|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wisdom's real name?
2. Who had reported that the local ranger had been drinking when Phantom Woman burned?
3. Which member of the hay crew is injured, as a result of Good Help's incompetence?
4. While waiting for school to start, what project does Jick undertake?
5. At the end of Part 3, what grave announcement is made?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the six fires, ignited during a storm on August 25, 1939, progress?
2. When Jick and Lisabeth eat dinner alone, while Mac fights the forest fire, what news does Lisabeth share about Leona?
3. In the final scene of "English Creek," when Jick tells Stanley he's sorry about the way things went after the Phantom Woman fire, how does Stanley respond?
4. When Jick sees Alec at the Double W Ranch, what are Alec's professional and personal circumstances?
5. How, during haying season, does Jick find himself at the Double W Ranch with Alec?
6. What do Stanley and Jick notice about the grassy slope opposite to the fire, when they hike over?
7. At the beginning of fire season in 1939, how does the Forest Service plan to cut costs?
8. Who are the members of Pete's hay crew at the beginning of the 1939 season, and what are their assigned duties?
9. Why does Stanley suggest to Mac that their fireline should be moved to the top of the opposing slope, rather than the bottom of the slope that is currently on fire?
10. Briefly describe Pete's strategy in getting rid of the incompetent Good Help without firing him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the tradition of Twain, Doig uses colorful turns of phrase and slang to imbue his characters with personality. Compare and contrast the speech patterns of several characters in "English Creek." Explain what the characters' speech patterns reveal about their past, education level, and/or personality.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities of and differences between Mac and Stanley, both rangers at some point in their lives, both more knowledgeable of the Two Medicine National Forest than anyone else, both intelligent men who care about the land, and yet so different in other ways.
Essay Topic 3
Doig divides "English Creek" into four Parts, each introduced by a blurb from the "Gros Ventre Weekly Gleaner." What is the significance of the divisions in the narrative? What function does each Part serve? How do the newspaper blurbs relate to the Parts?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)