|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Katharine tell her lover they must end their affair?
2. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 5?
3. Who does Clinton bring with him to the exploration?
4. Who falls in love with the English patient at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What animal comes into the English patient's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event in Chapter 3 brings Hana and Kip closer together?
2. Why does Katharine decide to breaks off her affair with the English patient?
3. How does the relationship between Hana and Kip foreshadow later events in the novel?
4. Describe the English patient's reaction to Katharine's decision to end the affair.
5. Describe the setting of Chapter 1.
6. Describe how Hana and the English patient come to know each other.
7. How is the topic of companionship explored in Chapter 4?
8. What is Hana's reaction to Caravaggio's arrival at the villa?
9. What activities do Hana and the English patient do together?
10. What purpose does the piano serve in the villa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Ondaatje's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
The English patient experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with the desert and the plane crash. What do these flashbacks teach us about the English patient? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of companionship is present throughout this novel. What can readers learn about Ondaatje's characters in relation to others? Be sure to give specific examples.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)