|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the English patient stay in jail?
2. What do Kip and Hana do after they wash their hair?
3. How does the English patient get burned?
4. What does Kip's brother mistrust?
5. What did Katharine request to borrow from the English patient?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Kip share with Caravaggio the story about dismantling a bomb in a pit?
2. Explain the reasoning behind Caravaggio wanting to drug the English patient.
3. Why is Kip extremely upset in Chapter 10?
4. Do you think Caravaggio was justified in forcing the English patient to talk about his identity? Why or why not?
5. Describe the hiding game that Hana and Kip play in the dark.
6. What occurs that leads to changes in the relationship between Kip and Caravaggio?
7. How are Caravaggio and the English patient similar in their motivation for love in this chapter?
8. What impact does the death of Lord Suffolk have on Kip? How does it affect his relationship with Hana?
9. Is it surprising to you to find out that the English patient was a spy during the war? Why or why not?
10. Explain how the English patient came to be severely burned.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of Ondaatje's work, "The English Patient," seems straightforward yet indicates a particular significance about one character. In your opinion, why does Ondaatje choose this particular title for his work? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Ondaatje's novel. Why would Ondaatje include these instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Ondaatje include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)