|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Katharine panic when she is in the desert?
(a) Because she has a terminal illness.
(b) Because she is lost in the wilderness.
(c) Because her child is dying.
(d) Because she is love with someone other than her husband.
2. What organization does the English patient belong to?
(a) World Travelers.
(b) The National Geographic Society.
(c) Geographical Society.
(d) Kiwanis Club.
3. Which character appears in Chapter 5 in a flashback?
(a) Hana's father.
4. What is wrong with the English patient?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has had brain damage.
(c) He has broken limbs.
(d) He is severely burned.
5. Who does Clinton bring with him to the exploration?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His dog.
(c) His wife.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caravaggio sneak into the room of the German general?
2. What does the reader know about Katharine from Chapter 5?
3. Who decides to end the love affair?
4. What does the English patient say to his lover when their affair is ending?
5. What does Hana think of when she plays the instrument in the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though the English patient's profession is not overtly given, what do you think he does for a living? Why?
2. What is Hana's reaction to Caravaggio's arrival at the villa?
3. In addition to the plane, what else comes along with the plane? Why is this important?
4. What is Katharine's first reaction when she falls in love with the English patient?
5. Describe the English patient's reaction to Katharine's decision to end the affair.
6. Why does Katharine decide to breaks off her affair with the English patient?
7. Describe the significance of the Geographical Society in the story.
8. Describe how Hana and the English patient come to know each other.
9. Describe the setting of Chapter 1.
10. Describe Hana's conversation with Caravaggio in the library after Kip and his partner arrive at the villa.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)