|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Jick leaves Alec and the ranch, what secret does Alec ask him to keep?
2. What position does Jick take in the firefighting effort?
3. What is Jick's job on the hay crew?
4. Who was fired from the Forest Service after Phantom Woman burned?
5. During Jick's first close-up view of the fire, how does he describe the orange flames?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stanley suggest to Mac that their fireline should be moved to the top of the opposing slope, rather than the bottom of the slope that is currently on fire?
2. At the end of Part 3, what ominous announcement is made, and by whom?
3. Briefly describe Pete's strategy in getting rid of the incompetent Good Help without firing him.
4. While Jick helps Pete with his machine repairs at the beginning of Part 3, how does Pete respond when Jick asks him about Stanley?
5. Why is Jick fond of operating the scatter rake?
6. How does Jick describe the avalanche of fire that fills the gulch, and why is the event significant?
7. At the beginning of fire season in 1939, how does the Forest Service plan to cut costs?
8. When Jick and Lisabeth eat dinner alone, while Mac fights the forest fire, what news does Lisabeth share about Leona?
9. In the final scene of "English Creek," when Jick tells Stanley he's sorry about the way things went after the Phantom Woman fire, how does Stanley respond?
10. When Jick sees Alec at the Double W Ranch, what are Alec's professional and personal circumstances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Descriptions of a past way of life are interwoven in the novel, from counting sheep to haying, from canning to square dancing. Discuss how these descriptions add depth and authenticity to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Doig divides "English Creek" into four Parts, each introduced by a blurb from the "Gros Ventre Weekly Gleaner." What is the significance of the divisions in the narrative? What function does each Part serve? How do the newspaper blurbs relate to the Parts?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss several examples in which Jick feels blindsided, especially by Mac, only to realize later the joy of completion and accepting responsibility. How do these experience help Jick in his journey toward manhood?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)