|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to María's plan to go after Enrique?
(a) She does not have the money to go.
(b) Enrique comes home, so she does not have to go find him.
(c) She is talked out of it by her family.
(d) Her friend backs out.
2. How old is Diana when Santos returns to Lourdes?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what happens to Enrique?
(a) He gets a job in Oaxaca, Mexico.
(b) He arrives in America.
(c) He goes back home.
(d) He wanders into Las Anonas bleeding and hurt.
4. Who is the field worker that discovers Enrique stumbling in a field?
(a) Adan Diaz Ruiz.
(b) Miguel Rellana.
(c) Carlos Carrasco.
(d) Sirenio Gómez Fuentes.
5. What does Enrique do when the migra agents spot him on top of the train in Chapter 3?
(a) He hides.
(b) He leaps from car to car, and then leaps off the train.
(c) He surrenders to la migra.
(d) He and some friends fight back.
6. Who is the mayor of San Pedro Taanatepec?
(a) Carlos Carrasco.
(b) Karla Yamileth Chavez.
(c) Guillermo Toledo Montes.
(d) Adan Diaz Ruiz.
7. In Chapter 2, it is March 24, 2000. How long has Enrique been without his mom?
(a) He has been without her for his entire life.
(b) He has been without her for two years.
(c) He has been without her for 11 years.
(d) He has been without her for five years.
8. What does the mayor in Chapter 2 do for Enrique?
(a) He takes him to jail.
(b) He drags out a wooden church pew for Enrique to lie down.
(c) He calls his mother so she can come get him.
(d) He has him sent back to Honduras.
9. In what border town do migrants usually try to cross the river?
(a) They try to cross in Técun Umán.
(b) They try to cross in Oaxaca.
(c) They try to cross In Chiapas.
(d) They try to cross in Vera Cruz.
10. What fueled the wave of female immigrants' entry into the United States?
(a) Female immigrants needed to get away from their children.
(b) The United States' need for cheap service and domestic workers.
(c) Female immigrants could easily come to the United States.
(d) The United States government welcomed female immigrants.
11. What is Marco Antonio Zablah's job?
(a) He is a policeman.
(b) He is a butcher.
(c) He is a local politician.
(d) He is a money changer.
12. What does María Isabel pray?
(a) She prays that Mexican Immigration authorities will catch Enrique and bring him back to Honduras.
(b) She prays she is pregnant with twins.
(c) She prays she can join Enrique on his journey.
(d) She prays she is not pregnant.
13. Who does Mayor Carrasco ask for help?
(a) He asks la migra.
(b) He asks the mayor of San Pedro Taanatepec.
(c) He asks a local doctor.
(d) He asks the local police.
14. How many migrants who arrive at the Albergue Belén shelter in Tapachula, on average, are robbed, beaten, or extorted by police?
(a) None of them are robbed, beaten, or extorted
(b) Four out of five are robbed, beaten, or extorted.
(c) One out of three are robbed, beaten, or extorted.
(d) All of them are robbed, beaten, or extorted.
15. Who are madrinas?
(a) They are migrants themselves
(b) They are local priests.
(c) They are men who help migrants.
(d) They are men who threaten migrants with machetes.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Maria Isabel love when she meets Enrique?
2. What do María Isabel and a friend decide in Chapter 2 that they are going to do?
3. What happens to most children who set out on the journey to find their mothers?
4. On average, how many migrants do Ariaga's Red Cross workers retrieve?
5. How many estimated children enter the United States illegally without either parent?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)