|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gilgamesh say his appearance is so ragged?
(a) Because he has no way to clean himself
(b) Because he is mourning Enkidu
(c) Because he lost his old clothes
(d) Because he has traveled far
2. What did Ishtar turn the shepherd into?
(a) A Wolf
(b) A tree
(c) A sheep
3. What are the names of the two kings Enkidu identifies in the underworld?
(a) Etana and Enlil
(b) Etana and Sumuqan
(c) Sumuqan and Thorazi
(d) Ninsun and Sumuqan
4. How does Gilgamesh check to see if Enkidu is still alive?
(a) Touches his heart
(b) Looks in his eyes
(c) Feels for breath
(d) Checks his temperature
5. Where does Enkidu go in his dream?
(a) Back to the Shepherds
(b) To the house of Irkalla
(c) To live with the gods
(d) To the Cedar Forest
6. When Gilgamesh spurns Ishtar, from whom does the goddess ask for help?
(c) Her parents, Anu and Antum
7. Enkidu curses three people/things as he lies dying. Who are they?
(a) Shamash, Ninsun, Ishtar
(b) The shepherds, Humbaba, the courtesan
(c) The gate, the trapper, the courtesan
(d) Gilgamesh, Ishtar, Ninsun
8. Who is Utnapishtim?
(a) The god of the underworld
(b) The god of the moon
(c) The Babylonian Noah
(d) The goddess of the sea
9. Who is Urshanabi?
(a) Utnapishtim's ferryman
(b) The goddess of the sea
(c) A demon Gilgamesh must kill
(d) Shamash's ferryman
10. How many double hours does Gilgamesh travel before finding light?
11. On what side did Gilgamesh give Enkidu a seat?
(a) The right
(b) The left
(c) Behind him
(d) In front of him
12. What other name does Enkidu call the courtesan?
(b) A queen
(d) A prostitute
13. Shamash does not understand Enkidu's curse against who/what?
(a) The gate
(b) The courtesan
(c) The trapper
14. How far down does the mountain reach?
(a) The otherside of the world
(b) The top of the temple in Uruk
(c) Into the Underworld
(d) The bottom of the sea
15. Where will Gilgamesh live after Enkidu's burial?
(a) He will live in the cedar forest.
(b) He will stay with the shepherds.
(c) He will roam the desert.
(d) He will live in the temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what river do the two men wash their hands?
2. To what does Gilgamesh compare Enkidu?
3. What presumably is written on the scribes tablet in the underworld?
4. What is the chariot made of that Ishtar promises Gilgamesh?
5. Gilgamesh calls Enkidu his friend and what?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)