|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kip fall asleep when he is in Naples?
(a) It is unclear.
(b) Under a statue.
(c) In a motel.
(d) In the villa.
2. Why does Caravaggio give the English patient what he does in Chapter 6?
(a) In order to encourage him to talk.
(b) To help him relax.
(c) To help relieve the pain.
(d) To give him some confidence.
3. Who is Kip's mentor's secretary?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) Caravaggio's ex-wife.
(c) Hana's mother.
(d) Miss Morden.
4. How does the relationship between Kip and Hana change in Chapter 8?
(a) They are only friends.
(b) They become lovers.
(c) They agree that they are not meant to be together.
(d) It is more motherly.
5. What does Caravaggio say he would do when he robbed people's homes?
(a) Take everything they own
(b) Talk to the owners if they saw him.
(c) Pay them back eventually.
(d) Leave a thank you note.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Katharine request to borrow from the English patient?
2. How does Kip find out about becoming a sapper?
3. When does Kip discover that he tends to go outside of his family to find affection?
4. Who catches what Caravaggio knocks off the table?
5. Why does Caravaggio knock an item off the table at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Caravaggio and the English patient similar in their motivation for love in this chapter?
2. Who is Miss Morden? Why is she significant to Kip?
3. Why do you think Caravaggio is so eager to disprove the English patient's identity?
4. How is prejudice brought up in Chapter 7?
5. What does Kip's story about the bomb in a pit represent?
6. Describe how Katharine and the English patient fall in love.
7. Explain how the English patient came to be severely burned.
8. Describe the scene in Naples that Kip tells to Hana.
9. In Chapter 7, what does the reader learn about traditions in Sikh families? How are these traditions different in Kip's family?
10. Is it surprising to you to find out that the English patient was a spy during the war? Why or why not?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)