In what river do the two men wash their hands?
4. What does the bull of heaven do on his third snort?
5. Shamash does not understand Enkidu's curse against who/what?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)