|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What injury is suffered by a firefighter during Jick's first full day at the site?
(a) A crushed arm and collarbone.
(b) Burns on half of his body.
(c) A broken ankle and leg burns.
(d) A cracked skull.
2. Jick's hay crew spends their final days where?
(a) A sheep ranch.
(b) Camping and fishing at Flume Gulch.
(c) Chopping trees at the edge of the Two.
(d) Alfalfa fields.
3. After a lightning storm on August 25, how many fires are burning in Mac's English Creek district?
4. On the morning when the new firefighting strategy is employed, by what time must Jick and Stanley evacuate?
(a) 1:00 in the afternoon.
(c) 7:00 in the evening.
(d) 10:00 in the morning.
5. What is Wisdom's real name?
Short Answer Questions
1. During Jick's first close-up view of the fire, how does he describe the orange flames?
2. According to Pete, who is the only man who knows the mountains of the Two as well as Mac?
3. Who does Marcella marry, after her first marriage fails?
4. What is Jick's job on the hay crew?
5. During haying season, who employs Jick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the decorating project Jick undertakes, to keep himself occupied in the heat of August.
2. In the final scene of "English Creek," when Jick tells Stanley he's sorry about the way things went after the Phantom Woman fire, how does Stanley respond?
3. How does Stanley convince Mac to give him a private audience, when Mac is trying to strategize with Paul and the fire foremen?
4. While Jick helps Pete with his machine repairs at the beginning of Part 3, how does Pete respond when Jick asks him about Stanley?
5. After Mac requests fifty firefighters and a cook, what positions are assigned to Stanley and Jick?
6. How, during haying season, does Jick find himself at the Double W Ranch with Alec?
7. How does Jick describe the avalanche of fire that fills the gulch, and why is the event significant?
8. Who are the members of Pete's hay crew at the beginning of the 1939 season, and what are their assigned duties?
9. What, as revealed in Part 4, becomes of Jick's brother, Alec?
10. Briefly describe Pete's strategy in getting rid of the incompetent Good Help without firing him.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)