|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many attempts has Enrique made to get to the United States?
2. How does Enrique behave at school?
3. What does the mayor in Chapter 2 do for Enrique?
4. Why is Enrique assaulted?
5. What habit does Enrique develop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Enrique captured during his first attempt to travel north?
2. What does Guillermina Galvez Lopez relate to the author in Chapter 3?
3. How is the theme of family disintegration illustrated through Maria Isabel in Chapter 2?
4. What has led to Enrique’s injuries in the opening of Chapter 2?
5. How is Enrique treated by the locals after his injuries are treated in Chapter 2?
6. How is Lourdes' journey into the United States described?
7. What does Sonia Nazario learn about her housekeeper that leads her to write this book?
8. What are the extent of Enrique's injuries in Chapter 2? Who treats him?
9. How does the author introduce the theme of family in the book's Prologue?
10. Why is Chiapas referred to as the beast by the migrants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are common issues that arise with migrant children when they reach their mothers in the U.S.? How do these children fare in school? What behavioral problems often arise? What is at the root of these behavioral problems?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of motherhood and family in Enrique's Journey. How does the author evoke these themes through her characterizations in the book? What events and circumstances connect to these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How have perceptions of illegal immigrants changed in your lifetime? What public or political figures have made immigration a central focus? How have the personal views of your family and friends changed?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)