|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does the English patient fall in love during the desert exploration?
(c) The general's girlfriend.
2. Why do the English patient and his companions have to move during the night?
(a) To escape from plunderers.
(b) To keep from getting buried by sand.
(c) To avoid reptiles.
(d) So they do not get dehydrated.
3. In Chapter 4, what does Zerzura refer to?
(a) The country the English patient wants to inhabit.
(b) A state of calm found in the desert.
(c) The relationship between husband and wife.
(d) The place the English patient is searching for.
4. What do Hana and Caravaggio hear one night as they are walking?
(a) Land mines exploding.
(b) The English patient, screaming.
(c) Gunfire in the distance.
5. Why did Caravaggio attend the German generals' party?
(a) To blend in with the Gestapo.
(b) To steal from Germans.
(c) To get some free drinks.
(d) To meet women.
6. What does Kip do with his partner's body?
(a) Throws it in the lake.
(b) Buries it.
(c) Burns it.
(d) It is unclear.
7. What literary device is used when the English patient is talking about his relationship with Katharine?
8. Where does Katharine tell her lover they must end their affair?
(a) By the piano.
(b) The botanical garden.
(c) Inside the tent.
(d) In the villa.
9. What does Hana tell Caravaggio in the library?
(a) She wants to die.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is in love.
(d) She had an abortion.
10. What is the name of the English patient's partner?
11. Which character is mentioned in Chapter 5?
(d) None of the above.
12. Why does Kip originally come to the villa?
(a) To be reunited with Hana.
(b) To rid it of land mines.
(c) He is looking for his fiancée.
(d) He is hungry and sick.
13. Which of the following belongings does Kip have with him when he arrives at the villa for the first time?
(a) A razor.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A radio set.
(d) A horse.
14. When in Chapter 5 does the English patient suffer?
(a) When he is apart from his beloved.
(b) After he is injured in battle.
(c) When his lover cheats on him.
(d) When he finds out his mother is dead.
15. Why does the English patient love the desert?
(a) It reminds him of his wife.
(b) It is a place where people can be anonymous.
(c) He likes the heat.
(d) He was born there.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caravaggio escape from the general's room?
2. What organization does the English patient belong to?
3. Why does Hana say it became difficult to deal with her patients?
4. Who tries to talk Hana into leaving the villa with him?
5. Why is Kip fascinated by Christian symbols?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)