|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the smugglers drive Enrique after his mother has paid them additional money in Chapter 6?
(b) New Orleans.
2. What is one of the main issues that teachers must deal with regarding immigrant children, according to the author in the Afterword?
(a) There is racial bias against the children.
(b) They harbor resentment which spills over into behavior problems.
(c) They are often too poor to wear decent clothing to school.
(d) They do not understand the language or culture in the U.S.
3. What does Maria Isabel lose in the river in Chapter 8?
(a) A photo of her mother.
(b) A photo of the family farm.
(c) A photo of her husband.
(d) A photo of her daughter.
4. Approximately how many miles has Enrique traveled in the 122 days he has sought his mother in Chapter 6?
5. On what days does Enrique call Maria Isabel?
6. By April 2000, how far has Enrique made it in his journey?
(a) He is back in Honduras.
(b) He has made it nearly a third of the way.
(c) He is in the United States.
(d) He has made it half way.
7. When does Enrique promise to Maria Isabel that he will return home in Chapter 7?
(a) Within two years.
(b) Within six months.
(c) Within six years.
(d) Within one year.
8. What is the first job Enrique gets in America?
(c) Stock boy.
(d) House painter.
9. Why does Enrique consider agreeing to deportation in the Epilogue?
(a) Because he has another girlfriend and another daughter in Honduras.
(b) Because he hates his wife.
(c) Because he might see his family faster by sneaking back into the U.S.
(d) Because his mother has encouraged him to return home.
10. How does Maria Isabel reach the United States?
(a) On buses and trucks.
(b) By riding the trains.
(c) By crossing mountains.
(d) By airplane.
11. Who witnesses the robbery, along with Diana, in the Epilogue?
12. What does the priest do with the $37,500 he saved for retirement?
(a) He cashes it in and moves away.
(b) He invests it to grow the money.
(c) He puts it in an IRA.
(d) He quietly donates the entire amount to buy the land to build the shelter.
13. How are the residents of Mexico City described in their behavior toward the migrants?
(a) They are neither friendly nor helpful.
(b) They are overly friendly and helpful.
(c) They offer the migrants money and food.
(d) They are intense in their hatred for the migrants.
14. What does Jasmin do that allows Enrique to stay in the U.S.?
(a) Testifies about a robbery.
(b) Attempts suicide.
(c) Agrees to return to Honduras alone.
(d) Marries a U.S. Senator.
15. What attracted more immigrants to the U.S. in 2012?
(a) Lack of border patrol.
(b) An upturn in the economy.
(c) Changes in immigration laws.
(d) Invitations from government officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Belky tell her mother she is pregnant for the first time?
2. On what date does Enrique await crossing the border in the opening of Chapter 6?
3. When was Enrique's Journey first published in book form?
4. Where does Enrique's family move in order to make more money in Chapter 7?
5. Enrique's mother demands that he stop doing what or he must leave the house in Chapter 7?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)