|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Forest Service plan to cut costs at the beginning of fire season n 1939?
(a) Reduce the number of forest rangers.
(b) Not assign fire guards unless things begin to burn.
(c) Cancel scheduled seeding programs.
(d) Allow smaller fires to burn themselves out.
2. After a lightning storm on August 25, how many fires are burning in Mac's English Creek district?
3. How does Mac sardonically describe the new firefighting strategy to Wisdom?
(a) Firefighting by the numbers.
(b) Fighting fire with fire.
(c) Firefighting by braille.
(d) Firefighting by mail order.
4. Where does Jick seek shelter when an electrical storm blows up, on his way into town?
(a) An abandoned cabin.
(b) The Double W Ranch.
(c) The Reese Ranch.
(d) Under a large outcropping of rock.
5. Who is the mower on Jick's hay crew?
6. At Flume Gulch, when Jick catches Stanley drinking from a whiskey bottle, what does Jick learn?
(a) The bottle is filled with sugar water.
(b) The bottle is filled with white soda.
(c) The bottle is filled with water, only lightly laced with whiskey.
(d) The bottle is empty.
7. According to Pete, who is the only man who knows the mountains of the Two as well as Mac?
8. Which member of the hay crew does Good Help replace?
(b) His son, Clayton.
9. At the end of Part 3, who makes a grave announcement?
(a) Ray's father.
10. At the end of Part 3, what grave announcement is made?
(a) A loved one has passed away.
(b) Alec is missing.
(c) Another war has begun in Europe.
(d) Another forest fire is burning in the Two.
11. At Reese Ranch during haying season, what job is usually given to whichever Hebner boy happens to be twelve to fourteen years old?
(b) Running the scatter rake.
(c) Lunch distribution.
(d) Stacker team driver.
12. Who was the ranger at Indian Head in 1919, when Phantom Woman burned?
(b) Good Help.
13. Between lunch and dinner during their first full day at the camp, what does Stanley invite Jick to do?
(a) Take a walk with him.
(b) Share his whiskey.
(c) Sing along with him.
(d) Share extra food from lunch.
14. Who is the dispatcher at the ranger station?
15. What firefighting strategy does Stanley offer to Mac, following his observations about the opposite slope?
(a) Two firelines should be established.
(b) Using a fireline is the wrong strategy.
(c) The fireline should be moved to the top of the opposing slope.
(d) The fireline should be established in the valley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had told the main character's parents, long ago, that he looked like "the jick of the family?"
2. While waiting for school to start, what project does Jick undertake?
3. How does the McCaskill family learn about Pearl Harbor?
4. Who does Marcella marry, after her first marriage fails?
5. What is Alec's response, when Jick asks him to help their father fight the forest fire?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)