|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in "English Creek," what task do Jick and his father set out to do?
(a) Shear sheep.
(b) Chop wood.
(c) Count sheep.
(d) Bale hay.
2. At the beginning of Part 2, where is Mac required to go?
(a) Missoula, to meet his brother.
(b) Butte, to renew his ranger certification.
(c) Missoula, for a course on fire danger.
(d) Butte, for a course on deforestation.
3. Why does Stanley hang behind Jick and disappear frequently, as the two ride to meet Canada Dan?
(a) His saddle is broken.
(b) He is tending his injury.
(c) He has trouble controlling his horse.
(d) He is taking swigs of whiskey.
4. What color is Leona's hair?
(a) Mouse brown.
(b) Golden blonde.
(c) Vivid red.
(d) Raven black.
5. Who is the fiddle player at the square dance?
6. What is a jick?
(a) A device used for shearing sheep.
(b) A dance, popular in the 1920s.
(c) A jack that shares the color of the jack of trumps in some card games.
(d) A horse-drawn wheel and axle, used for haying.
7. Before the rodeo, how does Leona address Jick?
(c) Little brother.
(d) By his real name, John Angus.
8. As "English Creek" begins, how old is the narrator?
9. As the novel begins, who is expected to attend college in the fall?
10. Who is injured during the rodeo?
11. During Lisabeth's wagon trip as a child, where did she and her family sleep?
(a) In the wagon.
(b) In a tent.
(c) Under the wagon.
(d) At friends' houses.
12. What is the name of the horse Jick rides in Part 1?
13. When Pete visits while Mac is away, what is the main topic of conversation during dinner?
(a) Forest fires.
(b) The upcoming haying season.
(c) Pete's dislike of Mac.
(d) Alec's summer plans.
14. Through what are sheep herded for the purpose of counting?
(a) The eye of a needle.
(b) A needle vee.
(c) A counting vee.
(d) A sheep gate.
15. Who is Pat Hoy?
(a) A forest ranger.
(b) Rider for Mac.
(c) Herder for Wendell.
(d) Herder for Dode.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mac's long-standing bet whenever he and his sons go fishing?
2. Which character often warns others to look to the future rather than to the past?
3. What is the name of the local paper for the Two country?
4. In the evening after dinner with Pete, what does Jick read about in the local paper?
5. During dinner at the McCaskill home early in Part 1, what is the subject of the family's argument?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)