|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, dressed in full war gear, flanks Lancelot when he comes to the baptismal site in Corinium?
2. How many of Arthur's spearmen are Christians?
3. Whom does Arthur want the Princess of Powys to marry?
4. Where is Culhwch injured during the battle with the Saxons?
5. What trees grow on the steep sides of the valley where Ceinwyn and Derfel stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cerdic humiliate Merlin?
2. How did Arthur pay for all the labor needed to fortify southern Dumnonia for the war against the Saxons?
3. Why is Arthur in Derfel's debt after the battle at Lugg Vale?
4. How do Merlin, Derfel, and the others escape from Diwrnach?
5. Why does Derfel believe that Diwrnach wants them to find the cauldron?
6. Who is Sagramor?
7. How does Arthur feel about Lancelot's making peace with Cerdic?
8. When Cavan and his men want to renew their oaths to Derfel, what does he allow them to paint on their shields and why?
9. How does Lancelot evade being turned down to join the Fellowship of Mithras?
10. How does Arthur try to buy Agricola's vote to make Lancelot part of the fellowship of Mithras?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the divine right of kings and how that belief affects events in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Arthur lives his life by oaths. Discuss what Arthur means when he says, "But if we abandon oaths then we abandon guidance. We fall into chaos." Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict between the Britons and the Saxons. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)