|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stanley suggest Jick could measure an inch?
(a) The width of a bridle.
(b) The width of his belt.
(c) The width of his thumb.
(d) The length of a fish hook.
2. Who is the dispatcher at the ranger station?
3. What is unusual about the paperwork Stanley submits for helping with the firefighting effort?
(a) It is missing some pages.
(b) He uses a false last name.
(c) He crosses out and initials some paragraphs.
(d) He signs with an X.
4. How does Jick compare his job to that of the firefighters?
(a) As the fire has hunger for the forest, the firefighters have an epidemic of appetite.
(b) They are all physically exhausted.
(c) While Jick uses fire to cook food, the firefighters use food as fuel to fight fire.
(d) Their days stretch on as if weeks.
5. In August, after haying season, Jick's mother is busy with what?
(a) Teaching school.
(b) Writing a chronicle of Gros Ventre history.
(c) Canning, pickling, and preserving food for the winter.
(d) Spinning wool and weaving.
6. Who was Wisdom with, before being brought to the Reese Ranch for the 1939 haying season?
(a) Happy Helen.
(b) Bouncing Betty.
(c) Fancy Nancy.
(d) Giggling Gertie.
7. By what time each day is Mac required to report to the Forest Service, indicating whether or not the fire is under control?
(a) 1:00 each afternoon.
(b) 10:00 each morning.
(d) 7:00 each evening.
8. When Mac leaves to fight the final English Creek fire, what does Lisabeth reveal to Jick about Leona?
(a) Leona is trying to decide whether to marry Alec or finish high school.
(b) Leona is ill.
(c) Leona has left Alec.
(d) Leona has found another man.
9. When Mac was a teenager, what was his relationship with Stanley?
(a) Stanley was the landlord for Mac's family.
(b) Stanley was Mac's teacher.
(c) They were brothers by marriage.
(d) Stanley was a father figure.
10. During Jick's first close-up view of the fire, how does he describe the orange flames?
(a) A dancing tribe amid the trees.
(b) Ravenous tigers devouring the trees.
(c) A vertical sunset.
(d) Orange soda pouring down the mountainside.
11. Where does Jick fight in World War II?
(b) In a submarine.
(c) The Aleutians.
12. What do Stanley and Jick notice about the slope opposite the fire?
(a) It is very hot.
(b) It has already burned.
(c) It is rocky, lacking anything that might burn.
(d) It is too steep to climb.
13. How does the Forest Service plan to cut costs at the beginning of fire season n 1939?
(a) Allow smaller fires to burn themselves out.
(b) Cancel scheduled seeding programs.
(c) Reduce the number of forest rangers.
(d) Not assign fire guards unless things begin to burn.
14. What is Perry's winter job?
(a) Mending harnesses.
(c) Working in the lumber yard.
15. What firefighting strategy does Stanley offer to Mac, following his observations about the opposite slope?
(a) Using a fireline is the wrong strategy.
(b) The fireline should be established in the valley.
(c) The fireline should be moved to the top of the opposing slope.
(d) Two firelines should be established.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Reese Ranch during haying season, what job is usually given to whichever Hebner boy happens to be twelve to fourteen years old?
2. During haying season, who employs Jick?
3. Before Jick leaves Alec and the ranch, what secret does Alec ask him to keep?
4. How does Mac sardonically describe the new firefighting strategy to Wisdom?
5. What is Jick's favorite card game?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)