|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the second night Jick and Stanley stay at the abandoned cabin, what does Jick do for the first time?
(b) Drink beer.
(c) Fire a gun.
(d) Drink whiskey.
2. During the ladies' choice dance on the Fourth of July, who does Jick's mother choose?
3. Which character often warns others to look to the future rather than to the past?
4. Before the rodeo begins, what does Alec ask Jick to do?
(a) Help him with his horse.
(b) Be the best man at his wedding.
(c) Ask his parents for forgiveness.
(d) Keep an eye on Leona.
5. During dinner with Pete, while Mac is away, Lisabeth avoids discussing what subject?
(a) The upcoming haying season.
(b) Forest fires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ed say is his most vivid memory of being at war?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, where is Mac required to go?
3. In Part 1, who drags Jick down a hillside?
4. After the rodeo, while waiting for the square dance, how does Jick describe his summer?
5. How does Jick describe his father, regarding his relationship with the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the square dance after the rodeo, how does Jick imagine his parents?
2. In Part 1, why is Jick so upset when his father accidentally calls him "Alec?"
3. Briefly describe Jick's mishap with Bubbles, the pack horse, on the way to Andy Gustafson's camp.
4. Briefly describe Jick's first experience with drinking whiskey.
5. Why are eighteen of the sheep in the care of Canada Dan dead, and what work is Jick required to do as a result?
6. After the rodeo, why is Jick unable to finish his conversation with Stanley?
7. What announcement by Jick's brother, Alec, early in Part 1, shatters the McCaskill family?
8. What are the two main causes of Dode's rodeo injuries?
9. When Jick rides alone to check on Walter Kyle's ranch early in Part 1, what thoughts does he have about women in general?
10. Before the rodeo, why does Alec ask Jick to keep an eye on Leona?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)