|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device is used when the English patient is talking about his relationship with Katharine?
2. What is Hana's profession?
3. Who rescued the English patient from the desert?
4. Why does Hana say it became difficult to deal with her patients?
5. What is the English patient's team searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator recount the English patient's adventures in the desert?
2. Describe the relationship between Caravaggio and Hana.
3. What do you think of the relationship between Hana and the English patient by the end of Chapter 1? Why?
4. How is the topic of companionship explored in Chapter 4?
5. What is Katharine's first reaction when she falls in love with the English patient?
6. Describe Kip and his fascination with religious symbols.
7. What impact has the war had on Hana?
8. What event in Chapter 3 brings Hana and Kip closer together?
9. Why does Katharine decide to breaks off her affair with the English patient?
10. What is the general purpose of Chapter 4? Is it effective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does World War II have on Ondaatje's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the war have on characters, and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 2
Some have identified the plot of "The English Patient" as somewhat confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The title of Ondaatje's work, "The English Patient," seems straightforward yet indicates a particular significance about one character. In your opinion, why does Ondaatje choose this particular title for his work? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)