|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katharine throw at the English patient out of frustration in Chapter 5?
(a) Plates and punches.
(b) Shoes and jewelry.
(c) Glasses and dishes.
(d) Water and wine.
2. What is the real reason why Hana is staying with the English patient?
(a) She promised herself she wouldn't let him die.
(b) She adores him.
(c) She is afraid to leave the villa.
(d) She is overwhelmed by watching soldiers die.
3. Why does Katharine panic when she is in the desert?
(a) Because her child is dying.
(b) Because she is lost in the wilderness.
(c) Because she is love with someone other than her husband.
(d) Because she has a terminal illness.
4. What do Kip and Caravaggio discuss as they go to the valley?
(a) Their families.
(c) Their hobbies.
(d) The war.
5. Which character appears in Chapter 5 in a flashback?
(d) Hana's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hana's love for Kip destined to fail?
2. What natural occurrences does the English patient encounter during his travels?
3. Why does Caravaggio think Hana is staying with the English patient?
4. What does Hana tell Caravaggio in the library?
5. What, presumably, is the English patient's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kip and his fascination with religious symbols.
2. What is the general purpose of Chapter 4? Is it effective?
3. Describe how Caravaggio finds out that Hana is at the villa.
4. Though the English patient's profession is not overtly given, what do you think he does for a living? Why?
5. Describe the English patient's reaction to Katharine's decision to end the affair.
6. How is the topic of companionship explored in Chapter 4?
7. What event in Chapter 3 brings Hana and Kip closer together?
8. How and why is Caravaggio tortured by the Germans?
9. Describe Hana's conversation with Caravaggio in the library after Kip and his partner arrive at the villa.
10. What do you think of the relationship between Hana and the English patient by the end of Chapter 1? Why?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)