|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many fish had the deceased person caught, before he died?
2. How does Jick describe the avalanche that suddenly fills the gulch, where the firefighters would have been if the original strategy had stayed in effect?
(a) An exploding wave, a tide.
(b) A glorious tragedy in slow motion.
(c) A hoarde of demons.
(d) An unspeakable horror.
3. Because the crop looks so favorable in the summer of 1939, how does the "Gleaner" describe the local ranchers?
(a) They are giddy like a bride on her wedding day.
(b) They are grinning like a Christian holding four aces.
(c) They are chomping at the bit like a racehorse.
(d) They are happy like a farmer at haying season.
4. What is Jick's job on the hay crew?
(a) Running the scatter rake.
(b) Lunch distribution.
(d) Stacker team driver.
5. What is Jick's final news of Alec?
(a) His plane crashed in the mountains near Germany.
(b) He was living in China.
(c) He was lost at sea.
(d) He was killed in a desert in Tunisia.
6. What is Perry's winter job?
(b) Mending harnesses.
(c) Working in the lumber yard.
7. After returning home from the war, where does Jick briefly work as a ranger?
(a) Indian Head.
(b) The Two Medicine National Forest.
(c) Custer National Forest.
(d) Yellowstone National Park.
8. Which member of the hay crew is injured, as a result of Good Help's incompetence?
(a) His son, Clayton.
9. What position does Stanley offer to fill in the firefighting effort?
(a) Fire lookout.
(d) Water carrier.
10. After leaving Alec and the ranch, Jick shares what thought with Ray?
(a) He thinks Alec should leave town.
(b) He thinks Alec might be ill.
(c) He doesn't think Alec and Leona will get married.
(d) He has a crush on Leona.
11. How does Jick compare his job to that of the firefighters?
(a) Their days stretch on as if weeks.
(b) They are all physically exhausted.
(c) While Jick uses fire to cook food, the firefighters use food as fuel to fight fire.
(d) As the fire has hunger for the forest, the firefighters have an epidemic of appetite.
12. What is riding with hobbled stirrups?
(a) Tying the stirrups together with a rope across the horse's belly.
(b) Riding with stirrups that are loose or broken.
(c) Riding with stirrups that are too low.
(d) Riding with stirrups that are too high.
13. What is Wisdom's job on the hay crew?
(b) Stacker team driver.
(d) Running the scatter rake.
14. Who goes into town to fetch the extra lunches?
15. Who does Marcella marry, after her first marriage fails?
(d) A lawyer from Missoula.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alec's response, when Jick asks him to help their father fight the forest fire?
2. What is Jick's first meal after he leaves the scorched mountains?
3. The night of Jick's first day at camp, in how many places does Mack say the fire has jumped their fireline?
4. By what time each day is Mac required to report to the Forest Service, indicating whether or not the fire is under control?
5. At Reese Ranch during haying season, what job is usually given to whichever Hebner boy happens to be twelve to fourteen years old?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)