|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the barmaid who dwells by the sea?
2. Which four gods argue over Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
(a) Ea, Shamash, Enlil, Ninsun
(b) Ea, Anu, Enlil and Shamash
(c) Shamash, Anu, Eamon, Ninsun
(d) Ishtar, Anu, Anil, Shamash
3. Including animals, how many lovers does Gilgamesh say that Ishtar has had?
4. Gilgamesh refers to Enkidu as his friend and what?
(a) Younger brother
5. In what river do the two men wash their hands?
6. Who is Urshanabi?
(a) The goddess of the sea
(b) Shamash's ferryman
(c) A demon Gilgamesh must kill
(d) Utnapishtim's ferryman
7. When Enkidu curses the trapper, he wishes that his game will do what?
(a) Escape him
(b) Eat his family
(c) Turn against him
(d) Kill him
8. Why does Gilgamesh say his appearance is so ragged?
(a) Because he is mourning Enkidu
(b) Because he lost his old clothes
(c) Because he has no way to clean himself
(d) Because he has traveled far
9. Gilgamesh is now afraid of what?
(a) The forest
(b) Wild animals
(c) The desert
10. How many double hours does Gilgamesh travel before finding light?
11. What does Gilgamesh have to do before they can start their journey?
(a) Perform a ritual sacrifice
(b) Pray to Shamash
(c) Give Urshanabi money
(d) Cut long poles from the forest
12. How does Gilgamesh cry?
(a) Like a dove
(b) Like soft rain cloud
(c) Like a wailing woman
(d) Like a thunder storm
13. How far down does the mountain reach?
(a) The top of the temple in Uruk
(b) The bottom of the sea
(c) Into the Underworld
(d) The otherside of the world
14. Why does Gilgamesh tell the scorpion man he has come to Mashu?
(a) To swim impossible seas
(b) To climb Mashu
(c) To seek his own death
(d) To speak of matters of life and death
15. What other name does Enkidu call the courtesan?
(a) A prostitute
(b) A queen
Short Answer Questions
1. Enlil decrees that which man shall die?
2. What does Enkidu wish he had done to the gate of the Cedar Forest?
3. Gilgamesh raises his voice like what animal crying for her young?
4. What does Ishtar turn the gardener into?
5. What is the chariot made of that Ishtar promises Gilgamesh?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)