|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Uruk say about Enkidu when they first see him?
(a) He is taller than Gilgamesh.
(b) He is very hairy.
(c) He is shorter than Gilgamesh.
(d) He stronger than Gilgamesh.
2. The elders tell Gilgamesh that he is young and __________ has carried him away in proposing to battle Humbaba.
(a) His heart
(b) His fear
(c) His pride
(d) Enkidu's friendship
3. Who helps Enkidu and Gilgamesh defeat Humbaba?
(a) They do not defeat Humbaba.
(b) The shepherds
(c) Animals in the forest
4. From where does Gilgamesh's mother say his companion will come?
(a) The river
(b) The sky
(c) The wilderness
(d) The gods
5. What does Gilgamesh do before Shamash each time they stop?
(a) Drinks wine
(b) Digs a well
(c) Offers a sacrifice
(d) Kneels to pray five times
6. What does Gilgamesh's mother tell him the two dreams mean?
(a) That his death is imminent
(b) That a companion is coming to help Gilgamesh
(c) That the city of Uruk will fall
(d) That he will have a son
7. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
8. How many days would it take a mortal man to travel as far as Gilgamesh and Enkidu cover in fifty double hours?
(a) A week
(b) A month and fifteen days
(c) Three weeks
(d) Twelve days
9. What two things does Enkidu do that make him like a man?
(a) Annoints his body with oil and puts on his garment
(b) Eats bread and sleeps with the woman
(c) Kills a lion and drinks strong wine
(d) Cuts down the forest and kills the wolves
10. How long are Enkidu and the woman together?
(a) A fortnight
(b) An hour
(c) One night
(d) A week
11. What is another name for Humbaba?
(d) Watchman of the forest
12. Humbaba asks Gilgamesh to not do what to him?
(a) Banish him from the forest
(b) Burn the forest down
(c) Cut down all the trees
(d) Kill him
13. How many winds come against Humbaba?
14. How many hours do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk in one day?
(a) twenty double hours
(b) thirty double hours
(c) Fifty double hours
(d) twenty-five double hours
15. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
(a) Leaves from the forest
(b) Half of her own garment
(c) The skins of animals
(d) One of the shepherds cloaks
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ninsun?
2. How far does Enkidu say the cedar forest extends?
3. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
4. How does Enkidu feel about the journey into the forest?
5. To whom do the people of Uruk pray?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)