|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Forest Service plan to cut costs at the beginning of fire season n 1939?
(a) Not assign fire guards unless things begin to burn.
(b) Allow smaller fires to burn themselves out.
(c) Cancel scheduled seeding programs.
(d) Reduce the number of forest rangers.
2. When Jick visits Alec's bunkhouse, how does Jick determine which bunk is his brother's?
(a) A picture of the McCaskill family.
(b) A picture of Leona.
(c) The unmade bed.
(d) The perfectly made bed.
3. At the end of Part 3, who makes a grave announcement?
(d) Ray's father.
4. What is a scatter rake?
(a) A ten-foot axle with two iron wheels, edged with curved teeth.
(b) A metal device for removing weeds.
(c) A wheelbarrow with a rake attached, for spreading seed.
(d) A hand rake used to remove foreign plant matter from hay fields.
5. When Mac and Jick leave the scorched mountains, where do they stop to eat?
(a) The Double W Ranch.
(b) The Lunchery.
(c) The Medicine Lodge Saloon.
(d) Sedgwick House.
6. Based on the new firefighting strategy, where is the fire crew creating a new fireline?
(a) They are not creating a fireline.
(b) Breed Butte.
(c) Phantom Woman Mountain.
(d) Rooster Mountain.
7. In August, after haying season, Jick's mother is busy with what?
(a) Spinning wool and weaving.
(b) Canning, pickling, and preserving food for the winter.
(c) Teaching school.
(d) Writing a chronicle of Gros Ventre history.
8. Where does Jick seek shelter when an electrical storm blows up, on his way into town?
(a) An abandoned cabin.
(b) The Double W Ranch.
(c) The Reese Ranch.
(d) Under a large outcropping of rock.
9. Which member of the hay crew is injured, as a result of Good Help's incompetence?
(b) His son, Clayton.
10. What is riding with hobbled stirrups?
(a) Riding with stirrups that are too low.
(b) Riding with stirrups that are loose or broken.
(c) Riding with stirrups that are too high.
(d) Tying the stirrups together with a rope across the horse's belly.
11. Who was fired from the Forest Service after Phantom Woman burned?
(b) Good Help.
12. Who was the ranger at Indian Head in 1919, when Phantom Woman burned?
(b) Good Help.
13. What is Alec's response, when Jick asks him to help their father fight the forest fire?
(a) He refuses.
(b) He joins the firefighters.
(c) He explains he is about to leave town.
(d) He ask his boss for permission, but is denied.
14. After returning home from the war, where does Jick briefly work as a ranger?
(a) Yellowstone National Park.
(b) Custer National Forest.
(c) The Two Medicine National Forest.
(d) Indian Head.
15. During haying season, who employs Jick?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jick's final news of Alec?
2. What is Wisdom's real name?
3. Between lunch and dinner during their first full day at the camp, what does Stanley invite Jick to do?
4. The night of Jick's first day at camp, in how many places does Mack say the fire has jumped their fireline?
5. How does Jick compare his job to that of the firefighters?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)