|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Enkidu raised?
(a) In a city full of Gilgamesh's enemies
(b) The wilderness
(d) With the gods
2. At what time of night does Gilgamesh awaken Enkidu to tell him about his dream?
(a) 3 AM
(b) 1 AM
(c) 2 AM
3. What does Humbaba do to make Gilgamesh afraid?
(a) Strikes him with a sword
(b) Changes his face
(c) Spews fire
4. From where does Gilgamesh's mother say his companion will come?
(a) The gods
(b) The sky
(c) The wilderness
(d) The river
5. How many days does the journey to the Cedar Forest take?
(a) One month
(b) One week
(c) Six days
(d) Six months
6. How many winds come against Humbaba?
7. What is the name of the temple where Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to pray?
8. What is another name for the cedar forest?
(a) The home of Shamash
(b) The dwelling place of the gods
(c) The end of the world
(d) Utnapishtim's stronghold
9. What university in Pennsylvania owns a large portion of the Gilgamesh tablets?
(a) Temple University
(b) Penn State University
(c) University of Pennsylvania
(d) University of Philadelphia
10. How far does Enkidu say the cedar forest extends?
(a) A distance of ten thousand double-hours
(b) One hundred acres
(c) A thousand acres
(d) Ten thousand miles
11. What type of drink is Enkidu used to drinking?
(a) Water from a stream
(b) The milk of wild animals
(c) The wine drunk in the city
(d) Cow's milk
12. Gilgamesh asks Shamash to give Enkidu what?
(a) A wife
(b) A kingdom of his own
(c) A dream
(d) Victory over Humbaba
13. In Gilgamesh's second dream what does he see?
(a) A burning bush
(b) An axe
(c) An angel
(d) A lion
14. What happens to Enkidu's hand when he tries to open the gate?
(a) It is badly burned
(b) It falls off
(c) It is paralyzed
(d) It turns to stone
15. What two things does Enkidu do that make him like a man?
(a) Cuts down the forest and kills the wolves
(b) Annoints his body with oil and puts on his garment
(c) Eats bread and sleeps with the woman
(d) Kills a lion and drinks strong wine
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of Uruk say about Enkidu when they first see him?
2. What do the axe and meteorite signify in relationship to Enkidu?
3. What is a talent?
4. Where does Gilgamesh vow to throw Humbaba's body?
5. What happens to those who go to the cedar forest?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)