|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was fired from the Forest Service after Phantom Woman burned?
(a) Good Help.
2. While waiting for school to start, what project does Jick undertake?
(a) Canning with his mother.
(b) Learning how to tan hide.
(c) Learning how to rope.
(d) Wallpapering his porch bedroom.
3. How does Jick compare his job to that of the firefighters?
(a) As the fire has hunger for the forest, the firefighters have an epidemic of appetite.
(b) Their days stretch on as if weeks.
(c) They are all physically exhausted.
(d) While Jick uses fire to cook food, the firefighters use food as fuel to fight fire.
4. At Reese Ranch during haying season, what job is usually given to whichever Hebner boy happens to be twelve to fourteen years old?
(a) Stacker team driver.
(b) Lunch distribution.
(d) Running the scatter rake.
5. What is Jick's final news of Alec?
(a) He was living in China.
(b) He was killed in a desert in Tunisia.
(c) His plane crashed in the mountains near Germany.
(d) He was lost at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mac and Jick leave the scorched mountains, where do they stop to eat?
2. What is a scatter rake?
3. What is Jick's first meal after he leaves the scorched mountains?
4. How does the McCaskill family learn about Pearl Harbor?
5. Because the crop looks so favorable in the summer of 1939, how does the "Gleaner" describe the local ranchers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of the past rift between Stanley and Mac, as revealed near the end of Part 3?
2. What is the first breakfast Stanley and Jick prepare for the firefighters?
3. Why does Stanley suggest to Mac that their fireline should be moved to the top of the opposing slope, rather than the bottom of the slope that is currently on fire?
4. Describe the final moments of Mac's life.
5. What do Stanley and Jick notice about the grassy slope opposite to the fire, when they hike over?
6. Briefly describe Pete's strategy in getting rid of the incompetent Good Help without firing him.
7. At the end of Part 3, what ominous announcement is made, and by whom?
8. When Jick and Lisabeth eat dinner alone, while Mac fights the forest fire, what news does Lisabeth share about Leona?
9. Who are the members of Pete's hay crew at the beginning of the 1939 season, and what are their assigned duties?
10. Describe the decorating project Jick undertakes, to keep himself occupied in the heat of August.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)