|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many dreams does Gilgamesh have on the journey to the forest?
(a) Three or Six
2. From where does Gilgamesh's mother say his companion will come?
(a) The sky
(b) The wilderness
(c) The gods
(d) The river
3. What falls to the earth in Gilgamesh's dream?
(a) A meteorite
(b) The sun
(c) The stars
(d) A child
4. What does Gilgamesh do before Shamash each time they stop?
(a) Kneels to pray five times
(b) Digs a well
(c) Offers a sacrifice
(d) Drinks wine
5. Who reminds Gilgamesh of his boast in Uruk?
6. What does Enkidu tell Gilgamesh is guarding the Cedar Forest?
(a) A great angel with a sword
(b) A demon named Humbaba
(c) A pack of angry wolves
(d) The shepherds watch over the forest
7. The elders tell Gilgamesh that he is young and __________ has carried him away in proposing to battle Humbaba.
(a) His pride
(b) His fear
(c) His heart
(d) Enkidu's friendship
8. Who do the elders counsel Gilgamesh to let lead the way?
(a) The gods
(c) The animals
(d) The shepherds
9. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
(a) Who his parents are
(b) His own name
(c) The courtesan's name
(d) Where he was born
10. Gilgamesh thinks he is entitled to do what with new brides?
(a) Toast at their wedding
(b) Keep them as slaves
(c) Spend the night with them
(d) Kiss them before the groom does
11. What does Gilgamesh do that awakens Humbaba?
(a) Shouts seven times
(b) Bangs on the forest gate
(c) Begins to cut down the cedars
(d) Blows a loud horn
12. What does Enkidu do with the animals he finds in the woods?
(a) Kills them for the fur
(b) Captures them to sell in the city
(c) Frees them from traps
(d) Teaches them to attack Gilgamesh
13. The tale of Gilgamesh is carved on what type of stone?
(c) Iron Ore
14. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
(a) Death and thunder
(b) A cave and hell
(c) Fire and Lightening
(d) Fire and death
15. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
(a) One of the shepherds cloaks
(b) Half of her own garment
(c) Leaves from the forest
(d) The skins of animals
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
2. What is the name of the god to whom Ninsun prays?
3. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
4. Who appointed Humbaba protector of the forest?
5. To whom do the people of Uruk pray?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)