English Creek, Part 1, Pages 1-35
• Jick McCaskill, a fourteen-year-old boy living in Montana, is the narrator and main character of "English Creek."
• The novel takes place in 1939, with the Depression finally loosening its grip on Gros Ventre and English Creek in Montana.
• Jick's older brother, Alec, shocks the family by announcing his plans to marry Leona and become a cowherd, rather than attending college.
• Alec is employed as a ranch hand by Wendell, greedy owner of the Double W Ranch, much to the dismay of his family.
• Jick's father, Mac, is the forest ranger for the Two Medicine National Forest.
• Mac's family emigrated from Scotland in the 1880s and herded sheep.
• Jick's mother, Lisabeth, grew up on a ranch on Noon Creek, which is not far from English Creek.
• By the time of the novel, many ranches in the Two area were abandoned or sold to the greedy...
This section contains 3,030 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)