|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many layers of armor has Humbaba put on when Gilgamesh and Enkidu arrive at the gate to the forest?
2. How long are Enkidu and the woman together?
(a) One night
(b) A week
(c) A fortnight
(d) An hour
3. Who appointed Humbaba protector of the forest?
4. What is a talent?
(a) An ability a person has to perform well
(b) A type of sword
(c) A unit for measuring length
(d) A unit of measure equalling about sixty pounds
5. How many hours do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk in one day?
(a) twenty double hours
(b) Fifty double hours
(c) twenty-five double hours
(d) thirty double hours
6. At what time of night does Gilgamesh awaken Enkidu to tell him about his dream?
(b) 2 AM
(c) 1 AM
(d) 3 AM
7. What does Gilgamesh do that awakens Humbaba?
(a) Begins to cut down the cedars
(b) Shouts seven times
(c) Blows a loud horn
(d) Bangs on the forest gate
8. What happens to those who go to the cedar forest?
(a) Humbaba eats them
(b) Weakness overtakes them
(c) The gate burns them
(d) They are turned to stone
9. Gilgamesh's dreams are an example of what kind of narrative technique?
10. What other people try to discourage Gilgamesh from undertaking his voyage to engage Humbaba?
(a) The shepherds
(b) The elders of Uruk
(c) His mother
(d) The woman
11. What is the name of the city Gilgamesh builds?
12. How many layers of armor does Humbaba usually wear?
13. How far does Enkidu say the cedar forest extends?
(a) A thousand acres
(b) Ten thousand miles
(c) A distance of ten thousand double-hours
(d) One hundred acres
14. This person is created to keep Gilgamesh occupied.
15. How does Enkidu react to Gilgamesh's dreams?
(a) He says he fears they will come true
(b) He says they mean nothing
(c) He interprets them positively
(d) He has similar dreams
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
2. What do the axe and meteorite signify in relationship to Enkidu?
3. Who intercedes to help Gilgamesh overcome Humbaba?
4. Why does Enkidu go to a celebration in Uruk?
5. What do the people of Uruk do with the axe in Gilgamesh's dream?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)