|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the elders counsel Gilgamesh to let lead the way?
(a) The shepherds
(b) The animals
(d) The gods
2. How far does Enkidu say the cedar forest extends?
(a) Ten thousand miles
(b) One hundred acres
(c) A distance of ten thousand double-hours
(d) A thousand acres
3. Who interprets Gilgamesh's dreams?
(c) The shepherds
4. What does Gilgamesh want to do in the Cedar Forest?
(a) Go hunting
(b) Cut down all the trees
(c) Learn to live with the animals like Enkidu
(d) To meet the shepherds
5. What will supposedly make Enkidu lose his power?
(a) Drinking wine
(b) Fighting a giant
(c) Having his hair cut
(d) Being seduced by a woman
6. Where does Gilgamesh see the ax in his dream?
(a) His bedroom
(b) The wilderness
(c) The temple
(d) The marketplace
7. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
8. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
(a) Blow down the trees on top of him
(b) Blow him to the underworld
(c) Immobilize him
(d) Blow him into the sea
9. How many layers of armor has Humbaba put on when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive at the gate to the forest?
10. Humbaba promises to be Gilgamesh's what if left alive?
(a) Best Friend
11. How many days does the journey to the Cedar Forest take?
(a) One week
(b) One month
(c) Six days
(d) Six months
12. What is the woman called who seduces Enkidu?
(a) The harlot
(c) The courtier
(d) The courtesan
13. By what phrase does Enkidu refer to Ninsun?
(a) goddess of the sky
(b) Queen of men
(c) Mighty princess
(d) Wild cow
14. Why do the gods create Enkidu?
(a) To spend time with the woman
(b) To rule Uruk
(c) To balance Gilgamesh's weaknesses
(d) To kill Gilgamesh
15. How many hours do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk in one day?
(a) twenty double hours
(b) thirty double hours
(c) twenty-five double hours
(d) Fifty double hours
Short Answer Questions
1. This person is created to keep Gilgamesh occupied.
2. The elders tell Gilgamesh that he is young and __________ has carried him away in proposing to battle Humbaba.
3. Who appointed Humbaba protector of the forest?
4. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu first meet?
5. What does Gilgamesh do before Shamash each time they stop?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)