|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Caravaggio know Hana?
(a) They dated in high school.
(b) Hana previously met Caravaggio in a hospital.
(c) He is a friend of her father's.
(d) Caravaggion is Hana's cousin.
2. Who does Clinton bring with him to the exploration?
(a) No one.
(b) His wife.
(c) His dog.
(d) His daughter.
3. Why is the English patient harsh when Katharine ends the relationship?
(a) He is afraid her husband is listening.
(b) He knows she will come back to him.
(c) He is hurt and angry.
(d) He really doesn't care.
4. What do Hana and Caravaggio hear one night as they are walking?
(a) Gunfire in the distance.
(b) Land mines exploding.
(c) The English patient, screaming.
5. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 5?
(a) The English patient's death.
(b) The birth of the English patient's child.
(c) The English patient talking more about Katharine and how their relationship ended.
(d) The reconciliation between the English patient and Katharine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the English patient's desert exploration?
2. What does Hana use to rebuild the parts of missing staircases in the villa?
3. How does Caravaggio escape from the general's room?
4. Which character is mentioned in Chapter 5?
5. Which of the following belongings does Kip have with him when he arrives at the villa for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to the plane, what else comes along with the plane? Why is this important?
2. Why does Katharine decide to breaks off her affair with the English patient?
3. How does the English patient behave when he and Katharine are apart?
4. What sort of presence does Kip have on the other characters in the villa?
5. How does Chapter 5 foreshadow later events in the novel?
6. What do you think of the relationship between Hana and the English patient by the end of Chapter 1? Why?
7. What activities do Hana and the English patient do together?
8. What is the general purpose of Chapter 4? Is it effective?
9. What purpose does the piano serve in the villa?
10. Describe the English patient's reaction to Katharine's decision to end the affair.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)