|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kip in the garden at the villa?
2. What happened to the English patient's truck?
3. What does Caravaggio say he would do when he robbed people's homes?
4. Why doesn't Hana believe Caravaggio about the English patient's identity?
5. Who warned the English patient to be careful about his love for Katharine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think it would be like to be Geoffrey Clifton in this story? Why?
2. Do you find that Kip becomes more or less likable as the novel comes to an end? Why?
3. Describe the hiding game that Hana and Kip play in the dark.
4. Describe the scene in Naples that Kip tells to Hana.
5. Is it surprising to you to find out that the English patient was a spy during the war? Why or why not?
6. Who is Miss Morden? Why is she significant to Kip?
7. What revelation does Kip have regarding his tendency to seek out affectionate relationships?
8. Why would the English patient need to be particularly careful around Geoffrey Clifton? What was significant about his character?
9. What does Kip's story about the bomb in a pit represent?
10. What impact does the death of Lord Suffolk have on Kip? How does it affect his relationship with Hana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of the English patient and Caravaggio. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Hana and Kip? Why do you think Hana becomes so quickly attached to Kip? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Ondaatje's novel. Why would Ondaatje include these instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)