|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what time period is the English patient a great explorer of Africa?
(a) The 1900's.
(b) The 1930's.
(c) The 1940's.
(d) The 1970's.
2. What do Kip and Caravaggio discuss as they go to the valley?
(b) Their hobbies.
(c) Their families.
(d) The war.
3. Why does Hana say it became difficult to deal with her patients?
(a) She developed a sensitive stomach.
(b) She didn't like being a nurse.
(c) She cried all the time.
(d) They would lash out at her before they died.
4. Why do the English patient and his companions have to move during the night?
(a) So they do not get dehydrated.
(b) To escape from plunderers.
(c) To avoid reptiles.
(d) To keep from getting buried by sand.
5. With whom does the English patient fall in love during the desert exploration?
(b) The general's girlfriend.
6. Is the English patient still in love with Katharine when he is telling Hana about their relationship?
(a) He is, but only if he can marry her.
(c) It is unclear.
7. What does Caravaggio find and play music on?
(a) A gramophone.
(b) A piano.
(c) A record player.
(d) A fiddle.
8. How has the war affected the villa when Hana and the English patient first arrive?
(a) It has holes in the walls and ceilings.
(b) It has drastic water damage.
(c) The entire interior has been destroyed.
(d) It smells of gunsmoke.
9. What does Clinton let the English patient use to make exploration easier?
(a) His automobile.
(b) His radio.
(c) His metal detector.
(d) His plane.
10. Which character is mentioned in Chapter 5?
(b) None of the above.
11. For whom does Caravaggio work during the war?
(a) A coalmining company.
(b) British Intelligence.
(c) The American CIA.
(d) The German government.
12. What does Katharine throw at the English patient out of frustration in Chapter 5?
(a) Water and wine.
(b) Glasses and dishes.
(c) Shoes and jewelry.
(d) Plates and punches.
13. When Kip and Caravaggio go into the valley, what does Hana do?
(a) Wanders into the village.
(b) Plays the piano.
(c) Stays at the villa and takes a bath.
(d) Takes the dog for a walk.
14. What do Hana and Caravaggio hear one night as they are walking?
(a) Gunfire in the distance.
(c) The English patient, screaming.
(d) Land mines exploding.
15. Where does Katharine tell her lover they must end their affair?
(a) The botanical garden.
(b) Inside the tent.
(c) By the piano.
(d) In the villa.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Caravaggio fall as it explodes?
2. Which of the following describes the English patient's desert exploration?
3. What literary device is used when the English patient is talking about his relationship with Katharine?
4. Why does Kip originally come to the villa?
5. What does his lover say to the English patient in response?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)