|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jick describe his father, regarding his relationship with the world?
(a) Over and under and over.
(b) Between and between and between.
(d) Betwixt and between and beyond.
2. How is the landscape of the Two country often described?
(a) A toupee of grass on a cranium of rock.
(b) A paradise, twice as beautiful as it ought to be.
(c) A pair of womanly mountains.
(d) Mountains squared off like a pair of dice.
3. When an intoxicated Dode approaches Jick prior to the rodeo, what is Jick drinking?
(a) A milkshake.
(c) Orange soda.
(d) Grape soda.
4. At the Fourth of July Picnic, who helps Pete make ice cream?
5. Before the rodeo begins, what does Alec ask Jick to do?
(a) Ask his parents for forgiveness.
(b) Be the best man at his wedding.
(c) Help him with his horse.
(d) Keep an eye on Leona.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town nearest to the McCaskill's home?
2. What task does Mac assign to Jick, for the time that he will be away?
3. Which horse at the rodeo is dangerously rambunctious in the chute?
4. As "English Creek" begins, how old is the narrator?
5. At the end of Part 2, how does Jick describe his Fourth of July?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jick finishes digging the new outhouse pit, why does Alec visit the McCaskill house?
2. What announcement by Jick's brother, Alec, early in Part 1, shatters the McCaskill family?
3. What is the topic of Lisabeth's speech at the Fourth of July Picnic?
4. During the square dance after the rodeo, how does Jick imagine his parents?
5. What fate befell many of the ranch families who used to live along English Creek prior to the start of the novel?
6. How, as Jick recollects, did he and Ray become friends?
7. Briefly describe Jick's mishap with Bubbles, the pack horse, on the way to Andy Gustafson's camp.
8. What two special privileges does Jick's father grant him on the morning of the Fourth of July?
9. What philosophical advice does Lisabeth offer to Jick in Part 2, after he repeatedly questions her about events in the past?
10. How is a counting vee used to count sheep?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)