|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Uruk say about Enkidu when they first see him?
(a) He stronger than Gilgamesh.
(b) He is shorter than Gilgamesh.
(c) He is taller than Gilgamesh.
(d) He is very hairy.
2. How far does Enkidu say the cedar forest extends?
(a) One hundred acres
(b) A distance of ten thousand double-hours
(c) Ten thousand miles
(d) A thousand acres
3. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
4. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
(a) Half of her own garment
(b) Leaves from the forest
(c) One of the shepherds cloaks
(d) The skins of animals
5. What does Gilgamesh do that awakens Humbaba?
(a) Begins to cut down the cedars
(b) Bangs on the forest gate
(c) Blows a loud horn
(d) Shouts seven times
6. Who interprets Gilgamesh's dreams?
(b) The shepherds
7. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
(a) Penn State University
(b) Temple University
(c) University of Philadelphia
(d) University of Pennsylvania
8. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
9. How many days does the journey to the Cedar Forest take?
(a) One month
(b) Six days
(c) Six months
(d) One week
10. From where does Gilgamesh's mother say his companion will come?
(a) The sky
(b) The river
(c) The wilderness
(d) The gods
11. Who is Ninsun?
(a) Gilgamesh's wife
(b) Enkidu's wife
(c) Gilgamesh's mother
(d) Enkidu's mother
12. What does Gilgamesh do before Shamash each time they stop?
(a) Digs a well
(b) Drinks wine
(c) Offers a sacrifice
(d) Kneels to pray five times
13. What is another name for the cedar forest?
(a) Utnapishtim's stronghold
(b) The dwelling place of the gods
(c) The home of Shamash
(d) The end of the world
14. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
15. What does Enkidu tell Gilgamesh is guarding the Cedar Forest?
(a) A demon named Humbaba
(b) A great angel with a sword
(c) The shepherds watch over the forest
(d) A pack of angry wolves
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city Gilgamesh builds?
2. What does Gilgamesh's mother tell him the two dreams mean?
3. What falls to the earth in Gilgamesh's dream?
4. The tale of Gilgamesh is carved on what type of stone?
5. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to contemplate their course of action and interpret Gilgamesh's dreams?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)