|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irkalla is the queen of what?
(a) The forest
(b) The sea
(c) The underworld
(d) The heavens
2. What other name does Enkidu call the courtesan?
(a) A prostitute
(d) A queen
3. Who is Urshanabi?
(a) Utnapishtim's ferryman
(b) Shamash's ferryman
(c) The goddess of the sea
(d) A demon Gilgamesh must kill
4. What does Enkidu do after talking with Shamash?
(a) Changes the courtesan's curse into a blessing
(c) Curses Shamash
5. Gilgamesh refers to Enkidu as his friend and what?
(a) Younger brother
6. What does Gilgamesh do when he arrives on Utnapishtim's shore?
(a) Pours out his wine in sacrifice
(b) Ungirds his loins and takes off his clothes
(c) Constructs a statue
(d) Thanks the ferry man
7. Where is Gilgamesh speedily going?
8. In what river do the two men wash their hands?
9. What does Gilgamesh put over Enkidu when he is dead?
(a) Fir branches
(b) A veil like a bride
(c) A wolf pelt
(d) A royal cloak
10. What happens to Enkidu after the gods fight?
(a) He falls ill.
(b) He is killed by wolves.
(c) Ishtar murders him.
(d) Gilgamesh kills him.
11. How does Gilgamesh check to see if Enkidu is still alive?
(a) Looks in his eyes
(b) Touches his heart
(c) Feels for breath
(d) Checks his temperature
12. What is the name of the barmaid who dwells by the sea?
13. Ishtar asks her father to give her ______________.
(a) An army
(b) The key to the underworld
(c) Humbaba's soul
(d) The bull of heaven
14. What does Enkidu wish he had done to the gate of the Cedar Forest?
(a) Broke it down
(b) Burned it down
(c) Never touched it
(d) Chopped it to pieces
15. What does the bull of heaven do on his third snort?
(a) Kill five hundred men
(b) Attack Gilgamesh
(c) Attack Enkidu
(d) Kill Ishtar
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mountain to where Gilgamesh travels?
2. Who did Gilgamesh get to kiss Enkidu's feet?
3. What is Enkidu transformed into in order to journey to the underworld?
4. How will Gilgamesh dress after Enkidu's burial?
5. What does Enkidu throw at Ishtar?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)