|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the city Gilgamesh builds?
2. Who does Gilgamesh's mother pray to for protection for her son?
(b) The god of the forest
(c) The sun god
3. What type of drink is Enkidu used to drinking?
(a) Water from a stream
(b) Cow's milk
(c) The wine drunk in the city
(d) The milk of wild animals
4. Humbaba promises to be Gilgamesh's what if left alive?
(b) Best Friend
5. Where does Gilgamesh vow to throw Humbaba's body?
(a) On the plain
(b) At the gods
(c) In Ishtar's castle
(d) In the river
6. What does Gilgamesh want to do in the Cedar Forest?
(a) Cut down all the trees
(b) To meet the shepherds
(c) Go hunting
(d) Learn to live with the animals like Enkidu
7. How many goblets of strong drink does Enkidu drink after the courtesan teaches him to drink properly?
8. To whom do the people of Uruk pray?
9. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
(a) Where he was born
(b) The courtesan's name
(c) His own name
(d) Who his parents are
10. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
(a) Half of her own garment
(b) One of the shepherds cloaks
(c) Leaves from the forest
(d) The skins of animals
11. Why does Enkidu go to a celebration in Uruk?
(a) Because he wants to be part of the celebration
(b) To stop Gilgamesh from sleeping with a new bride
(c) To eat at the feast
(d) To dance with the woman
12. What do the people of Uruk say about Enkidu when they first see him?
(a) He is very hairy.
(b) He is shorter than Gilgamesh.
(c) He stronger than Gilgamesh.
(d) He is taller than Gilgamesh.
13. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
14. What happens when Gilgamesh and Enkidu fight?
(a) They become friends because they are equals.
(b) Gilgamesh kills Enkidu.
(c) Enkdiu takes the new bride for himself.
(d) Enkidu kills Gilgamesh.
15. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
(a) University of Pennsylvania
(b) University of Philadelphia
(c) Penn State University
(d) Temple University
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days would it take a mortal man to travel as far as Gilgamesh and Enkidu cover in fifty double hours?
2. Who do the elders counsel Gilgamesh to let lead the way?
3. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
4. What is another name for Humbaba?
5. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)