|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
2. What is the woman called who seduces Enkidu?
(b) The harlot
(c) The courtesan
(d) The courtier
3. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
4. From where does Gilgamesh's mother say his companion will come?
(a) The gods
(b) The wilderness
(c) The sky
(d) The river
5. What is another name for the cedar forest?
(a) Utnapishtim's stronghold
(b) The home of Shamash
(c) The end of the world
(d) The dwelling place of the gods
6. What does Enkidu forget when he is sitting before the courtesan?
(a) Who his parents are
(b) His own name
(c) Where he was born
(d) The courtesan's name
7. What type of drink is Enkidu used to drinking?
(a) The wine drunk in the city
(b) The milk of wild animals
(c) Cow's milk
(d) Water from a stream
8. What other people try to discourage Gilgamesh from undertaking his voyage to engage Humbaba?
(a) His mother
(b) The shepherds
(c) The elders of Uruk
(d) The woman
9. What happens to those who go to the cedar forest?
(a) Humbaba eats them
(b) The gate burns them
(c) Weakness overtakes them
(d) They are turned to stone
10. What do the eight winds do to Humbaba?
(a) Blow him to the underworld
(b) Blow him into the sea
(c) Immobilize him
(d) Blow down the trees on top of him
11. What do the people of Uruk say about Enkidu when they first see him?
(a) He is shorter than Gilgamesh.
(b) He is taller than Gilgamesh.
(c) He is very hairy.
(d) He stronger than Gilgamesh.
12. This person is created to keep Gilgamesh occupied.
13. Who do the elders send to protect Gilgamesh?
(a) The Shepherds
(c) Twenty men from Uruk
(d) Enkidu and Gilgamesh's mother
14. The elders tell Gilgamesh that he is young and __________ has carried him away in proposing to battle Humbaba.
(a) His fear
(b) His heart
(c) Enkidu's friendship
(d) His pride
15. By what phrase does Enkidu refer to Ninsun?
(a) goddess of the sky
(b) Queen of men
(c) Mighty princess
(d) Wild cow
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days would it take a mortal man to travel as far as Gilgamesh and Enkidu cover in fifty double hours?
2. Humbaba's mouth and breath are like what?
3. Where does Gilgamesh vow to throw Humbaba's body?
4. What does Gilgamesh say will happen if Humbaba kills him?
5. Where is Enkidu raised?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)