|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gilgamesh say that Enkidu's paralysis will end?
(a) By killing Humbaba
(b) By sacrificing to Shamash
(c) By bathing in the Euphrates river
(d) If they go into the forest together
2. Where is Enkidu raised?
(a) The wilderness
(c) With the gods
(d) In a city full of Gilgamesh's enemies
3. Gilgamesh asks Shamash to give Enkidu what?
(a) Victory over Humbaba
(b) A wife
(c) A dream
(d) A kingdom of his own
4. What does Gilgamesh do that awakens Humbaba?
(a) Bangs on the forest gate
(b) Shouts seven times
(c) Blows a loud horn
(d) Begins to cut down the cedars
5. Why does Enkidu not like living in the city?
(a) Because he does not have a house of his own
(b) Because he prefers sleeping outside
(c) Because he misses the shepherds
(d) Because he feels weak and idle
6. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
(a) University of Philadelphia
(b) Penn State University
(c) Temple University
(d) University of Pennsylvania
7. What does Gilgamesh do before Shamash each time they stop?
(a) Drinks wine
(b) Kneels to pray five times
(c) Offers a sacrifice
(d) Digs a well
8. What will supposedly make Enkidu lose his power?
(a) Being seduced by a woman
(b) Drinking wine
(c) Fighting a giant
(d) Having his hair cut
9. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
(a) Leaves from the forest
(b) Half of her own garment
(c) One of the shepherds cloaks
(d) The skins of animals
10. What type of drink is Enkidu used to drinking?
(a) Water from a stream
(b) Cow's milk
(c) The milk of wild animals
(d) The wine drunk in the city
11. How many winds come against Humbaba?
12. What is the name of the god to whom Ninsun prays?
13. By what phrase does Enkidu refer to Ninsun?
(a) goddess of the sky
(b) Queen of men
(c) Wild cow
(d) Mighty princess
14. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
15. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Enkidu have knowledge of after being with the woman?
2. Where does Gilgamesh see the ax in his dream?
3. Humbaba asks Gilgamesh to not do what to him?
4. Who is Ninsun?
5. To whom do the people of Uruk pray?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)