|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Merlin say that Arthur wishes Derfel would marry?
2. How many men does Aelle take with him to meet with Arthur and Cerdic in London?
3. How many of Derfel's men left him when he decides to follow the Dark Road?
4. Who does Cuneglas say is/are the enemies of Powys?
5. When Aelle comes to talk with Cuneglas, Meurig, Agricola, Merlin, Sagramor, and Derfel before battle, who is the one person he does not insult?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Merlin, Derfel, and the others escape from Diwrnach?
2. Why does Nimue kill the King of Siluria at the battle of Lugg Vale?
3. How does Lancelot evade being turned down to join the Fellowship of Mithras?
4. How does Derfel realize that all the ruses that they had devised to make Aelle attack and the sacrifice they made were wasted efforts?
5. When Cavan and his men want to renew their oaths to Derfel, what does he allow them to paint on their shields and why?
6. What is Derfel's childhood history?
7. How did Arthur pay for all the labor needed to fortify southern Dumnonia for the war against the Saxons?
8. Who does Arthur want initiated into the fellowship of Mithras and why does Derfel protest?
9. How do Derfel and Igraine keep Bishop Sansum from knowing that Derfel is writing tales of Arthur?
10. What slows Arthur's troops as they go to battle the Saxons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the divine right of kings and how that belief affects events in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
When Ceinwyn decides to be Derfel's mate rather than Lancelot's mate, the author writes that Derfel and Ceinwyn ran off "to chaos." Explain why Ceinwyn's decision leads to chaos. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the decision that Meurig and Lancelot make during the battle with the Saxons and the consequences of their decisions. Use examples from the novel.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)