|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the caller at the square dance?
2. How does Good Help dress up for a square dance?
(a) A solid-colored shirt rather than the usual plaid.
(b) Topping off his usual overalls with a flat cap.
(c) A pin-stripe suit.
(d) Gray jeans.
3. Who is injured during the rodeo?
4. Which former English Creek resident is the main topic of the speech made by a McCaskill?
5. From what country did the McCaskill family emigrate in the 1880s?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ed say is his most vivid memory of being at war?
2. Through what are sheep herded for the purpose of counting?
3. What sort of dress does Leona wear to the square dance?
4. During Lisabeth's wagon trip as a child, where did she and her family sleep?
5. Who is Jick's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jick rides alone to check on Walter Kyle's ranch early in Part 1, what thoughts does he have about women in general?
2. While Mac calls a square dance on the Fourth of July, who does Jick ask to dance and how does she respond?
3. Briefly describe Jick's mishap with Bubbles, the pack horse, on the way to Andy Gustafson's camp.
4. Briefly describe the main character of "English Creek," as portrayed early in the novel.
5. Why, in Part 1, does Jick describe his father as being "between and between and between?"
6. Early in Part 2, why does Jick feel hard used by Mac?
7. Why is the Two country described as a toupee of grass on a cranium of rock?
8. What fate befell many of the ranch families who used to live along English Creek prior to the start of the novel?
9. What two special privileges does Jick's father grant him on the morning of the Fourth of July?
10. How does the appearance of Velma affect Jick, when she arrives at the rodeo?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)