|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh do before Shamash each time they stop?
(a) Offers a sacrifice
(b) Kneels to pray five times
(c) Drinks wine
(d) Digs a well
2. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
(a) Fire and Lightening
(b) Death and thunder
(c) A cave and hell
(d) Fire and death
3. Where does Gilgamesh vow to throw Humbaba's body?
(a) On the plain
(b) At the gods
(c) In the river
(d) In Ishtar's castle
4. This person is created to keep Gilgamesh occupied.
5. With whom does Enkidu live?
(a) A group of shepherds
(b) The gods
(c) A pack of wolves
(d) The woman
6. What happens to those who go to the cedar forest?
(a) Humbaba eats them
(b) They are turned to stone
(c) The gate burns them
(d) Weakness overtakes them
7. What does Gilgamesh do that awakens Humbaba?
(a) Begins to cut down the cedars
(b) Bangs on the forest gate
(c) Shouts seven times
(d) Blows a loud horn
8. What does Enkidu do with the animals he finds in the woods?
(a) Teaches them to attack Gilgamesh
(b) Captures them to sell in the city
(c) Frees them from traps
(d) Kills them for the fur
9. What is a talent?
(a) A type of sword
(b) An ability a person has to perform well
(c) A unit of measure equalling about sixty pounds
(d) A unit for measuring length
10. Who do the elders counsel Gilgamesh to let lead the way?
(b) The animals
(c) The shepherds
(d) The gods
11. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
12. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
13. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
(a) Blow him into the sea
(b) Immobilize him
(c) Blow him to the underworld
(d) Blow down the trees on top of him
14. What do the people of Uruk do with the axe in Gilgamesh's dream?
(a) Celebrate around it
(b) Use it to kill Gilgamesh
(c) Throw it in the river
(d) Bury it
15. How far do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk each day?
(a) 100 miles
(b) 15 miles
(c) 50 miles
(d) As far as another man would walk in a month
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gilgamesh see the ax in his dream?
2. What falls to the earth in Gilgamesh's dream?
3. The tale of Gilgamesh is carved on what type of stone?
4. Humbaba promises to be Gilgamesh's what if left alive?
5. Who does Gilgamesh's mother pray to for protection for her son?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)