|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Belky live when her mother leaves?
(a) She lives with her grandmother.
(b) She lives with her family.
(c) She lives with an aunt.
(d) She lives with a friend.
2. To what gang does the gangster belong that sleeps next to Enrique in Chapter 3?
(a) The Beltrán-Leyva gang.
(b) The Mara Salvatrucha gang.
(c) The Gulf Cartel.
(d) The Los Antrax gang.
3. What does the mayor in Chapter 2 do for Enrique?
(a) He has him sent back to Honduras.
(b) He takes him to jail.
(c) He drags out a wooden church pew for Enrique to lie down.
(d) He calls his mother so she can come get him.
4. What fueled the wave of female immigrants' entry into the United States?
(a) The United States government welcomed female immigrants.
(b) Female immigrants could easily come to the United States.
(c) The United States' need for cheap service and domestic workers.
(d) Female immigrants needed to get away from their children.
5. What happens to Lourdes when she arrives in Los Angeles?
(a) She goes back to Honduras.
(b) She catches a flight to Miami.
(c) Her smuggler leaves her.
(d) She goes to work in the airport.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Diana?
2. Who is Santos?
3. What does Enrique have on his shins in Chapter 3?
4. When Enrique flags down a down a car after being released from the hospital, what does the driver do?
5. What does Enrique say he plans to do once he is released from the hospital in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does the doctor give Enrique in Chapter 2?
2. With whom does Lourdes leave her children? Why?
3. What does Guillermina Galvez Lopez relate to the author in Chapter 3?
4. How old is Lourdes when she leaves her children? Why does she leave them?
5. Who is Minor and what information is related from him in the Prologue?
6. How was Enrique captured in each of his previous attempts to travel north, according to the author in Chapter 2?
7. What are the extent of Enrique's injuries in Chapter 2? Who treats him?
8. How does Enrique escape apprehension when he reaches La Arrocera in Chapter 3?
9. How is Enrique treated by the locals after his injuries are treated in Chapter 2?
10. What does Sonia Nazario learn about her housekeeper that leads her to write this book?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)