|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mac describe the fact that Jick is starting to grow up?
(a) "Your legs are long enough that they reach the ground."
(b) "You're dry behind the ears."
(c) "You're tall enough to need a bigger horse."
(d) "You didn't just fall off the turnip truck."
2. At the end of Part 2, how does Jick describe his Fourth of July?
(a) A set of hours worth the price of the rest of the life.
(b) A toupee of grass on a cranium of rock.
(c) An unsettled day.
(d) The end of summer and youth.
3. After mulling over his mother's wagon trip for a day, Jick leads his mother into discussing what topic?
(a) A dispute between Pete and Mac.
(b) Her courtship with Jick's father.
(c) Montana history.
4. In Part 2, when does Alec arrive at the McCaskill house for a visit?
(a) Just after his father returns.
(b) On the Fourth of July.
(c) On the final day before his father's return.
(d) During Pete's dinner visit.
5. Who is Mary Ellen?
(a) Alec's fiancee.
(b) Leona's sister.
(c) Ray's mother.
(d) Ray's sister.
6. What question does Jick ask Stanley, after the rodeo?
(a) Why Stanley didn't ride in the rodeo.
(b) Why Stanley rode in the rodeo.
(c) Why Stanley doesn't get along with Mac.
(d) Why Stanley quit his job as ranger in the Two Medicine Forest.
7. Through what are sheep herded for the purpose of counting?
(a) A counting vee.
(b) A needle vee.
(c) A sheep gate.
(d) The eye of a needle.
8. What does Ed say is his most vivid memory of being at war?
(a) French women.
(b) Flying planes.
(d) Killing a man.
9. Who is the fiddle player at the square dance?
10. In the evening after dinner with Pete, what does Jick read about in the local paper?
(a) Gossip about his mother and other local ladies.
(b) A chronicle of Stanley's past.
(c) A story from 25 years before, about Jick's mother and her family taking a wagon trip.
(d) New strategies for fighting forest fires.
11. During Lisabeth's wagon trip as a child, where did she and her family sleep?
(a) Under the wagon.
(b) At friends' houses.
(c) In the wagon.
(d) In a tent.
12. What does Ray jokingly prescribe as a cure for Jick's faults?
(a) Vicks VapoRub.
(b) Oyster stew.
(c) Grape soda.
(d) Listening to the radio.
13. During the ladies' choice dance on the Fourth of July, who does Jick's mother choose?
14. What is the name of the horse Jick rides in Part 1?
15. What is Mac and Jick's favorite spot in the National Forest?
(a) Noon Creek.
(b) Flame Gulch.
(c) Gros Ventre.
(d) Phantom Woman Mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ray and Jick plan to eat during a break from square dancing?
2. The morning after counting sheep with Dode, what does Mac do to anger Jick?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, where is Mac required to go?
4. Which horse at the rodeo is dangerously rambunctious in the chute?
5. When the dance caller needs a break, who does he recruit as his replacement?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)