|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Arthur take with him when he says that he is going to ask for help fighting Lancelot?
2. Where does Bishop Sansum's marriage take place?
3. Who is the official chief councilor of the king in the days after the oaths of the Brotherhood of Britain?
4. Who do Dinas and Lavaine say had stolen the treasures?
5. How old is Tudwal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does putting Eachern, an Irish spearman, in the schoolroom help Mordred behave?
2. What does the law allow if a king is unfit to rule?
3. What does Lancelot do about Arthur's offer of mercy for his men?
4. What does Bishop Cadoc look like?
5. What do the people of Dumnonia feel about Mordred's becoming king?
6. Where do Derfel and his family go to live after Mordred becomes king?
7. When Merlin interrogates Mordred after Derfel hits him, why does Mordred say that he sent Arthur and Derfel away?
8. What does Nimue say about Guinevere after she is rescued from the Sea Palace?
9. What does Arthur say whenever Mordred's suitability to be king is raised in the Royal Council?
10. What does Morgan say happened the night that the tor was destroyed by fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Christianity and the religions of Mithras and Isis. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Derfel frequently tells Igraine that the stories she has heard are not true. Compare and contrast the legends about Arthur and his exploits that the bards sing with the true story as told by Derfel.
Essay Topic 3
Arthur lives his life by oaths. Discuss what Arthur means when he says, "But if we abandon oaths then we abandon guidance. We fall into chaos." Use examples from the novel.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)