|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with the English patient?
(a) He has had brain damage.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is severely burned.
(d) He has broken limbs.
2. Why do the English patient and his companions have to move during the night?
(a) So they do not get dehydrated.
(b) To escape from plunderers.
(c) To avoid reptiles.
(d) To keep from getting buried by sand.
3. Why has the library been cordoned off?
(a) The floor is missing.
(b) The threat of booby traps.
(c) The reason is unclear.
(d) There are dangerous animals living there.
4. When Kip and Caravaggio go into the valley, what does Hana do?
(a) Takes the dog for a walk.
(b) Plays the piano.
(c) Stays at the villa and takes a bath.
(d) Wanders into the village.
5. How does Caravaggio escape from the general's room?
(a) He climbs through the vents.
(b) He runs out the door.
(c) He causes a distraction.
(d) He jumps out the window.
6. Why does Katharine panic when she is in the desert?
(a) Because she has a terminal illness.
(b) Because she is love with someone other than her husband.
(c) Because she is lost in the wilderness.
(d) Because her child is dying.
7. Who falls in love with the English patient at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The airplane pilot.
8. Who decides to end the love affair?
(a) The English patient.
9. Why does Caravaggio think Hana is staying with the English patient?
(a) She is physically ill.
(b) She is in love with him.
(c) She wants to escape her duties.
(d) She made a promise to her father.
10. What purpose did the villa serve before the English patient arrived there?
(a) It was a temporary hospital.
(b) It housed allied soldiers.
(c) It was a storage facility for weaponry.
(d) It was a barn for large animals.
11. Why do Kip and Caravaggio go into the valley?
(a) To wash clothes.
(b) To go hunting.
(c) To pick up supplies.
(d) To take a bath.
12. When in Chapter 5 does the English patient suffer?
(a) When he is apart from his beloved.
(b) After he is injured in battle.
(c) When his lover cheats on him.
(d) When he finds out his mother is dead.
13. Where in the villa does Hana sleep?
(a) In the English patient's bedroom.
(b) In different rooms.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the master suite.
14. Where does Hana get her vegetables?
(a) The market.
(b) Her garden.
(c) Kip brings them.
(d) The cellar.
15. Who does Hana remind Caravaggio of?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the English patient say to his lover when their affair is ending?
2. Which character appears in Chapter 5 in a flashback?
3. What does Caravaggio find and play music on?
4. With whom does the English patient fall in love during the desert exploration?
5. Why does Hana like the villa?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)