|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the gods create Enkidu?
(a) To rule Uruk
(b) To spend time with the woman
(c) To kill Gilgamesh
(d) To balance Gilgamesh's weaknesses
2. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
3. What things do the shepherds teach Enkidu?
(a) To eat, talk and behave as people in the city do
(b) To fight like a soldier
(c) To stalk and kill animals
(d) To tend sheep
4. How many goblets of strong drink does Enkidu drink after the courtesan teaches him to drink properly?
5. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to contemplate their course of action and interpret Gilgamesh's dreams?
(a) The plain
(b) The river
(c) The temple
(d) The forest
6. What do the axe and meteorite signify in relationship to Enkidu?
(a) They are elements of the relationship between Enkidu and Gilgamesh
(b) They are weapons Gilgamesh will use to destroy Uruk
(c) They predict how he will die
(d) They are weapons Enkidu will use to kill Gilgamesh
7. Who pulls Gilgamesh from under the toppled mountain in his dream?
(b) A unique man
(c) A wolf
8. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
(a) Death and thunder
(b) A cave and hell
(c) Fire and Lightening
(d) Fire and death
9. What is stilled into silence when the men behold the forest?
(a) The sound of the gods
(b) The wind
(c) Their voices
(d) Humbaba's words
10. Who helps Enkidu and Gilgamesh defeat Humbaba?
(a) The shepherds
(c) They do not defeat Humbaba.
(d) Animals in the forest
11. How far does Enkidu say the cedar forest extends?
(a) Ten thousand miles
(b) A thousand acres
(c) One hundred acres
(d) A distance of ten thousand double-hours
12. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu first meet?
(a) In the woods
(b) At the river
(c) At the marketplace
(d) In the temple
13. How do Gilgamesh and Enkidu establish their friendship?
(a) With a kiss
(b) By drinking each other's blood
(c) By announcing their pact in formal court
(d) With a handshake
14. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
(a) Penn State University
(b) University of Philadelphia
(c) University of Pennsylvania
(d) Temple University
15. Who do the elders send to protect Gilgamesh?
(a) Enkidu and Gilgamesh's mother
(b) Twenty men from Uruk
(d) The Shepherds
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom do the people of Uruk pray?
2. How does Enkidu react to Gilgamesh's dreams?
3. This person is created to keep Gilgamesh occupied.
4. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
5. What does Enkidu do with the animals he finds in the woods?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)