|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the novel begins, who is expected to attend college in the fall?
2. After leaving Canada Dan, why does Stanley scold Jick when he starts to open the gate to a cabin?
(a) The gate has a sign that states, "No Trespassing."
(b) It's dangerous to touch a wire fence during an electrical storm.
(c) The owner of the cabin could have a weapon.
(d) The cabin would be dangerous shelter in a storm, due to its tin roof.
3. Who ultimately skins most of the dead sheep?
(d) Canada Dan.
4. What is the name of the horse Jick rides in Part 1?
5. During the ladies' choice dance on the Fourth of July, who does Jick's mother choose?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the rodeo, where does Jick see Stanley?
2. What dance does the substitute caller choose?
3. How are Jick and Alec related?
4. What task does Mac assign to Jick, for the time that he will be away?
5. Who is the fiddle player at the square dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foods do Jick and his family enjoy at the Fourth of July Picnic?
2. In Part 1, why is Jick so upset when his father accidentally calls him "Alec?"
3. After the rodeo, when Jick says the summer has left him feeling unsettled, how does Ray respond?
4. During the square dance after the rodeo, how does Jick imagine his parents?
5. Why does Ed say his main memory of fighting in France is shaving?
6. Why, in Part 1, does Jick describe his father as being "between and between and between?"
7. What is the topic of Lisabeth's speech at the Fourth of July Picnic?
8. How, as Jick recollects, did he and Ray become friends?
9. When Earl and Alec come to blows outside the square dancing venue, how does the fight end?
10. What two special privileges does Jick's father grant him on the morning of the Fourth of July?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)