|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Enkidu have knowledge of after being with the woman?
(a) Good and Evil
(d) The world
2. How does Enkidu feel about the journey into the forest?
(a) He plans to kill Humbaba himself.
(b) He is worried about the quest.
(c) He is excited to get out of Uruk.
(d) He hopes to see the shepherds again.
3. What does Gilgamesh do that awakens Humbaba?
(a) Begins to cut down the cedars
(b) Bangs on the forest gate
(c) Blows a loud horn
(d) Shouts seven times
4. How many layers of armor has Humbaba put on when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive at the gate to the forest?
5. Humbaba promises to be Gilgamesh's what if left alive?
(c) Best Friend
6. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
7. What is stilled into silence when the men behold the forest?
(a) The sound of the gods
(b) Humbaba's words
(c) Their voices
(d) The wind
8. How far does Enkidu say the cedar forest extends?
(a) One hundred acres
(b) A thousand acres
(c) A distance of ten thousand double-hours
(d) Ten thousand miles
9. How do Gilgamesh and Enkidu establish their friendship?
(a) With a kiss
(b) By announcing their pact in formal court
(c) With a handshake
(d) By drinking each other's blood
10. What does Humbaba do to make Gilgamesh afraid?
(b) Strikes him with a sword
(c) Changes his face
(d) Spews fire
11. What do the axe and meteorite signify in relationship to Enkidu?
(a) They are weapons Gilgamesh will use to destroy Uruk
(b) They are weapons Enkidu will use to kill Gilgamesh
(c) They are elements of the relationship between Enkidu and Gilgamesh
(d) They predict how he will die
12. Why do the gods create Enkidu?
(a) To kill Gilgamesh
(b) To balance Gilgamesh's weaknesses
(c) To spend time with the woman
(d) To rule Uruk
13. Gilgamesh's dreams are a realization of his personal what?
(a) Hopes for the future
(c) curse put on him by the woman
(d) knowledge given by the gods
14. Line 42 at the end of Tablet 4 is called what kind of line?
(a) A culminating line
(b) A imaginary line
(c) A catch-line
(d) A final-line
15. What two things does Enkidu do that make him like a man?
(a) Eats bread and sleeps with the woman
(b) Annoints his body with oil and puts on his garment
(c) Cuts down the forest and kills the wolves
(d) Kills a lion and drinks strong wine
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh do before Shamash each time they stop?
2. Who appointed Humbaba protector of the forest?
3. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu first meet?
4. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
5. How many goblets of strong drink does Enkidu drink after the courtesan teaches him to drink properly?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)