|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was fired from the Forest Service after Phantom Woman burned?
2. When Jick visits Ray after leaving the forest fire site, what is Ray doing?
3. While waiting for school to start, what project does Jick undertake?
4. How does Mac sardonically describe the new firefighting strategy to Wisdom?
5. What firefighting strategy does Stanley offer to Mac, following his observations about the opposite slope?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cyrus better known by the nickname, "Wisdom?"
2. In the final scene of "English Creek," when Jick tells Stanley he's sorry about the way things went after the Phantom Woman fire, how does Stanley respond?
3. What is the cause of the past rift between Stanley and Mac, as revealed near the end of Part 3?
4. How does Stanley convince Mac to give him a private audience, when Mac is trying to strategize with Paul and the fire foremen?
5. Briefly describe Pete's strategy in getting rid of the incompetent Good Help without firing him.
6. How does Jick describe the avalanche of fire that fills the gulch, and why is the event significant?
7. Who are the members of Pete's hay crew at the beginning of the 1939 season, and what are their assigned duties?
8. When Jick sees Alec at the Double W Ranch, what are Alec's professional and personal circumstances?
9. Describe the final moments of Mac's life.
10. After Mac requests fifty firefighters and a cook, what positions are assigned to Stanley and Jick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities of and differences between Mac and Stanley, both rangers at some point in their lives, both more knowledgeable of the Two Medicine National Forest than anyone else, both intelligent men who care about the land, and yet so different in other ways.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss several examples in which Jick feels blindsided, especially by Mac, only to realize later the joy of completion and accepting responsibility. How do these experience help Jick in his journey toward manhood?
Essay Topic 3
How does Doig use foreshadowing and references to the past to forward his plots and reveal character traits? Consider at least three examples.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)