|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are Enkidu and the woman together?
(a) One night
(b) A fortnight
(c) An hour
(d) A week
2. What is stilled into silence when the men behold the forest?
(a) Humbaba's words
(b) Their voices
(c) The wind
(d) The sound of the gods
3. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
(a) Where he was born
(b) Who his parents are
(c) His own name
(d) The courtesan's name
4. What is the name of the city Gilgamesh builds?
5. In Gilgamesh's second dream what does he see?
(a) A lion
(b) An axe
(c) A burning bush
(d) An angel
6. What does Gilgamesh do that awakens Humbaba?
(a) Shouts seven times
(b) Begins to cut down the cedars
(c) Blows a loud horn
(d) Bangs on the forest gate
7. Who is Ninsun?
(a) Gilgamesh's wife
(b) Gilgamesh's mother
(c) Enkidu's mother
(d) Enkidu's wife
8. What happens to those who go to the cedar forest?
(a) The gate burns them
(b) Humbaba eats them
(c) Weakness overtakes them
(d) They are turned to stone
9. The elders tell Gilgamesh that he is young and __________ has carried him away in proposing to battle Humbaba.
(a) His heart
(b) His fear
(c) His pride
(d) Enkidu's friendship
10. What is a talent?
(a) A unit of measure equalling about sixty pounds
(b) An ability a person has to perform well
(c) A type of sword
(d) A unit for measuring length
11. What things do the shepherds teach Enkidu?
(a) To eat, talk and behave as people in the city do
(b) To tend sheep
(c) To stalk and kill animals
(d) To fight like a soldier
12. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
(a) The skins of animals
(b) One of the shepherds cloaks
(c) Leaves from the forest
(d) Half of her own garment
13. Who pulls Gilgamesh from under the toppled mountain in his dream?
(a) A unique man
(b) A wolf
14. What falls to the earth in Gilgamesh's dream?
(a) The stars
(b) A child
(c) The sun
(d) A meteorite
15. Where is Enkidu raised?
(b) With the gods
(c) In a city full of Gilgamesh's enemies
(d) The wilderness
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to contemplate their course of action and interpret Gilgamesh's dreams?
2. How many layers of armor has Humbaba put on when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive at the gate to the forest?
3. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
4. What does Gilgamesh's mother tell him the two dreams mean?
5. How many winds come against Humbaba?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)