|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jick visits Alec at his ranch, how do the ranch hands decide which two should go into town with the foreman?
(a) A game of cards.
(b) A jig competition.
(c) Picking numbers, 1 through 100.
(d) Drawing straws.
2. How does Jick compare his job to that of the firefighters?
(a) While Jick uses fire to cook food, the firefighters use food as fuel to fight fire.
(b) They are all physically exhausted.
(c) Their days stretch on as if weeks.
(d) As the fire has hunger for the forest, the firefighters have an epidemic of appetite.
3. According to Pete, who is the only man who knows the mountains of the Two as well as Mac?
4. Who was the ranger at Indian Head in 1919, when Phantom Woman burned?
(b) Good Help.
5. The night of Jick's first day at camp, in how many places does Mack say the fire has jumped their fireline?
6. How does Mac sardonically describe the new firefighting strategy to Wisdom?
(a) Fighting fire with fire.
(b) Firefighting by the numbers.
(c) Firefighting by braille.
(d) Firefighting by mail order.
7. Based on the new firefighting strategy, where is the fire crew creating a new fireline?
(a) They are not creating a fireline.
(b) Rooster Mountain.
(c) Phantom Woman Mountain.
(d) Breed Butte.
8. What is Perry's winter job?
(c) Mending harnesses.
(d) Working in the lumber yard.
9. Which member of the hay crew is injured, as a result of Good Help's incompetence?
(a) His son, Clayton.
10. What is riding with hobbled stirrups?
(a) Riding with stirrups that are loose or broken.
(b) Tying the stirrups together with a rope across the horse's belly.
(c) Riding with stirrups that are too high.
(d) Riding with stirrups that are too low.
11. What is Jick's job on the hay crew?
(a) Lunch distribution.
(b) Running the scatter rake.
(d) Stacker team driver.
12. How does Jick describe the avalanche that suddenly fills the gulch, where the firefighters would have been if the original strategy had stayed in effect?
(a) A glorious tragedy in slow motion.
(b) An unspeakable horror.
(c) An exploding wave, a tide.
(d) A hoarde of demons.
13. Because the crop looks so favorable in the summer of 1939, how does the "Gleaner" describe the local ranchers?
(a) They are giddy like a bride on her wedding day.
(b) They are grinning like a Christian holding four aces.
(c) They are happy like a farmer at haying season.
(d) They are chomping at the bit like a racehorse.
14. When Mac and Jick leave the scorched mountains, where do they stop to eat?
(a) The Medicine Lodge Saloon.
(b) Sedgwick House.
(c) The Double W Ranch.
(d) The Lunchery.
15. Who goes into town to fetch the extra lunches?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Stanley and Jick notice about the slope opposite the fire?
2. What is a scatter rake?
3. What position does Stanley offer to fill in the firefighting effort?
4. During Jick's first close-up view of the fire, how does he describe the orange flames?
5. Who is the mower on Jick's hay crew?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)