|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who put a scar on Derfel's left hand?
2. How long does Derfel estimate that the battle took between the Britons and the Saxons?
3. How many ponies does Cuneglas give Derfel and Cinewyn as they follow Merlin on the Dark Road?
4. Who does Cuneglas say is/are the enemies of Powys?
5. Before the journey to find the cauldron, where does Merlin pledge his life for the search?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Derfel believe that Diwrnach wants them to find the cauldron?
2. How did Arthur improve the taxes in Dumnonia?
3. Why is Arthur in Derfel's debt after the battle at Lugg Vale?
4. What did Merlin pledge his life for before leaving to find the cauldron?
5. How is Derfel met by the pagans and by the Christians as he and his men march to Corinium?
6. How did Cuneglas and Derfel get along after Ceinwyn refused to marry Lancelot?
7. Who does Arthur want initiated into the fellowship of Mithras and why does Derfel protest?
8. How do Merlin and Nimue distract the Saxons' war dogs?
9. How did Arthur pay for all the labor needed to fortify southern Dumnonia for the war against the Saxons?
10. Who is Sagramor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the decision that Meurig and Lancelot make during the battle with the Saxons and the consequences of their decisions. Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Arthur lives his life by oaths. Discuss what Arthur means when he says, "But if we abandon oaths then we abandon guidance. We fall into chaos." Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether it was Mordred's idea or Sansum's idea to have Arthur and Derfel ambushed and killed in Cadoc's high valley. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)