|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours do Gilgamesh and Enkidu walk in one day?
(a) twenty double hours
(b) twenty-five double hours
(c) thirty double hours
(d) Fifty double hours
2. Which god is said to have her throne in the Cedar Forest?
3. What does Enkidu tell Gilgamesh is guarding the Cedar Forest?
(a) A pack of angry wolves
(b) The shepherds watch over the forest
(c) A demon named Humbaba
(d) A great angel with a sword
4. What happens to Enkidu's hand when he tries to open the gate?
(a) It falls off
(b) It turns to stone
(c) It is paralyzed
(d) It is badly burned
5. How does Enkidu feel about the journey into the forest?
(a) He plans to kill Humbaba himself.
(b) He is worried about the quest.
(c) He hopes to see the shepherds again.
(d) He is excited to get out of Uruk.
6. The elders tell Gilgamesh that he is young and __________ has carried him away in proposing to battle Humbaba.
(a) His heart
(b) His fear
(c) Enkidu's friendship
(d) His pride
7. What does Gilgamesh say will happen if Humbaba kills him?
(a) Gilgamesh's name will live on forever.
(b) Enkidu will have to kill Humbaba.
(c) Gilgamesh will burn down the forest.
(d) The people of Uruk will hunt down the demon.
8. Why does Enkidu not like living in the city?
(a) Because he feels weak and idle
(b) Because he does not have a house of his own
(c) Because he misses the shepherds
(d) Because he prefers sleeping outside
9. Who appointed Humbaba protector of the forest?
10. Where do Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to contemplate their course of action and interpret Gilgamesh's dreams?
(a) The forest
(b) The plain
(c) The temple
(d) The river
11. What is a recension?
(a) A period of extreme famine
(b) A revision of a text
(c) A time when water recedes after a flood
(d) A time of economic depression
12. How do Gilgamesh and Enkidu establish their friendship?
(a) By drinking each other's blood
(b) With a kiss
(c) With a handshake
(d) By announcing their pact in formal court
13. How many winds come against Humbaba?
14. What type of drink is Enkidu used to drinking?
(a) The wine drunk in the city
(b) Water from a stream
(c) Cow's milk
(d) The milk of wild animals
15. What is another phrase for sleep?
(a) The outpouring of the night
(b) The long goodbye
(c) The time of the gods
(d) The long kiss goodnight
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pulls Gilgamesh from under the toppled mountain in his dream?
2. What is a talent?
3. What falls to the earth in Gilgamesh's dream?
4. What do the axe and meteorite signify in relationship to Enkidu?
5. What do the people of Uruk do with the axe in Gilgamesh's dream?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)