|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the novel begins, who is expected to attend college in the fall?
2. What color is Alec's hair?
3. During dinner at the McCaskill home early in Part 1, what is the subject of the family's argument?
(a) Jick wants to quit high school.
(b) Alec plans to break his engagement.
(c) Jick does not want to count sheep with his father.
(d) Alec plans to marry Leona rather than go to college.
4. Who is the fiddle player at the square dance?
5. As Mac prepares to leave for a week, what does he almost forget?
(a) His lunch.
(b) His diary.
(c) His hat.
(d) To kiss his wife goodbye.
6. Which character often warns others to look to the future rather than to the past?
7. Who ultimately skins most of the dead sheep?
(a) Canada Dan.
8. What is Alec's special talent?
(a) Working with numbers.
(b) Shearing sheep.
9. What is the name of the horse Jick rides in Part 1?
10. Who is the caller at the square dance?
11. Which former English Creek resident is the main topic of the speech made by a McCaskill?
12. What sort of dress does Leona wear to the square dance?
(a) Pink chiffon.
(b) Gold satin.
(c) White taffeta.
(d) Blue polka-dot.
13. During dinner with Pete, while Mac is away, Lisabeth avoids discussing what subject?
(a) Forest fires.
(b) The upcoming haying season.
14. Garland Hebner is better known by what name?
(b) Slow Moving.
(c) Good Help.
(d) Good Time.
15. As described in Part 1, Alec is employed by whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time every evening does Ray's father turn on his radio?
2. Who is Jick's best friend?
3. When an intoxicated Dode approaches Jick prior to the rodeo, what is Jick drinking?
4. After the square dance, who gets into a fist fight?
5. How are Jick and Alec related?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)