|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many dreams does Gilgamesh have on the journey to the forest?
(a) Three or Six
2. What is stilled into silence when the men behold the forest?
(a) The sound of the gods
(b) Their voices
(c) Humbaba's words
(d) The wind
3. What is a recension?
(a) A revision of a text
(b) A time of economic depression
(c) A period of extreme famine
(d) A time when water recedes after a flood
4. Humbaba asks Gilgamesh to not do what to him?
(a) Burn the forest down
(b) Kill him
(c) Cut down all the trees
(d) Banish him from the forest
5. What does Gilgamesh say will happen if Humbaba kills him?
(a) Gilgamesh will burn down the forest.
(b) The people of Uruk will hunt down the demon.
(c) Enkidu will have to kill Humbaba.
(d) Gilgamesh's name will live on forever.
6. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
7. Who appointed Humbaba protector of the forest?
8. What does Gilgamesh want to do in the Cedar Forest?
(a) Cut down all the trees
(b) Go hunting
(c) Learn to live with the animals like Enkidu
(d) To meet the shepherds
9. What is another phrase for sleep?
(a) The long kiss goodnight
(b) The long goodbye
(c) The time of the gods
(d) The outpouring of the night
10. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to contemplate their course of action and interpret Gilgamesh's dreams?
(a) The river
(b) The forest
(c) The temple
(d) The plain
11. What is another name for the cedar forest?
(a) Utnapishtim's stronghold
(b) The home of Shamash
(c) The end of the world
(d) The dwelling place of the gods
12. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
13. How does Gilgamesh say that Enkidu's paralysis will end?
(a) If they go into the forest together
(b) By killing Humbaba
(c) By sacrificing to Shamash
(d) By bathing in the Euphrates river
14. What is another name for Humbaba?
(d) Watchman of the forest
15. To whom do the people of Uruk pray?
Short Answer Questions
1. What will supposedly make Enkidu lose his power?
2. What falls to the earth in Gilgamesh's dream?
3. Gilgamesh's dreams are a realization of his personal what?
4. How does Gilgamesh know something is wrong with Enkidu?
5. What does the courtesan use to clothe Enkidu?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)