|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal comes into the English patient's bedroom?
2. During what time period is the English patient a great explorer of Africa?
3. How is the English patient identified in Chapter 1?
4. Who falls in love with the English patient at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What is Kip's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Chapter 1.
2. How does the relationship between Hana and Kip foreshadow later events in the novel?
3. Describe Hana's daily life in the villa.
4. How does the English patient behave when he and Katharine are apart?
5. What is Katharine's first reaction when she falls in love with the English patient?
6. What activities do Hana and the English patient do together?
7. What purpose does the piano serve in the villa?
8. Describe how Caravaggio finds out that Hana is at the villa.
9. How does the entry of Geoffrey Clinton into the story change the plot?
10. What impact has the war had on Hana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Hana and Kip? Why do you think Hana becomes so quickly attached to Kip? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the main theme of Onjaatje's novel? Identify at least three events in "The English Patient" that communicate this theme.
Essay Topic 3
The title of Ondaatje's work, "The English Patient," seems straightforward yet indicates a particular significance about one character. In your opinion, why does Ondaatje choose this particular title for his work? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)