|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what side did Gilgamesh give Enkidu a seat?
(a) Behind him
(b) The right
(c) The left
(d) In front of him
2. In what river do the two men wash their hands?
3. What does Enkidu throw at Ishtar?
(a) The bull's horns
(b) A spear
(c) The bull's heart
(d) The bull's right thigh
4. What does Gilgamesh do with the horns of the bull of heaven?
(a) Sacrifices them to Shamash
(b) Hangs them in the temple
(c) Hangs them above the door to his palace
(d) Hangs them in his throne room
5. Ishtar asks her father to give her ______________.
(a) An army
(b) Humbaba's soul
(c) The bull of heaven
(d) The key to the underworld
6. Who is Urshanabi?
(a) Shamash's ferryman
(b) Utnapishtim's ferryman
(c) The goddess of the sea
(d) A demon Gilgamesh must kill
7. What does Gilgamesh have to do before they can start their journey?
(a) Cut long poles from the forest
(b) Perform a ritual sacrifice
(c) Pray to Shamash
(d) Give Urshanabi money
8. What does Urshanabi say will happen if the waters touch a man?
(a) He will grow old.
(b) He will become very ill.
(c) He will die.
(d) He will sink to the bottom of the sea.
9. Who does Siduri say is the only person able to cross the sea to Utnapishtim?
(b) No one
(d) The other gods
10. What is made for Siduri?
(a) A golden mashing vat
(b) A golden garment
(c) A golden crown
(d) A golden statue
11. Shamash does not understand Enkidu's curse against who/what?
(a) The courtesan
(b) The trapper
(c) The gate
12. Which god does not want either man to die?
13. How does Gilgamesh finally know that Enkidu is dead?
(a) Enkidu's body begins to rot away.
(b) The animals come to eat the dead meat.
(c) Enkidu is dark and cannot hear Gilgamesh.
(d) The priests take Enkidu's body away.
14. Who notices Gilgamesh's beauty after he has cleaned himself?
15. What happens to Enkidu after the gods fight?
(a) He falls ill.
(b) Gilgamesh kills him.
(c) Ishtar murders him.
(d) He is killed by wolves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Gilgamesh live after Enkidu's burial?
2. Where is Gilgamesh speedily going?
3. How will Gilgamesh dress after Enkidu's burial?
4. Who is Utnapishtim?
5. What is the name of the gardener with whom Ishtar falls in love?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)