|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, why do migrants hope to cross this area during the day along this part of the journey?
2. On what date does Enrique arrive with Lourdes' boyfriend in Chapter 6?
3. How are the residents of Mexico City described in their behavior toward the migrants?
4. How old is Soledad Vasquez?
5. From the top of the rolling freight car in Chapter 4, what does Enrique see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Enrique arrive after crossing the border into the U.S.? Where is he taken next and by whom?
2. What items does Enrique obtain in Orizaba? Why are they important?
3. What is Enrique's relationship to the brick maker? What advice does the brick maker give Enrique?
4. How are the residents of Mexico City described in Chapter 4?
5. How does Enrique ultimately avoid deportation?
6. What happens when Enrique is arrested in Jacksonville, Florida? Where is he taken?
7. How are the residents of Veracruz described in Chapter 4?
8. What vices does Enrique engage in throughout the narrative? What problems do they cause him?
9. What robbery does Jasmin witness? Where does the robbery take place?
10. Who is Don Francisco? What role does he play in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of religion in Enrique's Journey. What religious figures appear in the narrative? What roles do they serve? In what ways do the religious leaders in small Mexican communities help the migrants?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of motherhood and family in Enrique's Journey. How does the author evoke these themes through her characterizations in the book? What events and circumstances connect to these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the language style in Enrique's Journey. How are the individuals that Nazario characterizes demonstrated through language? What Spanish words appear in the text? How are these words or phrases integrated into English?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)