|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another name for Humbaba?
(d) Watchman of the forest
2. How many goblets of strong drink does Enkidu drink after the courtesan teaches him to drink properly?
3. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to contemplate their course of action and interpret Gilgamesh's dreams?
(a) The forest
(b) The plain
(c) The river
(d) The temple
4. Gilgamesh is ____________, while Enkidu is _____________.
(a) humble, rash
(b) rash, humble
(c) A man, A woman
(d) young, old
5. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
(a) University of Philadelphia
(b) Penn State University
(c) Temple University
(d) University of Pennsylvania
6. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
(a) Where he was born
(b) The courtesan's name
(c) His own name
(d) Who his parents are
7. Gilgamesh thinks he is entitled to do what with new brides?
(a) Keep them as slaves
(b) Toast at their wedding
(c) Spend the night with them
(d) Kiss them before the groom does
8. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
(a) 100 miles
(b) 15 miles
(c) 50 miles
(d) As far as another man would walk in a month
9. What does Enkidu have knowledge of after being with the woman?
(a) Good and Evil
(d) The world
10. What two things does Enkidu do that make him like a man?
(a) Eats bread and sleeps with the woman
(b) Cuts down the forest and kills the wolves
(c) Annoints his body with oil and puts on his garment
(d) Kills a lion and drinks strong wine
11. Why does Enkidu not like living in the city?
(a) Because he misses the shepherds
(b) Because he does not have a house of his own
(c) Because he prefers sleeping outside
(d) Because he feels weak and idle
12. What happens to Enkidu's hand when he tries to open the gate?
(a) It turns to stone
(b) It falls off
(c) It is badly burned
(d) It is paralyzed
13. In Gilgamesh's second dream what does he see?
(a) A lion
(b) An axe
(c) An angel
(d) A burning bush
14. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
15. What does Gilgamesh do before Shamash each time they stop?
(a) Drinks wine
(b) Offers a sacrifice
(c) Digs a well
(d) Kneels to pray five times
Short Answer Questions
1. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
2. With whom does Enkidu live?
3. How does Gilgamesh know something is wrong with Enkidu?
4. Where does Gilgamesh vow to throw Humbaba's body?
5. What do the people of Uruk say about Enkidu when they first see him?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)