|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to those who go to the cedar forest?
(a) They are turned to stone
(b) Humbaba eats them
(c) Weakness overtakes them
(d) The gate burns them
2. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
(a) Blow him to the underworld
(b) Immobilize him
(c) Blow down the trees on top of him
(d) Blow him into the sea
3. What is the name of the city Gilgamesh builds?
4. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
(a) Penn State University
(b) Temple University
(c) University of Philadelphia
(d) University of Pennsylvania
5. Where does Gilgamesh vow to throw Humbaba's body?
(a) On the plain
(b) In Ishtar's castle
(c) In the river
(d) At the gods
6. At what time of night does Gilgamesh awaken Enkidu to tell him about his dream?
(a) 2 AM
(b) 1 AM
(d) 3 AM
7. How many dreams does Gilgamesh have on the journey to the forest?
(c) Three or Six
8. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
9. Where is Enkidu raised?
(a) The wilderness
(b) With the gods
(c) In a city full of Gilgamesh's enemies
10. What does Enkidu have knowledge of after being with the woman?
(c) The world
(d) Good and Evil
11. How does Enkidu react to Gilgamesh's dreams?
(a) He says he fears they will come true
(b) He interprets them positively
(c) He says they mean nothing
(d) He has similar dreams
12. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
13. What type of drink is Enkidu used to drinking?
(a) The wine drunk in the city
(b) Water from a stream
(c) Cow's milk
(d) The milk of wild animals
14. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu first meet?
(a) In the temple
(b) At the river
(c) At the marketplace
(d) In the woods
15. What does Gilgamesh's mother tell him the two dreams mean?
(a) That his death is imminent
(b) That the city of Uruk will fall
(c) That a companion is coming to help Gilgamesh
(d) That he will have a son
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Gilgamesh and Enkidu establish their friendship?
2. What is a talent?
3. What does Gilgamesh do that awakens Humbaba?
4. What does Gilgamesh say will happen if Humbaba kills him?
5. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)