|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mac was a teenager, what was his relationship with Stanley?
(a) Stanley was a father figure.
(b) They were brothers by marriage.
(c) Stanley was Mac's teacher.
(d) Stanley was the landlord for Mac's family.
2. Which member of the hay crew does Good Help replace?
(c) His son, Clayton.
3. What is Jick's first meal after he leaves the scorched mountains?
(a) Fried chicken.
(b) Oyster stew.
(c) A ham sandwich.
(d) Fried fish.
4. On the morning when the new firefighting strategy is employed, by what time must Jick and Stanley evacuate?
(a) 7:00 in the evening.
(b) 1:00 in the afternoon.
(c) 10:00 in the morning.
5. How does Jick compare his job to that of the firefighters?
(a) As the fire has hunger for the forest, the firefighters have an epidemic of appetite.
(b) They are all physically exhausted.
(c) Their days stretch on as if weeks.
(d) While Jick uses fire to cook food, the firefighters use food as fuel to fight fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jick visits Alec at his ranch, how do the ranch hands decide which two should go into town with the foreman?
2. What is a scatter rake?
3. Based on the new firefighting strategy, where is the fire crew creating a new fireline?
4. How does the Forest Service plan to cut costs at the beginning of fire season n 1939?
5. After leaving Alec and the ranch, Jick shares what thought with Ray?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Part 3, what ominous announcement is made, and by whom?
2. What is the cause of the past rift between Stanley and Mac, as revealed near the end of Part 3?
3. Briefly describe Pete's strategy in getting rid of the incompetent Good Help without firing him.
4. Describe the final moments of Mac's life.
5. Describe the decorating project Jick undertakes, to keep himself occupied in the heat of August.
6. How does Jick describe the avalanche of fire that fills the gulch, and why is the event significant?
7. When Jick sees Alec at the Double W Ranch, what are Alec's professional and personal circumstances?
8. How do the six fires, ignited during a storm on August 25, 1939, progress?
9. Who are the members of Pete's hay crew at the beginning of the 1939 season, and what are their assigned duties?
10. At the beginning of fire season in 1939, how does the Forest Service plan to cut costs?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)